Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Control Volume posted:

I dont recommend the punch dragon for this one.

Good to know. Taking the Orion at least for a bit of a punch. Now I gotta find a fast light/medium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

tactlessbastard posted:

Yep, every single mission available that I can travel to is a 3.

The starting planets should always have easier contracts, despite the star rating.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

VolticSurge posted:

So, I'm about to do Smithon or whatever that one really hard story mission is. The one after Panzyr. Are there any optimal Mech builds I need for this? My heaviest hitters are my punch-Dragon and stock Orion K, for reference.

Is that the one fighting over the ammo dump? I had to restart that one about six times before I finally pulled it off by saying gently caress it and charge of the light brigade my rear end into the middle of the dump and used the buildings as cover while blowing away all those damned LRM turrets.

My pilots all spent about a month in the Medway but we didn't lose any irreplaceable equipment.

Edit

Gwaihir posted:

The starting planets should always have easier contracts, despite the star rating.

Good to know!

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

VolticSurge posted:

So, I'm about to do Smithon or whatever that one really hard story mission is. The one after Panzyr. Are there any optimal Mech builds I need for this? My heaviest hitters are my punch-Dragon and stock Orion K, for reference.
Something to one-shot vehicles and maybe occasionally turrets. AC/20s are pretty good for that.
A LRM boat, moreso than usual.
Also, it's a long fight on a desert planet, so, you know, nothing that runs too hot.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Wizard Styles posted:

Something to one-shot vehicles. AC/20s are pretty good for that.
An LRM boat.
Also, it's a long fight on a desert planet, so, you know, nothing that runs too hot.

Alright, taking my AC20 Cent and LRM boat Treb.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I ran into a lovely bug where when I knocked a mech down, it wouldn't ever get back up again, but it would still maneuver around and around like it was standing.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Party Plane Jones posted:

I ran into a lovely bug where when I knocked a mech down, it wouldn't ever get back up again, but it would still maneuver around and around like it was standing.

I hope the model crawled everywhere?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Nasgate posted:

Slide around like it was breakdancing.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Nasgate posted:

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Why do my mechs sometime have a higher initiative? Is it a skill thing?

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Baron Porkface posted:

Master Tactician skill and Vigilance ability both boost your normal Init by 1.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

Baron Porkface posted:

Vigilance gives you +1 initiative, Precision Shot gives the enemy -1 initiative.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
my favorite part about the clans is how effectively they trigger goons

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Sarsapariller posted:

Two AC/5+'s will give you the damage output of an AC20 at double the range, better heat, and better ammo economy for 2 tons more in weight. Shave off the extra ton or so of AC20 ammo you are lugging around and it's only 1 ton more.

The downside is that the likelihood of hitting the same body part with both shots is pretty low compared without called shots.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Sarsapariller posted:

Two AC/5+'s will give you the damage output of an AC20 at double the range, better heat, and better ammo economy for 2 tons more in weight. Shave off the extra ton or so of AC20 ammo you are lugging around and it's only 1 ton more.
im a fan of the lower caliber ac's, but theyre still not nearly as good at punching holes as the ac/20. 200 dam spread all over a mech isn't half as good as 100 delivered to a torso section, wiping its armor and letting me crit it 2 deth with my angry swarm of missile bees.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Eej posted:

The downside is that the likelihood of hitting the same body part with both shots is pretty low compared without called shots.

This is something that gets missed so much when it comes to 'Damage Output!'. LRMs and lots of smaller damage weapons tend to chew up most of the mech before they get a kill. Heavy-hitting weapons may do less damage but are more likely to do the damage that matters. Does the armor and internals on an arm matter if I blast through the side torso it's attached to?

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Ragingsheep posted:

Anyone else need to put jump jets on all their mechs?

Yeah, if it's not an LRM boat it gets jets as far as I'm concerned. They are just too useful. Terrain effects are really powerful, line of sight is a huge deal, elevation gives bonuses, even an assault can generate 2-3 evasion pips a turn with jets, and you get access to Death From Above. It's not even a discussion. Maybe, MAYBE on a super brawly Bulwark pilot who didn't take Evasive Maneuvers, MAYBE I wouldn't take jets, but that's a hard sell when I'm only bringing 4 mechs to a drop.

Cyrano4747 posted:

The bonus being permanent loving has to be an oversight.

I can see what they were going for (make an investment now for rewards down the line) but I had 50 morale about halfway through the story and it made a bunch of the Argo upgrades almost useless. I still got them because LOW GRAVITY SWIMMING POOL but there's probably a better way for the system to be implemented. My thought was that morale should decay at a rate of like 1-2 a month. Events might have been the way they planned to do that but events basically always work out in your favor, especially once you start getting Argo upgrades.

BULBASAUR posted:

my favorite part about the clans is how effectively they trigger goons

:yeah:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I mean, ask yourself how often you feel comfortable ignoring an enemy AC20.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Unlucky7 posted:

Where do you all put your ammo stores? I was arming a Centurion last night and thought to put one of the ammo stores on an arm or at least away from the torso, but now I am thinking I should have it behind some significant armor even with the risk of it exploding.

In the same section as the gun that fires it. If the ammo blows, you're not going to be using the gun anymore, and if the gun blows, having the ammo around is useless if not dangerous.

That said, concentrate armor on sections supporting guns and head/core. Naval engineers pioneered minmaxing armor with limited weight allowance a century ago, and the concepts apply decently here.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Night10194 posted:

I mean, ask yourself how often you feel comfortable ignoring an enemy AC20.

Fuckin never. A hunchback ran in out of the fog and blapped my Orion with his AC/20, so next turn my Orion returned the favor and blew his right off.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
So uh, I can't run the game any more since the update. Verified etc already and no dice. GG.

e; update graphics drivers with new ones from today and restart steam fixed.

Fellblade fucked around with this message at 20:30 on May 3, 2018

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Fellblade posted:

So uh, I can't run the game any more since the update. Verified etc already and no dice. GG.

I had an odd crash that kept happening until I restarted Steam. Try that.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Internet Explorer posted:

I had an odd crash that kept happening until I restarted Steam. Try that.

I had some weird crash that kept happening when trying to start the game until I restarted my computer.

Then the same thing happened the next day but the game started after I closed Firefox.

I think it's some sort of memory issue.

Edit - it was weird because the first day was before the patch and after I had played the game the previous day and then yesterday all I did was close Firefox and was able to start the game.

TMMadman fucked around with this message at 20:34 on May 3, 2018

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

TMMadman posted:

I had some weird crash that kept happening when trying to start the game until I restarted my computer.

Then the same thing happened the next day but the game started after I closed Firefox.

I think it's some sort of memory issue.

Edit - it was weird because the first day was before the patch and after I had played the game the previous day and then yesterday all I did was close Firefox and was able to start the game.

There's 100% some kind of memory issue in the game, and I think it's partially triggered by saving and loading. If I don't save or load it stays zippy for a while, but if I start saving I notice a slow down and if I load something it starts really crawling. It always clears up with a quick quit to desktop and re-launch.

SSD and 16gb of ram, fwiw.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Eej posted:

Soup du Journey posted:

im a fan of the lower caliber ac's, but theyre still not nearly as good at punching holes as the ac/20. 200 dam spread all over a mech isn't half as good as 100 delivered to a torso section, wiping its armor and letting me crit it 2 deth with my angry swarm of missile bees.

Y'all are gonna hate clan mechs, then.
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Bane_(Kraken)

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Fellblade posted:

e; update graphics drivers with new ones from today and restart steam fixed.

I had the same problem until a reboot - graphics driver problems, yeah.

Ragingsheep posted:

Anyone else need to put jump jets on all their mechs?

Yes, but mostly just to give a slight bit of mobility if I have to go over a mountain or river or some other bullshit (like spawning on a hill, that was great).

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

AttackBacon posted:

Yeah, if it's not an LRM boat it gets jets as far as I'm concerned.

Put JJ's on your lrm boats also, might as well, they don't need armor

Cyrano4747 posted:

There's 100% some kind of memory issue in the game, and I think it's partially triggered by saving and loading. If I don't save or load it stays zippy for a while, but if I start saving I notice a slow down and if I load something it starts really crawling. It always clears up with a quick quit to desktop and re-launch.

SSD and 16gb of ram, fwiw.

Yeah, I wonder if it's a general problem with Unity or something because literally every game I play has a recurring issue with memory leaks once you accumulate a lot of save files. Moving the older saves into a backup directory can help.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Sarsapariller posted:

That would be up to 500 damage at 810 meters in this game

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Taerkar posted:

This is something that gets missed so much when it comes to 'Damage Output!'. LRMs and lots of smaller damage weapons tend to chew up most of the mech before they get a kill. Heavy-hitting weapons may do less damage but are more likely to do the damage that matters. Does the armor and internals on an arm matter if I blast through the side torso it's attached to?

Depending on tube count and bonuses, LRMs come in four flavors: Poké ball, Great ball, Ultra ball, and Master Ball

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I feel like editing the .jsons to reduce LRM damage would make them a little too reliable as capture devices

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Xarbala posted:

I feel like editing the .jsons to reduce LRM damage would make them a little too reliable as capture devices

Yeah. My ideal LRM 20 would deal 1 damage per missile but keep the stab damage. Just knock the fuckers on their rear end and scoop the mess out of hte cockpit at the end.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Sarsapariller posted:

Yeah but there plenty of Clan mechs that just cram as many big hitters as possible. The Masakiri has like 4x ER PPCs and an obligatory LRM10 and that's it

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Taerkar posted:

Even with the damage spread the fact that you always get damage is significant. 80 damage at 70% chance is 30% chance of zero damage on a gun. 80 damage at 70% chance means you do 56 damage with LRMs.

You're also not factoring in the price of a called shot. I'd argue you're far more likely to chew through the part you want with LRMs and MGs or S/M Lasers than you are with MGs or S/M Lasers and an Autocannon/PPC/whatever without a called shot thanks to the fact that LRMs are going to wear away the part you want gone until enough small poo poo hits it. Sure if you've got infinite morale and can score the hit where you want then the called shot and a big gun is going to win every day of the week but that's why the limits are there.

nessin fucked around with this message at 21:09 on May 3, 2018

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Xarbala posted:

Depending on tube count and bonuses, LRMs come in four flavors: Poké ball, Great ball, Ultra ball, and Master Ball

Mod the game so that the LRM20 actually just fires an enormous burlap sack that pins the target to the ground and your entire lance runs up and kicks the crap out of it before kidnapping it as salvage

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 29 minutes!
I want the ability to play as a Clanner in future games/DLC. Partially because they make people so mad, and partially because we haven't gotten do to that aside from fighting against other clanners, as I recall, in Mechwarrior 2.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Why would you want to play a no melee game though

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
With all this focus on heat maintenance. Are there any superheated flak cannons that just absorb all the heat and dissipate it into another form of attack? I'm no scientist, but the concept seems right up the alley of the insane engineers in the setting.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I think it would be interesting to have a clan invasion game where you're trying to limit losses as a theatre commander while buying time to get new tech fielded.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Eej posted:

Yeah but there plenty of Clan mechs that just cram as many big hitters as possible. The Masakiri has like 4x ER PPCs and an obligatory LRM10 and that's it

Warhawk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

nessin posted:

Even with the damage spread the fact that you always get damage is significant. 80 damage at 70% chance is 30% chance of zero damage on a gun. 80 damage at 70% chance means you do 56 damage with LRMs.

You're also not factoring in the price of a called shot. I'd argue you're far more likely to chew through the part you want with LRMs and MGs or S/M Lasers than you are with MGs or S/M Lasers and an Autocannon/PPC/whatever without a called shot thanks to the fact that LRMs are going to wear away the part you want gone until enough small poo poo hits it. Sure if you've got infinite morale and can score the hit where you want then the called shot and a big gun is going to win every day of the week but that's why the limits are there.

That depends rather heavily on how much damage you need to do to that location. The more hits you need to land on that location the smaller the chance of a kill.