Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

AttackBacon posted:

I was fuckin shook. I don't know that I ever really recovered. Probably why I still nurse a grudge against the Inner Sphere and their ugly, stupid rear end mechs. Thank god for FlyingDebris.

Stalker is what happens when the artist is half-way through drawing a DropShip but gets told they need another Assault 'Mech instead.

See also: the Hussar, which is the same scenario except the artist was drawing a Tank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Synthbuttrange posted:

hahahahah gently caress I'd completely forgotten what a tabletop Kintaro looks like.

:bisonyes:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

PoptartsNinja posted:

Stalker is what happens when the artist is half-way through drawing a DropShip but gets told they need another Assault 'Mech instead.

See also: the Hussar, which is the same scenario except the artist was drawing a Tank.

Don't slander the Stalker :(

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

AttackBacon posted:

I was 9 when Mechwarrior 2 came out and I was loving blown away by the goddamn Timber Wolf walking out of the flame box art. Remains one of my favorite games to this day. One of my favorite bits was the freaking sweet manual, with the schematics for all the mechs (MW2 and Ghost Bear had imo the best manuals of any games ever). When I found out the game was based on a whole tabletop system, I was so loving stoked. I got my dad to drive me to the store and madly searched for Battletech books. I found one of the technical readouts, 3025 Revised if I recall correctly, and whipped that sucker open to a random page. I was greeted by this...uh...masterpiece:

I was fuckin shook. I don't know that I ever really recovered. Probably why I still nurse a grudge against the Inner Sphere and their ugly, stupid rear end mechs. Thank god for FlyingDebris.

It's like a zeppelin making love to a walking dumpster.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Decided to install MW4:M on Win10 after seeing people wondering about how to get it to work. The answer was: very easily, actually, just had to delete/rename a single file and the game runs, no messing with compatability, widescreen compatible. I should note that I downloaded the Mektek 3.1 version of the game so that might have something to do with it?

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Things might be worse than the 80's, but at least the Mech art is better.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Coldforge posted:

4 energy, 3 missile, 2 small (I think).

Also works great as a missile boat, if you have LR20s.

You can also do a bracket build with 2 PPC's, 2 mlas, 2 SRM6, 1 SRM4, 1 ton of ammo, 3 jumpjets, an additional ton of armour, and the rest heatsinks. On any temperate world or colder, you can fire the PPC's with impunity, and even on most hot worlds you just need to cadence fire them. You can switch to the mlas+srms if you are close enough, and fire them with no heat build up at all. It'll alpha once without overheating on most worlds.

I'm not a huge fan of the PPC's vs an AC/20, especially with how quickly range closes, but the 733P is no less a solid workhorse than any other Highlander in this game.

And in things I just found out: You can target and destroy buildings with blue outlines. I'd ignored them until recently, however destroying these building produces a bunch of inspiration. You can easily harvest them for called shots, especially if you have a LRM boat with multitarget; an LRM15 will usually knock a building out in one shot.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
So I don't really get the LRM love. SRMs do twice as much damage per ton, spread it less, and work at the ranges fights actually happen in. If you're indirect firing you're using two turns to do half damage to a guarding enemy at lower accuracy. That's not even getting into LRMs needing more ammo or dedicated LRM boats not being in the fight sharing their armor.

What am I missing?

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Jack2142 posted:

Things might be worse than the 80's, but at least the Mech art is better.

I mean, the 80's had Reagan with alzheimer's, and his wife was a loon who believed in seances and literal astrology, while everyone lived in constant fear of the Russians and nuclear attack. Plus you had Iran-Contra, the Keating Five and Jim Bakker.

Things really aren't worse now, at all. We just have Twitter and Facebook to make the stupid louder.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

So I don't really get the LRM love. SRMs do twice as much damage per ton, spread it less, and work at the ranges fights actually happen in. If you're indirect firing you're using two turns to do half damage to a guarding enemy at lower accuracy. That's not even getting into LRMs needing more ammo or dedicated LRM boats not being in the fight sharing their armor.

What am I missing?

Just range.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

What am I missing?

While you're shooting at them with LRM's, they're moving around trying to get to you and, this is important, not shooting back. Lines of sight and range are so manipulable that the range and line of sight advantages of LRM's dominate.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
So cowards that hate punching robots, got it, thanks.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

What am I missing?

Get the LRM++ with extra stability damage to shove over mechs and steal their lunch money.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I have a perfectly rational LRM hate from MW:O

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

What am I missing?

That's easy enough to answer

The real answer is: stability damage is really good and SRMs do less of it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I do like the stalker on the cover of Crescent Hawks Revenge.

Check out that loving box look at it! COLORFUL MECH RECOGNITION CHART! Look at that border! 3.5" AND 5.25" disks! and the artwork itself! A mech battle rendered in color pencil stippling holy gently caress

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Unzip and Attack posted:

Can the Dragon be redeemed in any way?

Put an AC20 on it and use it to poo poo on lights and mediums.

It also seems to have a high evasion cap.

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

What am I missing?

With upgrades there is almost no penalty to indirect fire.

So you can take a mech, strip off all the armor, put a stupid amount of LRMs tubes on it and hide it behind a rock.

Then get the ++(?) version with +stability 2 damage.

You're now knocking over an assault every turn it fires.

Xae fucked around with this message at 04:52 on May 3, 2018

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

Jack2142 posted:

I have a perfectly rational LRM hate from MW:O

Same. But also they're garbage.

PoptartsNinja posted:

That's easy enough to answer

The real answer is: stability damage is really good and SRMs do less of it.

SRMs do better stability damage per ton though.

Anyway here's a headshot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MOMie3g6QM&t=11s

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

What am I missing?

You can LRM things from across the map, without LOS, so long as there's a single spotter or a sensor lock on your target. And with Breaching Shot + Multishot guarding isn't even a problem. Someone who is guarding out of your LOS is someone you can put damage on without them hurting you, and if you distract them with a brawler as a target they won't even be guarding--either because they're busy shooting, or because they're getting melee'd out of their guard stance.

When indirect firing they have a slightly higher chance of natively hitting the head, as well as slamming side torsos, all of which are potential sources of pilot damage and, therefore, capture damage. Also, they do less damage while Stb+ variants are reasonably common, meaning you are less likely to kill a mech you're trying to capture.

SRMs are much more efficient for actually killing things when brawling but LRMs are arguably the best weapon in the game, and Stb.+ LRMs are absolutely so.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Note this is, like, the only Battletech-related game I consider IS LRMs worth using, at all. But with high enough Tactics skill they're capable brawling weapons, they have much more utility than any other weapon in the game, and they absolutely trivialize capturing a King Crab in a way SRMs don't.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Xarbala posted:

When indirect firing they have a slightly higher chance of natively hitting the head, as well as slamming side torsos, all of which are potential sources of pilot damage and, therefore, capture damage. Also, they do less damage while Stb+ variants are reasonably common, meaning you are less likely to kill a mech you're trying to capture.

SRMs are much more efficient for actually killing things when brawling but LRMs are arguably the best weapon in the game, and Stb.+ LRMs are absolutely so.

Related to this, but when you are doing a called shot on an enemy CT, wait to hit the fire button until the enemy mechs idle animation is facing you. It doesn't make a difference for ballistics, but it does for any LRM or SRM missiles. It shouldn't, but it does. If the idle animation is twisted off to the side, a bunch of the missiles will hit the arm and do damage there, instead of the CT.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

EoRaptor posted:

Related to this, but when you are doing a called shot on an enemy CT, wait to hit the fire button until the enemy mechs idle animation is facing you. It doesn't make a difference for ballistics, but it does for any LRM or SRM missiles. It shouldn't, but it does. If the idle animation is twisted off to the side, a bunch of the missiles will hit the arm and do damage there, instead of the CT.

How the gently caress did that happen?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

EoRaptor posted:

I'll be honest, I'm usually hoping those missiles don't hit the CT. Unless things have gone very, very wrong and something needs to die yesterday.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

What am I missing?

Range is the key. As you point out, in most ways SRM's are straight better. The thing about LRM's is I can put 60 of them on a Stalker and sit that fucker behind a mountain in my dropzone, never move him again, and have him do the most damage in the mission. You can boat LRM's in a way that you can't boat anything else because you can generally guarantee two things: A. Your LRM boat will always have a target in range and B. Your LRM boat will never get shot at. You don't need armor, you don't need jump jets, and you don't need backup weapons.

Add to that fact that while SRM's do more stability per ton, LRM's do more stability per hardpoint and that is a much more limiting factor than tonnage when missile boating. A LRM20 does 40 stability while a SRM6 does 18. A LRM20+++ does 80 stability damage while a SRM6+++ does 24. My 4x LRM15+++ Stalker can completely max out two assault mechs stability bars that are being piloted by endgame level pilots. That means I can guarantee two knockdowns a turn, easily, without putting my Stalker in any danger, as long as I have literally anything else that can do at least 1 point of stability damage per target.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
So i just started and in the first mission the camera is nonstop slowly panning around in a circle. Is this normal or do I need to start checkin out my keyboard and mouse for flaws? I literally bought them both today which is why im not sure.

Also if it is as intended how do I loving stop it before I vomit?

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Nasgate posted:

So i just started and in the first mission the camera is nonstop slowly panning around in a circle. Is this normal or do I need to start checkin out my keyboard and mouse for flaws? I literally bought them both today which is why im not sure.

Probably a problem with your keyboard/mouse. The game's camera is not supposed to do that.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

EoRaptor posted:

Are you sure this isn't just visual? There's a similar case where it is a purely visual bug. If you shoot a multitarget volley into a secondary target that is directly behind the first target, the missiles that are intended for the second target will all visually hit the first target. The damage numbers pop up on the first target and everything. However the actual damage and effects are applied to the second (intended) target.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Nasgate posted:

Any chance you have a controller or joystick plugged in? Thats been the cause of every camera issue Ive ever had in a game

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

ulmont posted:

So...the game worked before 1.0.1 and now it doesn't work at all. 0/10 would headshot Dekker again.

...followup: "have you tried rebooting?" (to be clear, rebooting worked)

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

LRM spam is boring though. I mean if you enjoy stomping the AI with it, cool, but I don't see the appeal.

Then again I'm the weirdo who gutted out the story, set up a free roam sandbox, started with a lovely lance of lights, prefers low tonnage battles, and keeps his mechs stock or near stock. :v:

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

SRMs do better stability damage per ton though.
lrm's offer more tactical flexibility. srm's are better only if your srm guy is in range of whoever it is you want to knock down. an lrm boat can do that for you from behind a hill, without compromising whatever positioning you've got going on. if conditions change next round, they're better suited to responding to those as well.

i find that i do best when i roll with 2-3 hole punchers (armed with some mix of ppc's and ac's) and then an lrm boat or two to exploit wounded enemies. a heavy lrm boat can carry 4 lrm15's; an assault can carry 4 lrm20's. that's a lot of damage to throw around wherever you want

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I finally got a heavy that actually might be an upgrade over the Shadowhawk, hows my outfitting look.

I like things that can jump at people and shoot them, and also do a single point of stab dmg. The thing came with a PPC equipped but wasn't using four hardpoints and I unno that seems dumb. Was kind of thinking to fully embrace the one point of stab and go with a srm2 and more heatsinks.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Galaga Galaxian posted:

LRM spam is boring though. I mean if you enjoy stomping the AI with it, cool, but I don't see the appeal.

Then again I'm the weirdo who gutted out the story, set up a free roam sandbox, started with a lovely lance of lights, prefers low tonnage battles, and keeps his mechs stock or near stock. :v:

Nothing boring about artillery and since the Long Tom and Arrow IV aren't available I will take what I can get

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

EoRaptor posted:

What the gently caress

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Sounds like bullshit to me. You fire enough missiles and yeah, some are gonna hit elsewhere besides the calledshot location.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

AttackBacon posted:

Are you sure this isn't just visual? There's a similar case where it is a purely visual bug. If you shoot a multitarget volley into a secondary target that is directly behind the first target, the missiles that are intended for the second target will all visually hit the first target. The damage numbers pop up on the first target and everything. However the actual damage and effects are applied to the second (intended) target.

I'm pretty sure it is totally concidence since I've seen hit locations and the visual "wow they just smashed my left arm" not line up at all but then I do called shots and hit exactly where I aimed but the visuals didn't line up 100%

like, without some actual sourcing that's some real citation needed territory

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Did someone post the roadmap?

quote:

4. Update #1: Customization & Player Options (June/July)
We're already beginning work on our first larger free Update to BATTLETECH. This Update is all about customization and reacting to common pieces of feedback that we've received from you on the game. Here's a list of items we're currently looking at for Update 1 this summer
--Accelerated Combat Options - We're working on options for players who would like to accelerate the pace of combat missions.
--MechWarrior Customization - We know that many players would like to change the appearance, callsign, name, and voice of all their MechWarriors, not just their Commander. This didn't make it in for launch but we'll be adding it in Update 1
--Granular difficulty settings - A set of discrete options for players to customize the challenge level of the game in different areas.
--MechLab / Store / Salvage Quality-of-Life Improvements - Interface additions to reduce friction when buying and salvaging new items.
--Tutorial-skip Option - Allowing players who have already played the prologue missions to skip those missions when starting a new campaign, and get right to the Leopard. 
--Addressing Difficulty Spikes - We'll be working on smoothing out some issues with unexpectedly hard (or easy) content. Not to remove all difficulty variance, but to address clear outliers.
--Live-streaming Quality-of-Life Improvements - Audio persisting when alt-tabbed, for example.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
I am beginning to wonder if my game is bugged or something. I had mentioned before that I thought the head hits were a little too common for my tastes, whatever. Booted up the game today and had all 6 of my pilots take head hits in two consecutive maps. I have 6 people in the medbay for 20 days and it's 100% from just random headshots - I refuse to believe they are occurring at 1-2%

Checked my campaign stats and my main character has participated in 17 battles and taken 12 head hits. What the actual gently caress.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

re: LRMs vs SRMs, hardpoint limitations also need to be taken into account, rather than tonnage, since LRM boats don't really care much about weight. Compared to an LRM20, an SRM6 does much less damage overall, and doesn't compare with stability damage. Even with tonnage taken into account, a brawler SRM boat needs to bring armor and extra weapons to catch up in damage, and SRMs are less heat efficient until you start getting the +4 damage a missile variety, so you really don't sacrifice much raw damage either until you start bringing out the rare SRMs. The real cost is that you don't have a mech to soak up hits, but you gain targeting flexibility and knockdowns on command.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Unzip and Attack posted:

I am beginning to wonder if my game is bugged or something. I had mentioned before that I thought the head hits were a little too common for my tastes, whatever. Booted up the game today and had all 6 of my pilots take head hits in two consecutive maps. I have 6 people in the medbay for 20 days and it's 100% from just random headshots - I refuse to believe they are occurring at 1-2%

Checked my campaign stats and my main character has participated in 17 battles and taken 12 head hits. What the actual gently caress.

Someone said earlier that they found a setting in the files where if you were above your target, your chances to hit head are 16%.