Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Alpha Phoenix posted:

. To their credit, the worst models in Warmachine are still playable, and the faction balance is nearly perfect.

I do feel like this can't really be stressed enough. Like it's not an absolutely perfect situation, but it's close enough that you can say this and no one will argue with you. Which is basically unheard of?

Case in point, I often play with two units of high shields, which are widely regarded as the worst unit in the game, and it's still fun and close fought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

To be fair if this subfactioning continues that means one day maybe Skorne will finally have the Cyclops theme that will reward me for owning 11 cyclops savages.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

waah posted:

To be fair if this subfactioning continues that means one day maybe Skorne will finally have the Cyclops theme that will reward me for owning 11 cyclops savages.

You sort of already do. DoA can easily run 5-7 savages under Morghoul1 and have them tear stuff up.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

waah posted:

You sort of already do. DoA can easily run 5-7 savages under Morghoul1 and have them tear stuff up. With Primal + Abuse + Enrage you're looking at Pow 19s with a threat range of 13" and very often free charges. I had lots of good luck with them before I went all minions this year.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

My favourite Warmachine story is the guy in late MK2 who took one of the worst units in Khador to a major tournament. Assault Kommandos were considered 'like WinterGuard but worse" because Kovnik Joe, the faction's best support solo, can't buff them. He brought them specifically because they were immune to corrosion, as he expected to face opponents with Bile Thralls which do a big AoE of corrosion damage.

Then he ended up winning, and never even faced the bile thrall list that he tech'd for. He just won on the back of the "unplayable trash" Assault Kommandos.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Alpha Phoenix posted:

My favourite Warmachine story is the guy in late MK2 who took one of the worst units in Khador to a major tournament. Assault Kommandos were considered 'like WinterGuard but worse" because Kovnik Joe, the faction's best support solo, can't buff them. He brought them specifically because they were immune to corrosion, as he expected to face opponents with Bile Thralls which do a big AoE of corrosion damage.

Then he ended up winning, and never even faced the bile thrall list that he tech'd for. He just won on the back of the "unplayable trash" Assault Kommandos.

Speaking of assault Kommandos, I hope one day they get removed from the Winterguard list and become their own theme with some new toys because kommandos are good and cool.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

The only thing I dislike about themes is that for factions that aren't mercs (I am a merc player) that you are restricted to having 3 or 4 unit choices, which is crazy coming from irregulars in which you have approximately all of them. I guess I am just lucky irregulars exist and fits my mix-and-match taste.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Its really annoying to have certain support stuff locked into only one theme. Things like the artillery kapitan, greylord ternion, etc really should be in more than one

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Jimmy Hats posted:

Its really annoying to have certain support stuff locked into only one theme. Things like the artillery kapitan, greylord ternion, etc really should be in more than one

gently caress, I just remembered when the krielstone was allowed in Band of Heroes, but didn't count towards free stuff. Man, that sucked. Glad they fixed it.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Jimmy Hats posted:

Yeah, this is annoying, especially from a purchasing perspective.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

S.J. posted:

Dude I'm pretty sure those boxes were released before the vast majority of themes were released anyways. They were mostly mirroring the similarly priced all in one boxes from a year or two earlier.

SirJoeKCB posted:

It also predates themes as they exist now.

My copy of the 3rd Ed. Forces book for Everblight includes themes and was first printed in 2016. The army box is from 2017 (see the link). It seems this army box never made sense.

Alpha Phoenix posted:

It's pretty inevitable in a 15 year old game. The model release bloat has to keep rolling to stay in business, but the more good models that exist, the more unpredictable combinations crop up. Factions have triple or more the number of options that they had in mk1, and since PP is dedicated to keeping new models balanced and interesting (or at least unique), they need to reign it in by creating a system where a Circle wold army is utterly unique from a beast spam Circle army, which is nearly unique from an infantry Circle army. To their credit, the worst models in Warmachine are still playable, and the faction balance is nearly perfect. Other games just let old models be bad and literally unplayable.

The current iteration of tiers makes a subfaction split is technically optional, since there has been great outcry over "invalidating models" in the past. It lets them add new models that could have broken combinations without worrying as much.

!Klams posted:

I do feel like this can't really be stressed enough. Like it's not an absolutely perfect situation, but it's close enough that you can say this and no one will argue with you. Which is basically unheard of?

It's great to hear that once I have an army, the gameplay will be well balanced. On the other hand, 15 years worth of models split amongst subfactions is why boxed armies for new players are needed. But this army box does not fill that role and boy do I feel dumb for not cross checking the box against the codex (I bought them at the same time).

albany academy posted:

Or because not playing in theme is fine for casual play.

I'm sure I'll get some use out of it for casual play. It seems like around here most people play in tournaments and Privateer Press expressly markets this for competitive play and tournaments:

Privateer Press posted:

Whether you're a new player of a seasoned veteran taking up a new Faction, this Army Box contains everything you need to quickly field a complete and competitive army suitable for every battlefield engagement - from casual games at home to organized leagues and tournaments.

albany academy posted:

Idk probably because it gives people incentive to buy for multiple themes rather than just one

albany academy posted:

Or it gives a solid starting point to branch off into themes...

I assumed this was a one off turd that I stepped on, rather than a deliberate and mercenary effort. I've heard nothing but praise for Privateer Press from players, so I'll assume they let the intern put this box together and keep slogging.

Jimmy Hats posted:

Its probably because the sales side and the game side have no fuckin idea what the other one is doing

This makes sense.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I'm aware that there were themes early on, I'm just saying they're a relic of earlier on in the edition when themes weren't quite split up as much (some stuff wasn't in themes at all) and many of the factions didn't have quite the same stable of models to begin with, depending on how they've made it through CID. Either way, depending on the faction, it can still be an excellent way to save some money on buying a variety of things and/or give you some extra stuff to sell/trade away. But they're definitely not up to date, so here's hoping they do a new version later this year some time.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen

Saalkin posted:

Speaking of assault Kommandos, I hope one day they get removed from the Winterguard list and become their own theme with some new toys because kommandos are good and cool.

I love Assault Kommandos so much, I love both Strakhovs and hope that one day they'll get something to support them besides Veteran Leader on Strakhov1. A theme for them would be boss, but I'd honestly settle for letting them count towards free points in the Winter Guard Kommand theme.

Alternatively, bring back their flamethrowers exploding when they die so I can have a colossal two-handed throw them into infantry clusters.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Can't power attack friendlies anymore :(

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen
Well then, I guess the only option is to make AKs worth taking :v: Come on, they did it for Man-o-Wars. For real though I'm kinda proud of my AK paint job and wish they weren't a liability in the only theme I can take them. (I'm still gonna run them sometime this month)

Zalabar
Feb 13, 2012

Yes, he would like fries with that, thank you.

!Klams posted:

Case in point, I often play with two units of high shields, which are widely regarded as the worst unit in the game, and it's still fun and close fought.

I am clearly doing something terribly wrong with my Long Gunners and Sword Knights.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Sword knights are actually good. Theyre in the wrong theme for sure though.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Yeah Sword Knights need to be expanded into their own theme. They've gotten a ton of work done for me in the past, I just can't ever find the space for them in a 'jack theme.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I dunno maybe this??? I like the 5 damage dice charge from the feat...

The sword knight UA seems really, really lovely.

War Room Army

Cygnar - New Army

Theme: Heavy Metal
2 / 2 Free Cards 70 / 75 Army

Lord General Coleman Stryker - WJ: +28
- Centurion - PC: 17 (Battlegroup Points Used: 17)
- Centurion - PC: 17 (Battlegroup Points Used: 11)

Lieutenant Allison Jakes - PC: 0
- Centurion - PC: 17
Journeyman Warcaster - PC: 0
- Centurion - PC: 17
Archduke Alain Runewood, Lord of Fharin - PC: 4

Sword Knights - Leader & 9 Grunts: 13
Sword Knights - Leader & 9 Grunts: 13

THEME: Heavy Metal
---

GENERATED : 05/01/2018 12:17:31
BUILD ID : 2061.18-02-21

E: whoops i forgot rowdy exists

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Yeah, Stryker 2 and 3 are both good choices for them in that theme. Maybe Siege 1 or 2 also, depending. I just think they need to get expanded out into their own thing. But I also don't want to buy and clean up a second unit of them :v:

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
Got an offer today that I couldn't refuse. Looks like I'm the proud owner of a fourth faction. I don't NEED a fourth faction! However, as it's Blindwater, I'll make an exception.

Bought this lot, about half of it painted very nicely (rest unpainted):

quote:

Barnabas1
Barnabas2
Calaban
Jaga-Jaga
Maelok
Rask

- Gatorman Soul Slave - PC: 5
- Blackhide Wrastler - PC: 16
- Blackhide Wrastler - PC: 16
- Blind Walker - PC: 10
- Boneswarm - PC: 7
- Boneswarm - PC: 7
- Bull Snapper - PC: 5
- Bull Snapper - PC: 5
- Ironback Spitter - PC: 14
- Ironback Spitter - PC: 14
- Swamp Horror - PC: 15
- Swamp Horror - PC: 15

Sacral Vault - PC: 17

Bog Trog Mist Speaker - PC: 4
Bone Shrine - PC: 2
Bone Shrine - PC: 2
Croak Hunter - PC: 3
Croak Hunter - PC: 3
Efaarit Scouts - PC: 6
Gatorman Witch Doctor - PC: 4
Gatorman Witch Doctor - PC: 4
Gatorman Husk - PC: 3
Gatorman Husk - PC: 3
Kwaak Slickspine & Gub, Croak Sorcerers - PC: 4
Longchops - PC: 5

Boil Master & Spirit Cauldron - Boil Master & Spirit Cauldron: 5
Croak Raiders - Leader & 9 Grunts: 16
Croak Raiders - Leader & 9 Grunts: 16
- Void Leech - PC: 1
Croak Trappers - Leader & Grunt: 3
Gatorman Bokor & Bog Trog Swamp Shamblers - Bokor & 9 Grunts: 10
Gatorman Posse - Leader & 4 Grunts: 16

... for 400 €. the only really glaring holes I can see are the lesser warlocks and Orin Midwinter... all of which I own (except for the snake). I've also got a unit of Croaks and Gators painted up, so I can sell one of each and still be able to play Maelok 4 Posse if I'm feeling saucy.

Meanwhile I've started selling my unpainted Skorne. I loved the faction in mk2, but feel like the faction identity shifted enormously in the transition. My Xerxis1 Cataphract list is now extremely bad, i can't see a place for my Nihilators... meanwhile I'd have to invest tons of money to get Skorne to a decent state (double turtles, double cats, maybe the immortals list or multiple units of reivers)... plus painting Skorne is a bitch. I think I made the correct choice in benching that army and going for Minions instead.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Cant you use your nihilators and all those new minions together in disciples of agony?

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

He could. I mean skorne and minions go together like nobody's business.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Zalabar posted:

I am clearly doing something terribly wrong with my Long Gunners and Sword Knights.

This is exactly my point illustrated really. You can say "scoff scoff X unit is trash tier!" But then someone will point out a way of using them that makes sense.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Menoth cid is up. New caster is kinda neat but the rest of it is pretty unexciting, which is a shame!

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

Jimmy Hats posted:

Menoth cid is up. New caster is kinda neat but the rest of it is pretty unexciting, which is a shame!

What, you're not hype about eKreoss getting +1 MAT or Knights Exemplar getting CMD 10!

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
WOAH I DIDNT SEE THAT MAT 8!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I think the new stuff is all rad, but they haven't changed much else. I can definitely see bastions used at that points cost though. Harbinger changes are nice :)

E: the Revelator got hella buffed though.
ee: JUDY UGH

S.J. fucked around with this message at 17:57 on May 2, 2018

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

^ You mean Judy, and yea, that's a big buff. I only use Bastions with Tristan though, and I don't see taking a warjack outside of his battlegroup.

Actually the shrine seems pretty good. Giving Menoth warjacks Pathfinder is kind of a big deal, and that's a decent gun. I don't know if it's worth the points cost though, and lol at it being huge based.

But it might be more worthwhile as a pathfinder artillery piece than its intended resurrectionist role.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.
Errants are now very competitive with Idrians as a skirmishing unit, which is great. There's also some very good shenanigans with the new soul taking dude and the jack marshal (Reckoner can get 5 pow 21 blessed WM swings. Or 4 if he has to charge).

Also, Harby at CMD 12 is terrifying.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Im just bitter that cyrenia's Battle Plans are exemplar only and whatshisface said thats not going to change.

Thats how many new casters is a row with an ability pretty much specific to their theme?

Nighttheii
Nov 21, 2007
hi
Loving all the rule changes, particularly desperate pace on Elias Gade.

But, this is the structure sculpt Hungerford and Pagani were so excited about?

I guess I'm missing something, because it sure feels bland. I know from a narrative standpoint having the gun be "magic shooting out of a nondescript spot on the building" means there wouldn't need to be any actual cannon or turret. But, I feel like it leaves something to be desired on the model. Something like a balcony with priests praying over some kind of artifact or casket could break up this thing's look from being a giant $100+ brick with rivets.

Nighttheii fucked around with this message at 17:55 on May 2, 2018

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

Nighttheii posted:

Loving all the rule changes, particularly desperate pace on Elias Gade.

But, this is the structure sculpt Hungerford and Pagani were so excited about?

I guess I'm missing something, because it sure feels bland. I know from a narrative standpoint having the gun be "magic shooting out of a nondescript spot on the building" means there wouldn't need to be any actual cannon or turret. But, I feel like it leaves something to be desired on the model. Something like a balcony with priests praying over some kind of artifact or casket could break up this thing's look from being a giant $100+ brick with rivets.

I kinda like that it's not exxxtreme or overdone with a million needless details. I think it's simplicity is elegant, and there's still a lot of good building detail.

no doubt it's gonna be overpriced though.

Edit: I just realized that they've made a Starcraft barracks, complete with spawning units out of it.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

It needs to be surrounded by a vortex of righteous souls.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Alpha Phoenix posted:

I kinda like that it's not exxxtreme or overdone with a million needless details. I think it's simplicity is elegant, and there's still a lot of good building detail.

no doubt it's gonna be overpriced though.

:yossame: I've been out of it for a little while, but it's also really nice to see what Menoth architecture looks like in an official capacity.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I can sort of see trenchers slapping together a blockhouse real quick but how the hell do you even get that thing out onto a battlefield

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

Jimmy Hats posted:

I can sort of see trenchers slapping together a blockhouse real quick but how the hell do you even get that thing out onto a battlefield

Well first of all through god all things are possible so jot that down...

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Alpha Phoenix posted:

Well first of all through god all things are possible so jot that down...

And second, big beefy dudes and robots

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007
Wake me up when tharn cid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Lots of decent stuff for Menoth.

I really like Cyrenia. I think she is solid as is.

With the Cinerator UA my question is, why would I ever bring Bastions ever?