Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Foglet posted:

Do we have an elaboration on this? I backed 7S2e back in the day cause I thought I would care about the setting, and I kinda moved on since then.

He was writing separate combat systems for regular fighting and swordsmen dueling. Ran out of time to go to press in order to have print editions for convention, so just slammed the two together.

For comparison:

Regular Characters: Can do 1 Wound per Raise spent or avoid one Wound per Raise spent. Both come from the same pool.
Duelists: Can Slash for Wounds equal to their Weaponry skill, Bash to cause 1 Wound now and subtract their Weaponry skill in Wounds from the opponent's next attack's damage, Feint to deal 1 Wound now and one more the next time that enemy gets hit this round all at the cost of 1 Raise. Can avoid their Weaponry skill in Wounds for 1 Raise via Parry, or avoid their Weaponry in Wounds -and- deal their Weaponry in Wounds to the attacker once per round for 1 raise via Riposte. They can also opt to Lunge, spending all their Raises to deal Weaponry + Raises in Wounds that are unavoidable and unpreventable.

Those are the standard maneuvers every duelist can use. The rules say you can't use the same ability twice in a row, so for example you would have to Slash/Riposte/Feint/Slash/Bash for an efficient round that would use 5 raises (with starting Weaponry 3) deal 12 Wounds and prevent 6. Compare to the regular character with the same 5 raises being able to cause or prevent a total of 5 Wounds in that round.

Ends up with a combat system where swordsmen are more efficient damage dealers by a factor of at least 3 compared to other characters, and have a better way of negating incoming damage as well in Parry. If you're facing a swordsman enemy, your options are to either have one of your own who beats him on initiative (as he who Lunges first will likely win the day), or bring a crate full of pistols as those do a dramatic wound per shot instead of a wound per shot and cost 1 Raise to fire. Characters are rendered helpless if they take 4 Dramatic Wounds, so a couple guys with braces of pistols are the go-to solution to Duelists. This is supposed to be 'balanced' by guns taking 5 Raises to reload, but as in history, nobody in their right minds reloads a flintlock in close combat, you carry several and stuff them back in your sash when they're empty.

The justification is of course 'It's a narrative game, the combat doesn't need to be balanced!', which is absolutely shitballs when the game is about swashbuckling.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 15:32 on May 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I mean, I dunno, my group never had that much a problem with it. Our 'solution' to it was just that most heavy combat scenes were like 90% mooks who go down fast no matter who's doing the fighting and the proper duelist types are more for important NPCs, like how most swashbuckling kinda media handles that stuff.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

sexpig by night posted:

I mean, I dunno, my group never had that much a problem with it. Our 'solution' to it was just that most heavy combat scenes were like 90% mooks who go down fast no matter who's doing the fighting and the proper duelist types are more for important NPCs, like how most swashbuckling kinda media handles that stuff.

We played the intro adventure and the Villain at the end took down the whole party, because Wounds take long enough to heal that some bad rolls in a previous fight had us at a disadvantage that couldn't survive Feint/Lunge every round for 3-4 rounds. Hilarious lovely design note, Lunge as written makes Eisenfaust as a style pointless as you cannot -parry- a Lunge, meaning Iron Reply can't be used against it either.

If you're a Sabat stylist, Lunge is replaced with Sabat Gambit, which is Weaponry + Finesse + Raises, for ultimate cheese.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 15:46 on May 4, 2018

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Subjunctive posted:

I think they’re going to make it.

barely made it at just over ten times what they were looking for :sweatdrop:

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

Liquid Communism posted:

He was writing separate combat systems for regular fighting and swordsmen dueling. Ran out of time to go to press in order to have print editions for convention, so just slammed the two together.

For comparison:

Regular Characters: Can do 1 Wound per Raise spent or avoid one Wound per Raise spent. Both come from the same pool.
Duelists: Can Slash for Wounds equal to their Weaponry skill, Bash to cause 1 Wound now and subtract their Weaponry skill in Wounds from the opponent's next attack's damage, Feint to deal 1 Wound now and one more the next time that enemy gets hit this round all at the cost of 1 Raise. Can avoid their Weaponry skill in Wounds for 1 Raise via Parry, or avoid their Weaponry in Wounds -and- deal their Weaponry in Wounds to the attacker once per round for 1 raise via Riposte. They can also opt to Lunge, spending all their Raises to deal Weaponry + Raises in Wounds that are unavoidable and unpreventable.

Those are the standard maneuvers every duelist can use. The rules say you can't use the same ability twice in a row, so for example you would have to Slash/Riposte/Feint/Slash/Bash for an efficient round that would use 5 raises (with starting Weaponry 3) deal 12 Wounds and prevent 6. Compare to the regular character with the same 5 raises being able to cause or prevent a total of 5 Wounds in that round.

Ends up with a combat system where swordsmen are more efficient damage dealers by a factor of at least 3 compared to other characters, and have a better way of negating incoming damage as well in Parry. If you're facing a swordsman enemy, your options are to either have one of your own who beats him on initiative (as he who Lunges first will likely win the day), or bring a crate full of pistols as those do a dramatic wound per shot instead of a wound per shot and cost 1 Raise to fire. Characters are rendered helpless if they take 4 Dramatic Wounds, so a couple guys with braces of pistols are the go-to solution to Duelists. This is supposed to be 'balanced' by guns taking 5 Raises to reload, but as in history, nobody in their right minds reloads a flintlock in close combat, you carry several and stuff them back in your sash when they're empty.

The justification is of course 'It's a narrative game, the combat doesn't need to be balanced!', which is absolutely shitballs when the game is about swashbuckling.

Huh.

...are we talking 1e or 2e?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

2e. 1e was fine.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Liquid Communism posted:

2e. 1e was fine.

'Fine' is not how I'd describe 7th Sea (Original Flavor) mechanics, but it was borked in different places.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Yeah I had to make a No Full Duelists rule.

Does the asia supplement fix this?

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

My copy of Spire arrived today! Wootah

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mors Rattus posted:

'Fine' is not how I'd describe 7th Sea (Original Flavor) mechanics, but it was borked in different places.

I didn't look at 1E that closely, because I got hung up on chargen and everything cool seemed way too expensive.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Often far too expensive for its actual benefit - 1e had the opposite problem, where investing in sword tricks was flatly and completely inferior to just learning how to beat up a guy on basic level. Magic overall just sucked, for the most part. There were exceptions to both but not many. Also there was the Drama Dice xp problem.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Mors Rattus posted:

Often far too expensive for its actual benefit - 1e had the opposite problem, where investing in sword tricks was flatly and completely inferior to just learning how to beat up a guy on basic level. Magic overall just sucked, for the most part. There were exceptions to both but not many. Also there was the Drama Dice xp problem.

Ah magic. Having to spend XP (drama dice) to cast your spells was a horrible burden. Though my favorite character was Twice-Blooded so I was lovely at two kinds of magic (and could never advance for them to even be functional)

Memories

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Ugh, sudden cashflow problems mean I’ve had to cancel both my Miskatonic University and Dual Powers pledges as they both finish before I get paid next Friday. :argh:

Warthur
May 2, 2004

neaden posted:

You misunderstand. As an apology for both of their games being late, years ago Wallis and Skara both agreed to give their game to the others backers. So Far West backers get free Alas Vegas, and Vegas backers will one day get free Far West. So the only thing yet to ship for Vegas backers is their copy of Far West.
Don't you mean the only thing to ship for Far West backers is their copy of Alas Vegas?

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Warthur posted:

Don't you mean the only thing to ship for Far West backers is their copy of Alas Vegas?

No? He's saying that the only thing that backers of Alas, Vegas are waiting on is their free copy of Far West.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

The_Doctor posted:

Ugh, sudden cashflow problems mean I’ve had to cancel both my Miskatonic University and Dual Powers pledges as they both finish before I get paid next Friday. :argh:

If your credit card bounces you are given up to a week to make good with Kickstarter, happened to me with TORG Living Land.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Don't know how interested goons are in Level 99 Games, but they just launched Empyreal: Spells and Steam, which is the second L99 game from the guy who did Argent: The Consortium.

I like supporting that company (ever since I discovered Pixel Tactics in their Minigame Library), so I'm "onboard" for their train game.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The game looks fine but it really bothers me that a piece of the board just juts out like that. I don't know why the tiles aren't just hexes of hexes.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

JazzFlight posted:

Don't know how interested goons are in Level 99 Games, but they just launched Empyreal: Spells and Steam, which is the second L99 game from the guy who did Argent: The Consortium.

I like supporting that company (ever since I discovered Pixel Tactics in their Minigame Library), so I'm "onboard" for their train game.

I'm not generally interested in train games but I really love Argent and most of their other games are great too. I'm guessing that'll hold true here.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Leraika posted:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa I need this, too bad it'll probably never get translated

Make a kickstarter to hire a translator to do it. Get Terra the Gunslinger adapted as well as the crossover with the Tenra Bansho setting, Tenra War. Terra is steampunk western while Tenra War is set after the big war between the two and now aliens have arrived to do weird poo poo. If people keep doing this, Kadokawa (they're own the publishing company) will eventually have to consider making PoD English versions or something.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

HidaO-Win posted:

If your credit card bounces you are given up to a week to make good with Kickstarter, happened to me with TORG Living Land.

Hmmmmmm. That might be a solution then, thanks!

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

Hmmmmmm. That might be a solution then, thanks!

Do that for the Duel Powers Kickstarter, at least. That way I'll get nicer cards.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

rydiafan posted:

Do that for the Duel Powers Kickstarter, at least. That way I'll get nicer cards.

Did both! We'll get our nicer cards, comrade!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Xelkelvos posted:

Make a kickstarter to hire a translator to do it. Get Terra the Gunslinger adapted as well as the crossover with the Tenra Bansho setting, Tenra War. Terra is steampunk western while Tenra War is set after the big war between the two and now aliens have arrived to do weird poo poo. If people keep doing this, Kadokawa (they're own the publishing company) will eventually have to consider making PoD English versions or something.

This reminds me that Shinobigami's never been released and now I'm a little depressed.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

This reminds me that Shinobigami's never been released and now I'm a little depressed.

It's late, but it's still coming:

quote:

The PDF is almost done: We expect delivery of the finalized PDF to you backers within the next 4-6 weeks.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

malkav11 posted:

I'm not generally interested in train games but I really love Argent and most of their other games are great too. I'm guessing that'll hold true here.

It's not really a traditional train game anyway, routes are abstracted (to an extent). I've been playtesting it, so if you have any questions, just feel free to ask, though the game is likely subject to some change before the actual release.

It's an open playtest, so it's not covered by any of the usual playtesting NDA concerns.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It's not really a traditional train game anyway, routes are abstracted (to an extent). I've been playtesting it, so if you have any questions, just feel free to ask, though the game is likely subject to some change before the actual release.

It's an open playtest, so it's not covered by any of the usual playtesting NDA concerns.

Is it, in your opinion, a good game? Let's say I'm a huge, enthusiastic fan of Argent: the Consortium, would this be a game worth looking into?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

How's it play with two? I mostly stick to solo/two-player games.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Lemon-Lime posted:

It's late, but it's still coming:

Plus it's only about six months overdue at this stage. It was always projected for winter 2017.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Plus there's an official Tabletop Sim playtest module.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

spectralent posted:

Plus it's only about six months overdue at this stage. It was always projected for winter 2017.

quote:

ESTIMATED DELIVERY
Nov 2016

I was really looking forward to that game back in 2015. I think maybe a year ago or so I checked the kickstarter to see what was up with it and there was an update about how progress had stalled because he was afraid of North Korea and, really, I also live and work in Japan and that is a really bad excuse.

Edit: I like everything else they've done in creating English editions so I'm just disappointed about the state of it.

Cinnamon Bear fucked around with this message at 04:13 on May 6, 2018

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
Buy gold.
The Ryuutama expansion book is way overdue as well.

(Also every other update is "I promise NOW I'll start communicating regularly" and then there's another half year of radio silence)

Foglet fucked around with this message at 04:28 on May 6, 2018

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Cinnamon Bear posted:

I was really looking forward to that game back in 2015. I think maybe a year ago or so I checked the kickstarter to see what was up with it and there was an update about how progress had stalled because he was afraid of North Korea and, really, I also live and work in Japan and that is a really bad excuse.

Edit: I like everything else they've done in creating English editions so I'm just disappointed about the state of it.

Huuuh weird. My pledge says Nov 2017.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

spectralent posted:

Huuuh weird. My pledge says Nov 2017.

The core book + pdf were supposed to be released in Nov 2016 with the Core + Expansion Book expected by Nov 2017. Not a huge deal but I just wanted to point out there its a lot longer than six months overdue when you consider we don't even have the core book.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Cinnamon Bear posted:

The core book + pdf were supposed to be released in Nov 2016 with the Core + Expansion Book expected by Nov 2017. Not a huge deal but I just wanted to point out there its a lot longer than six months overdue when you consider we don't even have the core book.

Aah, that'd explain it.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Weren't they supposed to release a supplement for TBZ with the mass combat rules, too?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Kai Tave posted:

Is it, in your opinion, a good game? Let's say I'm a huge, enthusiastic fan of Argent: the Consortium, would this be a game worth looking into?

Well, it's a big change for Level 99, I think, because it's one of the few that occur at the strategic level of things. A lot of the Indines (Level 99's setting, which I've documented extensively elsewhere) games are kind of characterized by feeling like you can tell a sort of narrative with them, and this is more divorced into resource management and timing. So that's probably the biggest divergence that if you've been playing BattleCON or Argent, it doesn't necessarily have the same personal feel. (For the record, I've won tournaments and contests involving L99, playtest for them, and communicate from them time to time, just as disclosure.)

That being said, I've been enjoying it. It plays pretty quickly once you get a handle on it, though I admit it probably took me about a half-dozen games to really start wrapping my head to start handling things like placement, timing, and handling conflict. It's pretty good about using the L99 signature of having different factions and some random elements that change the situation up and often keep games from going the same way or having a single dominant strategy, much like Argent does. It isn't quite as strongly themed as Argent, but it is definitely informed by the setting.

Right now my biggest concerns with the game are balance and conflict - right now, some combinations of companies (your faction) and specialists (the crew you pick up to run the company) can really bend the game. In addition, some companies have innate ways to interfere with the ability of other companies to gather goods for delivery by removing them the board, and being up against them can result in some badfeel because it doesn't feel like you can do much against them. Hopefully all of this will shake out through playtesting, and the big public playtest at least gives me confidence some of the game's rougher edges will be cleaned up.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Did I miss any discussion on this thing?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/alterego-games/the-faceless?ref=wx87bx

It just popped up on my Facebook feed today, and looks unique. But unique isn't always good; there's a difference between gimmicky and inspired.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
Buy gold.

rydiafan posted:

Did I miss any discussion on this thing?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/alterego-games/the-faceless?ref=wx87bx

It just popped up on my Facebook feed today, and looks unique. But unique isn't always good; there's a difference between gimmicky and inspired.

Their English is messy, their website is messier ("semi-finished" would be charitable; neither "rulebook" nor "lore" entries linked from the Kickstarter page seem to be working), and the overall art style of every human looking like a two-year-old isn't my thing.
But apparently the funding campaign worked out just fine for them, so there's that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Only because the initial target was a very low marker, especially for board game costs on the production scale they’re talking about. I’d be inclined to think no-one’s ever seeing a game.