Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Yeah but also he's totally right and gently caress anyone who needs that forced on them. And would you look at that, it inevitably happened.

He was totally right, but he also displayed all the political savvy of a board of wood in the process of being right and at least in part contributed to a result that was both a huge embarrassment for the state and set that inevitability back a few years until a judge unfucked it.

Just one of the many reasons I'm really looking forward to him as Governor :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
You don't have to worry, once he gets elected he's gonna drop the act and go full SkyNet.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

JeffersonClay posted:

Or your average California Democrat is not nearly as far left as many of us would like to believe.

do you even live in this state

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
It's literally his bog-standard response whenever Dem voters do something dumb.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

You don't have to worry, once he gets elected he's gonna drop the act and go full SkyNet.

Nah he can't reveal his true allegiance until he's President. Playing the long game.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Shear Modulus posted:

Dems being Clinton-style Nice Republicans in single-party blue states isn't a California-specific thing. It's also extremely true in New York and Illinois.

I mean, if you ignore his stances on race, gender, immigration, gay marriage, the environment, and public infrastructure, Jerry Brown sort of looks like a Republican insofar as he was concerned about unfucking the state’s finances. But even there he didn’t suggest a bunch of tax cuts to magically raise revenue.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

do you even live in this state

yes

It's literally his bog-standard response whenever Dem voters do something dumb.

It’s my bog standard response when people twist themselves in knots to explain why democratic voters vote the way they do. Maybe they vote for the politicians they like the best? It’s a crazy suggestion, I know.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

What does a Republican look like these days? Because Trump sure ain't Reagan, or even Dubya.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
California now world's 5th largest economy, surpassing UK

So much for those high taxes and strict regulations driving businesses away, huh?

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Is the California Democratic Party still nominally opposed to the awful Top-Two Primary system or have they embraced it because it entrenches the position of its “moderate” candidates?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

CPColin posted:

California now world's 5th largest economy, surpassing UK

So much for those high taxes and strict regulations driving businesses away, huh?

I see Brexit is working out great for the UK economy.

Also:

The Article posted:

Economists at the state Department of Finance say all economic sectors except agriculture contributed to California's growth.
Agribusiness produces so much cash crop and sucks up so much water in the process, and couldn't even contribute to the economic growth of the state. Of course, I'm sure their response would be "well we could if we had EVEN MORE WATER SOMETHING SOMETHING CONGRESS CREATED DUSTBOWL" :qq:

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

King Hong Kong posted:

Is the California Democratic Party still nominally opposed to the awful Top-Two Primary system or have they embraced it because it entrenches the position of its “moderate” candidates?

The platform doesn't mention top-two, but does mention ranked-choice twice, which is a step in the right direction, as far as I'm concerned. Double the size of the State Senate and Assembly and switch to multi-member districts, imo.

CPColin fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 4, 2018

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Sydin posted:

Agribusiness produces so much cash crop and sucks up so much water in the process, and couldn't even contribute to the economic growth of the state. Of course, I'm sure their response would be "well we could if we had EVEN MORE WATER SOMETHING SOMETHING CONGRESS CREATED DUSTBOWL" :qq:

I bet if we protected our migrant workers better, they would contribute to the economy more.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Sydin posted:

I see Brexit is working out great for the UK economy.

Also:

Alternative take: agriculture is doing its part to contain housing costs.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I'd really like an actually leftist political party instead of whatever the gently caress state of denial democrats are in. Of course that would also divide the voter base so that the conservatives would have all the power, so boo.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Sydin posted:

He was totally right, but he also displayed all the political savvy of a board of wood in the process of being right and at least in part contributed to a result that was both a huge embarrassment for the state and set that inevitability back a few years until a judge unfucked it.

Just one of the many reasons I'm really looking forward to him as Governor :shepface:

I think Prop 8’s (slim) victory actually had to do with culturally and religiously conservative minorities coming out to vote for Obama in droves (I recall several surveys showing African Americans at around 80 percent disapproval of gay marriage at the time). Newsom got the right wing media in a frenzy over his smug comments, but I doubt they actually made much of a difference to the average voter.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Obama and Prop 8 weren't contradictory positions. Obama and the rest of the Dems (except like Kucinich and maybe another handful) were anti-gay-marriage at the time too.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Do my eyes deceive me or do we really have to loving vote to make sure the 25 cent gas tax we just passed for transportation use actually goes to transportation [Prop 69]? Why was that clause not in the original bill in the first place? That gas tax we voted on like 10 years ago got robbed by the assholes until we voted on ANOTHER tax that had the stipulation that it be spent only on transportation.

Its an easy win for the Yes side though, just put "Vote Yes on 69 :smug:" on some billboards.

Longpig Bard fucked around with this message at 01:38 on May 5, 2018

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

ProperGanderPusher posted:

I think Prop 8’s (slim) victory actually had to do with culturally and religiously conservative minorities coming out to vote for Obama in droves (I recall several surveys showing African Americans at around 80 percent disapproval of gay marriage at the time). Newsom got the right wing media in a frenzy over his smug comments, but I doubt they actually made much of a difference to the average voter.

There was also a lot of comment at the time that the Prop 8 backers didn't bother to do door-to-door in historically-minority areas. Didn't even bother to canvass.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Nah he's Wintermute to Zuck's Neuromancer so they'll merge and then fly away to talk to someone on his level while leaving us in a dystopian nightmare.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sydin posted:

Newsom is a creepy-rear end, 3D printed, laboratory-produced replicant who oozes that that “charisma” that makes people hate politicians, but I ain’t going to poo poo on him for being out in front of SSM. I mean, you can’t argue against lovely centrist dems and also criticize dems when they are unambiguously on the right side of an issue. That’s a really narrow line to walk.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I'd rather have representatives who defended me rudely than ones who were polite and "compromised."

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
California’s economy is now the 5th largest in the world. Suck eggs UK!

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

ProperGanderPusher posted:

Yes people blamed black people at the time, even though that doesn't hold up.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/prop-8-myths/

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

JeffersonClay posted:

California’s economy is now the 5th largest in the world. Suck eggs UK!
Don't worry, the UK will come roaring back just as soon as they [checks notes] finish dismantling the trade linkage with their biggest market.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

blaming black people for prop 8 is the lovely and racist position to take

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
I just want Newsom to bring the remnants of the state GOP over to his apartment and ask them if they like Huey Lewis and the News.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Jaxyon posted:

Yes people blamed black people at the time, even though that doesn't hold up.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/prop-8-myths/

Much like all bad things in America, it's Boomers' fault

revolther
May 27, 2008
I remember there being a loving MASSIVE disinformation campaign about prop 8. Like literally every 2 seconds tv commercials from unidentified groups were just blasting YES NO YES NO mixed messaging, religious dummies were flooding Sacramento airwaves about how it was going to rob every church in the state of it's tax exempt status.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
idk how much it influenced the actual outcome but the prop was also intentionally worded disingenuously so that more than a few people I knew were confused and when I asked them about it would say "Oh yeah I'm absolutely voting yes, same sex marriage is long overdue." and similar.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Sydin posted:

idk how much it influenced the actual outcome but the prop was also intentionally worded disingenuously so that more than a few people I knew were confused and when I asked them about it would say "Oh yeah I'm absolutely voting yes, same sex marriage is long overdue." and similar.

Uhh, its ballot title was literally “Eliminates Rights of Same-Sex Couples to Marry. Initiative Constitutional Amendment”.

Then again, people in general suck at reading.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Well it looks like The Chron was just like "hey let's help Ron Conway and also be bad at journalism" https://medium.com/@JaneKimCA/no-filter-6f4247335455

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

revolther posted:

I remember there being a loving MASSIVE disinformation campaign about prop 8.
Yeah, arguments varied from the standard religious bullshit to "They'll teach kinderkids about gay anal sex BY LAW" to "Your taxes will go up. Somehow"

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Sydin posted:

Last time I looked it up, agriculture was something like 2% of California's economy. That doesn't mean it's small: it's by far the largest agricultural volume of any US state, by a huge margin. That just highlights the fact that California's total economy is enormous. And that 2% number is just the direct revenue, there's a big sector of follow-on productivity not included (like manufacturing of food containers, food transport, etc.) but it still really highlights just how cheap food is now, and also just how enormous California's economy has become.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

revolther posted:

I remember there being a loving MASSIVE disinformation campaign about prop 8.

yeah, and mormons paid for a lot of it :911:

e: not as much as i thought at first, but they did pay for a big advertising campaign. all kinds religious people were against gay marriage

Rah! fucked around with this message at 23:43 on May 6, 2018

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Newsom is the likely next governor and he's apparently been very pro single payer. Are any of the other candidates?

We have a larger economy than the UK. If they can do single payer we can

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Glass of Milk posted:

Newsom is the likely next governor and he's apparently been very pro single payer. Are any of the other candidates?

Why would you rob from the starving mouths of prison guards and sheriffs to give health care to potential perps?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Glass of Milk posted:

I'd love to see single payer, but the UK doesn't have to deal with a federal government that's hostile to sane healthcare. It just seems like this will be really hard to do when the GOP controls both houses of Congress as well as the presidency.

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

"virgin no more! virgin no more!" i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob

Glass of Milk posted:

Delaine Eastin supports single-payer, but hasn't been as vocal as Newsom on the issue.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Newsom is a robot who efficiently identifies and hones in on effective talking points in his base. Which is refreshingly representative, in a way, but if he's repping single payer it's because he recognizes the big push for it and its popularity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I remain firmly of the opinion that he wouldn't be a bad Governor by any stretch, certainly better than Villaraigosa or any of the literal nazis the Republicans have churned up. However it's also pretty likely he'd shy away from anything that isn't an easy win line item to add to his political resume since - as others have pointed out - he most likely only sees the Governorship as a springboard for a Presidential run. I'm just not seeing him actually pushing for single payer with any great amount of force if he gets elected, because while it may be popular with California Dems it would be a huge black mark to a lot of the "moderate/independent" general election crowd and the working class white vote the DNC wants back so badly.