Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I hadn't heard this "women can't be programmers" out of him before someone posted that so yeah I obviously don't stand by him.

The games industry is seemingly the only place where software is judged based on performance by the consumer, so from that perspective I think it makes sense to establish practices that get you to that goal. I appreciate the whole "handmade" endeavor that has sprung up out of that and don't believe it to be elitism. There's a pretty noticeable downward trend in software performance in general and I think some of it is caused by lousy craft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Asymmetrikon posted:

he also thinks that women are genetically predisposed to not like programming

this kind of argument makes me so mad i could tear my hair out

even if you just accept the premise as true -- women are genetically predisposed to not like programming -- what does that tell you about any individual woman?

it's like these autistic fuckers have never met a women's basketball player. women are genetically predisposed to be shorter than men, but that won't stop this particular lady from dribbling your pasty white rear end like a basketball

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
in my experience it is usually a twofer: people who say dumb poo poo like that don't understand statistics and they are also misogynists

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

that won't stop this particular lady from dribbling your pasty white rear end like a basketball
hot

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it's like these autistic fuckers have never met a women's basketball player.

nice, fighting misogyny with ableism

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Blotto Skorzany posted:

i wonder if you put that guy and chuck moore in a room and supplied them with hooch whether they'd end up making out or breaking the bottles on a table and stabbing each other
"I'll let you live if you can tell me which came first: MOD or /MOD"

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

even if you just accept the premise as true -- women are genetically predisposed to not like programming -- what does that tell you about any individual woman?

It normally comes up in the context of explaining away the fact that tech companies employ very few women. As in,

"Yes, we only employ 10% women, but women are just naturally less interested in working in tech. You see, women are more interested in working with people than code."
*Meanwhile, women file lawsuit against company alleging discrimination in pay and promotion, as well as environment of sexual harassment and assault.*

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
to be fair almost nobody understands statistics. not in programming, not in other sorts of engineering, not even in most of the hard sciences (closest thing to an exception is physics, by necessity). i can recall with horror having a conversation over lunch at a thai place with some of the other phd candidates in my wife's ChemE group when she was in school where some stats stuff came up, and i asked one of them whether their coursework did a review of convolution or if it just assumed that as grad students they were well versed in it and i just got a blank stare from everyone at the table until one of them asked me what convolution was :smithicide: literally they just stuff their heads full of some cookbook poo poo related to p-values and call it a day.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Blotto Skorzany posted:

to be fair almost nobody understands statistics. not in programming, not in other sorts of engineering, not even in most of the hard sciences (closest thing to an exception is physics, by necessity). i can recall with horror having a conversation over lunch at a thai place with some of the other phd candidates in my wife's ChemE group when she was in school where some stats stuff came up, and i asked one of them whether their coursework did a review of convolution or if it just assumed that as grad students they were well versed in it and i just got a blank stare from everyone at the table until one of them asked me what convolution was :smithicide: literally they just stuff their heads full of some cookbook poo poo related to p-values and call it a day.

i feel your pain my friend

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Never understand statistics, just properly clean and stratify a bunch of data and let an AI figure it out for you.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
i know what a convolution is but i don't know what it has to do with statistics :confused:

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

DELETE CASCADE posted:

i know what a convolution is but i don't know what it has to do with statistics :confused:

for one thing, if a and b are random variables, the pdf of a+b is equal to the pdf of a convolved with the pdf of b. fun exercise: convolve a bunch of unit steps (or ramps, or whatever, but with steps it's super easy to do graphical convolution and avoid doing actual math) together and look at what you get. congrats, you've got a hand-wavy proof of central limit theorem!

if you know how to do a fourier transform you can of course take advantage of the fact that convolution in the time domain is multiplication in the frequency domain to avoid performing the convolution directly

Blotto Skorzany fucked around with this message at 21:55 on May 2, 2018

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

i find the problem to be less understanding stats and more getting stats

that might not make any sense

but i dont think people who are making mistakes about women in tech are doing so because they don't understand convolution

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

DELETE CASCADE posted:

kernel density estimation is p. much convolution of the empirical density function w/ a given kernel

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
the problems with statistical literacy among scientists are not that they fail to appreciate the foundational mathematical theory of the field

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
it doesn't help that stats is the least interesting math subfield

mystes
May 31, 2006

rjmccall posted:

the problems with statistical literacy among scientists are not that they fail to appreciate the foundational mathematical theory of the field
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it."

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Suspicious Dish posted:

The games industry is seemingly the only place where software is judged based on performance by the consumer, so from that perspective I think it makes sense to establish practices that get you to that goal. I appreciate the whole "handmade" endeavor that has sprung up out of that and don't believe it to be elitism. There's a pretty noticeable downward trend in software performance in general and I think some of it is caused by lousy craft.

eh, there’s plenty of “but I want to write things the way I want to write them, not the way that’s best for users!” in the games industry too

any time you hear people complain about Metal for example: the platform whose users spend money uses this API, just use it already

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

redleader posted:

it doesn't help that stats is the least interesting math subfield

no that's foundations

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

eschaton posted:

eh, there’s plenty of “but I want to write things the way I want to write them, not the way that’s best for users!” in the games industry too

any time you hear people complain about Metal for example: the platform whose users spend money uses this API, just use it already

We do use Metal! I really like it as an API design. Unfortunately we're cutting Mac & mobile as a platform for other reasons, but with the exception of the loving terrible interface that is Xcode and its graphics debugger, I really liked Metal. Also the drivers are terrible.

That said, it's a lot of work to implement a platform layer, and not enough people Game On Mac™ for it to be worth the implementation cost. From that perspective (where you are THE LOSING PLATFORM FOR GAMES), I'm baffled about why you won't consider implementing Vulkan natively. But that's just not the way Apple rolls I guess.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

eschaton posted:

this post is ironic right

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

eschaton posted:

metal is a nice "easy mode" graphics api (a dx11/ogl level of abstraction with command buffers), but it's still very gimpy compared to what something like vulkan offers. even with compatibility shims like moltenvk you will never see a title like wolfenstin on mac due to limitations that would make porting non-trivial (the lack of memory aliasing in this case), and other projects like dolphin run into issues due to the lack of geometry shader support.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
dolphin doesn't use geometry shaders anymore

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com

Blotto Skorzany posted:

ChemE is not where the smart kids end up, it's where the pragmatic kids go on purpose.

Pure Chem is neither smart nor pragmatic, as it turns out.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Suspicious Dish posted:

dolphin doesn't use geometry shaders anymore

huh, i though that one of the roadblocks with the metal backend was the lack of them since metal doesn't support line or point rendering either and the lack geometry shaders makes emulating them harder.

e: there are people on the moltenvk github asking for geometry shader and tessellation support too. i know metal supports tessellation, but iirc it's handled differently enough from every other api that making a compatibility shim is a real pain in the rear end.

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 04:44 on May 3, 2018

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i mean this is the company that sells usb-c-to-lightning connectors (for idk $50 or something extortionate like that), so their stance towards open standards is idiosyncratic to say the least

"open standards are cool unless we have a patent on it or thought of something vaguely similar first in which case go gently caress yourself"

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

eschaton posted:

This also seems to affect the developer tools industry.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

The_Franz posted:

huh, i though that one of the roadblocks with the metal backend was the lack of them since metal doesn't support line or point rendering either and the lack geometry shaders makes emulating them harder.

e: there are people on the moltenvk github asking for geometry shader and tessellation support too. i know metal supports tessellation, but iirc it's handled differently enough from every other api that making a compatibility shim is a real pain in the rear end.

good, geometry shaders and tessellation shaders are terrible ideas that are better off forgotten

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

has any game ever used geometry shaders?

I know Crysis 2 has that hilariously overtesselated Jersey barrier and literally nothing else

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Gazpacho posted:

iirc nobody was able to find a working business model around rss so google can't exactly be faulted for that

inoreader works for me and is miles above
anything else ive tried, also monetised sanely

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sapozhnik posted:

im not a gamedev but unity seems like trash to me

like you're not off to the best start when you open up your tools and find something built around MonoDevelop, the internet explorer of ides, looking at you

it’s the only mature managed language that “just deploys”. except for macos, you can’t deploy there from windows because the unity build system can’t chmod something or someshit

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Deploying to macos is explicitly the most immature thing to do.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Fiedler posted:

This also seems to affect the developer tools industry.

:drat:

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

cinci zoo sniper posted:

it’s the only mature managed language that “just deploys”. except for macos, you can’t deploy there from windows because the unity build system can’t chmod something or someshit

you can build for mac from windows in unity, just not ios because you need xcode for that

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

CommunistPancake posted:

you can build for mac from windows in unity, just not ios because you need xcode for that

maybe they fixed it then. i rather starkly remember this problem from *thinks about life* god im old :negative:

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

i just bought this to combat my crippling imposter syndrome: https://bigmachine.io/products/the-imposters-handbook

next time i post ill be sure to talk about my big o in the correct context

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Helicity posted:

i just bought this to combat my crippling imposter syndrome: https://bigmachine.io/products/the-imposters-handbook

next time i post ill be sure to talk about my big o in the correct context

something something Big O I gave your mother last night.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

darthbob88 posted:

something something Big O I gave your mother last night.

odd. what i heard was it was closer to a Big 0

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

no amount of wishing apple could dictate terms to game developers will make it so

• people want to write an engine once and use it in places that aren't an iphone. this is a reasonable desire.

• iphone is not a very profitable platform for games because the in-app-purchase bullshit circus is prone to winner-take-all fuckfests

they would have to actively change the economics of their platform in a way that could make it less profitable to apple, and i don't see'em doing that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
metal could be the best graphics api in history and it would still have poor uptake rates because the economics just don't work