Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER

EmmyOk posted:

Don't you think that would cause resentment between your sons and daughters? Also the wine coolers thing sounds p weird to me
The wine coolers are just an example of a liberal trusting attitude that works much better for girls than for boys. Daddy pays for their alcohol but he doesn`t go to the parties as that would be unhelpful to their social and emotional development.
Resentment, maybe? But perhaps the daugthers would also envy the extra attention lavished on the sons. When everyone feels like that they have something that someone else in the family wished they had, i think everyone would become at ease with their place within it.
Anyways daughters have always hated their mothers and sons have always wanted to kill their fathers, so in that respect the system i imagine would not change anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Baudolino posted:

The wine coolers are just an example of a liberal trusting attitude that works much better for girls than for boys. Daddy pays for their alcohol but he doesn`t go to the parties as that would be unhelpful to their social and emotional development.
Resentment, maybe? But perhaps the daugthers would also envy the extra attention lavished on the sons. When everyone feels like that they have something that someone else in the family wished they had, i think everyone would become at ease with their place within it.
Anyways daughters have always hated their mothers and sons have always wanted to kill their fathers, so in that respect the system i imagine would not change anything.

Get a vascectomy.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Try going to a dry wedding (except for 1 glass of champagne) with 100% vegan food at the wedding reception and say that. Fortunately the best man smuggled in some wild turkey for the groomsmen but I couldn't help but feel bad for everyone else looking incredibly bored+hungry while my now-sister-in-law went around and kept trying to bait people into complaining about the food.

If one of my friends or family threw a dry wedding I would sever

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I went to a dry wedding that the reception was held in a room upstairs in the church. Also no dancing was allowed

also it was "catered" by chik-fil-a because the bride worked there

by catered I mean that there was one tray of nuggets for like 100+ people

I still get flashbacks

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Try going to a dry wedding (except for 1 glass of champagne) with 100% vegan food at the wedding reception and say that. Fortunately the best man smuggled in some wild turkey for the groomsmen but I couldn't help but feel bad for everyone else looking incredibly bored+hungry while my now-sister-in-law went around and kept trying to bait people into complaining about the food.

One of my trivia teammembers went to her cousin's dry wedding. Held in the afternoon, and registered at Wal-Mart (she wasn't kidding).

Not even champagne. When it came time to toast, they brought out literal bottles of Welch's grape juice to pour into champagne glasses. Not even sparkling grape juice.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

mojo1701a posted:

One of my trivia teammembers went to her cousin's dry wedding. Held in the afternoon, and registered at Wal-Mart (she wasn't kidding).

Not even champagne. When it came time to toast, they brought out literal bottles of Welch's grape juice to pour into champagne glasses. Not even sparkling grape juice.

I was about to ask if it was at least the sparkling stuff. That's what my parents/grandparents always break out on holidays. But not even sparkling? That's just shameful.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I once went to a dry wedding at a winery. Explain that one to me!

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

fruit on the bottom posted:

I once went to a dry wedding at a winery. Explain that one to me!

You're friends hate you

Don't know why you didn't :sever:

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
I'm apparently the last person to see Black Panther, but I finally saw it and thought it was pretty bad. Looking at the overwhelming positive response this movie has gotten, I'm kind of surprised at this. There were so many scenes that dragged on that could have been handled differently or in a shorter timeframe, the CGI was bad (especially in that Korean club scene), and Killmonger's motivations seemed pretty hackneyed and underdeveloped. I don't particularly care for Marvel, but I was under the impression this would be one of the better movies.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm glad I don't have boring friends or family because a dry wedding sounds as much fun as a dry wedding night.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

Baudolino posted:

Resentment, maybe? But perhaps the daugthers would also envy the extra attention lavished on the sons.

boys: inherently bad, deserve beatings
girls: inherently good, deserve wine coolers

Yup, nothing hosed up about that at all.

quote:

...I don't think you come from a normal family.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Kitchen jobs in fact are not babby jobs for teens and morons. They are strenuous, at bad hours, in dangerous environments, and take skill to be good at. If you replaced burgers and fries with steel widgets people would be singing the praises of the noble McStaff even if the process was identical to running a McKitchenStation for a shift.

And “flip burgers” and “take orders” are not loving stations. You will do a shitload during a shift, including making decisions that seriously effect the place. After a week it may be your sole duty to gauge how many 1/4lbers the next hour of drive thru will need or whatever. Among x many different items that need to be cooking before the order but not too long. All you, kid. And you’ll take the fall if you screw it.

“My burger was cold and they didn’t hold the onion, idiots”

Yeah, because you paid two bucks on a 1.50 food cost sandwich. Enjoy way more than the labour you paid for.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 02:32 on May 4, 2018

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Kitchen jobs in fact are not babby jobs for teens and morons. They are strenuous, at bad hours, in dangerous environments, and take skill to be good at. If you replaced burgers and fries with steel widgets people would be singing the praises of the noble McStaff even if the process was identical to running a McKitchenStation for a shift.

And “flip burgers” and “take orders” are not loving stations. You will do a shitload during a shift, including making decisions that seriously effect the place. After a week it may be your sole duty to gauge how many 1/4lbers the next hour of drive thru will need or whatever. Among x many different items that need to be cooking before the order but not too long. All you, kid. And you’ll take the fall if you screw it.

“My burger was cold and they didn’t hold the onion, idiots”

Yeah, because you paid two bucks on a 1.50 food cost sandwich. Enjoy way more than the labour you paid for.

Those jobs will go away soon enough. Don't worry.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Solice Kirsk posted:

Those jobs will go away soon enough. Don't worry.

They won’t, though

Lol when dickheads act like the 14th variation of “order with the touchscreen” shows up like this time the whiners will get it and lose their precious jobs.

Touchscreens and robots have been doing restaurant jobs for twenty years. The person who takes your order punches it into a touchscreen exactly like the one that has been “taking their job” since the 90s except more complicated and sans GUI, and they’ll still be there.

Don’t get me started on kitchens.

And I’m not just talking fast food here. Good sit down restaurants are worse and even less likely to Get Automated Like You Deserve You Whiner

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Everyone will be either dung farming cave mushrooms for subsistence or hang somewhere along the food chain of an industrial human ranch. Most will do these things out of terrifying necessity, but I've got a head start as an amateur and a hobbyist.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Tailored Sauce posted:

I'm apparently the last person to see Black Panther, but I finally saw it and thought it was pretty bad. Looking at the overwhelming positive response this movie has gotten, I'm kind of surprised at this. There were so many scenes that dragged on that could have been handled differently or in a shorter timeframe, the CGI was bad (especially in that Korean club scene), and Killmonger's motivations seemed pretty hackneyed and underdeveloped. I don't particularly care for Marvel, but I was under the impression this would be one of the better movies.

I liked it but the pacing was very weird and the climax being an African civil war is uhhh not a good look

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

His character development is all done in like 2 minutes of exposition from Bilbo and Shuri. All I heard was "JSOC, MIT, blah blah" and then there was nothing after that. That's his entire character.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

aardwolf posted:

boys: inherently bad, deserve beatings
girls: inherently good, deserve wine coolers

Yup, nothing hosed up about that at all.

Feminism.txt

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

When your software or OS updates and poo poo changes you just loving learn how to use the new thing.

You're making poo poo harder on yourself by constantly loving with the settings to make it look like the old thing, or installing "Classic Start Menu" &c or, and this is the worst, just never updating your poo poo. I luckily got my friend who never updated from Firefox 4 or some poo poo because they didn't like the way the address bar looked to get out of that habit, but god drat. You're gonna have to catch up eventually and then it'll be even more jarring because you've insisted your computer must look and act like Windows 95 for your whole life! Just adapt to change!!

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

The change sucks though. Windows 10 works but I can't say it was an improvement over windows 8 or 7. I don't want my computer to look more and more like a phone and don't give a poo poo about laptops having touchscreens. Why would you want your computer to have a touchscreen? I hate it when people touch my screen as it is and get their greasy fingerprints on it, I'm not about to fingerprint it up myself.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The computer is there to serve me. I am not here to serve it.

(That being said, I can't usually be bothered to reconfigure things too much unless a change really annoys me).

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

windows 10 just looks like regular windows to me

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

hawowanlawow posted:

windows 10 just looks like regular windows to me

It's just not real windows if bonzi buddy doesn't run properly on it imho.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Killingyouguy! posted:

When your software or OS updates and poo poo changes you just loving learn how to use the new thing.

You're making poo poo harder on yourself by constantly loving with the settings to make it look like the old thing, or installing "Classic Start Menu" &c or, and this is the worst, just never updating your poo poo. I luckily got my friend who never updated from Firefox 4 or some poo poo because they didn't like the way the address bar looked to get out of that habit, but god drat. You're gonna have to catch up eventually and then it'll be even more jarring because you've insisted your computer must look and act like Windows 95 for your whole life! Just adapt to change!!

This but anytime a website changes its layout. Whenever facebook updates I get a week of angry emojis and "change it back!" petitions on my feed, after which no one cares because they get used to the new design.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Overall unpopular opinion about the issue: it's fine to acknowledge some change is bad. Aggressive rejection of anything and everything traditional is one of the things that annoys me the most about people my age. Change isn't always good and it's not only OK but important to point out when the changes make things worse, whether it's in computers or politics or whatever.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Why would you want your computer to have a touchscreen? I hate it when people touch my screen as it is and get their greasy fingerprints on it, I'm not about to fingerprint it up myself.

I got a Surface mostly for its drawing capabilities but there are a bunch of little things that I've come to enjoy about the touchscreen, such as scrolling through websites or hitting buttons quickly. I wouldn't want it just for that but it is a nice bonus.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Killingyouguy! posted:

Classic Shell does a lot more than "make windows 8 look like windows 7" but the win8 start menu wasn't just "it's new I hate it" it was actually bad.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Killingyouguy! posted:

You're making poo poo harder on yourself by constantly loving with the settings to make it look like the old thing, or installing "Classic Start Menu" &c
I used to spend a lot of time customising my operating systems to make everything look and work exactly how I wanted it to, but I've come to realise that it's more hassle than it's worth - especially if you ever need to use someone else's computer, because it's probably going to be mostly on the default settings and it's useful to know how to use it that way. Standardisation is generally a good thing, even if the standards aren't exactly what you would have chosen for yourself.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

The change sucks though. Windows 10 works but I can't say it was an improvement over windows 8 or 7. I don't want my computer to look more and more like a phone and don't give a poo poo about laptops having touchscreens. Why would you want your computer to have a touchscreen? I hate it when people touch my screen as it is and get their greasy fingerprints on it, I'm not about to fingerprint it up myself.

Yeah Microsoft deciding that everything should be unified so everything is now a phone was loving stupid. A PC with a mouse and a keyboard should not try to emulate a phone with a touch screen. They are different things.

For better or for worse the start menu works. It's handy as hell. Then again the other side of that is it took Microsoft quite a long time to kill Clippy. A hell of a lot of people got really upset when that little aluminum poo poo went away for...some reason. I have no idea.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I mostly skipped Windows 8 (aside from the loaner laptop I was using at work when I was between computers there) and going from Windows 7 to 10 didn't feel like a huge change, but trying to use Windows 8, even now, feels like I've wandered into a funhouse mirror dimension.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Suffering is not good for you. However, some amount of physical pain can make you focus more and give you perspective. I had a really painful foot issue (that hopefully is resolved now and getting better) and both worked and worked out through it, though at reduced intensity. Was a good reminder of how simple things we take for granted are not guaranteed to always be there. I was ennobled by the pain.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I think we can all agree social media sucks, but I'm going to take it a step further: social media is the worst invention of the 21st century and it isn't even close.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

get that OUT of my face posted:

I think we can all agree social media sucks, but I'm going to take it a step further: social media is the worst invention of the 21st century and it isn't even close.

Social media is bad I agree, but I think the root problem is being able to constantly access it. If smartphones and/or cheap highspeed internet everywhere didn't exist and we were still using flipphones and had to wait until we got home to connect to dialup internet to update our livejournals I think society would be better off.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Social media is bad I agree, but I think the root problem is being able to constantly access it. If smartphones and/or cheap highspeed internet everywhere didn't exist and we were still using flipphones and had to wait until we got home to connect to dialup internet to update our livejournals I think society would be better off.

I completely agree! and not just because I still have a sick early adopter lj account. I feel like the comparatively infrequent access that went hand in hand with the earlier incarnations of social media at least allowed for an environment where people were as likely to share their actual thoughts as they were stupid quizzes or whatever.

I rarely feel legitimately updated by anyone’s updates anymore.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Overall unpopular opinion about the issue: it's fine to acknowledge some change is bad. Aggressive rejection of anything and everything traditional is one of the things that annoys me the most about people my age. Change isn't always good and it's not only OK but important to point out when the changes make things worse, whether it's in computers or politics or whatever.

on the other hand, the rate of change is so fast nowadays that the rejection of tradition is an understandable and healthy reaction to needing to be more flexible in an ever-evolving world. there's a reason our parents are flipping a poo poo at all these changes, their systems and traditions don't have anything to cope with progress moving this fast.

when tradition fails us, we try to compensate ourselves, and so yeah it doesn't always work out.

it's good to be honest that all change isn't good, but changing, trying, and failing - that's part of trying new poo poo. some are hits, some misses. your post is making it sound like you're young so: try not to become a curmudgeon just yet, you've got too much loving up ahead of you to be this worried about it

StrangersInTheNight has a new favorite as of 11:09 on May 6, 2018

doverhog
May 31, 2013

yeah, eating rear end used to be frowned upon for example.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

doverhog posted:

yeah, eating rear end used to be frowned upon for example.

as it should be. I am doomed for all eternity to eat rear end after I opened up that cursed mummy tomb, I don't do it by choice.

anyway change is inevitable but there should be a balance. The georgia guidestones say it best where all things need to be ruled with "tempered reason". If a tradition is good, keep it. If it's bad, get rid of it. Don't just get rid of it for the sole reason that you associate it with your parents/old people.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I kind of like the Resident Evil novels, even the original story ones. Once you ignore how SD Perry verbally tosses Rebecca's salad in every other sentence, they're still not good, but they'll kill the time if you need to.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

as it should be. I am doomed for all eternity to eat rear end after I opened up that cursed mummy tomb, I don't do it by choice.

I hope you have at least done it a few times by now. Just to live up to your persona you know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

doverhog posted:

I hope you have at least done it a few times by now. Just to live up to your persona you know.

i know i cant