Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Anyone have any tips for the ammo crates mission? There are so many enemies to keep track of, plus the emplacements and the ammo trucks? it's overwhelming me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Ignore the ammo trucks.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Soup du Journey posted:

wha? it's just a technology, same as any other. the problem's with the societies that have implemented it

It has as much scientific backing as phlogiston and phrenology, while also promoting racism and genocide

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Improbable Lobster posted:

It has as much scientific backing as phlogiston and phrenology, while also promoting racism and genocide
but that's not true at all. we've been selectively breeding stuff for millennia, to great effect: just look at p much every crop we grow or animal we keep. there's pretty much a 100% chance we'll do the same stuff with our own kiddos once the tech is there.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Arrath posted:

Tbf, you can shoot beyond that range against a sensor locked target, just at a penalty. I think.

Still, that just means don't get sensor locked before you can blow up that generator.

That said, I do think it's silly sensor lock can be done on any sensor track and not only on LoS targets. E: and that doesn't seem to be moddable, either. drat.

You can literally destroy the turret generator without any shots from enemy turrets or mechs. I've restarted the campaign a few times, and I can recreate this perfectly every time. Sprint everyone to the hard right with Dekker hugging the south side of that ridge so he doesn't trigger enemies on the board. Your Blackjack should be leading the way. Spam sprint all the way right on the second turn so that you get a 'free' turn when enemies and the Majesty Metals soundbite is triggered. From here, you're able to jumpjet your Blackjack onto a ledge that lets you spot the generator. Unload into it and barring absolutely poo poo luck with 3 misses, you'll destroy it without turrets ever having been a consideration.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Soup du Journey posted:

but that's not true at all. we've been selectively breeding stuff for millennia, to great effect: just look at p much every crop we grow or animal we keep. there's pretty much a 100% chance we'll do the same stuff with our own kiddos once the tech is there.

Shut the gently caress up dipshit

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Soup du Journey posted:

You're ignoring that literally the entire history and motivation for eugenics was "We need to get rid of the disabled and darkies". Selective breeding of livestock and food plants is different, as it isn't inherently white supremacist, nor is it exclusively exposed by white supremacists.

Eugenics was designed to and exclusively used to commit genocide throughout the entirety of its history. There are 0 valid concepts throughout the entirety of the movement. I assume that you're just a dipshit that's naive enough to think people are like carrots or bananas or cows and are merely ignorant that you're supporting debunked, racist psuedoscience.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

You're ignoring that literally the entire history and motivation for eugenics was "We need to get rid of the disabled and darkies". Selective breeding of livestock and food plants is different, as it isn't inherently white supremacist, nor is it exclusively exposed by white supremacists.

Eugenics was designed to and exclusively used to commit genocide throughout the entirety of its history. There are 0 valid concepts throughout the entirety of the movement. I assume that you're just a dipshit that's naive enough to think people are like carrots or bananas or cows and are merely ignorant that you're supporting debunked, racist psuedoscience.
no, i'm not ignoring it; i'm accounting for it by saying that the problem is with the societies that have attempted it. they were racist and imperialist, and so they implemented it in ways that mirrored their values.

saying the tech is bad is like saying nuclear power is bad because the atom was weaponized and used on hiroshima.

anyway, as i said in my last post, people are p much guaranteed to use it (and they'll do so in classist and vaguely racist ways because thats where we're at as a society). lets maybe look at the core of that (it is capitalism, by the way), instead of being rude online.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
Eugenics is perfectly legitimate as long as it is performed by giant robots punching stuff :colbert:

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Flesh is weaker than metal. Ergo, punch all flesh, embrace steel.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
i feel like people give me poo poo because of my red custom, but like, a crazy man gave that to me. maybe i really should fix it...

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Battletech: Eugenics worked with cows

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
battletech: putting the nazi in ashkenazi by screening my kids for brca2 mutations

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Soup du Journey posted:

no, i'm not ignoring it; i'm accounting for it by saying that the problem is with the societies that have attempted it. they were racist and imperialist, and so they implemented it in ways that mirrored their values.

saying the tech is bad is like saying nuclear power is bad because the atom was weaponized and used on hiroshima.

anyway, as i said in my last post, people are p much guaranteed to use it (and they'll do so in classist and vaguely racist ways because thats where we're at as a society). lets maybe look at the core of that (it is capitalism, by the way), instead of being rude online.

You don't seem to understand that the eugenics movement is a very specific thing beyond just selective breeding. Eugenics isn't Gattaca, it's forced sterilization of "undesirables" and forced impregnation. It's literally just genocide. Eugenics has nothing to do with genetics. It's political.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

Flipswitch posted:

Anyone have any tips for the ammo crates mission? There are so many enemies to keep track of, plus the emplacements and the ammo trucks? it's overwhelming me.

Moving directly forward is a trap even though it's very tempting with the water. Assuming you want to take out the trucks, take at least half your lance left through the mountain pass immediately and destroy the turret, then you can cut off the trucks when they appear (preferably bring a sensor lock so you can keep hitting after they start driving away) and pick off enemy light mechs as they come in. If you notice them gathering near a crate then blow up the crate since you can destroy two of those for free. Keep in mind that turrets go in Phase 1 and if any enemy can sight you then you'll eat some LRMs, so use Vigilance accordingly.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

All things serious, Gattaca is a pretty good movie.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

You don't seem to understand that the eugenics movement is a very specific thing beyond just selective breeding. Eugenics isn't Gattaca, it's forced sterilization of "undesirables" and forced impregnation. It's literally just genocide. Eugenics has nothing to do with genetics. It's political.
oh is that what the clans do? i thought it was just test tube babies.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

welp this friggin game/thread has gotten me to start reading that 7 seven years and still running Battletech Let's Play

and hey so can you

kater fucked around with this message at 01:31 on May 3, 2018

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

I'm not sure who is serious here, but you know that the eugenics was conceived around almost a hundred years before the nazis, right? It's a lot more broad than what those jackasses did regarding it.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
hi, regardless of the potential uses of eugenics in your utopian society, the battletech universe is real hardcore hosed and you can bet your bottom dollar they ain't fixing babies here.

it's incest all the way down homie.

e: Hi Paradox/Harebrained goons. When you guys implement the skip tutorial option, can you add a little pizzazz and actually make it so your character wasn't involved with the start stuff? ie you start on the Leopard and when you meet Arano you get a hot "who the gently caress are you?" intro rather then the "oh it's you again." bit.

Because no offense but the intro is both way too long, kinda not fun, and I'm not the biggest fan of being inserted into the story like that. If instead I can just show up and be a merc captain who got pulled into this mess, that'd be a lot cooler.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 01:36 on May 3, 2018

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Maybe shut the gently caress up about who knows more about evil and get back to bitching about the tutorial mission

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Maybe shut the gently caress up about who knows more about evil and get back to bitching about the tutorial mission

I lost the very first one

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
"MechWarriors, prepare for Titanfall"

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

There is an easy way to skip the tutorial/prologue with a bit of minor file editing.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

There is an easy way to skip the tutorial/prologue with a bit of minor file editing.

I'm mocking that guy who kept whining about the majesty metals mission

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Just once I'd like a mission to take out an enemy lance actually be facing a lance and not two or three :sigh:

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

On making a trip to New Vandenburg *shrug* if you have time to kill they did have some good stuff, but nothing ridiculous like Lost Star League crap. Missions there were a bit tougher, I killed an Atlas on there and thats how I got it into my Lance.

Taurians are probably the most fleshed out Periphery State, and the most powerful. Their insane paranoia over the Federated Suns gets a bit ridiculous later on though. The Canopians who you ostensibly work for have their own boondoggle soon when they try to form a new state with a chunk of the FWL to beat up the Capellans after they get owned in the 4th Succession War. The best periphery state though is the goofy as gently caress Marian Hegemony, where some rich eccentric decided to rebuild the Roman Republic in the Periphery out of a pirate kingdom and somehow it worked.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Just once I'd like a mission to take out an enemy lance actually be facing a lance and not two or three :sigh:

More enemies? More salvage.*

*Make sure the salvage is not you

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'm mocking that guy who kept whining about the majesty metals mission

what, who was?! that's like the tutorial mission

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
the big where your employer turns on you cost me dekker's mech and a 100+ day hospital stay for him, but it was also really funny and a perfect way of establishing the "everything is terrible in here, the rear end end of space, where we have no money" atmosphere

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Zigmidge posted:

"MechWarriors, prepare for Titanfall"

If I could delay dropping in my heavy and then plopping it right on top of an enemy light I so fuckin would.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i get the feeling that how much trouble you had with the 3 years later mission is directly proportional to how quickly and efficiently you beelined for the generator to disable the turrets. jumpjet over the mountain and snipe it before anything else? gravy. jumpjet places but underestimate the lrm turrets before pulling the enemy mechs out (what i did)? not too bad. march up the road and get bogged down trying to kill both light mechs before advancing on the compound while turrets take shots at you the whole time? gruesome.

cugel
Jan 22, 2010

Synthbuttrange posted:

It must be the meanest, most unfair tutorial mission ever then; in a good way but still.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

i get the feeling that how much trouble you had with the 3 years later mission is directly proportional to how quickly and efficiently you beelined for the generator to disable the turrets. jumpjet over the mountain and snipe it before anything else? gravy. jumpjet places but underestimate the lrm turrets before pulling the enemy mechs out (what i did)? not too bad. march up the road and get bogged down trying to kill both light mechs before advancing on the compound while turrets take shots at you the whole time? gruesome.

And if you didn't learn the lesson at the start, you sure should have by the end. :v:

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007
A new recruit mechwarrior named Club, in my Atlas II, wanders up to an enemy King Crab. He lands a mighty punch and proclaims in a thick southern drawl, "I just did some'n nasty to that sumbitch."

Killed the Crab's pilot. Now I own a Crab. What can I do to encourage Club's tendency for "nasty" on "sumbitches?"

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Assume the turrets can't launch indirect fire and backpedal, actively making it harder to get to the generator? :gibs:

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Synthbuttrange posted:

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

I had to redo the first non-tutorial mission 5 times because each time the LRMs from the turrets injured at least 3 of my pilots and usually killed one. :negative:

I need to give all of my mechs nice helmets or something.

He went on for a couple pages about how it's bad design and going around the mountain with a jumpjet mech doesn't work and

kater
Nov 16, 2010

It was a good tutorial mission for me because I hadn't noticed DFA did damage to yourself so I did it like four times with Commander and Dekkar and the last time Dekkar impaled himself on a mech and I had no idea what was happening but everyone was screaming and there was so much metal noise. I thought for sure I had just murdered him but hey he was chilling back on the ship.

I guess you can be unlucky but the game makes it pretty clear you should be maxing out evasion and its not like you are facing ten things at once where that is ineffective.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

what was that patch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Flipswitch posted:

each bonus objective only gives you 10% payout
you can nuke two ammo crates and not lose the bonus.