Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Dyna Soar posted:

must sees:

high on fire, stoner motorhead, they're much faster than anything else on that bill
weedater & eyehategod, classic southern punk sludge
nebula, one of the best stoner ROCK bands. they're like a slacker version of 60s acid rock, very good band.
jex thoth, i especially like their second album. it's got an almost neofolk feel here and there. live they play slow & low though, hippie doom metal. great vocalist.

maybe sees:
horisont, it's nothign new under the sun but their latest was just a hugely fun 70s AOR.
graveyard, same as above but a lot less fun. i do really like their first album, tho
church of misery, tatsu has a new band and i hear it's a good one! it's all new guys tho, so i can't say they'll be good for certain.

the rest are either generic or i've never heard of and are probably just more of the same

Thanks, especially for the Nebula and Horisont recs. Never even heard of those

Dimebags Brain posted:

If you like Thin Lizzy than Dead Lord is probably worth checking out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1zdIx-GTM4

I love Thin Lizzy but this song is a bit of a mess. I do like the drummer's mugging, though.

e: hell yeah, Lizzy snipe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsGl-0pzEEc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
nebula is two dudes who left fu manchu in the 90s and started their own band. they've got great songs and most of all, rock and roll swagger most stoner bands almost completely lack and try to hide it with louder and louder amps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RX2T9aN4HIU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Kvlt! posted:

They had a different drummer when i saw them. Dont know his name but he did a great job.

He doesnt do Travis's crazy awesome stick-tricks tho

Wait there's no more T-Boogie? That's the best part of Weedeater live!

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Varg posted:

I'll be there again, let's get a beer.

deal

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Might be going to see Tyr on Sunday.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Dyna Soar posted:

it's like thin lizzy without the songs!

lol

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
okay, I'll say what needs to be said: Thin Lizzy ain't all that great to begin with

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Dadbod Apocalypse posted:

Thin Lizzy ain't all that great to begin with

Proof objectively bad opinions exist

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
so when someone says wow this band sounds a lot like Thin Lizzy, I'll go...yeah, um, okay, so?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Kvlt! posted:

Proof objectively bad opinions exist

guys... they have two guitars that play in harmony

ok, and?

well get this -- they have two guitars that play in harmony...from Ireland!

*falls off chair*

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
thin lizzy's like judas priest and not just the two lead guitar thing

they got a bunch of songs i like but i'm not gonna sit and listen to an entire album

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
believe me, i've tried because people go on and on about them to the point that i think there must be something to it, but every time it's meh

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Thin Lizzy rules.

That's controversial opinion

Edit I also can't spell

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Thin lizzy rules and them twin guitars leads are awesome

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

guys... they have two guitars that play in harmony

ok, and?

well get this -- they have two guitars that play in harmony...from Ireland!

*falls off chair*

And they write really good songs unless you're a loving rube

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

The Muppets On PCP posted:

thin lizzy's like judas priest and not just the two lead guitar thing

they got a bunch of songs i like but i'm not gonna sit and listen to an entire album

Painkiller is great from start to finish but otherwise I agree with this

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

okay, I'll say what needs to be said: Thin Lizzy ain't all that great to begin with

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The hype is growing for the new Sleep record

http://www.realclearlife.com/music/sciences-sleep-one-best-metal-albums-time/

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

WRONG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODJP56YfWXY

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Morbid Angel is in town for $25 next Tuesday. Worth seeing them? I’m not super familiar with their stuff, just have heard random songs.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Morbid Angel is in town for $25 next Tuesday. Worth seeing them? I’m not super familiar with their stuff, just have heard random songs.

Abso-fuckin-lutely. They helped invent death metal, back in the day. Morbid Angel is one of those bands every DM fan has to see at least once.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

I mean i really like it but this person is out of their mind.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

they're only playing non-david vincent songs but if you haven't heard much of their stuff it won't really matter

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

hopterque posted:

I mean i really like it but this person is out of their mind.

quote:

The Sciences, the first new album of the century from the legendary doom/stoner metal trio called Sleep, is certainly the best rock album since The Bends; in fact, it’s possibly the most fascinating, focused, and intense (yet utterly listenable) metal album since Funhouse by the Stooges.

lmao

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

JFC

quote:

Dopesmoker is a startling specimen of originality, ambition, and assembly, the metal equivalent of Pet Sounds;

mods,

e: holy loving poo poo, that thing is just chock full with pro-rear end user names. im "a less lascivious Buzz Osbourne"

e2: i think im going to kill mysekf

quote:

It was enough for Black Flag to become the blueprint for every road-dog metal and punk and band of the 1980s and ‘90s, and to pioneer a kind of lo-fi Stooges-meets-MC5-meets-Tyranny and Mutation post-Sun Ra metal; they didn’t feel the need to actually try to bring it together for a classic, track-to-track holy American rock album.

Smirr fucked around with this message at 08:22 on May 4, 2018

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

MrBling posted:

I found one of the few good metal related things on youtube.

Its just these two dudes coming from a primarily hip-hop background, listening to songs suggested by their fans and they get a lot of metal in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sh8wxc4tctE

I just love their pure reactions to Megadeth.

Those dudes are cool and have some pretty clever things to say. Also it's very amusing to watch first-time reactions to stuff we've all known since forever (like Metallica when they were good).

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Watching them get their faces melted off by Painkiller was pretty great. The look on the dude on the right's face through most of it tho.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Groke posted:

Those dudes are cool and have some pretty clever things to say.

my favorite is when they were listening to some dream theater song and one of them was like "they're using every preset on the keyboard"

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
also when they thought danzig was being ironic

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

I liked their reaction to Ne Obliviscaris, and also that they correctly identified Anthrax as terrible. Thanks for linking it MrBling, I had them on while doing other things yesterday and it was good stuff.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

il_cornuto posted:

and also that they correctly identified Anthrax as terrible.

It really is a horrific disease

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Smirr posted:

JFC

mods,

e: holy loving poo poo, that thing is just chock full with pro-rear end user names. im "a less lascivious Buzz Osbourne"

e2: i think im going to kill mysekf

i read like a paragraph and my eyes just became unfocused and i started drooling a little, i couldn't take it.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
i watched a couple of the vegas vids last night, they liked black sabbath, slayer and alice in chains but didn't like soundgarden., which was dissapointing.

also they didn't like death metal vox and paid too much attention to "groove"

i wish they'd listen to some real metal instead of that false poo poo ppl seem to recommend them

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 11:48 on May 4, 2018

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Dyna Soar posted:

i watched a couple of the vegas vids last night, they liked black sabbath, slayer and alice in chains but didn't like soundgarden., which was dissapointing.

also they didn't like death metal vox and paid too much attention to "groove"

i wish they'd listen to some real metal instead of that false poo poo ppl seem to recommend them

i mean i think they're getting more into it, its hard to jump into the deep end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSCcRhHyvjo

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

It took me years of just thinking death vocals were tolerable before I started to actually like them, and there was a year or two before that when I liked metal with clean vocals but almost no harsh stuff. These guys are just starting to explore metal, the fact that they felt that the death vocals in stuff like Ne Obliv and Gojira worked well even if they still didn't enjoy the vocals shows that they're really trying to be open minded and appreciate the music IMO. I definitely don't agree with all of their taste but they're pretty good at identifying solid compositions and musicianship even when they don't enjoy it themselves.

They probably wouldn't like much "real" metal yet, although IDK what else you'd call Judas Priest, Ne Obliv and Megadeth.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
i don't mean like super obscure stuff, more like cannibal corpse, abscess or morbid angel old entombed or godflesh or razor. cool, real metal and not some lovely mallcore or w/e modern metalcore they mostly seemed to check out

altho i would like to know what they think of burzum or darkthrone, hah

il_cornuto posted:

They probably wouldn't like much "real" metal yet, although IDK what else you'd call Judas Priest, Ne Obliv and Megadeth.

judas priest and megadeth are real metal, but you gotta admit they're just hard rock with just higher tempos and more guitar noodling. there's nothing wrong with it, but it's about as accessible as metal can be.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 12:34 on May 4, 2018

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dyna Soar posted:

since their channel's monetized they're stuck having to not piss off youtube commenters too much

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

PSA: The new Ihsahn is out today. Just starting to listen to it so I can't offer any thoughts, but will give a trip report.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Smirr posted:

...post-Sun Ra metal...

More album review should be written by markov chains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Vargatron posted:

PSA: The new Ihsahn is out today. Just starting to listen to it so I can't offer any thoughts, but will give a trip report.

Everything he does ranges from really good to amazing so I’m looking forward to it.

I read an interview with him recently. He comes off as a genuinely humble person.

https://www.loudersound.com/features/ihsahn-guide-to-life

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 13:28 on May 4, 2018