Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
A bunch of places won’t let you cardboard it though. You might need a piece of plastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Anyway I’ll figure that part out. Any portable air conditioner recommendations?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Looking for a good pair of wired earbuds in the $30-50 range. Volume/play/ff controls on the cord would be nice too, but not a dealbreaker either way

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
AKG Y20U

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Anyone knowledgable about vertical blinds? Is it possible to just replace one blade? I'm missing a blade but also the clip that holds the blade needs to be replaced. Do people bother with this or do I just need to buy a whole new blinds?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

colas posted:

Anyone knowledgable about vertical blinds? Is it possible to just replace one blade? I'm missing a blade but also the clip that holds the blade needs to be replaced. Do people bother with this or do I just need to buy a whole new blinds?

Are you renting or could you replace the whole thing with something else?

Vertical blinds are stupid as hell and I don't know why they are so popular.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

Are you renting or could you replace the whole thing with something else?

Vertical blinds are stupid as hell and I don't know why they are so popular.

No I own actually. I like what my neighbors have, they're brown wicker or bamboo roll-down things. They're for a small patio.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

colas posted:

Yes you can replace the individual slats, but if the clip bit on the mechanism is broken it may be a little trickier.

Not that it would be easy, you might struggle replacing the exact colour if you don’t know the original manufacturer.

The things are dirt cheap anyway, might be worthwhile just replacing the whole thing.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Anyone have a window AC Unit they endorse? I'm thinking around 10000 BTU should do it. Quiet helps. No Kool Kings as I don't hate myself.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Any good phone mounts for bikes?

This seems to be the #1 on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015C03SI8/ref=nav_timeline_asin?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

That's probably a decent enough endorsement, but it doesn't look like it holds the phone THAT securely. I'd prefer it held it on all four sides, not just the sides (I see it has little rubber mesh thingies for the corners, but it still looks like it's not enough.)

I'm getting this for my fiance so you can be drat well sure that if her phone EVER falls out of this and shatters on the pavement, I'll get quite the earful and then I'll have to buy her a new phone.

She has a Pixel XL (original, not the Pixel 2) so I guess it's (at this point) an average phone size?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
The quadlock system is the strongest and most convenient mount. The only downside is you need to adhere the universal mounting square to the back of your phone but it's unobtrusive. It also keeps temperatures down on your phone since it gets good airflow. That might just be a Texas problem though.

I use mine for my bikes, car, and have a tripod adapter for taking pictures with my phone. It works amazingly well and I get a lot of people with the bulkier clamp or bag mounts asking me about it when I do group rides.

There's three kinds of quadlock bike mounts, stem mounts, out-front mounts, and a new pivoting handlebar mount which I have no experience with. I prefer the out-front mounts bit I know people with the stem mount and it works good too. It just depends on your preference and cockpit setup.

E: I've used mine with a Moto X and Pixel (1st gen of both)

SpartanIvy has a new favorite as of 14:16 on Apr 27, 2018

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

DrBouvenstein posted:

Any good phone mounts for bikes?

This seems to be the #1 on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015C03SI8/ref=nav_timeline_asin?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

That's probably a decent enough endorsement, but it doesn't look like it holds the phone THAT securely. I'd prefer it held it on all four sides, not just the sides (I see it has little rubber mesh thingies for the corners, but it still looks like it's not enough.)

I'm getting this for my fiance so you can be drat well sure that if her phone EVER falls out of this and shatters on the pavement, I'll get quite the earful and then I'll have to buy her a new phone.

She has a Pixel XL (original, not the Pixel 2) so I guess it's (at this point) an average phone size?

I used this on my bike & I'm happy with it. Looks like it's using the same securing system so I assume it will work well.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Does anything exist that you just attach to your bicycle and turn it into an electric bicycle? Preferably if it remains legally a bike tia

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Furia posted:

Does anything exist that you just attach to your bicycle and turn it into an electric bicycle? Preferably if it remains legally a bike tia

It's a place to start at least: http://www.ebay.com/bhp/electric-bike-conversion-kit-1000w

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I was about to suggest the Copenhagen Wheel buuut it's an order of magnitude more expensive than the eBay kits.

I'm sure it's way more polished and easier to integrate, I just don't know if it's worth 10x the money.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I have this guy for my phone mount. Never had an issue.

Nite Ize HDB-02-R3 HandleBand Clear in Card Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FU4N4OK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_WW24Ab9FMFAER

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Trabant posted:

I was about to suggest the Copenhagen Wheel buuut it's an order of magnitude more expensive than the eBay kits.

I'm sure it's way more polished and easier to integrate, I just don't know if it's worth 10x the money.

Thanks guys. Copenhagen looks nice but gently caress that 1500 wheel poo poo. I did look into the ebay kits and honestly the fact that it’s sleeker is not worth 10x the price, specially if there’s an app involved. Might just go the diy route in the end. In any case all the cool info is a start.

Related: Does anyone know sturdy, simple, affordable messenger bags? Preferably large enough to keep a fold out folder inside.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Furia posted:

Thanks guys. Copenhagen looks nice but gently caress that 1500 wheel poo poo. I did look into the ebay kits and honestly the fact that it’s sleeker is not worth 10x the price, specially if there’s an app involved. Might just go the diy route in the end. In any case all the cool info is a start.

Related: Does anyone know sturdy, simple, affordable messenger bags? Preferably large enough to keep a fold out folder inside.

Chrome

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
I need a recommendation for BBQ toolset. Mostly just a decent scouring brush and a spatula.

I keep hearing horror stories of small metal spikes getting into food when they fall off from your brush.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

m.hache posted:

I need a recommendation for BBQ toolset. Mostly just a decent scouring brush and a spatula.

I keep hearing horror stories of small metal spikes getting into food when they fall off from your brush.

Get this thing or one of it's competitors for cleaning: https://www.amazon.com/Great-Scrape-Woody-Paddle-Natural/dp/B013S1SM4I

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

.Z. posted:

Get this thing or one of it's competitors for cleaning: https://www.amazon.com/Great-Scrape-Woody-Paddle-Natural/dp/B013S1SM4I

That's awesome. Found a Canadian version for $20.

Thanks

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

What're the hot bluetooth earbuds these days?
The Anker ones I bought a while ago are no longer charging.

I don't need the super fancy ones for working out because I'm a lazy POS.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
AirPods

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

gross

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Yeah this. They’re wonderful and magical if you use iOS devices.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Kilometers Davis posted:

Yeah this. They’re wonderful and magical if you use iOS devices.

I don't own any Apple products.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

I don't own any Apple products.

Nobody asked.

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

What're the hot bluetooth earbuds these days?
The Anker ones I bought a while ago are no longer charging.

I don't need the super fancy ones for working out because I'm a lazy POS.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018XNGO5A
Had a pair for a few years now.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Slimy Hog posted:

Nobody asked.

I wish we could also have opinions from an atheist, a vegan and someone who does crossfit.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

I mean, he was the guy asking for earphone recommendations, so the fact that he doesn't have an iPhone might be relevant... but yea, let's go with the being a oval office routine :jerkbag:

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

1redflag posted:

but yea, let's go with the being a oval office routine :jerkbag:

Ok.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
A few years ago we got an LG bluray player because in addition to playing DVDs it also did streaming. Recently, both Hulu and Amazon have just...stopped working. My theory is that the people at LG are too lazy or busy to keep the apps working.

Anyway, would something like a roku be a better choice? All they do is streaming so maybe they wouldn't suck at it as much. Also, I really like Closed Captions, so whether it supports those or not is a big factor.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Beachcomber posted:

A few years ago we got an LG bluray player because in addition to playing DVDs it also did streaming. Recently, both Hulu and Amazon have just...stopped working. My theory is that the people at LG are too lazy or busy to keep the apps working.

Anyway, would something like a roku be a better choice? All they do is streaming so maybe they wouldn't suck at it as much. Also, I really like Closed Captions, so whether it supports those or not is a big factor.

CC is probably dependent on the service rather than Roku.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

KoB posted:

CC is probably dependent on the service rather than Roku.

I get captions on Netflix on the blu-ray player, but not on my "smart" TV.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
CC works well on my Roku 3. It even supports CC on local files you play back from the USB drive, so it might work on the streaming stick version too.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Any recommendations for low maintenance houseplants? I can't keep anything alive.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

colas posted:

Any recommendations for low maintenance houseplants? I can't keep anything alive.

Either succulents, or get one of those smart pots / smart watering systems.

I have a Parrot Pot with a Scheflerra in it and it's just fine

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

colas posted:

Depends on your climate, but I've found the Ficus and the Sansevieria to be very hardy.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

colas posted:

succs succs and more succs

My personal favorite though is marimo. I have four in a mason jar and they’re beautiful and super cute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colas
Feb 14, 2007

wtf, green tribbles? I don't think anyone sells those around here.