Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiger Crazy
Sep 25, 2006

If you couldn't find any weirdness, maybe we'll just have to make some!
I have a Jenner that Dekker died in on the first story mission. I have since renamed it deathtrap and all rookies must spend one mission inside of it. Luckily no one else has died. Also I found my favorite pilot name is sneezy.

Does anyone else use the laser hunchback and add some jumpjets to toast those light mech swarms?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
Anyone made a maxed out flamer or small laser firestarter yet? I wanna know how it goes.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Tiger Crazy posted:

I have a Jenner that Dekker died in on the first story mission. I have since renamed it deathtrap and all rookies must spend one mission inside of it. Luckily no one else has died. Also I found my favorite pilot name is sneezy.

Does anyone else use the laser hunchback and add some jumpjets to toast those light mech swarms?

I use an all MG Firestarter to backstab them.

Dekker pilots it. He's very good at what he does.

I had some kickstarter pilot where the fluff mentions ~*~his wife and kids~*~ being part of the hire so I put him in a Jenner with zero skills on a 3 skull mission.

He wound up headshotting a Dragon.

He's part of B-team now :hmmyes:

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Anyone made a maxed out flamer or small laser firestarter yet? I wanna know how it goes.

Max small laser firestarter is an excellent butt shooting robot who can core out any mech in the game from behind then jump out again if you have enough moral for precision shots and an Ace Pilot mechwarrior.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Sky Shadowing posted:

The SLDF imploded on itself because when a subpar political leader leads a bunch of soldiers on a fools quest into the unknown to a group of worlds that are terrible, taking away their guns and telling them they're civilians now, and the people then divide back into the national identities they were supposed to set aside... well when poo poo starts going south things get tense, especially when your only response is to impose martial law and brutal punishments.

Don't underestimate how brutal the Exodus Civil War was. Given their lack of existing infrastructure they literally inflicted irreparable Succession War level atrocities on each other that could not be rebuilt.

Then Nicholas Kerensky comes riding in from Strana Mechty and defeats all the warlords that had risen and imposes a new order and the people happily accept it because it really was better than what they had been through.

Just found out that Nicholas Kerensky ordered the destruction of Clan Wolverine down to the last child because they dared to question his vision of a perfect society by allowing people to switch to the Labourer caste. Not a big fan of social mobility, that boy.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Wait morale is permanent? Dang my base pay is 400k a month now too late now

alchahest
Dec 28, 2004
Universal Solvent
I noticed something last night but I forgot to ask about it:

If you select multishot and designate a, b, c but only end up firing at A, it appears that you still turn to face b and c, and still knock down an evasion chevron, even if you aren't shooting them.

Anyone able to confirm this while I'm at work?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Where do you all put your ammo stores? I was arming a Centurion last night and thought to put one of the ammo stores on an arm or at least away from the torso, but now I am thinking I should have it behind some significant armor even with the risk of it exploding.

Also, if I stop a repair/refit, will it keep the progress up to that point? I'd try it myself, but I am at work.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Overall, I quite liked the campaign, though the late missions are too easy. 'Oh no, they have a Banshee and a Battlemaster! That's nothing like the entire lance of 2 Stalkers, a Highlander, and a Banshee (okay mulligan on that fourth one) I just fought in a random! After already fighting an Awesome and 3 heavy tanks!'

Angry as gently caress space texan was fun.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Unlucky7 posted:

Where do you all put your ammo stores? I was arming a Centurion last night and thought to put one of the ammo stores on an arm or at least away from the torso, but now I am thinking I should have it behind some significant armor even with the risk of it exploding.

I put ammo on the side torso, same side as the weapon. Armour it up. Since the gun becomes useless when either the ammo or gun is destroyed, you ideally want that to happen at the same time. Load up as much extra junk (heat sinks, jump jets, etc.) on the ammo location as well, to eat some of those crit shots.

I find arms too fragile. Maybe legs would work though.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

This Mechwarrior knows what is up. I just got a second Dragon and want to try running them both as brawlers.

Double Dragons lance, Billy and Jimmy.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 18:37 on May 3, 2018

Caros
May 14, 2008

Unlucky7 posted:

Also, if I stop a repair/refit, will it keep the progress up to that point? I'd try it myself, but I am at work.

Generally the arms whenever I can get away with it. Try to put it in an empty location. Failing that, try to stack it with the weapon it comes from, unless the weapon is hard to replace. Try to never stack your ammo with other ammo since it can leave you defenseless in a hurry if it all goes.

Leg ammo knocks you over and cripples you if it blows. Side Torso ammo loses you the arm anyways, and it opens you up for more CT damage since shots to that side now bleed to center. CT Torso ammo is retarded, as evidenced by the pirate jagermech who blew up after a single shot from an AC 5. Head ammo is an ejection seat gone wrong.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Caros posted:

Head ammo is an ejection seat gone wrong.

I do not know a lot about battletech and was wondering why a head hit results in pilot injury. I thought that the cockpit was in the CT, and the head is just a bunch of glorified cameras, but then that is what Gundam and anime taught me.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Alchenar posted:

Everything relating to the Argo feels rushed and there because 'upgradeable homebase' and 'company managment' were things that were promised in the kickstarter campaign and not because they have a critical part in the game design.

It's not bad, it's just very irrelevant.

Likewise I'll be bold and say the problem with lights is nothing to do with any fundamental element of game design and everything to do with the fact that battle difficulty is being managed by ramping up the number of enemies (who all spawn too close so you have to fight them all at once).

Evasion works perfectly when you only have to worry about 4 mechs. It's only when you get to 5 or 6 enemies possibly shooting at you that your fast light will find all its evasion pips knocked away and get cored out.

If you only ever had to fight 'pods' of a lance (occasionally with a turret or vehicle reinforcement) then lights would be competitive through to endgame.

I mean, even if we're fighting smaller enemy counts such that a light mech would be at less risk of losing its evasion to tank spam, that's still not actually a reason to bring one over something that carries more guns and is at less risk of dying to a single lucky hit / melee attack, especially given that anything with 4-5 jump jets can also max out their evasion.

Solving the more tons = better than issue has been a white wale for the franchise for a longass time and honestly I'd be happier of the developers would just handwave a tonnage limit rather than trying to be the ones to finally crack the code.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Unlucky7 posted:

I do not know a lot about battletech and was wondering why a head hit results in pilot injury. I thought that the cockpit was in the CT, and the head is just a bunch of glorified cameras, but then that is what Gundam and anime taught me.

The head is basically an armoured canopy. It is the cockpit.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Grave Robbing didn't seem like that bad of a mission to me. Popping the tanks gives massive morale, so it just takes good use of Vigilance on your main targeted character. I've been faffing about the place, though (not deliberately lingering, but not rushing the story if I've got good contracts on the way), so I can see it being frustrating for people who can't focus down a tank or turret as easily.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

The head is basically an armoured canopy. It is the cockpit.

Gundam lied to me :saddowns:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Bruceski posted:

Grave Robbing didn't seem like that bad of a mission to me. Popping the tanks gives massive morale, so it just takes good use of Vigilance on your main targeted character. I've been faffing about the place, though (not deliberately lingering, but not rushing the story if I've got good contracts on the way), so I can see it being frustrating for people who can't focus down a tank or turret as easily.

Its not that bad unless you're playing it like a normal mission. I had my LRM boat hanging back and it got popped by rear end in a top hat reinforcement drones that spawn behind you so I had to pretty carefully manage the rest with the two good mechs and lovely Kintaro you're saddled with.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Unlucky7 posted:

Gundam lied to me :saddowns:

Mobile Suits don't have ejection systems so the cockpit is in the most protected area, the chest.

Battlemechs love ejection systems so much that they even have ejection heads where the whole head just pops off.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's funny how autocannons are merely okay until you get to the AC20, then 'can have 2 of these' is enough to sell an entire mech.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Titanfall did ejection mechs properly.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Really battletech should just forego any of its TT roots and crib everything from Titanfall moving forward.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Zigmidge posted:

Titanfall did ejection mechs properly.

Nuclear Eject was the poo poo.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Unlucky7 posted:

The Cockpit can be in the CT, but that is actually a separate I think experimental rules technology.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Zigmidge posted:

Really battletech should just forego any of its TT roots and crib everything from Titanfall moving forward.

I’m extremely onboard with this.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

tactlessbastard posted:

every single other available mission is also a three star and three stars have been kicking my rear end and there's no where else for me to go take easier missions and grind out some better equipment.

Have you tried Detroit? You may have to pay to go there through the navigation screen, but that area (back to the starting 3-4 systems) will consistently have the easiest missions around.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Is there a way to tell what someone's total XP is? Trying to figure out if those Battletech Pods are worth it.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Zigmidge posted:

Heck,

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

ulmont posted:

Have you tried Detroit? You may have to pay to go there through the navigation screen, but that area (back to the starting 3-4 systems) will consistently have the easiest missions around.

Yep, every single mission available that I can travel to is a 3.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Mordja posted:

Is there a way to tell what someone's total XP is? Trying to figure out if those Battletech Pods are worth it.

You can work back on the geometric stat costs. Getting level 5 is 3000 total, level 8 is 14000 total.

I'd say they're completely worth it if you've decided on having a B- and C-team for injuries/skill experimentation.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Night10194 posted:

It's funny how autocannons are merely okay until you get to the AC20, then 'can have 2 of these' is enough to sell an entire mech.

Two AC/5+'s will give you the damage output of an AC20 at double the range, better heat, and better ammo economy for 2 tons more in weight. Shave off the extra ton or so of AC20 ammo you are lugging around and it's only 1 ton more.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Sarsapariller posted:

Two AC/5+'s will give you the damage output of an AC20 at double the range, better heat, and better ammo economy for 2 tons more in weight. Shave off the extra ton or so of AC20 ammo you are lugging around and it's only 1 ton more.

By the time you're waiving around double 20's, you probably have a couple of 20++'s.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

The range and efficiency of AC5s still makes them viable even compared to the 120 damage monsters though.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

By the time you're waiving around double 20's, you probably have a couple of 20++'s.

And the skills/morale necessary to pull off Called CT shots to core stuff out left and right.

I did have great success with the starting Blackjack and twin AC/5's but it wasn't until later that I had the skills to really take it to another level.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I specced a Wolverine for an AC20 just because I could. It's probably bad though.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Any excuse to get an AC/20 on the field is good.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

So, I'm about to do Smithon or whatever that one really hard story mission is. The one after Panzyr. Are there any optimal Mech builds I need for this? My heaviest hitters are my punch-Dragon and stock Orion K, for reference.

A Renaissance Nerd
Mar 29, 2010
I put double AC10s on my Jaegermech. Get that mixed main battery poo poo out of here.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

VolticSurge posted:

So, I'm about to do Smithon or whatever that one really hard story mission is. The one after Panzyr. Are there any optimal Mech builds I need for this? My heaviest hitters are my punch-Dragon and stock Orion K, for reference.

I dont recommend the punch dragon for this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I wish they had more urban maps and infantry squads.

Looking forward to a battle armor expansion though.