Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
Is there any way to view contracts in other systems without going there first? I'd like to do a bunch of assassinations or traps to fill out my heavy collection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

On multiple people's ignore list
well, not yours obviously.

anyway, in the clan-sphere thing i see parallels to eras like the invasion of the minoans and myceneans by what we now take to be the greeks, or the crusader states biting into the exposed flank of the islamic world, or the mongols eating half of china and then trying to handle the south.

like, these are interesting settings, occupied by exclusively by humans (and not, say, only gods and monsters) and they produce cool and good things: one gave us the iliad, another gave us crusader kings, and the third gave us pokemon.

Soup du Journey fucked around with this message at 18:12 on May 4, 2018

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future
I feel like I have no idea how to successfully use called shot. It always seems to be pointlessly low percentage chance to hit. What am I doing wrong?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Wolve's Dragoons are the better Clanners :colbert:

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the creators didn't intend for people to approve of the Clans and idealize their philosophies and culture.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

ded posted:

You dare put hate on Bowie? Go to Dekker hell.

Dekker is already in hell, and so am I :unsmigghh:

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

BitterAvatar posted:

I feel like I have no idea how to successfully use called shot. It always seems to be pointlessly low percentage chance to hit. What am I doing wrong?
use it to poke a hole into an important torso section and then follow up with missiles. important torso sections would be: a section with ammo for a weapon you want to knock out, a section with a scary weapon (ac/20!) or attached to an arm with a scary weapon (when the torso blows, the arm falls off), or just the central torso if you want to core the mech with a follow-up barrage

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

The clan poo poo looks dumb as gently caress if you were only ever exposed to it from the inner sphere side of things. In the books and most of the IS-focused lore stuff they're this mysterious force that no one knows about and then they figure out that oh poo poo it's basically the return of the SLDF and hey they've got super weapons and are really loving good at war how do we stop them from overrunning us? Then they stick in the clan breeding programs out of the blue and everything looks like a bunch of war nuts with a hard on for crafting genetically perfect warriors which is . . . problematic as gently caress.

The thing is that if you read up on the (much less available, much less leaned on in most places) lore surrounding what actually happened to the SLDF after it left known space poo poo makes a LOT more sense. The tl;dr is that they basically kill themselves in a series of awful civil wars and then end up settled on some really lovely planets with basically zero resources. All of that dumb poo poo, from the focus on improving their genetic stock to the ritualized combat where you bid away resources, is a set of survival mechanisms to try to make the absolute most out of what little they have. They've got an insane hard on for efficiency because waste is literally an existential problem for them. In a lot of ways it's more closely modeled on the kind of ritualized warfare you can find in tribal societies living on the knife's edge of subsistence. You need to hash out this problem that people are wiling to kill each other over, but you also need to limit the amount of damage that can be caused because at the end of the day we're all going to die if all the farmers or whatever kill each other over that patch of dirt.

That's without even getting into the actual political divisions in the clans. You've basically got a faction of nutters who want to invade the inner sphere and reclaim all those resources from the barbarians who are making GBS threads it up and a faction of people who want to build the society they've got and maybe re-introduce themselves to the IS at a later date with an eye towards mediating their fights and peacefully recreating the Star League. The fanatics are the driving force behind the invasion which, again, goes a long way towards explaining how it's all written in most of the sources that people are familiar with. Seriously, imagine if in Star Trek the Vulcans and the Klingons were two factions of the same government and how they act this episode is entirely dependent on who's in charge at the moment.

So yeah, the clans can get pretty dumb and god knows they attract a certain type of idiotic player but it's not QUITE as stupid as it all first appears.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

BitterAvatar posted:

Crank your tactics up. Eventually you can get to a near 1 in 5 chance of a head shot.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Called shot also raises the general to-hit chance a bit. It's great for taking what would be a marginal, 50% hit chance long range AC20 attack and making it into an 80% or better chance to hit.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

BitterAvatar posted:

The percentage on the paper doll isn't your hit chance, merely the chance to successfully hit that spot vs the others. That said, your facing matters (easier to hit right side parts if you're on their right side) and tactics points will level up your called shot accuracies. Eventually you should be seeing accuracy as high as 80% on torso or legs. Head caps a bit less than 20, but that's often an instant kill.

When the odds are good, it's a good tool to knock out priority locations (like the HBK-4P shoulder) or to capitalise on a damaged location.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

BitterAvatar posted:

The chance to hit is the chance that the hit location will be there, not the chance to hit in general. Also, body parts still block shots; trying to call a shot on the left torso when you're to the right of the target is hard.

E; fb

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

The Saddest Robot posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the creators didn't intend for people to approve of the Clans and idealize their philosophies and culture.
no, but a well-crafted villain is always relatable. they certainly put a lot of thought into why they did this or that when organizing themselves after exile, so that seems to have been a goal.

my first encounter with battletech and the clans came by way of mw2, and i was on a real dune kick at the time, so i read the clans to be kind of similar to the fremen in the way they organized themselves. super strict and super ritualized, because literally any little fuckup can wreck the sietch.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

BitterAvatar posted:

Max tactics first so you have a bonus to it

Target side torsos to blow up ammo, injure pilots, and bypass arm armor

Once the mech is knocked down, target the other side torso until the stand up

Then target legs for another quick knockdown

If everything goes right, three free mech parts

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
the clans are an rpg concept from the 80s that weren't particularly well thought out on delivery and proceeded to age like rear end, not least due to the Wow Cool Robot factor

in other words, they were an rpg concept from the 80s

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

What. Do arms come off if you blow out the side torso they are attached to?

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
^^^^Yup, they sure do!

BitterAvatar posted:

Depends on what you are trying to do. Its useful for legging mechs if you don't have enough stability damage to just push them over. Legs are big enough targets that you'll usually land some shots if you aim at them. I use it a lot for targeting side torsos for pilot damage/ammo explosions/blowing off arms. Remember that the percentage shown on the called shot paper doll is the percent to hit that specific component and is separate from your overall chance to hit. Using missile weapons will increase the chance to hit the component you are aiming for since they roll for each missile. Precision shot also knocks the targeted mech back one pip of initiative so if you do leg it you have more chances to shoot at the downed mech with your lancemates.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I think Btech doesn't translate well to Mechwarrior.

Like moving is supposed to make you harder to hit, called shots are supposed to be hard but with mouse and keyboard you can just hit CT over and over again on a moving mech

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Soup du Journey posted:

there's a game dev reading this thread, so i'm actually gonna double down and go to bat for the kkklans here for a bit. not singling you out or nothing, but i'll target this post again since it touches on something that a lot of folks seem to look past

i'm no lore hound (so i could be getting a point or three wrong), but the difference between the clans and sphere seems to be that the clans ritualize their fights, which conceptually can make them stronger, since it limits damage and maintains at least the veneer of consensus.

some dude upthread was talking about how stupid the clan bidding system was, because overwhelming force is better for minimizing losses: instead of two evenly-matched sides both bloodying each other, uneven matchups result in one side getting wrecked and the other walking off more or less unscathed. but that misses the point entirely: a bidding system is less efficient in the short term, but much more so in the long view, as it disincentivizes total war or revanchism. you get both sides agreeing to the terms before the fight, and both agree (on the surface, at least) to honor the results; then they cast the dice and see where they land.

if your interest is in making sure that france and germany more or less cooperate, instead of pissing away millions of lives over alsace-lorraine, then that kind of cultural more is not the worst way of accomplishing your goal. the interesting thing about the clans is that you can make sense of how their society functions, even if it's a little alien to the feudal mire of the inner sphere. their invasion then is a clash of ideas as well as punchbots, and that makes for a really fertile setting.

a facile reading that takes them to be the SS in space, and nothing more, would be a missed opportunity. if we go that route, we may as well just make them totally alien pain-freaks and call them the yuuzhan vong.

The clans are actually hypocrites who game their bidding system in such a way that ensures they waste more materiel than necessary, especially compared to the post-successor Wars inner sphere powers. They just shunt the cost of it to the vast majority of their populations, the laborers and technicians who keep their toumans stocked and functional. They claim to have developed a conlang designed to maximize efficiency in verbal communication yet forbid the use of contractions, the natural manifestation of efficiency in verbal language, and that's a microcosm for the clans in a nutshell.

Basically they're idiots.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Shadowhawk, Kintaro, or Centurion as an SRM/ML brawler? I've been using Shadowhawks in this role but the others seem good too.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

What. Do arms come off if you blow out the side torso they are attached to?

if that's the case that explains why I usually get both of them when I LRM boat someone's shoulder off

in unrelated news, man, the trebuchet. not a super-great 2 LRM20 platform. i mean, you can, but someone looks at this thing funny and bad times inbound

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I believe that the shots you do also gravitate towards your called target even if they don't hit it. So targeting the head with say LRMs will put a lot of shots into the torso and almost none in the legs. Could be mistaken tho

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
The clans not making much internal sense is the most realistic thing about the setting, people don't make sense.

A list of things that are outlawed is a list of things that society sees often enough it needs to outlaw them, etc.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

I believe that the shots you do also gravitate towards your called target even if they don't hit it. So targeting the head with say LRMs will put a lot of shots into the torso and almost none in the legs. Could be mistaken tho

Called shots work kinda like the board game in that way: You call the shot, and basically your rolls are for chances to hit your called target, but you still get to re-roll to see where 'Missed' shots hit or if they hit at all.

It does raise your chance of hitting the called target, but is in no way a guarantee.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Max tactics first so you have a bonus to it

Or just aim for the center torso if it's a non-easy fight and you don't care about that mech model. (Though even just for $ it's better to have mech chunks highly-represented in salvage list, whether or not you want another Griffin or whatever)

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

The clan poo poo looks dumb as gently caress if you were only ever exposed to it from the inner sphere side of things. In the books and most of the IS-focused lore stuff they're this mysterious force that no one knows about and then they figure out that oh poo poo it's basically the return of the SLDF and hey they've got super weapons and are really loving good at war how do we stop them from overrunning us? Then they stick in the clan breeding programs out of the blue and everything looks like a bunch of war nuts with a hard on for crafting genetically perfect warriors which is . . . problematic as gently caress.

The thing is that if you read up on the (much less available, much less leaned on in most places) lore surrounding what actually happened to the SLDF after it left known space poo poo makes a LOT more sense. The tl;dr is that they basically kill themselves in a series of awful civil wars and then end up settled on some really lovely planets with basically zero resources. All of that dumb poo poo, from the focus on improving their genetic stock to the ritualized combat where you bid away resources, is a set of survival mechanisms to try to make the absolute most out of what little they have. They've got an insane hard on for efficiency because waste is literally an existential problem for them. In a lot of ways it's more closely modeled on the kind of ritualized warfare you can find in tribal societies living on the knife's edge of subsistence. You need to hash out this problem that people are wiling to kill each other over, but you also need to limit the amount of damage that can be caused because at the end of the day we're all going to die if all the farmers or whatever kill each other over that patch of dirt.

That's without even getting into the actual political divisions in the clans. You've basically got a faction of nutters who want to invade the inner sphere and reclaim all those resources from the barbarians who are making GBS threads it up and a faction of people who want to build the society they've got and maybe re-introduce themselves to the IS at a later date with an eye towards mediating their fights and peacefully recreating the Star League. The fanatics are the driving force behind the invasion which, again, goes a long way towards explaining how it's all written in most of the sources that people are familiar with. Seriously, imagine if in Star Trek the Vulcans and the Klingons were two factions of the same government and how they act this episode is entirely dependent on who's in charge at the moment.

So yeah, the clans can get pretty dumb and god knows they attract a certain type of idiotic player but it's not QUITE as stupid as it all first appears.
To be honest, that doesn't sound dumb at all. It's actually pretty interesting.

And regarding the clans being ~problematic~, they're cast as villains aren't they? Is the complaint that the villains are too villanous?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I like the Clans's whole eugenics/caste/ritualistic combat thing, it makes them come off as culturally alien and makes them more "sci-fi" compared to the IS' Space Feudalism. Plus, reading the wiki, it sounds like they're a lot more disunified than it seems at first, and I'm pretty sure, like, half of them include a "this Clan has a less rigid society than others" caveat.

I'm sure part of it is that my entire knowledge of BTech before this one comes from Invasion/post-Invasion games and also because Clan mechs look more cooler.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Xarbala posted:

Basically they're idiots.

In fairness this is 'everyone in Battletech ever'.

The Clans are idiots.
The Successor States are idiots.
The Periphery are idiots.
Mercenaries are idiots.
uhhhh who else...
The Star League were idiots.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Clans are dumb but I hope HBS retcons everything and makes them not dumb because an invasion of the IS is cool before the clans made it dumb

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Phi230 posted:

Clans are dumb but I hope HBS retcons everything and makes them not dumb because an invasion of the IS is cool before the clans made it dumb
Maybe drop the totem animals thing.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Well, I won't harp on the dumb clan lore as someone already pointed out, it's dumb poo poo from the 80s. I'm just glad we aren't forced into playing Clan Smoke Ice Frog ubermensch.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Mordja posted:

I like the Clans's whole eugenics/caste/ritualistic combat thing, it makes them come off as culturally alien and makes them more "sci-fi" compared to the IS' Space Feudalism. Plus, reading the wiki, it sounds like they're a lot more disunified than it seems at first, and I'm pretty sure, like, half of them include a "this Clan has a less rigid society than others" caveat.

PTN's Battletech LP has been pretty good about highlighting the differences between the Clans. It's also an alternate timeline, so the Clan invasion has come early and also gone in a wildly different direction than the original canon.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
There's nothing sci-fi about battletech. Everything is steeped in the shut-in tabletop gamer's idea of world war 1 if von braun was born 50 years earlier.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Ersatz posted:

Maybe drop the totem animals thing.
Absolutely not, now read my 3000 page fanfic about my Clan Downsy Dolphins.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Zigmidge posted:

There's nothing sci-fi about battletech. Everything is steeped in the shut-in tabletop gamer's idea of world war 1 if von braun was born 50 years earlier.
I have some bad news for you about a lot of sci-fi.

VVV lol

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

pangstrom posted:

I have some bad news for you about a lot of sci-fi.

As a fan all I can say is: tell me about it...

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Battletech lore in a single sentence: People are dumb, selfish assholes.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Phi230 posted:

To be fair: The solution to the Clans was the IS basically realizing: "Oh gently caress, we have to actually do something together to combat this."

The clans ended up being bringers of unit, but not in the way they thought they would, but by causing the IS to actually band together to combat a common foe.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Does it have lasers? It's sci-fi.
Does it not have lasers? It's not sci-fi.

:colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
i own this game on GOG galaxy and the most recent update is taking forevvverrrrrrr to install. is this normal or should i restart / reinstall / something else