Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

xzzy posted:

Getting offended by it is the most terrible of terrible car stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Would

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
^That's cool because it's ridiculous.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I noticed the trim but chose to ignore it :argh:

It's not the trim, it's the door.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

xzzy posted:

Modifying ride height is a customization as old as cars themselves. Yes some people get silly with it but it's just a result of people trying to distinguish themselves from 100+ years of history.

Getting offended by it is the most terrible of terrible car stuff.

I'm not particularly offended by it at all I just think the people are morons really.

I understand lowering for performance ideals sure and I think tarmac spec rally cars look particularly nice but I just don't understand why you would want to lower it to the point that the tyres don't line up with the radius of the wheel arch or look like they don't fit at all.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

I love my bagged wagon even though every time I post it here someone asks why, but "because I wanted to" never seems to be a satisfactory answer.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Do what you want to your car, I really don't care, but it doesn't mean i can't have an opinion about it.

I think some mods are dumb, but then again I think some cars in their factory state are dumb to begin with anyway :v:

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Some years ago somebody in this (or a previous) thread posted some 70's vintage advertisements featuring a black, L.A based drag racer. One ad was just for car parts, but the other had the racer go something like "Kids, don't street race, go to the drag strip instead". I think he raced a highly modified Shelby GT500 (or Boss 429?). Does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about, or is it a figment of my imagination? I tried googling, but that didn't lead anywhere.

As thanks, here is a truck I saw in Prague.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Aargh posted:

I'm not particularly offended by it at all I just think the people are morons really.

I understand lowering for performance ideals sure and I think tarmac spec rally cars look particularly nice but I just don't understand why you would want to lower it to the point that the tyres don't line up with the radius of the wheel arch or look like they don't fit at all.

or having a car with dumb geometry and too low to take a basic loving turn at 3mph so you dont gently caress up your fenders and tires

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

DropShadow posted:

I love my bagged wagon even though every time I post it here someone asks why, but "because I wanted to" never seems to be a satisfactory answer.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

DID SOMEONE SAY LOWERED WAGONS, I THINK I HEARD SOMEONE SAY LOWERED WAGONS.

Needs to go lower, but I also need to get unlazy and finish rolling my fenders first.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I'm gonna be lowering my wagon here pretty soon, maybe a half an inch or so just to get rid of the wheel gap.

It will also help with reaching poo poo on my roof so that's a plus

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Elmnt80 posted:

Needs to go lower, but I also need to get unlazy and finish rolling my fenders first.

No I prefer my wagon at stock ride height

Aargh fucked around with this message at 08:16 on May 4, 2018

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Thing is, that's still probably usable on the road at that ride height.

What chassis is it on though? You wouldn't be able to get a Disco that low.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Am I the only one that don't like the gap between the wheel and fender to be too overtly uneven?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
On a Land Rover?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
In general on "stanced" cars.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Oh my god :o:

Elmnt80 posted:

Needs to go lower,

Can't improve on perfection, don't try

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Elmnt80 posted:

Oh god I want a lowered wagon, especially an e30.
I just want a jag or barra project more though.
There's an e34 wagon advertised in the eastern states for $2k, been there for 6 months, no one wants it because blown head gasket. It would be tempting but it's the other side of the country and if I can't drive back I'm not interested in eastern state cars. Also having an e34 sedan right now, they're just too drat heavy, like ford falcon heavy. Needs more cheap power upgrade options than bmw slants offer for low budgets. If something fits a barra though I'm happy to rip it out my ute and scrap the ute for something different.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 12:50 on May 4, 2018

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

This owns

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I'm gonna be lowering my wagon here pretty soon, maybe a half an inch or so just to get rid of the wheel gap.

It will also help with reaching poo poo on my roof so that's a plus
I have wheel gap and I kind of want to fill it with an oversized tire instead of lowering. :getin:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Cage posted:

I have wheel gap and I kind of want to fill it with an oversized tire instead of lowering. :getin:

Chunky offroad style tires on a cheap hatcback would look awesome and it's a thing I've wanted to see, but I don't have a cheap hatchback anymore.

Not sure how to deal with the fact that offroad tires on a commute suck.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Did somebody say lowered wagons?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

xzzy posted:

Chunky offroad style tires on a cheap hatcback would look awesome and it's a thing I've wanted to see, but I don't have a cheap hatchback anymore.

The chinese tire shops around here have a new tire that would look hilarious on a car.

I would imagine they howl like a bastard, but sacrifices have to be made for style some times

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Powershift posted:

The chinese tire shops around here have a new tire that would look hilarious on a car.

I would imagine they howl like a bastard, but sacrifices have to be made for style some times
They're a copy of the Simex Extreme Trekker, which became very popular for UK/Euro challenge events and the like, and there's quite a few cheap/remould copies floating around.

They probably will whirr a bit on the road, but I'm not sure they're any worse than any other aggressive mud tyre, and probably better than dumper tyres or Super Swamper Boggers.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Those are pretty impressive side lugs

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

xzzy posted:

I'll see if I can get a picture of the Jetta on BGF Mud Terrains at work.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv_T8MqjdOE

cool car, sounds great, lovely course that is somehow worse than a standard autocross course

hattersmad
Feb 21, 2015

In this style, 10/6
That compressor surge sounds like a pigeon call.

wwaaAAAHHHPSSHH *coo coo*

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

xzzy posted:

Well I have a mustang so not sure how you feel now. :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Cage posted:

Well I have a mustang so not sure how you feel now. :v:

Now is the point where someone posts those photos of a dude doing rallycross with a stingray.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

BraveUlysses posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv_T8MqjdOE

cool car, sounds great, lovely course that is somehow worse than a standard autocross course

Believe it or not, I've seen much worse. Like, the norm for super special/exhibition rally stages is poo poo like this:

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat
I always thought a Dodge Magnum R/T AWD with a 3 to 6 inch lift and oversized all terrain tires would be the perfect Midwest Winter-mobile

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

xzzy posted:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5188491-Non-Stanced-Rabbit

http://www.build-threads.com/build-threads/lifted-mkv-golf/

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Stop my penis can only get so erect.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Did somebody say lowered wagons?

As soon as this discussion started I was hoping, specifically, someone would come in with a lowered Forester on WRX wheels.

Because it's awesome.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Modus Man posted:

I always thought a Dodge Magnum R/T AWD with a 3 to 6 inch lift and oversized all terrain tires would be the perfect Midwest Winter-mobile

I did research into this when I had my charger. The front suspension knuckle is shaped such that you can't really upsize the tire more than 0.5" or so.
People talked me out of doing the lift, and correctly so given how ratty the car ended up being.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

I did research into this when I had my charger. The front suspension knuckle is shaped such that you can't really upsize the tire more than 0.5" or so.
People talked me out of doing the lift, and correctly so given how ratty the car ended up being.

The donk crowd makes stretched knuckles to overcome this flaw.

http://www.liftabrand.com/Product/dodge-charger-lift-kit-dodge-lift-kit/magnum-charger-300c-fabricated-extended-charger-platform-spind

Only good for RWD cars though.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
PANDAAAAAAS :awesome: