Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

qirex posted:

I loving laugh at websites still doing different @media styles and stuff, "ooh we need a special tablet layout!"

sometimes you have things arranged in rows on wider screens might have to be arranged in columns (or fewer items per row) on narrower screens.

that one site blue train posted does have a *little* bit of that going on on the front page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Blue Train posted:

works for me

fellas this mobile site has me seeing red

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/pookleblinky/status/986415300651507713

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

You need to straighten your posture and suck in your gut.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

android can't send a text without lagging in 2018

EdEddnEddy posted:

I believe it as I have tried using like 8 of those. Each has their little cool bit, each will never make it anywhere unless they merge them all into one single freaking app...

I know I keep way to many SMS stored on my phone, but with the spend of UFS and our Processors these days, it shouldn't be a hard task to still allow it to load up and text without lagging like I'm on a phone from 2008. Hell I get more "Messenger is not responding" Popups waiting for a text to send than ever these days. Textra just sends it almost as fast as I can hit send.

As for Textra, when does an ad come up or a in app purchase so I can throw money at this? I am not seeing an option anywhere and only a little blip that an Add/Option will come up occasionally....

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
textra! textra! read all about it! android continues to be jankity garbage!

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
wait are they thinking about buying a texting app

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Bobby Digital posted:

wait are they thinking about buying a texting app

they already have it in their phone but want the option to pay to remove the ads

a lot of android apps don’t have this and will serve ads forever and ever

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2018/04/phone-maker-settles-charges-it-let-partner-collect-customers-text-messages/

quote:

Phone maker BLU is settling charges that it allowed a China-based partner to collect a mountain of customers' personal data—including full content of text messages, real-time locations, telephone numbers, contacts, and installed apps—despite promises it would keep such details private.

At the time of the Kryptowire update, Amazon said it was suspending sales of BLU phones. A quick search on Monday showed a variety of BLU phones available from the online retailer.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

https://www.amazon.com/BLU-R1-Cell-Phone-16GB/dp/B01H2E0KVA/

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

the gray android thread is currently in the middle of a discussion about the amount of ram a phone they are interested in has

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

lol. never had problems with my SE where I wished I had more ram, wtf are they using their phones for

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

pirated anime and emulators. the usual

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

OldAlias posted:

lol. never had problems with my SE where I wished I had more ram, wtf are they using their phones for

running java lol

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Endless Mike posted:

pirated anime and emulators. the usual

i resemble this

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Statutory Ape posted:

I stream sports games through chrome (i just google like, NBA Stream Reddit) and also torrent directly to the tablet

can ipads do those things yet
heh can CRAPPLE pirate things yet? checkmate, scrub :smug:

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Agile Vector posted:

running java lol

on android, when you refer to the garbage collector nobody is sure if youre talking about the memory management or the user

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Agile Vector posted:

running java lol

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Endless Mike posted:

heh can CRAPPLE pirate things yet? checkmate, scrub :smug:

there are ios bittorent clients on github

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

NEED MORE MILK posted:

on android, when you refer to the garbage collector nobody is sure if youre talking about the memory management or the user

what if...anroid itself is the garbage collector

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

lol

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/LucasFoxNews/status/991692769008717824

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Endless Mike posted:

the gray android thread is currently in the middle of a discussion about the amount of ram a phone they are interested in has

waiting for godot continues

OldAlias posted:

comics

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

they are still arguing over how much ram a phone has and saying if it's not 4 gb they will be returning

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

they are still arguing over how much ram a phone has and saying if it's not 4 gb they will be returning

is it the right kind of ram though?

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

i'd have to go look up how much ram is in an iPhone 8, it never occurred to me to give a gently caress when I got it. apparently it has enough because it works very well.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

i'd have to go look up how much ram is in an iPhone 8, it never occurred to me to give a gently caress when I got it. apparently it has enough because it works very well.
the regular 8 has 2gb of ram and the 8+ and the x have 3gb of ram, so. lol

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

only thing thats ever really been noticeable re: ram on ios is apps and safari pages reloading when you go back to them after doing other stuff.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
it's weird how android appeals to the type of people who are really into min/maxing performance specs, but who also have a blind spot to the fact that apple's cpus are a generation ahead in performance

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

multiple generations

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
when i went from a moto x to a 6s two years ago one of the things that blew me away was that when you rotated the phone the screen didn't consistently lock up for a second or two or struggle to redraw the screen on first-party apps

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

sleepwalkers posted:

only thing thats ever really been noticeable re: ram on ios is apps and safari pages reloading when you go back to them after doing other stuff.

I’m on an iPhone 6 and the main issue I have is seeing something on Facebook, app switching to safari to get a link, and switching back to find its already lost where I was and forced a reload.

Given that’s my main issue with hardware coming up to 4 years old, that’s not too shabby.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
slowfarti has always been slow and lovely because its bad and uses too much ram and iphones always have tiny ram in them

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

The cpu has nothing to do with apps getting swapped out and shaggar is right

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

yeah phones are small of course they have tiny ram in them. do you want them to shove dimms in there or soemthing?

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Plank Walker posted:

it's weird how android appeals to the type of people who are really into min/maxing performance specs, but who also have a blind spot to the fact that apple's cpus are a generation ahead in performance

yeah this literally never gets mentioned. it's quite bizarre

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

the truth hurts

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
maybe it's because not having pages reload when you switch apps is more important on a mobile device than how many bitcoins you can mine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

it should be noted that youre looking at a specific subset of android users which is the group only interested in price

this group cares mostly about specs because its not like they can afford to shop based on how good an experience the device gives the user so they have to get the best crappy experience their $200 can buy and at that pricepoint some things like ram and software variant matter more than others

they dont mention the iphones performance for the same reason they dont mention the pixels or the galaxy s9 which is they cant afford one so it doesnt matter