Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.

You look like LingcodKilla's avatar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
No tuna today unfortunately. The water was pretty dirty even a long way offshore. We covered 28km for zero fish.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo that’s amazing. I have a kayaking dry suit and while it is a lot more reasonable to that, it is still the most uncomfortable thing I’ve ever paid money for.

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

I know kayaks were invented by people in frigid climates who had to dodge ice floes and orcas but I'm grateful the most I've had to put on is splash pants, neoprene boots, and a windbreaker with a very light sweater underneath. I'd still love to do a kayak tour in Alaska/Greenland/Norway/etc. though.

Content: I went out twice this week, and only caught two fish: a gafftop on Tuesday and this small (maybe 10 inches) trout on Wednesday. Sorry for the lovely picture, it's the first targeted species I've caught since February. Live shrimp under a popping cork got him to bite. Still haven't caught anything with the dick lure, it's not coming off that rod (my Ugly Stik, fittingly) until I do.

View of where I launched from on Wednesday. North side of the Skyway, facing out towards Fort DeSoto. Weather was perfect. I paddled around to the other side of that peninsula and drifted the flats towards the pier. First time in those waters, I'll have to try it out more (and definitely on the other side of the bridge and bay).

And lastly, a baby horseshoe crab I befriended on Tuesday and let go after snapping a quick picture

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Clocked up another 30km today, this time out to the 50m line at Portland. The water looked better, cleaner but still green and we saw a few bait balls on the sounder but no sign of any tuna. Nearly 60km of paddling over the two days for zero fish. It’s a public holiday on Wednesday so if the weather is ok maybe I’ll finally find some fish to murder

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
These South Pinellas County fish wanna know why there are so many shiny dicks in the water all of a sudden.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Protoyped up the rod holder for my free kayak.

Might give it a test run tomorrow. I had my first horrible attempt at plastic welding to seal up a puncture. I ended up getting the thin boat too warm and it deformed. Oh well, lessons. :hfive:

CHUCK WAS TAKEN
Aug 1, 2004
this kid has heart

gay picnic defence posted:

Clocked up another 30km today, this time out to the 50m line at Portland. The water looked better, cleaner but still green and we saw a few bait balls on the sounder but no sign of any tuna. Nearly 60km of paddling over the two days for zero fish. It’s a public holiday on Wednesday so if the weather is ok maybe I’ll finally find some fish to murder

Well, even if you don't, you are still doing really cool poo poo imo

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Are there any Los Angeles area fishgoons that would like to go catch some fish?

My friends all 'love to fish' but only one actually does, but he just started working graveyard so fishing is tough for him to manage.

Mostly shore fish off the jetties around town, but am open for most any kind of fishing.

Also now this feels like the weirdest personals ad.

e: I need someone to share the joy of the dick lure with

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I love these accounts of dick lures in the wild. The Dick Spoon Diaspora.

Sockington posted:

Protoyped up the rod holder for my free kayak.

Might give it a test run tomorrow. I had my first horrible attempt at plastic welding to seal up a puncture. I ended up getting the thin boat too warm and it deformed. Oh well, lessons. :hfive:

I'm in a similar boat (:rimshot:) getting my fishfinder and transceiver mounted on the 420's pontoon. I bought a mount that straps to it, but naturally I need to make another trip to the hardware store to be able to attach the FF stand to the mount. Oh well, it will be worth it. I lust for fish and lake data. As for the plastic welding mishap, I think that this is exactly the right kayak to accidentally gently caress up.

Danthrax posted:

I know kayaks were invented by people in frigid climates who had to dodge ice floes and orcas but I'm grateful the most I've had to put on is splash pants, neoprene boots, and a windbreaker with a very light sweater underneath. I'd still love to do a kayak tour in Alaska/Greenland/Norway/etc. though.

*cough* San Juan Islands *cough* Awesome pics, too! Florida is pretty in ways unfamiliar to me.

CHUCK WAS TAKEN posted:

Well, even if you don't, you are still doing really cool poo poo imo

GPD does rad poo poo all of the time. It appears to be his policy, or at least a persistent habit.

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

Are there any Los Angeles area fishgoons that would like to go catch some fish?

My friends all 'love to fish' but only one actually does, but he just started working graveyard so fishing is tough for him to manage.

Mostly shore fish off the jetties around town, but am open for most any kind of fishing.

Also now this feels like the weirdest personals ad.

e: I need someone to share the joy of the dick lure with

I am not local, but I'm going to be in LA at least once this year. I'll PM you when I have an idea of when that is and maybe we could go surf fishing.

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!
After a long lovely winter in SE PA the weather is finally nice again and I can post some loving fish!

The long winter has kept the bass and chainsides in hiding, but I was killing it on trout all weekend. The Johnson Min-O-Spin was automatic. Gonna buy 10 more since I lost the 2 I had in the trees.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

I love these accounts of dick lures in the wild. The Dick Spoon Diaspora.

I'm in a similar boat (:rimshot:) getting my fishfinder and transceiver mounted on the 420's pontoon. I bought a mount that straps to it, but naturally I need to make another trip to the hardware store to be able to attach the FF stand to the mount. Oh well, it will be worth it. I lust for fish and lake data. As for the plastic welding mishap, I think that this is exactly the right kayak to accidentally gently caress up.

*cough* San Juan Islands *cough* Awesome pics, too! Florida is pretty in ways unfamiliar to me.

GPD does rad poo poo all of the time. It appears to be his policy, or at least a persistent habit.

I am not local, but I'm going to be in LA at least once this year. I'll PM you when I have an idea of when that is and maybe we could go surf fishing.

I’ll vouch for him being a decent sort of guy.

Thinking about going on a stripper party boat near DC.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

I’ll vouch for him being a decent sort of guy.

Thinking about going on a stripper party boat near DC.

The jokes, they write themselves. Post pics.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Does anyone know why people leave the plastic wrap on their rod handles sometimes? It drives me nuts, like when people leave the plastic film on their laptops for 2 years.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

joem83 posted:

Does anyone know why people leave the plastic wrap on their rod handles sometimes? It drives me nuts, like when people leave the plastic film on their laptops for 2 years.

People do that on purpose? I can't think of any reason why you'd want to leave smooth, slippery plastic wrap on the grip surface of your rod. Seems like cork could rot if moisture got trapped between the handle and the plastic wrap, too.

Right now I'm researching RIBs and trolling motors. Oddly enough, a 12' RIB might be the best option to get me and another person off shore and not have to store a vessel with a rigid hull.

Crappie pros: is it too early in the year to try? We're just coming off a week of July-like weather and I'm wondering if it's worth going out. I have little sunfish experience, but I know that I have the tackle for them.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

I've definitely seen it in several videos. Freaking weirdos. Sorry if anyone here does it too, you're weird.

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!
I keep the plastic film on the outer part of my TVs and monitors so that I know it's always like new underneath. I am a weirdo.

I'd never do it with rods though, that's extra weird.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

joem83 posted:

I've definitely seen it in several videos. Freaking weirdos. Sorry if anyone here does it too, you're weird.

Sponsor gear they gotta give back in saleable condition maybe?

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

the yeti posted:

That might be it? A much better reason than anything I could come up with. Half the time I'm worried that I'm somehow going to lose grip on my baitcaster rods mid-cast anyway, having plastic on there would just make it worse for me.

Rape Stink posted:

I keep the plastic film on the outer part of my TVs and monitors so that I know it's always like new underneath. I am a weirdo.

I'd never do it with rods though, that's extra weird.

Hey man, as long as you don't have plastic on your couches I think we can still be friends.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

the yeti posted:

Sponsored gear that the video producers are going to flip on eBay for max new-in-package value, maybe. Or maybe they bought it themselves and returned it after filming.

Still waiting on a reason better than, "Oh poo poo, I'm supposed to take that off? I didn't know."

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

New kayak anchor purchased, gonna fish like an idiot all weekend.

Forgot to get trout crankbaits so I'm gonna get some bass I guess.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Finally got out yesterday and caught this nice little brown:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

sounds good!

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

SubponticatePoster posted:

Nice! :golfclap:

I'd love to get into some trout as we have a lot of rainbows in the area - and of course I've never caught one. I've tossed my normal twisters for a bit, but haven't caught anything other than that one walleye from last month.

CHUCK WAS TAKEN
Aug 1, 2004
this kid has heart

Crazy colors on that! I thought it was a brook trout when I first saw it.

We fished the Chattooga again last week, which was pretty much at flood stage after a whole weekend of rain. The fish were really energetic and enjoying spring temperatures, and I lost a few decent fish in the 12 inch class due to their acrobatic tendencies. I hooked in to another decent brown, but in ten feet of water it charged like a bull shark against the 3wt. I tend to narrate when I have something sassy on, and when Ben heard me say "this poo poo must be foul hooked, because it has overspun my drag in this raging-rear end current, and now I don't have a reel!" he came down and hit the assist with his net. I took the opportunity to get a "grip and grin" shot. This fish will probably end up getting deep fat fried some time between now and October, but if not, maybe I can post a real cool pic next fall:

Also the pics are back from the Belize trip I had to cancel on (gently caress my job), and it looks like my uncle and his old rear end Republican friends (he isn't one, dw) did, in fact, find some bonefish:

I almost busted on him like "where's the fly rod old son," but I'm pretty sure here it is:

edit: he also dropped those pics on me while I was at work, which in my circle is a sick game where you win points and earn deserved wig splits

CHUCK WAS TAKEN fucked around with this message at 07:51 on May 1, 2018

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Sockington posted:

Nice! :golfclap:

I'd love to get into some trout as we have a lot of rainbows in the area - and of course I've never caught one. I've tossed my normal twisters for a bit, but haven't caught anything other than that one walleye from last month.
Got that guy the good old-fashioned way: worm on a hook. I've caught trout on a spinner, but at least locally they seem to prefer worms and salmon eggs. I've never even gotten a bite using Power Bait, though other people swear by it. If you aren't restricted to artificial bait get ye some earthworms and give that a shot.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Got that guy the good old-fashioned way: worm on a hook. I've caught trout on a spinner, but at least locally they seem to prefer worms and salmon eggs. I've never even gotten a bite using Power Bait, though other people swear by it. If you aren't restricted to artificial bait get ye some earthworms and give that a shot.

Perfect! Already got a fridge full (that the wife hates) for use with drifting worm harnesses when boat hunting walleye.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Here in Australia Power Bait is an awesome bait for recently stocked trout because it is similar to what they get fed in the hatchery

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

gay picnic defence posted:

Here in Australia Power Bait is an awesome bait for recently stocked trout because it is similar to what they get fed in the hatchery

I've heard that here, too. Power Eggs off the bottom are the bait of choice for many plunkers up here. They float, so you basically want to do a Carolina rig off the bottom with a leader long enough to be just above the weeds. The main advantage that worms have over Power Bait is with worms you don't wind up with a big ziplock bag with 87 different colors of them.

I think leader length has actually been a big issue for me; I've been using leaders 1.5' - 2.5' leaders unsuccessfully and I recently discovered with my fish finder that the weeds in my local lake are consistently 3' - 4'. I also learned that I am incapable of leg-powered trolling in the float tube, but that is not the 420's fault.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

main advantage that worms have over Power Bait is with worms you don't wind up with a big ziplock bag with 87 different colors of them.

Leave them in the car for a few days in summer and you'll get a couple colours (and stink).

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Sockington posted:

Leave them in the car for a few days in summer and you'll get a couple colours (and stink).
I once forgot a styrofoam cup of them in the car in summer :gonk:

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
how do you fish again after catching consistently 4+ pound rainbow trout in a stocked pond? now everytime i go fishing i throw back crappie bass and perch realizing that i'd need to fillet 15 of them for the same amount of meat

on the bright side: i don't post pictures of them because it'd be both cheating and cruel

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

extra stout posted:

how do you fish again after catching consistently 4+ pound rainbow trout in a stocked pond? now everytime i go fishing i throw back crappie bass and perch realizing that i'd need to fillet 15 of them for the same amount of meat

on the bright side: i don't post pictures of them because it'd be both cheating and cruel

Easy, you fish for 30lb salmon.

Post your consistent four pound trout pics and talk about how you got them. Do you think that we don't like seeing pics of fish itt? That is not correct.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Went out in my yak yesterday and today. Yesterday hit up a tidal river with my bro, didn't catch anything but it is early for white perch still. Today I went alone to a little pond by my house. I caught 4 bass about the size as the one pictured and the pickerel. I got most of them in the weeds, which this pond has like 2-3 acres of. There was no pattern I could find, all the fish came on different lures. I saw a ton of panfish beads and was fishing around them, but didn't see any bass beds.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Did you throw a frog around there? Not sure I could resist doing so myself.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

joem83 posted:

Did you throw a frog around there? Not sure I could resist doing so myself.

No, not yet. I tried running the paddletail on top for a bit but there were no takers, but today was also a scouting mission as the water was super clear. I found the channels and holes in the field so when the cover is all the way in I know where to cast.

I also don’t really have a good frog-rod solution for my yak yet. In cover this light my pair of MH Loomis rods will work but once the cover really comes in I need to figure something else. I have a iRod frog rod I am fine with risking on the yak, but it’s like 7’5” with a long rear end handle and it sucks to use and deal with in general. I might cut the handle down, but that will only get me like 2” off at most.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Easy, you fish for 30lb salmon.

Post your consistent four pound trout pics and talk about how you got them. Do you think that we don't like seeing pics of fish itt? That is not correct.

i wish man, my best rod is a 42 dollar ugly stik which i think is rated for up to 12 pound line, i'd get a big rig going but i mostly just go for crappie

might snap some fat trout pictures, they are still a load of fun. i've only had one break my line, the funniest way to lose these fish is when they stay on long enough to bend a hook straight

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Use your drag! The biggest fish caught in my local lake was a 102lb blue catfish that the guy caught on 8lb test.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

joem83 posted:

Use your drag! The biggest fish caught in my local lake was a 102lb blue catfish that the guy caught on 8lb test.

Now I wanna see RuPaul host a fishing show.

beefnoodle fucked around with this message at 16:09 on May 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
Finally got into some trout this past weekend. I was playing around with some peacock neck feathers while tying flies, and made a killer nymph pattern. I caught over 60 fish in 3 sessions over the weekend on them. Saturday evening, I got 28 trout to hand out of one hole in about 45 minutes at the local spillway. :haw: