Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Xarbala posted:

Note that the Summoner and Hellbringer are, design-wise, omnimech descendants of the IS Thunderbolt and Warhammer respectively. It's why the IS calls the Summoner a Thor (well it's the real reason, supposedly it's because of "Lightning" ERPPC and "Thunder" LB 10-X but that reads like a hastily-put-together after-the-fact in-fluff justification). The other nordic reporting names are because the Lyrans and Rasalhagans had a good theme going and decided that they were going to stick with it.

A while back PTN also pointed out that the Clan mechs tend to have really prominent gun arms, at least more than the IS does.

But yeah, the Vulture, Mad Cat, Warhawk, Daishi, STONE RHINO, Cauldron-Born, Turkina, all those big chickenwalkers are Clan. You occasionally get well-known humanoid designs like the Loki, Thor, Gargoyle, Kodiak, but not nearly as many as the IS has. And while the IS has its fair share of birbmechs, it doesn't have nearly as many varieties as the Clans. At least not until so many people are used to Clan designs in the IS that they decide it's a cool thing to get in on.

Also way late in the timeline, when Clan Jade Falcon goes completely batshit, they have a bunch of humanoid mechs themed to look like men wearing bird costumes. I could apply a metacommentary to it, but I won't. Clan Jade Falcon goes extremely loving batshit after killing off their Scientist caste post-Wars of Reaving.

Stone Rhino is actually an IS mech built by Ameris that never really worked. The clans just made it functional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Rhymenoserous posted:

Stone Rhino is actually an IS mech built by Ameris that never really worked. The clans just made it functional.

For the non Grogs

Amaris is Battletech Hitler

The Stone Rhino is the Maus.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Argas posted:

How do people even overheat in Battletech if they are logical.

"The Orion is getting up next turn and it is going to poo poo on someone if I don't knock out a torso" is a pretty logical reason to overheat

Speaking of Orions. Just for the people who don't know about the ridiculousness of Clan tech.

A ON1-K has 10 Heatsinks, a speed of 64.8 km/h and carries a 1 AC10, 1 LRM15, 2 MLs and an SRM4.

A Mad Cat (Timberwolf) has 15 Double Heatsinks, moves at 86.4 km/h and carries *deep breath* 2 ER LLs, 2 ER MLs, 1 MPL, 2 LRM20s, and 2 MGs.

Both are 75 tonners.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Does travel to the successor states ever open up?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
A few days ago when I first tried this it had some weird freeze after the tutorial but eventually it mysteriously worked fine and since then I've been freakin glued to this game and finished the story earlier today. Is there anything different going on in the different areas of space? You have this big navigation screen with loads of different systems but while the story was going on you really only hang out in one tiny little patch of space and now that I'm done with the story I get the feeling there's no real reason to go exploring because I'll probably just encounter the same contracts on the same maps that I've already played. Not that I'm complaining mind you, the game was plenty long and fun as is.

I'd love to have a separate campaign mode where you don't have the story and thus the missions that freely hand out special snowflake ships, piles of cash, and that highlander. Just be a mercenary company with a ship that's maybe a little better than the leopard struggling to make ends meet. Something like Mount&Blade but with mechs. The game also could really do with having some of the random contracts be bundled together in little mini-campaigns, kind of how the different planets in MW4: Mercs worked. Give what you're doing a bit more context and grounding. Maybe the missions take place in a close enough time frame that you have to deploy a separate lance to each, give a bit of a reason to use some of that huge mechbay and pilot capacity you end up with in the endgame.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Pattonesque posted:

remember how in MW4: Mercs you got so many Arguses that they were basically a form of currency?

drat this brings back memories. Those things were at least somewhat fun to kit out since they could carry something like a LRM20 and 2LL or something silly.

The currency I always seemed to get dozens of were left over Chimeras. Those things didn't have any strength outside of being irritating as hell.

One of my favorite lites in the MW4 games has to be the Osiris. Talk about a hard to hit little poo poo. It was a blast in multiplayer.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Mo_Steel posted:

I love punching mechs. Sometimes you get just okay hits, and then sometimes you get this:

:shepface: Just annihilated.

I need to get Shadowplay working again...

Medusa gets 2 clean headshot kills back to back. Both on Stalkers
Next mission, Glitch is hit once by an AC/20. To the face. Medusa turns around and punches the offending Victors head clean off

RIP Glitch, it took the improbable to end your bloodlust

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Baron Porkface posted:

Does travel to the successor states ever open up?

As soon as you finish the campaign the entire map opens up.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Gwaihir posted:

As soon as you finish the campaign the entire map opens up.

but still just your specific corner of the map. So no going to like, Luthien

Virulence
Jun 14, 2012

Glitch always reminding me how she's the best with lines I've yet to hear even after 60+ missions with her.

"After the mission, let's make Snowmen! :yayclod:"

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Argas posted:

I just did Smithon. My Centurion LRM boat that did not move from the landing zone rode the line so hard its arms were down to 5 internal hp despite not taking a hit.

Only was like 80k in repairs, easily worth it.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Pattonesque posted:

but still just your specific corner of the map. So no going to like, Luthien

Probably for the best. If the Argo wanders too far out of the Periphery, it's likely to have an unfortunate run in with Comstar.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 06:25 on May 2, 2018

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Virulence posted:

Glitch always reminding me how she's the best with lines I've yet to hear even after 60+ missions with her.

What I really want is a Kratos voicepack, where every time I'm about to tell him to do something stupid he just says "BOY."

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Argas posted:

Forgetting that my Jaeger LRM boat can't fire 4 full volleys in a row unless its standing in water and hitting FIRE EVERYTHING anyway. :v:

Ersatz posted:

Sometimes a thing needs to die RIGHT NOW.

Or this. One mission went so fuckin far sideways I had no choice but to just keep shooting the whole time or everyone would have died. When I ran out of missiles I was down to like 10% structure.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Virulence posted:

"Here I fly... HERE YOU DIE!"
:sparkles:

Can't wait for someone to figure out changing voices. Got the original MechCommander files on hand. My avatar will ride again, especially as I found there are lines for ramming attacks

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

One of my animes has Glitch's voice, one has Behemoth's, one has Wildfire's, and one has Mockingbird's.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Except sometime what the Local Government SWEARS to you is a Heavy Mech turns out to be a Schrek PPC Carrier or Manticore :v:

That's actually pretty sneaky of them, they save a lot of C-bills on greedy mercs.

Pattonesque posted:

90% of the folks who play Mechwarrior Online are Dads, and 90% of those Dads are Tactical Dads who babble incessantly about FLANKING and SUPPRESSIVE FIRE and FOX 2 FOX 2 FOX 2

they usually die while trying a brilliant flank 1000m away from their teammates in a Dire Wolf and blame their teammates for it

DANGER CLOSE

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Paingod556 posted:

"Here I fly... HERE YOU DIE!"
:sparkles:

"YOU get a headshot, and YOU get a headshot!

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Bubbacub posted:

That's actually pretty sneaky of them, they save a lot of C-bills on greedy mercs.

DANGER CLOSE

Periphery mum discovers one weird trick for cheap mercenary contracts, mechwarriors hate her!

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Bubbacub posted:

DANGER CLOSE

Permission to speak?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

A grasshopper fitted out with 7 medium lasers and 4 small lasers is one hell of a lightshow.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
So I've been playing around with light mechs a little... and I find this panther to be the best one I've done. Lots of armor and high alpha with good movement.

Edit: i think the firestarter is probably better but I don't have one yet to putz around in.

TipsyMcStagger fucked around with this message at 07:19 on May 2, 2018

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Synthbuttrange posted:

"YOU get a headshot, and YOU get a headshot!

When she says this just before actually headshotting two 'Mechs it is a thing of wonder and beauty.

Back Hack posted:

Permission to speak?

Denied.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
I just got my first heavy mech, an ON1-V! :toot: Any good builds for it? I'm thinking AC10, 2x ML and a SRM 10 with max armor.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
From what I've seen, this game looks quite moddable- is there any way to increase the number of mechs you can bring on a mission?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

School Nickname posted:

I just got my first heavy mech, an ON1-V! :toot: Any good builds for it? I'm thinking AC10, 2x ML and a SRM 10 with max armor.

Drop some back armor and put an AC20 on it instead

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Control Volume posted:

A grasshopper fitted out with 7 medium lasers and 4 small lasers is one hell of a lightshow.

If you decide you don't give a gently caress about overheating you can slap on even more lasers.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Question about what's possibly the last mission:
Darius says I should be prepared to field multiple fully equipped lances. How many mechs and pilots do I actually need for this?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Black Griffon posted:

Darius says I should be prepared to field multiple fully equipped lances. How many mechs and pilots do I actually need for this?

It's just two back-to-back missions with no break period between so you can switch over to pristine mechs/pilots if you need to.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Black Griffon posted:

It's two missions back to back, no rest and refit allowed. So if your 'Mechs get damaged in mission 1, they'll still be damaged for Mission 2. Also if a pilot takes a hit on Mission 1 they'll be unavailable for Mission 2, but Kamea joins you for the last battle of the game. Still, I found it very useful to have a semi-competent backup pilot (who got all her XP out of training pods) after my avatar and Dekker both took hits.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
The dragon isn't a great heavy, but putting an AC-20 and 2 medium lasers carried me through the early to mid portion of the game when my only other heavy was a thunderbolt.

Punchy dragon finally got pulled when I was seeing more heavies than mediums and the armor just wasn't cutting the cake any more. For a good slice of plot missions my lance was AC20 Dragon close, Ac10 Centurion medium, Laser/SRM Shadowhawk scout, and PPC/LRM Thunderbolt sniper.

The centurion got replaced with a Highlander, then the dragon with another Thunderbolt, and then the Shadowhawk with a Grasshopper.

I've just picked up an Orion so I think I'm going to replace my AC20 Thunderbolt with an AC20 Orion.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Is there a Flamer + that adds more heat DMG or more ammo?

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
it would be really nice if enemy reinforcements couldn't spawn behind you, be generated with an entire lance of catapult-k2-type sniper boats, act immediately, and knockdown + core out one of your mechs before you got another action

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
normally when you gently caress up and get one of your mechs killed you get sad/mad but i don't even know how to react to this, it's not like i had any control whatsoever about the outcome

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
My dragon actually gets most of my kills, it's running a +++ AC5 , and a +++ LRM, running tons of extra damage and stability damage, so it has a lot of synergy with my 3 ++ LRM centurion.

The full team is a Zeus, Dragon, Highlander and Centurion. Im sitting on 2/3 salvage for the Catapult C1 and 2/3 for the PPC Catapult, but I can't find a third piece and the centurion is too useful as a missile boat to trade it in for my grasshopper or my thunderbolt.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Here's two of my orions. The ac one has quite light armor, but it's serviceable when paired with a highlander.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Finally got an Atlas. Promptly stuffed all my LosTech in it. First mission I deployed it was a story mission where the greater part of the OpFor was a bunch of light mechs all streaming into one small section of the map :getin:

Malek Deneith
Jun 1, 2011

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

It's two missions back to back, no rest and refit allowed. So if your 'Mechs get damaged in mission 1, they'll still be damaged for Mission 2. Also if a pilot takes a hit on Mission 1 they'll be unavailable for Mission 2, but Kamea joins you for the last battle of the game. Still, I found it very useful to have a semi-competent backup pilot (who got all her XP out of training pods) after my avatar and Dekker both took hits.
Does armor damage that didn't go into structure get repaired (seeing as that usually takes no time or cost) or is that no-go also? And what about ammo, does that get replenished?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Malek Deneith posted:

Does armor damage that didn't go into structure get repaired (seeing as that usually takes no time or cost) or is that no-go also? And what about ammo, does that get replenished?

I believe so, and ammo gets replenished. I believe that mechanically it's like you're running a second mission straight after the first, just without a visit to the mech bay to tinker between missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Night10194 posted:

None of your pilots are irreplaceable. Even your PC isn't special, just destined to always narrowly survive.

My PC has so far gotten murdered literally every time. Then 3 months later he recovers to get murdered again. Go team!