Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Also whats the rules on robot wars memes in this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

So what is the deal between Highlander HGN-732B and Atlas AS7-D? Highlander is 90 tons vs atlas 100 tons, but Highlander has 65,5 tons of space while atlas has only 65..? 10 tons lighter, half a ton more space? And I was wondering why Atlas isn't any easier to fit.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

I had to redo the first non-tutorial mission 5 times because each time the LRMs from the turrets injured at least 3 of my pilots and usually killed one. :negative:

I need to give all of my mechs nice helmets or something.

cugel posted:

5 times?

5 times!

Zigmidge posted:

It's nice to read about all these self-selecting goons that don't think to use the terrain though.
I mean, it CAN help some. But all turrets have the sensor lock skill sooooo.... Yeah, sorry Turtle the armchair tactics would not have helped you as much as you'd think.

Though they can't sensor lock AND shoot at the same time so it will significantly cut down on enemy LRM spam. Just not remove "Welp Behemoth got an exposed leg from sensor lock LRMs behind a mountain inside a trees again-whoops here comes a spider to tap her in the head" RNG.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 18:09 on May 2, 2018

Malek Deneith
Jun 1, 2011

Ihmemies posted:

So what is the deal between Highlander HGN-732B and Atlas AS7-D? Highlander is 90 tons vs atlas 100 tons, but Highlander has 65,5 tons of space while atlas has only 65..? 10 tons lighter, half a ton more space? And I was wondering why Atlas isn't any easier to fit.
Because Atlas has to mount a slightly larger (read heavier) engine to move at same speed Highlander does. Also I think internal structure had weight too, which again was based on total tonnage. That being said the excel sheet that got posted way back lists Highlander at 60.5 rather than 65.5. Though the sheet was wrong in past (*cough* AC10 damage *cough*) so it might be wrong here too.

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
Keep roboman away from very small tank that can open a magic portal to a dimension made entirely of missiles. The missile dimension is very dangerous.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Are coolant pods in this era or is that too early? I used a lot of them in MW4.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

I had to redo the first non-tutorial mission 5 times because each time the LRMs from the turrets injured at least 3 of my pilots and usually killed one. :negative:

I need to give all of my mechs nice helmets or something.

I snuck my light around the south side of the mountains with jets and popped the generator asap

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Malek Deneith posted:

Because Atlas has to mount a slightly larger (read heavier) engine to move at same speed Highlander does. Also I think internal structure had weight too, which again was based on total tonnage. That being said the excel sheet that got posted way back lists Highlander at 60.5 rather than 65.5. Though the sheet was wrong in past (*cough* AC10 damage *cough*) so it might be wrong here too.

The B variant of the Highlander is the Star League mech you get in the story so it might also have some Lostech poo poo going on.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

Party Plane Jones posted:

Water is lostech

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Section Z posted:

the armchair tactics would not have helped you as much as you'd think

I mean, I moved errybody around the far right, keeping them out of sensor range of the turrets and schwacked the generator before any of them got a lock off, let alone a missile barrage? Worked pretty well. :shrug:

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Ihmemies posted:

Whenever I get a hold of a new mech the first thing I do is strip all armor and equip to see what the actual usable tonnage is because yeah this situation pops up a lot where a mech is a lot heavier than another but in reality has the same or less tonnage for the great benefit of, uh being slower and maybe having heavier jumpjets lmao. Usable tonnage should really just be a visible at a glance thing when you look at a mech's stats.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Malek Deneith posted:

The game says 24.5/90 tons, 65.5 tons remaining without armor or equipment for Highlander.

So.. uh.. what is the point of Atlas, you can fit more armor to it than to Highlander, if needed? Atlas does more melee damage?

Malek Deneith
Jun 1, 2011

Party Plane Jones posted:

FedCom will invent them in 3049. So yeah too early.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
A bad dice roll does have the last word over anyone's skill with terrain but all that means is suck it up and move on. It only costs five digits to replace the meat in this game, you'll spend more than that repairing your first mech because you're still learning what advice this thread gives is bad.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

mods change my name posted:

Water Propelyne Glycol from Oriellys/Autozone is lostech

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Ihmemies posted:

The game says 24.5/90 tons, 65.5 tons remaining without armor or equipment for Highlander.

So.. uh.. what is the point of Atlas, you can fit more armor to it than to Highlander, if needed? Atlas does more melee damage?

it has a skull for a face

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Ihmemies posted:

An empty no armor Atlas has 65 tons free, while the Highlander has 60.5

The Highlander 732b though, in this game, has 65.5 tons free, probably to roughly account for the advanced gear that it uses which isn't really present. The cannon 732B mounts Ferro-Fibrous armor which saves it 2 tons on armor, and CASE, another ton saved because CASE is built in to all mechs now. Last, it's got Artemis-IV on it's missiles, which would cost 2 tons, but in this game is just represented by +++ model SRMs and LRMs.

That's where your extra 5 tons are coming from.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I recently had a mission where all my mechs were either too damaged to engage with, out of ammo, or were too high on heat in a desert biome and couldn't vent fast enough to do any meaningful amount of damage.

I eventually won by just dog piling and punching everything to death. High point was Dekkar DFAing an almost pristine centurion in the chest

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Arrath posted:

I mean, I moved errybody around the far right, keeping them out of sensor range of the turrets and schwacked the generator before any of them got a lock off, let alone a missile barrage? Worked pretty well. :shrug:

I'm just overly :tinfoil: about "Just do X, you'll take zero damage like me if you do." advice because of how often it can go wrong somehow :shobon:

Particularly if you try to bring that mindset to regular missions where you can't download a map from gamepro with every individual turret and enemy location.

"Pfft, I went through that last story mission with next to no repair bill. This will go great too-oh gosh, oh golly :gonk: "

Section Z fucked around with this message at 18:18 on May 2, 2018

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Only cowards refuse to store their ammunition in their head slot.

Missile hats for all.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Night10194 posted:

Only cowards refuse to store their ammunition in their head slot.

Missile hats for all.

Nah that's where you keep the small laser for trolling

"HaHA! I've lost everything but I can still hit you!"

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
After one mission that went almost-real-bad I think my 4 mechs had a total of 3 arms by the end of it.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Section Z posted:

I'm just overly :tinfoil: about "Just do X, you'll take zero damage like me if you do." advice because of how often it can go wrong somehow :shobon:

Particularly if you try to bring that mindset to regular missions where you can't download a map from gamepro with every individual turret and enemy location.

"Pfft, I went through the argo recovery with next to no repair bill. This will go great to-oh gosh, oh golly."

Yeah, good point. There's no 100% certain way to avoid all damage all the time. Sometimes it only takes one round for a decent mission to go sour. Gotta love those dice rolls.

:argh: fuckin jenner than brushed off all my lance's fire to skirt around and blow off my Shadowhawks leg.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Arrath posted:

I didn't even realize there were turrets on my first go until I saw the generator. I started with "better be careful, and move through cover", saw the generator, and was all "Turrets? gently caress that" and shot it. Dumb place to keep an important generator like that anyway.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Arrath posted:

Yeah, good point. There's no 100% certain way to avoid all damage all the time. Sometimes it only takes one round for a decent mission to go sour. Gotta love those dice rolls.

:argh: fuckin jenner than brushed off all my lance's fire to skirt around and blow off my Shadowhawks leg.

Was Behemoth driving it? My Behemoth even with how little I've played so far basically has a cursed left leg when they drive my Shadowhawk. That and light mechs tapping them in the head on the first round of enemy actions.

At least now I have two spiders (but still only 2/3 of a firestarter, etc etc) so the custom LASER LOCUST now gets to retire. My suicide squad backup pilot is probably one of the few people in the galaxy to survive a side torso being blown off a Locust. I celebrated by hiring a second fresh meat pilot (at least they came with 6 tactics).

Section Z fucked around with this message at 18:26 on May 2, 2018

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Psion posted:

it has a skull for a face

So it'll stay in mechbay as a backup mech if needed :) At least it looks very cool!

I only need a missile jagermech or a stalker now. I've been using centurion forever, I haven't found any heavier mechs with more than two missile hardpoints.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Section Z posted:

Was Behemoth driving it? My Behemoth even with how little I've played so far basically has a cursed left leg when they drive my Shadowhawk. That and light mechs tapping them in the head on the first round of enemy actions.

Hah! Actually yeah, she was. She kinda deserved it for only knocking off that Jenner's arm with her punch tho.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

BurntCornMuffin posted:

I didn't even realize there were turrets on my first go until I saw the generator. I started with "better be careful, and move through cover", saw the generator, and was all "Turrets? gently caress that" and shot it. Dumb place to keep an important generator like that anyway.

But the mission start voiceover tells you that there's turrets. and a turret generator. And you should blow up the turret generator first.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Ihmemies posted:

Not really knowing any battletech lore beyond this and the handful of Mechwarrior/Mechassault games I've played, I like to imagine the Highlander was the actual well-designed mech for getting stuff done while the Atlas was another victim of silly military industrial complex design where some fat general demanded that it have a skull for a cockpit and be the heaviest thing ever at the expense of useful features. Which is fine by me. Kamea can keep the slow piece of poo poo that goes from 0 heat to shutdown in one round of firing while I take the bunnyhopping monster that scraps enemies in one round and doesn't even need to think about heat.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Section Z posted:

You're right. Better to just go up the middle.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Arrath posted:

Z is misrepresenting the argument by claiming anyone is posting "do what I do and take 0 damage" because that's not a thing anyone has said. It's not possible. What you did was absolutely correct and, not coincidentally, is that same "armchair advice" he's deriding: You made their shots as hard as possible, accepted some would get through, and took out the turret generator quickly to minimize the number of chances they got.

knowing how to manipulate terrain, initiative, brace and evasion works on all maps, no downloaded maps required. now go punch a robot.

Psion fucked around with this message at 18:33 on May 2, 2018

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Gobblecoque posted:

Not really knowing any battletech lore beyond this and the handful of Mechwarrior/Mechassault games I've played, I like to imagine the Highlander was the actual well-designed mech for getting stuff done while the Atlas was another victim of silly military industrial complex design where some fat general demanded that it have a skull for a cockpit and be the heaviest thing ever at the expense of useful features. Which is fine by me. Kamea can keep the slow piece of poo poo that goes from 0 heat to shutdown in one round of firing while I take the bunnyhopping monster that scraps enemies in one round and doesn't even need to think about heat.

There is fluff about how it took them ages to get the Atlas' 'deaths head' to look right and still work as a cockpit, and about how General Kerenksy (the guy who would eventually run off, then his kid would start the Clans) demanded it be a weapon of terror to show the superiority of the Star League over its individual member states, so this is pretty spot on correct.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Ihmemies posted:

So it'll stay in mechbay as a backup mech if needed :) At least it looks very cool!

I only need a missile jagermech or a stalker now. I've been using centurion forever, I haven't found any heavier mechs with more than two missile hardpoints.
Orion works for this, too (or at least one variant, I only know about the mechs I have / have seen). 50 LRMs on that and AC20s on a couple holepunchers and a firestarter running around is my default setup.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

The Saddest Robot posted:

But the mission start voiceover tells you that there's turrets. and a turret generator. And you should blow up the turret generator first.

Forgot about that. Still, never saw the turrets, just blapped generator.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Zigmidge posted:

You're right. Better to just go up the middle.

It worked for NC Max crashes in Planetside and by god I'll make it work here!

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Mo_Steel posted:

It worked for NC Max crashes in Planetside and by god I'll make it work here!
Mech pilots are a sensitive lot, after all they can end up depressed for all time if they don't get their coffee. So telling you to walk into a firing line is a bright and cheerful day in their books.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Speaking of mechs, I assume (hope) that different factions would have slightly different tables. Also weren't Catapults actually somewhat rare in the 3025 so that would explain their scarcity, plus aren't they a Combine Mech? Although so is the Panther & Dragon and the Directorate is swimming in those. The Black Knights were SLDF Mechs too and even rarer if I remember the old TRO's right.

However it would make sense that if you say fight the Capellans in a mission they would be more likely to have a Cataphract, Vindicator etc. If you ran a mission against the Davions they would have like Enforcers. the FWL would have more Orions and Missile-Awesomes etc.

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH

Arrath posted:

Its obvious what the strategy should be but they negate it by setting up a bunch of guns that have infinite range and don't require line of sight. So the fancy strategy becomes stupid and the best thing to do is brute forcing it by sending everyone up the road together to spread the damage out and hit the generator from there instead of going around a mountain that isn't even a barrier to the turret's missiles.

Its easy to complete the mission once you've wrapped your head around whats going on but its just an oddly bad design decision that could have been solved by making the turrets shredder/MG instead of LRM.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Have you considered before posting the Word of Design that maybe you got a string of bad luck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

BadLlama posted:

Also whats the rules on robot wars memes in this thread

If you're going to meme, you'd better make it extra spicy.