Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
in before the meaningful mention that metal is multi-platform

also supporting known heavyweight game seller "the mac"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

• people want to write an engine once and use it in places that aren't an iphone. this is a reasonable desire.

please name another platform or api where this is true

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Spent a good portion of today trying to get bits and pieces of my model-viewer ported to WebAssembly, namely the slow bits that are done during scene setup (Yaz0 decompression, image deswizzling and decoding, vertex loading). The end result is about 2x slower than the JS JIT. I tried both a gcc-powered version, and then tried a hand-written version -- both were slow. I'm not using any glibc.

These are "DSP" like functions which have a src buffer and a dst buffer and just do some sort of large transformation that's mostly buffer copies, so you would think it would be a slam-dunk for WASM where I would get predictable and tight "inner loop" performance but nah it can't even do that correctly.

Firefox tells me I'm on a "slow entry trampoline" but not why, so I'm on some sort of slow path already for unknown reasons -- the source code suggests that trying to use SIMD causes the WASM not to be JIT-compiled (???) but I'm not using anything SIMD. Somehow according to the profiler I'm also spending a 0.5s in the GC. I *do* have to create a large linear heap for the WASM to run in (it's impossible rn to specify two separate heaps which would be super helpful since I can pass the src/dst buffers in separately) so there's two memcpy's instead of zero, but somehow it adds up to 0.5s of GC. I'm allocating 8MB of short-lived heap objects, which, sure, is a lot, but these things aren't going to be moving around (they don't live outside the function so they should be super quick to free in the short-lived arena), and they aren't growing while the WASM is running, so how a browser can spend 0.5s GCing in here bewilders me.

So, yeah. Basically exactly the wet fart in terms of performance I expected, with half-assed implementations that interact poorly with the JS interpreter. It's probably a win if you're Google and your cross-compiled browser Java inexplicably already takes 5 seconds to show a text-only email.

The next generation in web development is here.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

pokeyman posted:

also supporting known heavyweight game seller "the mac"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37YY25vvYho&hd=1

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

Suspicious Dish posted:

half-assed implementations

seems about right for webdev, then?

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Suspicious Dish posted:

Spent a good portion of today trying to get bits and pieces of my model-viewer ported to WebAssembly, namely the slow bits that are done during scene setup (Yaz0 decompression, image deswizzling and decoding, vertex loading). The end result is about 2x slower than the JS JIT. I tried both a gcc-powered version, and then tried a hand-written version -- both were slow. I'm not using any glibc.

These are "DSP" like functions which have a src buffer and a dst buffer and just do some sort of large transformation that's mostly buffer copies, so you would think it would be a slam-dunk for WASM where I would get predictable and tight "inner loop" performance but nah it can't even do that correctly.

Firefox tells me I'm on a "slow entry trampoline" but not why, so I'm on some sort of slow path already for unknown reasons -- the source code suggests that trying to use SIMD causes the WASM not to be JIT-compiled (???) but I'm not using anything SIMD. Somehow according to the profiler I'm also spending a 0.5s in the GC. I *do* have to create a large linear heap for the WASM to run in (it's impossible rn to specify two separate heaps which would be super helpful since I can pass the src/dst buffers in separately) so there's two memcpy's instead of zero, but somehow it adds up to 0.5s of GC. I'm allocating 8MB of short-lived heap objects, which, sure, is a lot, but these things aren't going to be moving around (they don't live outside the function so they should be super quick to free in the short-lived arena), and they aren't growing while the WASM is running, so how a browser can spend 0.5s GCing in here bewilders me.

So, yeah. Basically exactly the wet fart in terms of performance I expected, with half-assed implementations that interact poorly with the JS interpreter. It's probably a win if you're Google and your cross-compiled browser Java inexplicably already takes 5 seconds to show a text-only email.

The next generation in web development is here.

:popeye:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

i dont follow webass too closely so I don't know what kind of deployment status its at, but...

i thought it was not at a "this thing is done, use it and go wild" stage yet? last i read they were still in heavy development on js interop and lots of other important pieces of it

also js engines have got 2 decades of work behind them so im not terribly surprised that some tyupes of JITed code are fast

on the other hand, it's not really clear why what your'e doing is slow.

have you submitted an issue to firefox/chrome/anywhere? I'd be really interested in following that

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
Is this a dumbass opinion? If WASM could be used to get at rowhammer or specter like behaviors then I'd be shocked if it didn't get hit with a big, intentional performance penalty, hitting it smack dab in the kind of functions that it "should be good at".

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
that’s true of javascript, too. all these untrusted-code platforms have to sacrifice some performance to resist that kind of attack

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Thermopyle posted:

i dont follow webass too closely so I don't know what kind of deployment status its at, but...

i thought it was not at a "this thing is done, use it and go wild" stage yet? last i read they were still in heavy development on js interop and lots of other important pieces of it

also js engines have got 2 decades of work behind them so im not terribly surprised that some tyupes of JITed code are fast

on the other hand, it's not really clear why what your'e doing is slow.

have you submitted an issue to firefox/chrome/anywhere? I'd be really interested in following that

Yeah, I wasn't expecting tremendous gains, it was more an idea about "here's a small task I can try to see what it can do" and I came away underwhelmed. It certainly *works*, and that's really cool. I'm chatting with the Firefox guys about it and they're helping me which is cool.

It definitely seems to be GC overhead, rather than WASM overhead -- once the WASM runs, it runs pretty fast.

Experiment here: https://github.com/magcius/model-viewer/commit/02ff7a1c093282534a0386da817487fd91e851e9

Profiler breakdown:

The little green "..."s are the actual execution -- GC seems to happen before we even run the code, and massively, too. I don't know why.

Suspicious Dish fucked around with this message at 17:53 on May 4, 2018

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

just yesterday some guys released a proof of concept rowhammer implementation that used drive by JS Web GL code to execute arbitrary code on a Nexus 5 android phone

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Suspicious Dish posted:

I wasn't expecting tremendous gains

I've found lean protein helps a lot in this regard,

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

prisoner of waffles posted:

Is this a dumbass opinion? If WASM could be used to get at rowhammer or specter like behaviors then I'd be shocked if it didn't get hit with a big, intentional performance penalty, hitting it smack dab in the kind of functions that it "should be good at".

didn't the spectre paper have a js implementation? not really specific to webass

mystes
May 31, 2006

prisoner of waffles posted:

I think the main mitigation in JS so far was just limiting timer resolution, but maybe there will be more in the future.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

just yesterday some guys released a proof of concept rowhammer implementation that used drive by JS Web GL code to execute arbitrary code on a Nexus 5 android phone

lol, that's probably why chrome disabled ext_disjoint_timer_query with no explanation a few months ago then

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

mystes posted:

I think the main mitigation in JS so far was just limiting timer resolution, but maybe there will be more in the future.

they also disabled sharedarraybuffer because it turned out that incrementing a number in a loop in another thread is a good enough timer to do spectre shenanigans

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
wish they’d disable javascript altogether. hypertext documents have no business performing execution period, let alone speculative execution.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Soricidus posted:

wish they’d disable javascript altogether. hypertext documents have no business performing execution period, let alone speculative execution.

shaggar alt spotted

mystes
May 31, 2006

akadajet posted:

shaggar alt spotted
Nah if it was shaggar he would probably say to use vbscript or jscript instead.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

repiv posted:

lol, that's probably why chrome disabled ext_disjoint_timer_query with no explanation a few months ago then

thats exactly why

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

akadajet posted:

eschaton alt spotted

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

c tp s: new intern started working this week. he was the first guy to see my current project's f# codebase so I'd spend the previous few days cleaning it up, adding comments, and most importantly replacing some of the fancier tricks i used with more verbose but simpler code

turns out he's a haskell turbonerd who goes on nerdgasma talking about catamorphisms and quasiquotations :hellyeah: git reverted immediately and brought back all the srtp goodness

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

NihilCredo posted:

c tp s: new intern started working this week. he was the first guy to see my current project's f# codebase so I'd spend the previous few days cleaning it up, adding comments, and most importantly replacing some of the fancier tricks i used with more verbose but simpler code

turns out he's a haskell turbonerd who goes on nerdgasma talking about catamorphisms and quasiquotations :hellyeah: git reverted immediately and brought back all the srtp goodness

hire him

but oh boy do i ever feel you about self policing your fancy fp junk. of course at my level it's more like "hey ya'll maybe we should use Either instead of throwing exceptions everywhere" and everyone bitches about having to learn a new pattern.

which i totally get. so our code base is bad.

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 21:15 on May 4, 2018

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
put a ring on it

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Soricidus posted:

delenda est JavaScript

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

NihilCredo posted:

Quasiquotations and Template Haskell are abominations.

All languages turn into C++ eventually.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Athas posted:

Quasiquotations and Template Haskell are abominations.

All languages turn into C++ eventually.

quasiemptyquoting

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

please name another platform or api where this is true

opengl and friends are the obvious choice

(i'm sure you have some elaborate rationale for why that's not a thing, and i get that. you could have just started out with the effort post on opengl)

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

quasiemptyquoting

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

repiv posted:

they also disabled sharedarraybuffer because it turned out that incrementing a number in a loop in another thread is a good enough timer to do spectre shenanigans

It's bizarre to me, because using SharedArrayBuffer and a Web Worker to build a high-resolution timer was known in 2015, along with a handful of other techniques you could use, and decided that it was not important enough to lock down.

In my WebAudio exploration, the follow-up messaging was clear: "use SharedArrayBuffer together with an AudioWorklet for garbage-free audio output". But that path seems to be closed now, with no clear timing on when it will be available again.

Web platforms are messy, sure, but browser vendors holding you to the fire and removing features that are bedrock for future stuff just makes me really upset.

For now, I'll go back to figuring out WASM is triggering that GC. Have a great weekend, folks.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

opengl and friends are the obvious choice

(i'm sure you have some elaborate rationale for why that's not a thing, and i get that. you could have just started out with the effort post on opengl)

They're not the obvious choice.

Platforms that support OpenGL as a first-class citizen: Windows (using NVIDIA), Android, and Linux. Oh, and the web, I guess (unless you're on an iPhone).

Platforms that use Vulkan has their own preferred graphics abstraction API: Android, and Linux

Kind of supports OpenGL but crashy and vendors laugh at you if you actually use it: Windows (using AMD or Intel), Mac, PS3, and Switch.

Platforms that have their own preferred graphics abstraction API: Windows and Xbox One (Direct3D), Mac and iOS (Metal), PS4 and Vita (libgnm), Switch (NVN), 3DS (DMP).

Did I forget any? You can't take an OpenGL game and port it to Xbox One without redoing your graphics stack. You also can't take an OpenGL game and port it to iOS without redoing your graphics stack. Why is that a problem?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Suspicious Dish posted:

Web platforms are messy, sure, but browser vendors holding you to the fire and removing features that are bedrock for future stuff just makes me really upset.

browser vendors should remove progressively more features so that people will stop trying to cram apps into web pages

I’m not kidding or being ironic when I say this, I honestly think it would be the best possible thing for users and developers to create real applications with platform native UI and stop cramming everything through the browser

delenda est JavaScript

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Suspicious Dish posted:

Kind of supports OpenGL but crashy and vendors laugh at you if you actually use it: Mac, PS3

to further elaborate, mac supports opengl only in the sense that they haven't ripped it out yet. osx supports opengl 4.1, which is 8 years out of date and doesn't even support compute shaders. opengl is absolutely the wrong choice for any new work targeting osx.

to say that the ps3 supported opengl is a real stretch. it supported psgl, which was a sort-of opengl es 1.0 with some extensions that was really bad and slow since everything involved an extra level of indirection which caused the already slow processors in the previous console gen to stall even more than they already did. you didn't get glsl support either, just cg. it seemed more like an experiment than something someone would actually want to use.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I only mention it because my employer shipped games using PSGL. A heavily modified version of PSGL, mind you, but still PSGL. The renderer was really simple up until a few years ago. The PS3 architecture was really terrible for games just in general but that's a story for another thread.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

eschaton posted:

browser vendors should remove progressively more features so that people will stop trying to cram apps into web pages

I’m not kidding or being ironic when I say this, I honestly think it would be the best possible thing for users and developers to create real applications with platform native UI and stop cramming everything through the browser

delenda est JavaScript

Sure, but only if they improve the developer experience on Mac to not be loving terrible. Seriously, use some of that 36 billion dollars or whatever you have lying around, buy some PS4 SDKs made by grownups and call me back when you can do a twentieth of the stuff they have.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
so ah what's the other platform for hardware-independent net-delivered interactivity that we're all missing out on?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

from the standpoint of users the web is the best application delivery platform that has ever existed

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

eschaton posted:

delenda est JavaScript

my friend, you were alive and working in the days when Microsoft ruled the computing landscape with an iron fist and I don't think anybody wants to return to them

maybe in ten years when Linux might not be a completely dickless opposition (desktop environments were a solved problem ten years ago, surely they will eventually get bored of endlessly rewriting their broken poo poo from scratch), because Apple's focus on the wealthiest 10% sure as hell ain't gonna be it.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i mean it sounds funny now, sure, but ten years ago desktop linux was on the cusp of actually becoming a credible (albeit slightly niche) desktop computing platform. people were actually sort of starting to take the platform seriously even. all they had to do was basically hold a steady course and not gently caress it up.

lol

(tbf though that was also roughly the point at which smartphones happened and that just made a horrible mess out of everything)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
maybe, maybe 3DUI has the potential to disrupt the status quo enough for a platform to emerge independent of the web, but no significant number of developers want to return to managing a UI with a friggin WindowProc