Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Tony Gonzalez:

Antonio Gates:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

a neat cape posted:

Do you actually think he isn't?

Have there been any 1st ballot tight ends?

If Tony G doesnt get 1st ballot then theres no way Gates will

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Grittybeard posted:

I was slightly annoyed that the Dallas tweets were talking about how no tight end had been a first ballot hall of famer then talking about how Witten should be the first the year before Tony Gonzalez was eligible, so I'm not going to hate on you at the moment.

Tony G will be, and Gates will be as well. As they should be

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

CyberPingu posted:

Have there been any 1st ballot tight ends?

If Tony G doesnt get 1st ballot then theres no way Gates will

Not yet, but Tony isn't eligible yet

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
I miss Tony Gonzalez :(

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

It really isn't. All the "bad" blocking TE's can still hit block a guy on a running play most of the time, they just don't win or hit next level blocks.

For example, here's some blocks by an old, bad at blocking TE on running plays:

http://www.chargers.com/video/2016/11/11/melvin-gordon-evaluates-antonio-gates-blocking

Is Gronk or a great blocking TE like Daniel Graham giving you that much more on these plays as to be worth that much?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Huh, I didnt realise that Gates had overtaken Tony G on a lot of stats...

I think this is more of a its super hard to be a 1st ballot, especially for a TE.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Blocking TE no longer meaningfully exist

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

It's also just loving weird to see a 37 year old TE lumbering around out there and yet both Gates and Gonzo managed it.

Like, look at how old and creeky Witten's been the last couple of years and he was 35 last year.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I do think all three are no doubt hall of famers even if they don't get in first ballot because of the backlog. Which is pretty cool, we've seen some good tight ends in the last decade or two.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

CyberPingu posted:

Huh, I didnt realise that Gates had overtaken Tony G on a lot of stats...

I think this is more of a its super hard to be a 1st ballot, especially for a TE.

I honestly feel it would be harder as an offensive lineman to make it in on the first ballot, usually because they're largely "invisible", in that they're usually mentioned in negative context if their names do come up regularly (at least in my experience). I mean, Joe Thomas is one of the exceptions, among others.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
45 new posts?? Did a trade go down????

Oh...we're just arguing about TEs.

iospace posted:

Tony Gonzalez:

Antonio Gates:

Lmaoooooooooo

Speaking of TEs...did you guys hear the news?

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/992012099571380224

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Chiefs just traded for one like two days ago and the fans rejoiced

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

They do, they're just guys like Michael Hoomanawanui who catch 10 passes a year so nobody knows who they are unless they have a funny name

hehe, Jake Butt.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

iospace posted:

I honestly feel it would be harder as an offensive lineman to make it in on the first ballot, usually because they're largely "invisible", in that they're usually mentioned in negative context if their names do come up regularly (at least in my experience). I mean, Joe Thomas is one of the exceptions, among others.

Left tackles usually get their shine, but lol if you're a right tackle or interior lineman

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Kalli posted:

It really isn't. All the "bad" blocking TE's can still hit block a guy on a running play most of the time, they just don't win or hit next level blocks.

You cited the example of Brown throwing a fade, which is something he will be called on to do, like every other season. TE's are supposed to block routinely every game even if they're not great at it. So your comparison was very poor.

quote:

Is Gronk or a great blocking TE like Daniel Graham giving you that much more on these plays as to be worth that much?

Emphatically yes. When that TE is capable of blocking as well as a 6th lineman, the offense gains an immense tactical advantage at not tipping it's hand. And that's not even considering how much of a difference in the effectiveness of a play a great downfield blocking TE can make.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Also I just wanted an excise earlier to say Brandon Manumaleanu

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

I know. Witten retired.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Kalli posted:

For example, here's some blocks by an old, bad at blocking TE on running plays:

http://www.chargers.com/video/2016/11/11/melvin-gordon-evaluates-antonio-gates-blocking

For Kalli and Ross:

"Ertz has spoken for years about trying to become a complete tight end. We know he can run and catch, but so far this year, he's shown how far he's come as a blocker.

It was Ertz who sprung LeGarrette Blount on his record-setting 68-yard run that set up a critical fourth-quarter touchdown in the Eagles' 26-24 win over the Chargers Sunday."

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

That was actually just the Chargers having a real bad defense

incompetent
Jun 4, 2013

gates won't be a 1st ballot because nobody gives a poo poo about the chargers

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Honestly I'm upset that Michael Hoomanawanui and Brandon Manumaleuna weren't on the Rams roster at the same time

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

You cited the example of Brown throwing a fade, which is something he will be called on to do, like every other season. TE's are supposed to block routinely every game even if they're not great at it. So your comparison was very poor.

Emphatically yes. When that TE is capable of blocking as well as a 6th lineman, the offense gains an immense tactical advantage at not tipping it's hand. And that's not even considering how much of a difference in the effectiveness of a play a great downfield blocking TE can make.

I said receiving a fade, and you can sub in any other pass type which requires a tall receiver getting up in a tight window to catch a pass you wouldn't throw to a 5'10 guy.

Yes Gronk is a great, game dominating weapon like Antonio Brown, but if he was a worse blocker, little would change. Hell, the Patriots have run the ball more effectively when Gronk has been out then when healthy*. Downfield blocking is also a minimal part of the game that any player not Deion Sanders level of cowardly can do (like look at how often Amendola or Edelman have just slowed a guy down for the needed half second).

* slightly cheating, because they run for a higher YPA because defenses don't expect the run, and the Pats probably spend a lot more time running out the clock when Gronk has been healthy.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

For Kalli and Ross:

"Ertz has spoken for years about trying to become a complete tight end. We know he can run and catch, but so far this year, he's shown how far he's come as a blocker.

It was Ertz who sprung LeGarrette Blount on his record-setting 68-yard run that set up a critical fourth-quarter touchdown in the Eagles' 26-24 win over the Chargers Sunday."

That kind of speaks to my point though. Ertz, a bad blocker, but good receiver worked on his game a little bit and added a small amount of value. Hooray, a nice bonus, not an intrinsically important part of his game. If Ertz suddenly morphed into young Jimmy Graham you'd still take that over Ertz in a millisecond.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

incompetent posted:

gates won't be a 1st ballot because nobody gives a poo poo about the chargers

Yeah Tomlinson was a 1st ballot guy because of his time with the jets

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

I miss when Kleinsasser would catch a pass like twice a season.

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

nerve posted:

1. Gonzo
2. Witten
3. Gates
4. Gronk
5. Ed West

fixed

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Kalli posted:

I said receiving a fade, and you can sub in any other pass type which requires a tall receiver getting up in a tight window to catch a pass you wouldn't throw to a 5'10 guy.

Yes Gronk is a great, game dominating weapon like Antonio Brown, but if he was a worse blocker, little would change. Hell, the Patriots have run the ball more effectively when Gronk has been out then when healthy*. Downfield blocking is also a minimal part of the game that any player not Deion Sanders level of cowardly can do (like look at how often Amendola or Edelman have just slowed a guy down for the needed half second).

* slightly cheating, because they run for a higher YPA because defenses don't expect the run, and the Pats probably spend a lot more time running out the clock when Gronk has been healthy.

That kind of speaks to my point though. Ertz, a bad blocker, but good receiver worked on his game a little bit and added a small amount of value. Hooray, a nice bonus, not an intrinsically important part of his game. If Ertz suddenly morphed into young Jimmy Graham you'd still take that over Ertz in a millisecond.

Ertz is a good blocker now

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

a neat cape posted:

Yeah Tomlinson was a 1st ballot guy because of his time with the jets

Additionally, Brees will be a 1st ballot guy strictly from his time with San Diego imho

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I will never forget longtime Hall of Fame Patriot Reggie Wayne.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

weird Asian candy posted:

Additionally, Brees will be a 1st ballot guy strictly from his time with San Diego imho

His time in San Diego should disqualify him from the hall of fame because of getting benched for a literal dwarf in 2003

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Phins just drafted one

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
i don’t think Gates has enjoyed nearly the same reputation throughout his career like Gonzo did to consider him a definite first ballot Hall of Famer. His peak was almost 15 years ago and hasn’t made a Pro Bowl since 2011.

coincidentally that was the same year Shannon Sharpe was inducted into the HOF, 8 years after he retired. And he’s the only TE in the hall who started his career after 1979. So there’s already an uphill battle.

We are in some new terrority when it comes to elite TEs, so more of them will get consideration than in the past, but, like, the chances of Gates going in on his first ballot is unlikely.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I routinely forget that Antonio Gates exists.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

WHOOPS posted:

i don’t think Gates has enjoyed nearly the same reputation throughout his career like Gonzo did to consider him a definite first ballot Hall of Famer. His peak was almost 15 years ago and hasn’t made a Pro Bowl since 2011.

coincidentally that was the same year Shannon Sharpe was inducted into the HOF, 8 years after he retired. And he’s the only TE in the hall who started his career after 1979. So there’s already an uphill battle.

We are in some new terrority when it comes to elite TEs, so more of them will get consideration than in the past, but, like, the chances of Gates going in on his first ballot is unlikely.

Counterpoint...DID YOU KNOW ANTONIO GATES PLAYED BASKETBALL?!

a neat cape posted:

His time in San Diego should disqualify him from the hall of fame because of getting benched for a literal dwarf in 2003

I'm good with this.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I think, like safeties in the mid-late 2000's, we just finally hit an era where a bunch of great TE's all were playing at once.

Polamalu / Reed / Earl Thomas will all be hof'ers despite the HoF not inducting any for a long stretch beforehand, and Gronk / Gonzo / Gates / Witten will be HoF'ers as well.

Some may wait some years, but that's because of backlogs and the voters huffing ether in some cases.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Eifert Posting posted:

I routinely forget that Antonio Gates exists.

Did you know he played basketball in college?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Tight ends who can do both are useful because it keeps defenses guessing about what type of play might be called. It also allows them to get more snaps and thus more yards, and makes it easier to set a faster pace on offense.

The position is changing for sure, but putting no value in a tight end being able to block is just silly. Teams still use and value them so I'm not sure why anyone would think they're useless. You can be a great tight end without blocking but if you can block as well that makes you even better and even more valuable to your team. This is all pretty obvious I think

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Remember when the Broncos hired the Chargers TE coach and started signing former basketball players in a desperate bid to get the next Antonio Gates?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Kalli posted:

yes
especially now that there are roughly two linemen per team that can actually block

what I'm saying is, move gronk to tackle where he can be an all pro then run a ton of tackle eligible formations

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 17:50 on May 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Hack survives another day.
https://twitter.com/MMehtaNYDN/status/992082400489426945

• Locked thread