Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

Covok posted:

Corp deadline is march 15th.

My dude you’re living in 2016. C corps aren’t due until April 17. S corps are due Thursday but who has an S Corp and not an LLC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

My dude you’re living in 2016. C corps aren’t due until April 17. S corps are due Thursday but who has an S Corp and not an LLC?

All my corporare clients are S-Corps. I'm not even joking. All my corporate clients are S-Corps.

I have no idea why it's so common in this area.

Well, actually I think I know why: most are older clients who probably made it an S-Corp when it was still sensible to do that. Hell, half of them are closing down left and right because the people are retiring.

Covok fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Mar 14, 2018

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Moneyball posted:

Hi friends. How's busy season?

I’m all done and gettin druuuunk my dude

gently caress auditing

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

efb

Most of our clients are Scorps toooo

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Audax posted:

Just received an email last week that work hours are 8-5pm. Apparently some people have been doing 9-6s and that's just unacceptable in industry.

Mods?!

Also, this thread could use a better title. You're accounts, so you're a creative lot. Any suggestions?

Moneyball fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Mar 14, 2018

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Does anybody have any experience with IT Audit specifically? I'm about to interview for a position in it at a non-big 4 firm. I feel like it's a really strong fit for me because I did a double major in accounting and IT, and I think a lot of the skills in my current data services career will carry over. I'm a little worried about being blindsided though because I don't have any experience working directly in accounting yet.

Sardonik fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Mar 14, 2018

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Moneyball posted:

Mods?!

Also, this thread could use a better title. You're accounts, so you're a creative lot. Any suggestions?

File form 1077-B To Request A Career Change

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Moneyball posted:

Mods?!

Tell me about an accounting career: The Accountan-sea is Accrual Mistress

Or spell it accountancy mb people are better at jokes than I'm giving them credit for

e - alternatively:

Tell me about an accounting career: Audit Sucks HAHA TAX 4 LYFE

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

Public Accounting: More like The Big Bore

Covok
May 27, 2013

I'm just gonna bitch about this:

If you take a box of returns after work hours that I was working on without telling me, don't be surprised if there are errors on them.They weren't done. If they were done, I would have sent them back to the other office. Yeah, if you just take them before I give the okay, then, yes, there might be some errors. It's almost like, you know, I was still working on them. It's not like I had that box for a while.

Also, if someone calls to go "when you're doing review, check that box extra closely: it was sent over before I was done with them" replying with "they're a few errors in them, try to cut down on them: look them over first" is a dumb response. I literally just loving said I was going to do that but you took them before I had the chance.

Also, you should tell me you did this eventually. I shouldn't have to find out that box is a whole new set of returns from a co-worker late the next day. If no one tells me the box was replaced and its in the exact same spot, I'm not going to notice unless I go to work on them. And you know I'm busy doing all the corporate returns because I'm the guy in the office who handles all the corporate returns. All of them. You know, since I was hired from the Big 4 and have a lot of experience doing them (that's the official reason, but these corporate returns are SUPER different form the hedge funds I worked on that I basically had to re-learn everything). So, I might not touch them for a while. I never said I had the capacity or time to take another box. You just did that without asking.

If you take an identical box of identical returns because everything is standardized and put in the exact same place, I'm not going to know it's gone.

It's not like this is normal procedure, after all. I'm helping a sister office with their returns. We're literally inventing procedure as we go. As evidenced by the fact that we've changed our rules on things like 3 times since we started trying to help the sister office, going from "do almost the entire thing" to "actually, do everything up to the final review because we don't want them to get confused what office we're at: just call them to ask questions if they come up" to "don't call them at all, we don't want people to think multiple people are working on their return, just write the questions down and we'll look them over."

Covok fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Mar 15, 2018

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Anyone have a practice overseas? I want to get some liability insurance now that the number of my clients is ramping up, but I'm not sure where to look for coverage outside of the United States. Do AICPA or anything like that offer international coverage?

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Audax posted:

Just received an email last week that work hours are 8-5pm. Apparently some people have been doing 9-6s and that's just unacceptable in industry.

Working until 6 because you came in at 9 shows weakness and recognizing you did something wrong. You solve this by still leaving at 5. Take a 2 hour lunch if you want to be on management track.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Sardonik posted:

Does anybody have any experience with IT Audit specifically? I'm about to interview for a position in it at a non-big 4 firm. I feel like it's a really strong fit for me because I did a double major in accounting and IT, and I think a lot of the skills in my current data services career will carry over. I'm a little worried about being blindsided though because I don't have any experience working directly in accounting yet.

I do. I feel like my MIS degree and CPA license have not contributed much to the work I’ve done in the IT audit field. Accounting knowledge helps with business process controls and system reports, but I have coworkers at my Big 4 job with an IT-only background who are doing just fine.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Democratic Pirate posted:

I do. I feel like my MIS degree and CPA license have not contributed much to the work I’ve done in the IT audit field. Accounting knowledge helps with business process controls and system reports, but I have coworkers at my Big 4 job with an IT-only background who are doing just fine.

Ah word! If I do get the position, I was thinking I might go for the CISA cert before anything else.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I learned today that, apparently, my position was "always" a temporary position meant to last only one busy season, even though my offer letter says otherwise.

I already got an interview scheduled for an associate accounting position, but, jeez, what a thing to pull.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Are you sure you don’t just, like, have bad BO or something??

Covok
May 27, 2013

Good Citizen posted:

Are you sure you don’t just, like, have bad BO or something??

Considering they opened the meeting by saying they were a small firm and they did this literally the day after busy season, and they only have like six full-time employees and I'm the newest one, I think they're one of those people who just hire dudes on and then can them once busy season is up to save on money. I was only hired like 3 weeks before busy season and they spent an entire time getting me up to speed.

Covok fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Apr 21, 2018

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
What should I take with me on my first day? :ohdear:

obviously something to write on/with. i was going to take a bunch of updated resumes with me. should i take my social security card and stuff?

:ohdear:

e: :ohdear:

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

A good attitude thats willing to learn!

Probably a bag to put your laptop in. A notebook is good and a pen.

If you already have the job you won’t need your resume but I guess bring a couple if you like. Social security card is a decent idea, in case they do citizenship verification on the first day.

What kind of job do you have?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
It's an internship at a CPA firm in D.C. that focuses on government accounting.

I'm hoping to get a full time offer at the end of August.

I was going to shop for a shoulder bag and some comfortable dress shoes. Any recommendations on both of those would be appreciated!

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

boop the snoot posted:

It's an internship at a CPA firm in D.C. that focuses on government accounting.

I'm hoping to get a full time offer at the end of August.

I was going to shop for a shoulder bag and some comfortable dress shoes. Any recommendations on both of those would be appreciated!

I love Cole Haan shoes if you can get away with them.. Dress shoes, even nice ones destroy my feet. But Cole Haans are pretty dressy but have good soles and feel great to me. They are expensive though so I only buy them if they have a good sale going on.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

I love Cole Haan shoes if you can get away with them.. Dress shoes, even nice ones destroy my feet. But Cole Haans are pretty dressy but have good soles and feel great to me. They are expensive though so I only buy them if they have a good sale going on.

If I can get a lot of miles out of them I don't mind paying a few dollars more than I would normally be comfortable with. Are they durable?

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I didn't realize PMs were a paid feature. Maybe because my reg date is a decade before yours (holy mother of Christ) I got them free and grandfathered in. Anyways all I wanted to say is that while this is my sixth tax season, this was my first season working 8am to midnight for two weeks straight. So that was pretty fun and miserable. Did you have any crypto clients this year?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Hellblazer187 posted:

I didn't realize PMs were a paid feature. Maybe because my reg date is a decade before yours (holy mother of Christ) I got them free and grandfathered in. Anyways all I wanted to say is that while this is my sixth tax season, this was my first season working 8am to midnight for two weeks straight. So that was pretty fun and miserable. Did you have any crypto clients this year?

That how it was when I was with KPMG. Especially on Fridays. I had a client at KPMG where they didn't need me at all during the day, but, at 5pm, they dumped work on me and I was working till 1, 2, 3 in the morning. My friend even did an all-nighter followed by a 1am shift once. He's still working there.

To be honest, though, this tax season SUCKED because I got a different first. See, I worked late at KPMG to avoid working weekends. My last employer, because we did meetings, had a schedule of 9-8 M-Th, 9-5 Fri-Sat. That's not bad. But, I HATED having only one day off a week. It also meant that, if I had to come in on a weekend, I had no days off that week. That really ticked me off and I really wished I could do what I often did at KPMG and just stay late so I didn't have to do Saturday. I still worked some Saturdays at KPMG, but, if you're willing to work till 1am, you can usually keep them to yourself. I missed having two days to myself a week for those 3 months.

Now, I have too many to myself, but I'll get to that.

Yep, I had a few crypto clients. They gave me spreadsheets and I handled them as a capital gains/loss, respectively. There was some confusion, but not too much. It was simplier than we thought it could be, sans the times we went in deep on how it all worked.

What really sucked this season was this: On April 18th, the second I walked in, they called me into a meeting, said they are a small business, gave me a severance, and fired me. I didn't think of anything till I told my friends and family and other accountants and they all went "wait, they fired you the second busy season ended and they hired like right before busy season started? Dude, this was a temporary position and they lied through their arse to your face." And, honestly, I think they're right because, last year, they had a guy we'll call D who got let go at some nebulous time in the past and, before him, some guy we'll call Q. So, I think this fucker lies that this is a permanent position to get people with good resumes, uses them for 1 busy season, and fires their rear end the second busy season is over.

What a fucker!

Covok fucked around with this message at 21:51 on May 3, 2018

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

This is more of a E/N post, but drat I can't even seem to get hired for low level A/R jobs anymore.

The gap in my work history keeps widening as I'm not getting to the interview stage any more. I know the solution is to just finish the CPA I've been working on forever, but how do I explain the gap? Hell, I don't even mind starting at the beginning at this point, but working for a while, then not working for a while looks a lot worse than having no experience.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

The problem with Crypto is that each coin to coin transaction is a sale, so if someone has a sheet that says they traded some btc for some eth, you need to have the USD values of both for that exact date and time to figure out the sales price/basis in the new coin. There are SaaS sites that make this relatively easy (https://www.bitcoin.tax is the best one) but depending on what they have going on it can take hours just to get the data in a format where the SaaS can read it.

I'm actually the other way around. I'd so much rather work a Saturday or even the whole weekend than to stay that late. The last two weeks were 14 hour days straight, weekends included.

Yeah I'm pretty sure the dude just used you, which loving sucks. I had a similar situation at the beginning/end of my legal career (it didn't last long!). I had been working for a guy when I was in law school, and he had a big trial coming up right as I was about to enter bar study. Most people do not work during bar study, but he said I had a full time gig waiting for me after I got my results, and he could really use my help getting prepped for trial. So imagine my surprise, working for this guy while studying - which everyone says not to do - I arrive the Monday after my exam and I'm told I'm still part time hourly help until I get my results. I pass, top five percent of test takers (not that it matters but it's my one victory from this time period), guess what, still hourly help. Oh, and we don't need that much help anymore.

Well that guy's always going to be a small time lawyer and your guy is always going to be a small time accountant. You can get away with using people in most industries but I don't think it works in white collar/professional fields. At least that's what I'll tell myself.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Moneyball posted:

This is more of a E/N post, but drat I can't even seem to get hired for low level A/R jobs anymore.

The gap in my work history keeps widening as I'm not getting to the interview stage any more. I know the solution is to just finish the CPA I've been working on forever, but how do I explain the gap? Hell, I don't even mind starting at the beginning at this point, but working for a while, then not working for a while looks a lot worse than having no experience.

Leave the grad date off your resume, remove the work experience. Make sure you moisturize and stuff so you look young. There you go, fresh grad!

And yeah, pass the dang test if you haven't already.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Hellblazer187 posted:

The problem with Crypto is that each coin to coin transaction is a sale, so if someone has a sheet that says they traded some btc for some eth, you need to have the USD values of both for that exact date and time to figure out the sales price/basis in the new coin. There are SaaS sites that make this relatively easy (https://www.bitcoin.tax is the best one) but depending on what they have going on it can take hours just to get the data in a format where the SaaS can read it.

I'm actually the other way around. I'd so much rather work a Saturday or even the whole weekend than to stay that late. The last two weeks were 14 hour days straight, weekends included.

Yeah I'm pretty sure the dude just used you, which loving sucks. I had a similar situation at the beginning/end of my legal career (it didn't last long!). I had been working for a guy when I was in law school, and he had a big trial coming up right as I was about to enter bar study. Most people do not work during bar study, but he said I had a full time gig waiting for me after I got my results, and he could really use my help getting prepped for trial. So imagine my surprise, working for this guy while studying - which everyone says not to do - I arrive the Monday after my exam and I'm told I'm still part time hourly help until I get my results. I pass, top five percent of test takers (not that it matters but it's my one victory from this time period), guess what, still hourly help. Oh, and we don't need that much help anymore.

Well that guy's always going to be a small time lawyer and your guy is always going to be a small time accountant. You can get away with using people in most industries but I don't think it works in white collar/professional fields. At least that's what I'll tell myself.

Oh, they had a spreadsheet that told me the capital gains of every transaction he did. Oh gently caress, was I not supposed to use the summary at the bottom? He had a spreadsheet that recorded all that data, but did a summary of everything. They were all short-term, not reported so I thought I could do them all in a summary. No one else in the firm knew and basically said "your guess is as good as mine."

To each their own. I'm naturally a night owl so I like working late. I LOVE when everyone leaves the office, it gets quiet, and I can work without a phonecall, e-mail, client, or otherwise interrupting me. I sail through work when I am finally free of interruptions. I love having two days offer a week because it lets me pretend that I'm not being worked to death. It also allows me time to spend with my family and friend, sleep in, fix my sleep debt, and get poo poo-faced plastered drunk and have a day to sleep it off.

Also, that's rough. That's worse than what I got. I was just doing it as a full time job. I mean, I'm bitter because I did the thing of staying late, skipping lunches, coming in on Sundays, etc. etc. to try to keep my job. But having to do study and work to get a job that the lawyer was lying about is major bad. That really sucks, dude. I take sollace in the fact I did the company's taxes and bookkeeping and, well, this guy is not rockerfeller and I think I legitimately made more at KPMG than this guy makes in his salary.

Since the job openings are dying down, going to finally sit down and do the CPA. I meant to do it last year...then I lost my job and focused on the hunt. But I should do it now because, given my track record, if I stop every time I lose my job, I'll probably never pass it! Ha...ha....*sigh*

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Covok posted:

Oh, they had a spreadsheet that told me the capital gains of every transaction he did. Oh gently caress, was I not supposed to use the summary at the bottom? He had a spreadsheet that recorded all that data, but did a summary of everything. They were all short-term, not reported so I thought I could do them all in a summary. No one else in the firm knew and basically said "your guess is as good as mine."

If the client figured his own gains (hopefully using one of those softwares and hopefully using FIFO) yeah, fine to do a summary.

Covok posted:

Also, that's rough. That's worse than what I got. I was just doing it as a full time job. I mean, I'm bitter because I did the thing of staying late, skipping lunches, coming in on Sundays, etc. etc. to try to keep my job. But having to do study and work to get a job that the lawyer was lying about is major bad. That really sucks, dude. I take sollace in the fact I did the company's taxes and bookkeeping and, well, this guy is not rockerfeller and I think I legitimately made more at KPMG than this guy makes in his salary.

Since the job openings are dying down, going to finally sit down and do the CPA. I meant to do it last year...then I lost my job and focused on the hunt. But I should do it now because, given my track record, if I stop every time I lose my job, I'll probably never pass it! Ha...ha....*sigh*

2009 was like the worst year of my life. My mom died from some pills like a week before I finished school, then the bar exam and this rear end in a top hat giving me the runaround on the job thing. With the stress and grief I gained 90 lbs that year.

Do you have an EA at least? Do you ever do expat stuff?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Hellblazer187 posted:

If the client figured his own gains (hopefully using one of those softwares and hopefully using FIFO) yeah, fine to do a summary.

2009 was like the worst year of my life. My mom died from some pills like a week before I finished school, then the bar exam and this rear end in a top hat giving me the runaround on the job thing. With the stress and grief I gained 90 lbs that year.

Do you have an EA at least? Do you ever do expat stuff?

I am not an Enrolled agent. I have not done any expatiate stuff. I atleast I don't think. I worked on line 700+ clients last busy season.

Also, phew. So, we're all good then. I suppose that, at the end of the day, two things: I don't work there anymore and he supplied me the spreadsheet.

Also, dude, that is loving awful. That's...man, dude, that loving sucks.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

That's.... a lot of loving clients. I didn't do half that much. I think people focusing on expat work probably do fewer returns overall - this was my busiest season to date and I've been doing this for 6 years now. But holy gently caress that's a lot of returns.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Hellblazer187 posted:

That's.... a lot of loving clients. I didn't do half that much. I think people focusing on expat work probably do fewer returns overall - this was my busiest season to date and I've been doing this for 6 years now. But holy gently caress that's a lot of returns.

Well, a lot were 1040-EZ. But, like, every day, there'd be like 10-20 returns in the drop-off box. I'm probably overselling it. But there were a ton in the drop-off box every day, usualy 10 or so. Then the corporate clients. The the box of 20-30 returns I'd get from the other office.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Moneyball posted:

Once you pass that CPA exam that explains the gap.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Covok posted:

Well, a lot were 1040-EZ. But, like, every day, there'd be like 10-20 returns in the drop-off box. I'm probably overselling it. But there were a ton in the drop-off box every day, usualy 10 or so. Then the corporate clients. The the box of 20-30 returns I'd get from the other office.

I've never done a 1040-EZ. How long does one take, out of curiosity? What does a CPA firm in the US charge for an EZ? I have to admit I'm a bit surprised anyone with an EZ would pay someone to help with it, but then again I've seen a bunch of dumb poo poo on self prepared returns.

A good day for me is 5 to 7 returns. I've had 10+ return days but I don't think I've ever done 20 in a single day. I do a lot of consultation calls as well. But still, seems like a lot of returns. Maybe I shouldn't be on SA so much.

Oh, and just to swing back to the other thing, and without spoilers - I've never been much of a Thor fan, either Odinson or Jane, but I did enjoy the last arc including the conclusion.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Hellblazer187 posted:

I've never done a 1040-EZ. How long does one take, out of curiosity? What does a CPA firm in the US charge for an EZ? I have to admit I'm a bit surprised anyone with an EZ would pay someone to help with it, but then again I've seen a bunch of dumb poo poo on self prepared returns.

A good day for me is 5 to 7 returns. I've had 10+ return days but I don't think I've ever done 20 in a single day. I do a lot of consultation calls as well. But still, seems like a lot of returns. Maybe I shouldn't be on SA so much.

Oh, and just to swing back to the other thing, and without spoilers - I've never been much of a Thor fan, either Odinson or Jane, but I did enjoy the last arc including the conclusion.

They take about, on average, 5 to 10 minutes, depending on if you go over your work. They're really, really easy....except people never give enough info so you usually have to call and go "did you have health insurance? Was it from the markerplace?" or something. We charged around 75 to 100 dollars for a 1040-EZ.

As for why people need you to do them...people are loving DUMB! Warning, I've been drinking. Anyway, I once had an rear end in a top hat in my office for 40 MINUTES bitching that he wasn't getting as much as "MY FIANCE~!" because he made more money and, therefore, should get more refund! Like, are you dumb motherfucker? Are you dumb? You're dumb! That's not how it works! Making more money means nothing! What were your witholdings!? I got told to go kill myself and yelled at for telling someone with 6 W-2s that they only withhold on 3 that, SHOCKER, they owed money.

I'm not joking when I say that the average person is a loving brainless moron when it comes to their own taxes. Like, they don't understand anything. I really mean anything. Some people get things, but most don't even understand what witholdings are!

People are dumb. They know they're dumb (somewhat). So they pay an accountant $100+ to make a 1040-EZ. Or they think we will use "accounting magic~!" and get them back 7 bajillion dollars in refund! Or they expect us to lie for them. I had to tell a lot of people we won't lie for them. We had to reject some clients who tried that. There were a lot.

As for the number of returns, complexity is what matters. The average American return is actually pretty quick and easy. You can get it done 100% correct in like 10 minutes. But some returns do take a lot of time to do. If you're returns are more complex, you can do less in a day. I worked on some really complicated returns that took weeks to finish because they were tied to multiple businesses. It just happens most were 1040-EZ so it was quick to fly through.

As for Thor, I took a chance when they did the Jane Foster switch. Stuck with it. And worked my way back. He's a SUPER COOL character and has an awesome history. Walter Simonson's Thor is a must read.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Covok posted:

They take about, on average, 5 to 10 minutes, depending on if you go over your work. They're really, really easy....except people never give enough info so you usually have to call and go "did you have health insurance? Was it from the markerplace?" or something. We charged around 75 to 100 dollars for a 1040-EZ.

As for why people need you to do them...people are loving DUMB! Warning, I've been drinking. Anyway, I once had an rear end in a top hat in my office for 40 MINUTES bitching that he wasn't getting as much as "MY FIANCE~!" because he made more money and, therefore, should get more refund! Like, are you dumb motherfucker? Are you dumb? You're dumb! That's not how it works! Making more money means nothing! What were your witholdings!? I got told to go kill myself and yelled at for telling someone with 6 W-2s that they only withhold on 3 that, SHOCKER, they owed money.

I'm not joking when I say that the average person is a loving brainless moron when it comes to their own taxes. Like, they don't understand anything. I really mean anything. Some people get things, but most don't even understand what witholdings are!

People are dumb. They know they're dumb (somewhat). So they pay an accountant $100+ to make a 1040-EZ. Or they think we will use "accounting magic~!" and get them back 7 bajillion dollars in refund! Or they expect us to lie for them. I had to tell a lot of people we won't lie for them. We had to reject some clients who tried that. There were a lot.

As for the number of returns, complexity is what matters. The average American return is actually pretty quick and easy. You can get it done 100% correct in like 10 minutes. But some returns do take a lot of time to do. If you're returns are more complex, you can do less in a day. I worked on some really complicated returns that took weeks to finish because they were tied to multiple businesses. It just happens most were 1040-EZ so it was quick to fly through.

As for Thor, I took a chance when they did the Jane Foster switch. Stuck with it. And worked my way back. He's a SUPER COOL character and has an awesome history. Walter Simonson's Thor is a must read.

I've definitely had people ask me to lie, which is hilarious and awesome. At an old firm, I had some long time clients complain to my boss when I wouldn't leave like 10k in interest off the return. "We thought you being an attorney meant you could leave stuff off if we told you about it." Yes, attorney client privilege definitely means I can sign a false tax return.

Without giving too much away... the other thread we both participate in is proof positive that a huge number of Americans are dumb as poo poo so I guess you're right.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

Y’all do people? That sounds miserable. I have an Australian company as a client and at least they have tax people and are aware of how US taxation works. Work with the public sounds awful.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

Y’all do people? That sounds miserable. I have an Australian company as a client and at least they have tax people and are aware of how US taxation works. Work with the public sounds awful.

Have you ever worked retail? Imagine that, but much angrier. (pay is better though).

Actually a lot of the time it's fine. A lot of the time people are super nice and thankful. The best is when someone does their own return and then I come in and fix it and get them back a bunch of money.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Harry posted:

Once you pass that CPA exam that explains the gap.

It's a goddamn long gap. I've been taking some college credits too, so I guess I could throw that in there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Moneyball posted:

It's a goddamn long gap. I've been taking some college credits too, so I guess I could throw that in there

How long we talking? Any chance of doing some volunteer work while you're studying? I think a gap in the past is easier to explain than a current gap you're asking to have ended. That's just speculation though.