Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Forgive me for posting this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7cAYV_lVNI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Forgive me for posting this

:rice:

I was expecting it to be terrible but man, a crime against cars, rap and auto-tune. I'm impressed.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
My god it's full of stars

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I wanna see the rest of the gang's cars.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Showed my wife because the check engine light has been on on our Grand Caravan for several years. (Egt valve(fixed) and ammbient temp sensor(not gonna fix))

She didn't recognise it.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Jonny Nox posted:

Showed my wife because the check engine light has been on on our Grand Caravan for several years. (Egt valve(fixed) and ammbient temp sensor(not gonna fix))

She didn't recognise it.

I just had the CEL come on in my car, pulled the code, got an Evap system leak and was all "nice, i dont have to gently caress with this until smog comes" and just kept driving it around until the other day when it turned off on it's own.

Gonna Send It
Jul 8, 2010

DiggityDoink posted:

I just had the CEL come on in my car, pulled the code, got an Evap system leak and was all "nice, i dont have to gently caress with this until smog comes" and just kept driving it around until the other day when it turned off on it's own.

Was it the fuel cap?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I know y'all love digital dashes...

https://drivemag.com/red-calipers/the-definitive-collection-of-cool-1980s-digital-dashboards-in-japanese-cars

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Early Citroen BXes had them too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F06YoENXsG8

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
Edd China's Garage Revival: Ep 1 is up on youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaW9Sg5NPyE

hattersmad
Feb 21, 2015

In this style, 10/6

I still miss that digital dash from my old 300ZX

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

hattersmad posted:

I still miss that digital dash from my old 300ZX

I never knew it was so good...

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

I love the mazda ones. Generally not a fan of digital dashes (yeah boo me), but the 323 dash very quick to read, and the 626 one while not as good for the tacho has that turbo lamp that's awesome.
I need that 323 in my life so that's on my bucket list, researching now...

Do you think a barra would fit? :v:

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

The Prong Song posted:

Edd China's Garage Revival: Ep 1 is up on youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaW9Sg5NPyE

Good looking out! It's missing a bit of the Wheeler Dealers kind of basic explanation stuff my wife and I loved about seeing him wrench (we're novices, but learning as we go on a project car), but I'm sure I'll watch whatever he puts out. Good first episode.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Fo3 posted:

Do you think a barra would fit? :v:

Mary or Yogi?

:haw:

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Katosabi posted:

Was it the fuel cap?

It must have been cause I didn't gently caress with anything other than putting gas in it the other day.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

I love the one from the Subaru XT.

I need to do some searching but I believe someone redid their DMC Dolerean using this dash as well.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
The one from the 80's GL's was pretty awesome too.

Any boost would light up the turbo icon's center :3:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Wonder what the memory storage situation on that dash is, they got a traditional worm gear odometer and a digital trip odometer? Or were they required to run a "normal" odometer at that point in time?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

The ones I had all were old school mechanical odometers, but pretty sure the Z31 had a digital tripometer.

That is a good question though, I can't remember the first time I saw the main odometer not be mechanical. 90s?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

slidebite posted:

The ones I had all were old school mechanical odometers, but pretty sure the Z31 had a digital tripometer.

That is a good question though, I can't remember the first time I saw the main odometer not be mechanical. 90s?

Of the cars I know, about obd2 vintage, so 95?

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Maker Of Shoes posted:

The one from the 80's GL's was pretty awesome too.

Any boost would light up the turbo icon's center :3:

DOO METER

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

xzzy posted:

Wonder what the memory storage situation on that dash is, they got a traditional worm gear odometer and a digital trip odometer? Or were they required to run a "normal" odometer at that point in time?

1981. Broken.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 14:24 on May 2, 2018

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I've been watching the local yards for Taurus SHO's. These wicked cool dashes are supposed to be an almost perfect fit in my Mercury Capri

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I....... kinda like this. UK heads will know what the back end is.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Tigra?

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Olympic Mathlete posted:

:barf:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I've not seen one on the roads in years, yeah. Not an obvious front end swap I mean who has a Tigra in 2018??

EOS with a Scirocco front end more to your liking?

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 2, 2018

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I always liked the tigra and the puma, even knowing they were just a fancy Corsa and Fiesta respectively

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
My brother and I both had 1st gen Probes for our first cars. He had the digital dash

while mine was the regular analog. Sometimes his speedo display quit working.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

My Z31 had a very common issue where the entire cluster would just ~die~ out of the blue at a random time. Turned out it was a power unit that caused it and I eventually figured out giving a good solid whack under the steering column would generally bring it back, but with zero mechanical backups it was more than an inconvenience especially at highway speeds.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Hey dudes!

May I post more dash stuff (self created)?

My buddy took the "Teslonda" out and got some track time finally.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wq4xgOhBn1I

With one of the runs he did that day; I pulled that data and replayed it on my development rig; here is an idea of what the dash would look like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6BooMZ1xjE

Sorry about the washed out colors from the last video but I think it conveys the idea pretty well.

For those interested in the EV portion of things; watch the Voltage sag!!!

Humble brag: Here is sneak peak of my dumb phone app that connects with the dash.

(trigger warning: vertical video alert - it was intended for instagram. :smith:)

(e: the dash video; you can see his pedal position, kilowatt output, voltage/amp input from the battery pack and motor temps)
(e2: added my phone app stuff)

Professor of Cats fucked around with this message at 00:59 on May 3, 2018

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
https://i.imgur.com/TMO0oqN.gifv

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

That's loving boss

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

quote quote quote goddamnit

/\ I meant to say that wheel chair thing is awesome

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Thats for sure wrong thread

hattersmad
Feb 21, 2015

In this style, 10/6

slidebite posted:

My Z31 had a very common issue where the entire cluster would just ~die~ out of the blue at a random time. Turned out it was a power unit that caused it and I eventually figured out giving a good solid whack under the steering column would generally bring it back, but with zero mechanical backups it was more than an inconvenience especially at highway speeds.

Ha, you too huh? I eventually pulled the sending unit out of the car and reflowed the solder on the connector pins to fix it more permanently.

...and then the speedometer sending unit went out. Because at least ONE thing had to not work at all times.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Wrong thread.
Right thread.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I really liked the idea of the Tigra when it came out, but the Puma immediately filled pretty much the same niche while being better all round.

That body kit stuff is awful though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I've not seen one on the roads in years, yeah. Not an obvious front end swap I mean who has a Tigra in 2018??

EOS with a Scirocco front end more to your liking?

What is the point in lowering a car this much anyway bags or not there is zero point. You ruin the aesthetics, the handling and the ability to drive over speedbumps.