Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Is there any way to move the Mechs to other Bays? I have two holes in the top but I suspect the only way would be storing all my mechs. :( Click and drag doesn't work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Hammerstein posted:

I think Breaching Shot would be way more interesting/versatile if it applied to all weapons of the same type. If you have a Mech with 1 LLaser, 3 MLaser and a PPC then this should allow you to fire all 3 MLasers with the Breaching passive.

That way Mechs with mid-damage weapons would also benefit from this and not only the AC20/Gauss boats.

Breaching shot works with multishot. Makes double PPC setups a bit more viable.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

KPC_Mammon posted:

I've found leg mods that give - 10 and - 20 DFA self damage.

Is there a decent DFA build with these? My first thought is putting both of them on a Firestarter armed with four small lasers or machine guns. I'm having trouble finding the tonnage for six.

They also come in -30 varieties, I've been idly thinking of figuring out if it's possible to build a mech that actually takes 0 DFA self damage but I would have to do some testing to see exactly how everything works and it seems like a pain in the rear end

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Night10194 posted:

The greatest kills are MG Ammo Explosion in the CT.
Even with my swapping them out for small lasers, B Team member Epic thanks god for the moment we finally put together a Jenner and Panther and could retire their personal Locust. Instead of being cockteased by that 2/3 firestarter while the Spider was reserved for Dekker whenever he left the hospital.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Arrath posted:

DFA damage is based on tonnage of the mech, so the bigger the better. :getin:

Self damage is (mech's tonnage - leg upgrades) / both legs, right?

Since I'm only able to reduce damage by 30 I'll need to look into how heavy I can go while still getting in multiple jumps.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Section Z posted:

Even with my swapping them out for small lasers, B Team member Epic thanks god for the moment we finally put together a Jenner and Panther and could retire their personal Locust. Instead of being cockteased by that 2/3 firestarter while the Spider was reserved for Dekker whenever he left the hospital.

Why would you put a pilot in a Locust.

What did they do to you, be a Kickstarter Backer?

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

Has anyone seen ER Lasers available to purchase in any stores? My Atlas lost the arm fitted with the stock ER L Laser and I haven't been able to replace it.

Additionally, looking for the named Heat Sinks for Assault mechs as well. I can only find the standard Heat Sinks but not Heat Sink (D).

hellfaucet fucked around with this message at 23:27 on May 3, 2018

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

ER Lasers are trash, replace them with real weapons that aren't made entirely of fire.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

KPC_Mammon posted:

Self damage is (mech's tonnage - leg upgrades) / both legs, right?

Since I'm only able to reduce damage by 30 I'll need to look into how heavy I can go while still getting in multiple jumps.

Yeah I think so.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

hellfaucet posted:

Has anyone seen ER Lasers available to purchase in any stores? My Atlas lost the arm fitted with the stock ER L Laser and I haven't been able to replace it.

Additionally, looking for the named Heat Sinks for Assault mechs as well. I can only find the standard Heat Sinks but not Heat Sink (D).

LosTech is LosTech, once it's destroyed you're boned.

Though technically for the latter there should be some dual heat sink prototypes roaming around in the Davion lands but they're basically married to the elite mech divisions until after Helm.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Night10194 posted:

ER Lasers are trash, replace them with real weapons that aren't made entirely of fire.

Yeah uh they are real bad. First thing you should do with them is take em off robots.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

hellfaucet posted:

Both ER Large and Heat Sink D are Lostech, and cannot be replaced if destroyed, no store will ever carry them, nor do I think they show up as salvage. Same with the guass rifle you get.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

TMMadman posted:

I had some weird crash that kept happening when trying to start the game until I restarted my computer.

Then the same thing happened the next day but the game started after I closed Firefox.

I think it's some sort of memory issue.

Edit - it was weird because the first day was before the patch and after I had played the game the previous day and then yesterday all I did was close Firefox and was able to start the game.

That happens to me as well. It will also gently caress with my ability to run other games or watch something windowed with VLC player. I have to restart my computer at least once a day because of the issue. I've been assuming its a memory issue as well.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

EoRaptor posted:

Both ER Large and Heat Sink D are Lostech, and cannot be replaced if destroyed, no store will ever carry them, nor do I think they show up as salvage. Same with the guass rifle you get.

Which is dang weird. I mean there should be SOME Lostech to be found, especially on old Star League worlds and whatnot, given how there are hints of that on some planets. Maybe incredibly hard to find and rare as all heck, but still.

I'm guessing its another thing that got cut for time, implementing how to get all that.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

TMMadman posted:

I had some weird crash that kept happening when trying to start the game until I restarted my computer.

Then the same thing happened the next day but the game started after I closed Firefox.

I think it's some sort of memory issue.

Edit - it was weird because the first day was before the patch and after I had played the game the previous day and then yesterday all I did was close Firefox and was able to start the game.

If you have an NVidia 960/70 or 1060/70, the latest driver is glitchy. Lots of folks have reported it suddenly not registering and forcing a reinstall. Reported fixes are downloading/installing directly from Nvidia rather than through GeForce Experience (currently trying this), or rolling back to a previous driver version.

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

Cool, yeah I guess I was just hopeful maybe they'd be available to find at some point. Guess I'm gonna have to farm mech salvage to get a surplus of LosTech mods for my Assault mechs.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

evilmiera posted:

Which is dang weird. I mean there should be SOME Lostech to be found, especially on old Star League worlds and whatnot, given how there are hints of that on some planets. Maybe incredibly hard to find and rare as all heck, but still.

I'm guessing its another thing that got cut for time, implementing how to get all that.

To be honest with how long you can ignore the main plot campaign getting new stuff once you get past 3030 would be nice. I think I'm on week 97 right now.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

So, just beat Victoria. Didn't lose any dudes, but I lost the punchy arm servo for my Dragon so I am sad. :( At least I have a Catapult K2 now.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

evilmiera posted:

They said in that dev ama recently that they're hoping to do some rebalancing (to make lostech energy weapons not total garbo) and also make it so you can get lostech outside of story missions.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

RabidWeasel posted:

They said in that dev ama recently that they're hoping to do some rebalancing (to make lostech energy weapons not total garbo) and also make it so you can get lostech outside of story missions.

I figured as much. Which is nice and good!

We'll see what comes of it. Glad it isn't happening immediately tho, since I'm still busy elsewhere. And Pillars 2 is coming out soon.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

If you don't want to wait you can edit the weapon .jsons to make them purchaseable and then edit the shop .jsons to include them yourself if it really bothers you. Make them as rare or common as you like. That said the listed stats for lostech besides the Gauss Rifle and DHS are hot garbage.

So you can also edit the stats on the lostech weapons. I like making the lostech lasers essentially +++ versions of themselves. Do it after Kamea's SLDF royal rumble if you don't want to make that mission too easy on you.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Xarbala posted:

If you don't want to wait you can edit the weapon .jsons to make them purchaseable and then edit the shop .jsons to include them yourself if it really bothers you. Make them as rare or common as you like. That said the listed stats for lostech besides the Gauss Rifle and DHS are hot garbage.

So you can also edit the stats on the lostech weapons. I like making the lostech lasers essentially +++ versions of themselves. Do it after Kamea's SLDF royal rumble if you don't want to make that mission too easy on you.

I'm way past the main mission, rocking King Crabs for entire lances and have reputation at allied with every single faction. Even the Combine, who you really have no reason to deal with most of the time. And the last time I tried to mess with mods I couldn't even start the game properly :(

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Night10194 posted:

It was the very start of the game, I had 3 healthy pilots, 3 working non locust mechs, and three on planet missions right there in front of me.

So I bought a 2/2/3/2 rookie, gave them a quick tour while I gave them the small mercy of waiting to customize my locust into something slightly less suicidal, and sent them on their way.

Their bravery let me earn an extra 500-600k within a period of 3 days curbstomping half skull content letting me end up with a net gain rather than net loss waiting around for the rest of my stuff to repair and heal. I still have no idea what I'll do for their ability skills, they still have a wishy washy 4 in everything right now.

But I expect now that they will never have to pilot a locust again they are doomed :v:

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
A random mission against pirates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_xVW2EsdD4

:smith:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

evilmiera posted:

I'm way past the main mission, rocking King Crabs for entire lances and have reputation at allied with every single faction. Even the Combine, who you really have no reason to deal with most of the time. And the last time I tried to mess with mods I couldn't even start the game properly :(

I'm not going to lie, it's super easy to run into that problem. imo the trick is to pay real fuckin close attention to making sure commas are where they need to be, and mostly just copy-paste code that's already there and edit what you are drat sure is just a name pointing to a particular file or asset you want modded in.

Shop .json files seem to be reloaded whenever you leave and enter a new system but I'm not sure if starsystem .jsons do that, or if they're defined at campaign start. Weapon .jsons seem to be loaded the instant you load a save so editing weapon values on the fly is easy (so easy that some nutbar nerfed small ACs to utter uselessness within days because Fidelity). Milestone .jsons are the most dangerous to gently caress with, in my experience, and I'm very uneasy about fiddling with anything in there.

I'm pretty sure SimGameConstants.json only loads on campaign start.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I really hope online skirmish values are unaffected by StreamingAssets/data .json fuckery

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
A discord I'm involved in for BATTLETECH modding is about to be releasing a mod manager for the game. Gonna take a few more days of testing and implementation probably but it'll help make sure manual mistakes don't mess stuff up when adding mods. A bunch of us other folks are working on mapping out how various data files are connected to each other so that we can write up quickstart guides for adding/modifying mechs and weapons and such.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Kenshin posted:

A discord I'm involved in for BATTLETECH modding is about to be releasing a mod manager for the game. Gonna take a few more days of testing and implementation probably but it'll help make sure manual mistakes don't mess stuff up when adding mods.

bless y'all

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

Xarbala posted:

bless y'all

Definitely #blessed

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Xarbala posted:

I'm not going to lie, it's super easy to run into that problem. imo the trick is to pay real fuckin close attention to making sure commas are where they need to be, and mostly just copy-paste code that's already there and edit what you are drat sure is just a name pointing to a particular file or asset you want modded in.

Shop .json files seem to be reloaded whenever you leave and enter a new system but I'm not sure if starsystem .jsons do that, or if they're defined at campaign start. Weapon .jsons seem to be loaded the instant you load a save so editing weapon values on the fly is easy (so easy that some nutbar nerfed small ACs to utter uselessness within days because Fidelity). Milestone .jsons are the most dangerous to gently caress with, in my experience, and I'm very uneasy about fiddling with anything in there.

This seems to be incorrect, as I've made changes to the store, contract generation and other bits of SimGameConstants that have applied on loaded games.

As for the rest, yes commas are super, super important. As well as interrelated arrays being of matching size. I just broke the AI and made it unable to move once combat started with one extra entry in an array that two others didn't have :v: And the UI didn't auto select move or sprint on my own turns, either. Weird one.

Kenshin posted:

A discord I'm involved in for BATTLETECH modding is about to be releasing a mod manager for the game. Gonna take a few more days of testing and implementation probably but it'll help make sure manual mistakes don't mess stuff up when adding mods. A bunch of us other folks are working on mapping out how various data files are connected to each other so that we can write up quickstart guides for adding/modifying mechs and weapons and such.

Any chance I could get an invite to this?

E:

:crossarms: So those passive bonuses actually do nothing?

Arrath fucked around with this message at 00:19 on May 4, 2018

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Xarbala posted:

Xarbala posted:

I really hope online skirmish values are unaffected by StreamingAssets/data .json fuckery

Shops are populated every time you jump to the system, no need to restart a campaign.

Online play only works if both players have the same (modded or vanilla) data files. So people can play modded games with each other.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Arrath posted:

Any chance I could get an invite to this?
https://discord.gg/8dSfSm

That code should last for a day, it's an open server and that particular channel is open and reasonably active.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Kenshin posted:

https://discord.gg/8dSfSm

That code should last for a day, it's an open server and that particular channel is open and reasonably active.

Awesome, thanks!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Arrath posted:

This seems to be incorrect, as I've made changes to the store, contract generation and other bits of SimGameConstants that have applied on loaded games.

As for the rest, yes commas are super, super important. As well as interrelated arrays being of matching size. I just broke the AI and made it unable to move once combat started with one extra entry in an array that two others didn't have :v: And the UI didn't auto select move or sprint on my own turns, either. Weird one.

Ah, okay.

Also this explains a lot.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

RabidWeasel posted:

A rediculously quick and probably quite good attempt to fix a lot of problems (movement / evasion generally not being great compared to Bulwark, lights being very quickly outclassed, sensor lock being underwhelming) would be to just make chevrons generate at double the rate, give them half the individual effect, and then doubling the effectiveness of sensor lock.

:toot: I think I have this working. Good news is the UI supports showing more than 6 pips without issue. The ticker showing your expected pips from movement doesn't quite line up with what you get once you move though, still working on that.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Night10194 posted:

I haven't done the first story mission yet, but my locust is the only unit with double digit mech kills. Mgs are good when applied to the rear end

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Night10194 posted:

I found a KS backer with a somewhat-reasonable backstory so I hired them as a sign of "you. you're alright."

now that I think about it this might be because the backstory is basically Blitz from Dragonfall, aka "hacker makes series of bad decisions, is hireable by you."

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

ded posted:

A random mission against pirates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_xVW2EsdD4

:smith:

Never let the Demolishers live long enough to get a shot off imo

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Pattonesque posted:

Demolisher reminding the crab it's got the same guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Pattonesque posted:

Prince, Pauper, God or Man, all are equal before the mighty Autocannon Twenty.