Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

KPC_Mammon posted:

I've found leg mods that give - 10 and - 20 DFA self damage.

Is there a decent DFA build with these? My first thought is putting both of them on a Firestarter armed with four small lasers or machine guns. I'm having trouble finding the tonnage for six.

This is all from a few pages back, but somewhere recently in this thread someone posted the actual Death From Above self-damage formula -- it was something like tonnage divided by two or something but there was more to it than that. I've looked through the thread and can't find it any more.

Anyone have it ready to hand and willing to repost it? I've found two -20 DFA self damage mods and I'm trying to figure out the max tonnage I can immunize from DFA damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

also, i think we may be the baddies

I kind of wish they went a bit harder in that direction. They start going that way but very quickly the grieving dad becomes the world's most enthusiastic war criminal which kind of takes the wind out of what might have been some neat moral ambiguity.

edit: disclaimer - Im' not all the way through the story so if they juke hard back in that direction I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
god drat it game what do you mean i could get mech salvage from that mission

:argh:

i'm visualizing the lance stuffing mech parts in their mech pockets

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Managed to salvage the battlemaster in that mission. So I went from only garbage tier heavies with 1 Jaeger and some quickdraws to two assaults. Feels good.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Bohemian Nights posted:

You could land your dropship ANYWHERE but you choose to land it here. Thank friend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS6tbWdnSZ8

I don't understand someone would let this happen. The game literally tells you where the dropship will land on maps that have one coming in, both for reinforcements and extraction, by changing the cursor marker on the dropship spaces when moving. Instead of just a pure white circle that you move too, the circle will change and include a bunch of red in it and if you look around it actually says that a dropship will land there at some point.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

GreyjoyBastard posted:

god drat it game what do you mean i could get mech salvage from that mission

:argh:

i'm visualizing the lance stuffing mech parts in their mech pockets

I went through that whole mission viciously coring things assuming there was no way they'd give me salvage on it :smith:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Bohemian Nights posted:

You could land your dropship ANYWHERE but you choose to land it here. Thank friend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS6tbWdnSZ8

There's a giant warning sign on the terrain when you wanted to move your mech there that says something pretty explicit to the effect of "this is a dropship landing zone and any mech in the area will be at risk for imminent destruction"

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

TMMadman posted:

I don't understand someone would let this happen. The game literally tells you where the dropship will land on maps that have one coming in, both for reinforcements and extraction, by changing the cursor marker on the dropship spaces when moving. Instead of just a pure white circle that you move too, the circle will change and include a bunch of red in it and if you look around it actually says that a dropship will land there at some point.

given how many people are complaining about it (and the fact that they say that in the next patch they intend to make it even more super obvious :v: ) i feel like there has to be some sort of display bug that SOME of those folks are having

they can't all be both colorblind and dyslexic

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

GreyjoyBastard posted:

given how many people are complaining about it (and the fact that they say that in the next patch they intend to make it even more super obvious :v: ) i feel like there has to be some sort of display bug that SOME of those folks are having

Not impossible, one mission last night my mechs were all inexplicably hot pink

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I know the game routinely doesn't mention radiation or mineral deposits to me at the least.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
It’s funny how the game goes from hard to easy. My endgame lance is a scout grasshopper with butt coring, a highlander with gauss + Stab damage ppc + lrm 20+15 a stalker with 80 racks of missiles and a king crab.

Unless the game chucks three lances of pure assaults at me nothing is scary because I can core out two mechs a turn and leave another two laying down.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
When exactly do grasshoppers start showing up? I've never even seen one

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I had one as the bait on one of the it's a trap! missions.

(Three star)

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

They’re a 70 ton heavy. The game can be super random with what you see. I only saw a cataphract after I was running 3 assaults but a grasshopper was one of my first heavies

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

tactlessbastard posted:

I had one as the bait on one of the it's a trap! missions.

(Three star)

Yeah, the Trap and Bait and Assassinate missions seem to have a decent chance at higher-quality mechs, i've been prioritizing them.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Ive been running the melee dragon; full armor, large laser ++, a medium laser, two small lasers (for bonus melee damage), four jumpjets, and a few heatsinks, and a gyro ++, with my MC Gladiator with high piloting and it kicks rear end. I cant wait to get some melee dmg mods to replace the small and medium lasers. Does anyone know a system that tends to have them?
Generally ive been finding it pretty useful to downgrade some of the stock build weaponry for the sake of full armor on almost all the stock builds, for example the trebuchet with two LRM10s instead of 15s and full armor holds its own against heavies

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

Yeah, the Trap and Bait and Assassinate missions seem to have a decent chance at higher-quality mechs, i've been prioritizing them.

Unless you're me and they only ever have heavy vehicles as the bait.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

TMMadman posted:

Sometimes all of the warnings in the world aren't enough.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Finally beat the dropship mission, great idea with the Dragon lance and just physically assaulting every mech in sight.

Also: Bonus backshots on the Catapult and ended up coring her mech when she was shutdown with called shots. Knocked the arms off the Centurion and the Dragon in her lance and chased them around for a couple turns as they seem to have lost all their weapons

I ended up falling into an ambush in one and had to reload, got jumped by like 6 quickdraws and some 90 ton missile boat.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

ded posted:

A random mission against pirates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_xVW2EsdD4

:smith:

Oh my god Glitch's reaction..

50 hours and i've never heard that before :smith:

Your sin was to make glitch that sad, and playing that awful music of course.

Gejnor fucked around with this message at 15:33 on May 4, 2018

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
When I lost Behemoth, nobody reacted even a little bit beyond a very generic status report that a mech was down.

I don't think Behemoth was popular with the crew.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

All my starting mechwarriors are now deader than poo poo. Had a long string of bad luck with head shots, even had one of them eject once, but in the end I'm now stuck with a bunch of losers.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

mlmp08 posted:

When I lost Behemoth, nobody reacted even a little bit beyond a very generic status report that a mech was down.

I don't think Behemoth was popular with the crew.

Yeah on my ship she wouldn't shut the gently caress up during movie night and the whole team lost a point of morale.

shas
Jul 27, 2011

tactlessbastard posted:

Not impossible, one mission last night my mechs were all inexplicably hot pink

I had this and assume it was to do with alt tabbing (as I do that a bunch)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Flavius Belisarius posted:

Yeah on my ship she wouldn't shut the gently caress up during movie night and the whole team lost a point of morale.

MST3k isn't for everyone :(

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I just cleared Panzyr. How do you get access to all the travel restricted areas? Do you need reputation with the faction, or is it gated behind story progress?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

This is all from a few pages back, but somewhere recently in this thread someone posted the actual Death From Above self-damage formula -- it was something like tonnage divided by two or something but there was more to it than that. I've looked through the thread and can't find it any more.

Anyone have it ready to hand and willing to repost it? I've found two -20 DFA self damage mods and I'm trying to figure out the max tonnage I can immunize from DFA damage.

KPC_Mammon posted:

Self damage is (mech's tonnage - leg upgrades) / both legs, right?

Since I'm only able to reduce damage by 30 I'll need to look into how heavy I can go while still getting in multiple jumps.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

I've only seen one (in some weird crater lake kill-the-smuggler mission that made me REALLY wish I had brought more jump jet mechs) and have been hoping for another chance the last ~10 missions.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I just cleared Panzyr. How do you get access to all the travel restricted areas? Do you need reputation with the faction, or is it gated behind story progress?

Storyline progress.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
I haven't bothered so far building reputation. Is it worth it to forgo salvage or money for it? Which factions should I try to impress and what's a good amount of reputation?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Flavius Belisarius posted:

I haven't bothered so far building reputation. Is it worth it to forgo salvage or money for it? Which factions should I try to impress and what's a good amount of reputation?

It's not really a thing you should care much about, missions requiring rep are typically only going to be along the major house border planets, and you can't even go to the house areas until after finishing the campaign.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Ah, ok --

so, with two -20 damage mods, I can immunize a 40 ton mech from DFA damage? So that's a . . . ugh, a Cicada.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Beating the story unlocks the entire map.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Ah, ok --

so, with two -20 damage mods, I can immunize a 40 ton mech from DFA damage? So that's a . . . ugh, a Cicada.

Yeah I don't think the intention was to be able to build something with the capacity for free DoAs

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Ah, ok --

Legs are one of the most heavily armored parts of the mech. I too was worried about taking any DFA damage but it turns out one shotting an opposing mech and taking 20 damage on each leg is worth it.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Finally beat Smithon by camping behind the big rock to the right of the starting point and quickly picking off enemy mechs that peeked around the corner.

God that mission was annoying.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
My team: Kintaro, Centurion, Dragon, Quickdraw

Enemy team: Griffin, Griffin, Grasshopper, Cicada, Orion, Jenner, all spawning close enough to engage together (not as reinforcements). Well, okay. Turns out the solution was to funnel them through a pass and punch them to death one by one.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Yeah I don't think the intention was to be able to build something with the capacity for free DoAs

What I'm hearing is I need to find -30 DFA damage mods

KPC_Mammon posted:

Legs are one of the most heavily armored parts of the mech. I too was worried about taking any DFA damage but it turns out one shotting an opposing mech and taking 20 damage on each leg is worth it.

Which medium mechs have the most support weapon hardpoints then?

or maybe I'll just go with a Dragon

edit: going by this

https://battletech.gamepedia.com/Dragon_DRG-1N

looks like dragons do 40 damage to self on a DFA, so two -20's should be infinite jumpiness

I'll test it out and report back

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 4, 2018

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Are DFA more likely to hit the head, like in the tabletop game?

I don't totally remember the mechanics in tabletop but I dimly remember it being a strategy that either REALLY worked or REALLY did not (miss, fall over etc.) so it was sort of scary to resort to it on the regular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

What I'm hearing is I need to find -30 DFA damage mods

Which medium mechs have the most support weapon hardpoints then?

or maybe I'll just go with a Dragon

Cicada C3 but I'm pretty sure the Firestarter has higher damage potential.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 16:34 on May 4, 2018