Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Puerto Rico ANG, WC-130H. 5 souls on board. Not sure if they’ve confirmed 5 dead yet, but I can’t imagine walking away from that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

Sagebrush posted:

If you're puking that color you should probably examine your diet

It's the color you'd puke if you just got done wolfing down a half gallon of Blue Moon ice cream.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Prop Wash posted:

Puerto Rico ANG, WC-130H. 5 souls on board. Not sure if they’ve confirmed 5 dead yet, but I can’t imagine walking away from that.

I heard 2 confirmed dead. If 3 survived that's a goddamn miracle.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Mortabis posted:

I heard 2 confirmed dead. If 3 survived that's a goddamn miracle.

Posted in the CW TFR thread:
https://twitter.com/scottoftroy/status/991727656860299264

Ain't nobody walking away from that, christ.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
What the gently caress was that? Low altitude stall and spin? I couldn't really tell from the surveillance footage.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

Nap Ghost

PT6A posted:

What the gently caress was that? Low altitude stall and spin? I couldn't really tell from the surveillance footage.

Really - it looked like a classic stall/spin. How is that possible in an aircraft of that sophistication? Pulling two on the same side? It was supposed to be a training flight.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Finger Prince posted:

Needs more vacuum tubes.

And a liquid cooling system filled with vodka

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

ausgezeichnet posted:

Really - it looked like a classic stall/spin. How is that possible in an aircraft of that sophistication? Pulling two on the same side? It was supposed to be a training flight.

I'm not really sure, having flown nothing larger/more complex than a Seneca myself. The only things that come to mind immediately are dropping below Vmc with an engine failure (real or simulated), poor speed management in general, or possibly a skidding turn resulting from a desire to correct a late turn, and I have absolutely no idea how a plane of that size and/or complexity would respond to either of those situations.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Another possibility with cargo planes is something becoming unsecured and massively shifting the center of gravity, potentially beyond what the flight controls can compensate for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo51Be2jL8c

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

ausgezeichnet posted:

An aircraft of that sophistication? If faceplace is telling me the truth that was a 1965 model and on its way to the boneyard (which is plausible given what I know about the PR tails). If that's true, then it was likely empty. Rumor mill says they may have lost an engine, but of course nobody will know anything for sure until the public release.

Tough day for the Herk family. I taught a lot of Puerto Ricans at the schoolhouse, and I'm selfishly hoping that none of my students were aboard.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Courtesy of the OSHA thread:

Lime Tonics posted:

Man buys helicopter, tries to learn to fly in his own yard, crashes. Read page 1, then skip to page 7.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/His-property-his-rules/5-2101215/?page=1

https://www.wsoctv.com/www.wsoctv.com/news/local/small-aircraft-crashes-in-lincoln-county/742630301

quote:

"If I had a helicopter I wouldn't choose to fly it into a tree but that's his property and I respect his right to do that."

As the article notes the guy won $100,000 from a scratch off lotto ticket in October, so that's a pretty exciting way to get rid of your winnings I guess.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Haha

Nope. Nothing bad can happen here. Now, excuse me while I try to fly a helicopter with no training right out of a loving forest.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

slidebite posted:

Haha

Nope. Nothing bad can happen here. Now, excuse me while I try to fly a helicopter with no training right out of a loving forest.

You've really got to see it from another angle to get an idea of just how large of a slope he's loving around on @0:56 http://www.wbtv.com/story/38094215/crews-responding-to-reported-helicopter-crash-in-iron-station

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

MisterOblivious posted:

You've really got to see it from another angle to get an idea of just how large of a slope he's loving around on @0:56 http://www.wbtv.com/story/38094215/crews-responding-to-reported-helicopter-crash-in-iron-station

lol of course it had a moto paint job.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

Nap Ghost

Prop Wash posted:

An aircraft of that sophistication? If faceplace is telling me the truth that was a 1965 model and on its way to the boneyard (which is plausible given what I know about the PR tails). If that's true, then it was likely empty. Rumor mill says they may have lost an engine, but of course nobody will know anything for sure until the public release.

Tough day for the Herk family. I taught a lot of Puerto Ricans at the schoolhouse, and I'm selfishly hoping that none of my students were aboard.

It has a stall warning system (up to and including a stick pusher?), GPWS, four engines and a flight crew of three. Other than a load shift (on a reported empty training flight to the boneyard), the only thing I can reasonably imagine is that an instructor pulled back two on the same side and it got away from them or maybe a prop runaway in reverse.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oF7FR7TjnME
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

those planes on the ground are getting really close to right under m...oh poo poo oh poo poo
/
:stare:

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Jesus christ

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
It must be an awful feeling to be a pilot on the ground on the taxi-way getting blinded by landing lights with fuckall you can do save maybe yell at ATC about it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

It must be an awful feeling to be a pilot on the ground on the taxi-way getting blinded by landing lights with fuckall you can do save maybe yell at ATC about it.

Well they should be on the same frequency when that close so open mic and "GOAROUNDGOAROUNDGOAROUNDGOAROUNDGOAROUND" could work. However one contributing factor to the Tenerife disaster was the Pan Am flight screaming on the radio for the Lufthansa flight to stop - this interfered with the tower screaming at the Lufthansa flight to stop so they only heard static.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

OK, I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but how can 2 pilots not see their touchdown point isn't literally on top of aircraft on a taxiway? It's night, but not like blind ILS. It's a god drat miracle that didn't end in a disaster . :stare:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
It's just not Southwest's year: https://nypost.com/2018/05/02/southwest-airlines-flight-makes-emergency-landing-due-to-broken-window/amp/

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

Came here to post that. Estimated minimum vertical separation was 5 feet between the top of the taxiing vertical stab and the bottom of the Canadians. :catstare:

Edit: Slidebite, they did see them! Cockpit voice recorder has them querying ATC because they noticed lights on the percieved runway. ATC told them there was no traffic on 28R and they proceeded with the landing attempt despite reality not matching what they'd been told.

I know there were arguments, with merit I think, about the taxiway lights being easily mistaken for runway, but if they saw lights that could be distinguished as traffic and still proceeded... :catstare:++

Wombot fucked around with this message at 03:46 on May 3, 2018

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

slidebite posted:

OK, I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but how can 2 pilots not see their touchdown point isn't literally on top of aircraft on a taxiway?

Heres 102 pages on the subject: https://dms.ntsb.gov/public/61000-61499/61112/614631.pdf

quote:

The crew reported that the approach was flown, by the autopilot, until prior to the final waypoint
on the approach, which was labeled as F101D, at which point the captain disconnected the
autopilot and hand flew the remainder of the approach. The captain requested that the first officer
verify that their runway was clear. ATC voice recordings included the following10:
2355:45 ACA759 Just want to confirm this is air canada seven five nine we see some lights
on the runway there across the runway. Can you confirm we’re cleared to land?
2355:5211 ATCT air canada seven five nine confirmed cleared to land runway two eight
right. There’s no one on runway two eight right but you.
2355:59 United Airlines 1 Where’s this guy going
2356:02 United Airlines 1 He’s on the taxiway
2356:09 ATCT instructed ACA759 to go around
During post incident interviews, the first officer reported that prior to his query to the ATCT if the
runway was clear he was looking more inside the cockpit than out because, as the PM, he was
required to set the missed approach altitude and the anticipated heading for a missed approach.
These tasks required him to look inside at his approach chart to obtain that information. He further
stated that when the captain asked him to query the control tower, he looked outside, and it “didn’t
look right.” Although he was not certain what was incorrect, he was unable to process what he was
seeing. He subsequently commanded the go around to the captain by saying “go around go
around.” According to the captain, that was simultaneous to him beginning the go around. During
the initiation of the go around, the ATCT controller also issued go around instructions.
During the downwind leg for the second approach, the first officer asked the captain if they should
“tune in the ILS12” to which the captain agreed.

1.1 Previous Arrival – Crew Statement13
The flight preceding the incident flight landed on runway 28R about 4 minutes prior to the
incident. The flight crew of the preceding flight reported that the “construction lights were so
bright we could not determine the location of the inboard runway, 28L.” Visually acquiring the
runway, both crewmembers reported questioning if they were lined up for runway 28R; however,
after crosschecking with the LNAV14 they were able to determine they were lined-up for runway
28R.
They received additional confirmation about 300 feet above ground level (agl) when the
captain visually acquired the painted “28R” on the paved surface of the runway. The captain of
that flight further reported that the aircraft on taxiway C were stopped and had their taxi lights
off, which “helped to create this misconception that taxiway C was RWY 28R.”

One possibility there for some confusion at least.

Continuing to skim...
Captain:

quote:

On Friday, July 7, he fell asleep between 0200 and 0300 and awoke about 0745 by his children.
About 1120, crew scheduling called to notify him that he had been assigned a flight. He did not
take any naps that day and reported to the airport by 1940 for the flight. The incident flight departed
at 2125 EDT and this was the incident flight. Prior to the incident flight he considered himself
rested. He started feeling fatigued about midpoint on the incident flight, about the time they
encountered the area of thunderstorm activity.

FO seemed reasonably well rested, however lol at 9am being "sleeping in"

quote:

On Friday, July 7, the flight to Toronto arrived about 0030 and he went to bed about 0300. He
awoke about 0900. The rest of the day, he “took it easy.” His wife and kids were out so he was
able to sleep in. He had lunch around noon and took a 90-minute nap about 1300. He woke up
from the nap, spent time with his kids, had dinner and went back to work arriving at 1910 for a
1940 report time. He departed on the incident flight to SFO that evening. He stated that both he
and the captain began to feel tired about 0200-0300 EDT on Saturday, July 8.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
I just wanted to brag that I apparently got the separation pretty drat close to correct in my mock-up image I posted back when the incident occurred :stonk:

Sagebrush posted:

No -- the lowest altitude would have been shortly after they pulled up. Takes a second to stop the descent before it begins to climb. When they hit 81 feet they were probably more like 10-15 degrees nose-up, depending on how terrified the pilots were.

It's a reasonable angle for the descent though iirc (I set it to 3 degrees)

However, if I do set it to 10 degrees nose-up, the image becomes even more terrifying, because the static port (from where the altitude is measured, though I dunno if 737s have radar altimeters or whatever) is located just below the cockpit. Putting that at 81 feet with 10 degree alpha...

Also, re. this:

Wombot posted:

I know there were arguments, with merit I think, about the taxiway lights being easily mistaken for runway, but if they saw lights that could be distinguished as traffic and still proceeded... :catstare:++

Sagebrush posted:

If the FAA can use commercial flight simulators to reenact accidents, so can I! I made the same approach in X-Plane, which is known to have accurate and high-quality night lighting. I also photoshopped out 28L to simulate the appearance of the airport that night, more or less -- the runway was under construction, so its lights were off. There was apparently also a large illuminated X on the runway but I don't know what that looked like so I ignored it.

Anyway, yes the taxiway is parallel and everything, but it's still pretty unfathomable that they confused it with 28R:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Did you set the runway lighting levels correctly based on the NOTAMs active at the time?

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
I'm incredibly sorry for the loss of life in today's WC-130 crash, but I can't say I didn't expect it to happen eventually.

As someone who has personally laid hands and tools on a Puerto Rico ANG C-130, you could not pay me enough to get on one as PAX. Like literally I would pay whatever I needed to, and eat whatever administrative action/punishment I had to not to fly on one of their birds. About 10 years ago, I was in Europe doing an OEF/OIF support trip, and PRANG were the rotation relieving us. Their birds came in, and myself and another couple guys were tasked with putting their birds to bed for the evening, along with fixing anything fixable in the time left on our shift, while the rest of our unit threw the PRANG guys a welcome party. We opened the forms on one of their birds and there were discrepancies in the forms that were 18 months old. Of particular note was an autopilot discrepancy from many months previous that, by it's nature, would have rendered the autopilot system completely inoperable. We then verified the discrepancy and fixed the problem via a parts change. We came to realize later that this meant that they had manually flown the plane, hands on yoke, all the way from PR to central Europe. It's not a straight shot in a non-air refuel/non Benson tank equipped 130 either, I believe their route was PR->somewhere Eastern Seaboard (probably Norfolk)->St Johns->Shannon/Lakenheath/Mildenhall->our location. We later asked about this with some of the PR maintainers and got answers of "Yes, we didn't have autopilot". When we were later loading defensive flares, half the dispensers were installed upside down, which from experience, takes some real creative stretching of wire bundles. Those are only two of the things that rapidly come to mind, but they speak of a maintenance culture that is entirely foreign to me, and I wasn't even working on the propulsion/nitty-gritty airframe stuff at the time but I'm sure some of the crewchiefs that were there with me could tell similar stories.

spookykid fucked around with this message at 05:35 on May 3, 2018

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

hobbesmaster posted:

Did you set the runway lighting levels correctly based on the NOTAMs active at the time?

I just turned off the lights on 28L, which is what the NOTAM said had been done. Didn't mess with the brightness of the others. Do pilots flying into a place like SFO regularly request that the brightness be changed? Is it possible that a previous flight had asked to dim the lighting on 28R, so there was less of a distinction?

In any case, one dim blue line vs a huge bright yellow line should be a pretty obvious distinction, and if they were confused because they were expecting to see two runways -- well, read the NOTAMs, that's what they're for.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

No time for NOTAMs!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

I just turned off the lights on 28L, which is what the NOTAM said had been done. Didn't mess with the brightness of the others. Do pilots flying into a place like SFO regularly request that the brightness be changed? Is it possible that a previous flight had asked to dim the lighting on 28R, so there was less of a distinction?

In any case, one dim blue line vs a huge bright yellow line should be a pretty obvious distinction, and if they were confused because they were expecting to see two runways -- well, read the NOTAMs, that's what they're for.

I ask because there was a delta flight that landed on a taxiway at ATL in the middle of the night maybe 20 years ago and the NTSB report noted the lighting levels set were very odd looking from the air. ie they had the taxiway set to max and the runway set to minimum

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Dannywilson posted:

I'm incredibly sorry for the loss of life in today's WC-130 crash, but I can't say I didn't expect it to happen eventually.

As someone who has personally laid hands and tools on a Puerto Rico ANG C-130, you could not pay me enough to get on one as PAX. Like literally I would pay whatever I needed to, and eat whatever administrative action/punishment I had to not to fly on one of their birds. About 10 years ago, I was in Europe doing an OEF/OIF support trip, and PRANG were the rotation relieving us. Their birds came in, and myself and another couple guys were tasked with putting their birds to bed for the evening, along with fixing anything fixable in the time left on our shift, while the rest of our unit threw the PRANG guys a welcome party. We opened the forms on one of their birds and there were discrepancies in the forms that were 18 months old. Of particular note was an autopilot discrepancy from many months previous that, by it's nature, would have rendered the autopilot system completely inoperable. We then verified the discrepancy and fixed the problem via a parts change. We came to realize later that this meant that they had manually flown the plane, hands on yoke, all the way from PR to central Europe. It's not a straight shot in a non-air refuel/non Benson tank equipped 130 either, I believe their route was PR->somewhere Eastern Seaboard (probably Norfolk)->St Johns->Shannon/Lakenheath/Mildenhall->our location. We later asked about this with some of the PR maintainers and got answers of "Yes, we didn't have autopilot". When we were later loading defensive flares, half the dispensers were installed upside down, which from experience, takes some real creative stretching of wire bundles. Those are only two of the things that rapidly come to mind, but they speak of a maintenance culture that is entirely foreign to me, and I wasn't even working on the propulsion/nitty-gritty airframe stuff at the time but I'm sure some of the crewchiefs that were there with me could tell similar stories.

Fitting that their abbreviation is PRANG then.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

PT6A posted:

My guess is engine out into overbank (trying to turn to the runway instead of slamming the throttles and using your brain).

holy hell

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Dannywilson posted:

There's not necessarily anything strange about a C-130 crew electing to continue with an inoperative autopilot. I saw it happen several times during long missions, and while it's a tremendous pain for the pilots, the autopilot system isn't technically required for flight. All it does is slash down the maximum flight duty period (normally 16 hrs / 18 hrs augmented, drops to 12 hrs / 16 hrs augmented without autopilot). I can't speak for their MXG choosing to deploy a bird with that issue, though.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Prop Wash posted:

There's not necessarily anything strange about a C-130 crew electing to continue with an inoperative autopilot. I saw it happen several times during long missions, and while it's a tremendous pain for the pilots, the autopilot system isn't technically required for flight. All it does is slash down the maximum flight duty period (normally 16 hrs / 18 hrs augmented, drops to 12 hrs / 16 hrs augmented without autopilot). I can't speak for their MXG choosing to deploy a bird with that issue, though.

I think it's the "eighteen months" part

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Russian Su-30 crashed in Syria, possible birdstrike

https://www.haaretz.com/middle-east-news/syria/russian-fighter-jet-crashes-off-syrian-coast-both-pilots-killed-1.6052882

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Apparently a white dove with an olive branch in its beak went down one intake and got shredded to hell.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
There are dozens of aircraft in the USAF inventory as old or older than that WC-130. And a lot more built within 10 years of it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Godholio posted:

There are dozens of aircraft in the USAF inventory as old or older than that WC-130. And a lot more built within 10 years of it.

It really did look like a sudden stall due to center of gravity change. I wonder if they loaded someone on it.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

CommieGIR posted:

It really did look like a sudden stall due to center of gravity change. I wonder if they loaded someone on it.
"This is a training flight, ending at the boneyard, where the aircraft will stay forever. So, we're not flying home in this bird. Tell you what, let's load my car in here, and I'll give you all a ride home after. This adds to the training value: you get to handle the aircraft with a load!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I don't think it looks like C of G because it's already so steeply nose down. It looks like it's mushing and they are pulling back on the stick which causes a wing drop, which they correct, roll out and maybe start to recover but too low.