Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lotron
Aug 15, 2006

Still clownin'
remember when hotlinking was still a word

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Wasn't there a late 90s purge of a lot of internet sites of copyrighted content that was spearheaded by Fox?

I seem to recall the various episode guide sites, fan sites, screen cap sites for shows like Simpsons, X-Files, etc. seemed to have something all at about the same time over it.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Lotron posted:

remember when hotlinking was still a word

Remember when Discovery was called The Discovery Channel and wasn't the trashiest channel on tv?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Pneub posted:

Remember when Discovery was called The Discovery Channel and wasn't the trashiest channel on tv?

Yeah. :(

Turns out it was cheaper to pay some random dudes to wander around the woods with a camera and fail to find Bigfoot than it was to produce real documentaries.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
Is My 600lb Life on Discovery or The Learning Channel, I can't keep up anymore.

Pneub has a new favorite as of 06:58 on May 5, 2018

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Connecticut is a weird stronghold of Sublime fandom
I was worried that something happened to someone from Badfish since they aren't booked at Toad's Place through this fall, but it looks like they're on a full US tour for some inexplicable reason.

ZDar Fan posted:

How long was it until the next time you poo poo?
In college, I ate two entire stuffed crust dippin' strips pizzas. It was roughly 45 minutes even with lactaid.

Mu Zeta posted:

No? It was for kids. They sold it at the vending machines at my middle school.
That and YooHoo. The machine at my high school was broken as hell and I found a combination of thumping my fist on it and pressing the button at the right times that let me dispense 2 or 3 most of the time with a peak of 8 drinks at my best.

edit: I'm now diabetic, if you're wondering.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

13Pandora13 posted:

I'm drinking this right now :smug: If you've got a World Market store near you, they have it. I think outside of the US a couple other companies do too.

Never heard of world market. Looked it up and its just a little too far away to justify a trip just for fruit water. You can get it on Amazon too, but its $10 a bottle. gently caress that.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

Pneub posted:

Is My 600lb Life on Discovery or The Learning Channel, I can't keep up anymore.

It’s on TLC, right after ‘hosed Up Bodies’ and just before ‘lovely Family 25’

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Creature posted:

It’s on TLC, right after ‘hosed Up Bodies’ and just before ‘lovely Family 25’

I think they technical count as learning in a "what not to do" sense :pseudo:.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

Never heard of world market. Looked it up and its just a little too far away to justify a trip just for fruit water. You can get it on Amazon too, but its $10 a bottle. gently caress that.

World Market owns, there's way more than tasty fruit water but if you're looking at more than an hour each way yeah probably not worth the trek even though they sell it by the delicious, delicious case.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

World Market is the only place near me that carries Fentiman's Dandelion & Burdock, my favorite weird soda

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

JediTalentAgent posted:

Wasn't there a late 90s purge of a lot of internet sites of copyrighted content that was spearheaded by Fox?

I seem to recall the various episode guide sites, fan sites, screen cap sites for shows like Simpsons, X-Files, etc. seemed to have something all at about the same time over it.

Paramount went nuts for a while shutting down Star Trek fan sites. Great way to piss off your fans.

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005

Is there another adventure game from around this time with a similar mythology theme and graphics? I'm getting a vague flashback of playing a demo similar to this, but without moving a guy around in the environment. More like you're standing back and looking at the entire scene and trying to solve a puzzle in it by interacting with stuff in the environment. Unless it just was this game and I don't remember clicking the guy around.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Pneub posted:

Yeah, and A&E was good too.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

wesleywillis posted:

Yeah, and A&E was good too.

Maury Chaykin (2009) posted:

I'm a bit jaded and cynical about which shows succeed on television. I worked on a fantastic show once called Nero Wolfe, but at the time A&E was transforming from the premier intellectual cable network in America to one that airs Dog the Bounty Hunter on repeat, so it was never promoted and eventually went off the air.

:sigh:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

A&E also had the Horatio Hornblower series and it was great.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

This is from 2017 but it's 90's as gently caress:

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

We watched the movie about Man on the Moon the other night and I caught wind of this skit from In Living Color (I assume?) thats loving priceless. The sailor part loving slays me.

codo27 has a new favorite as of 01:58 on May 6, 2018

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

PhotoKirk posted:

Paramount went nuts for a while shutting down Star Trek fan sites. Great way to piss off your fans.

TSR waded into rec.games.frp.dnd and claimed a copyright on any and all homebrewed content that anyone stuck up on an ftp site anywhere. Like, if you wrote an adventure module for your campaign, they claimed ownership.

Great way for them to discover the internet.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Phanatic posted:

TSR waded into rec.games.frp.dnd and claimed a copyright on any and all homebrewed content that anyone stuck up on an ftp site anywhere. Like, if you wrote an adventure module for your campaign, they claimed ownership.

Great way for them to discover the internet.

TSR was a cavalcade of tremendously awful decisions about literally everything.

It was like everybody involved sat around and brainstormed about the worst decisions they could possibly make and then said "no, that isn't bad enough. Let's do worse."

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Sega ads even back when i was tween/teen always screamed desperation. All they do is poo poo on Nintendo, while Nintendo never poo poo on Sega, it was "hey look at this cool game!". Pepsi was the same way. That or poo poo was just weird with Sega. Though as the 90s wound on, Nintendo got really weird. Earthbound is his great game that people hail as one of the greatest JRPGs ever made, but no one played it when it was released because the ads were horrible. For some reason they chose to go full on gross out in the ads with stinky scratch and sniff ads in Nintendo power. Why would anyone want a game with ads like that?

Things being super gross seemed to appeal to kids a few years younger than me in the 90s. I never understood it.

Also a friend of mine was obessed with OK Cola. He covered an entire wall in his bedroom with cans by super gluing them to the each other and the wall. I don't think his parents knew it was a solid structure. I remember it tasting kind of fruity, but still a cola taste. "Underground" comics like Hate and 8Ball and anything Evan Dorkin seemed to be something that media tried to get in on, like the excellent show Mission Hill really took the style for the animation. Though I think they really didn't understand that then popularity of these were not as big as they thought. It was cool to see it embraced though.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

twistedmentat posted:

Sega ads even back when i was tween/teen always screamed desperation. All they do is poo poo on Nintendo, while Nintendo never poo poo on Sega, it was "hey look at this cool game!". Pepsi was the same way. That or poo poo was just weird with Sega. Though as the 90s wound on, Nintendo got really weird. Earthbound is his great game that people hail as one of the greatest JRPGs ever made, but no one played it when it was released because the ads were horrible. For some reason they chose to go full on gross out in the ads with stinky scratch and sniff ads in Nintendo power. Why would anyone want a game with ads like that?

Things being super gross seemed to appeal to kids a few years younger than me in the 90s. I never understood it.

Nintendo was basically synonymous with video games at that point. Sega was trying to set itself up as better than the Nintendo. Nintendo for their part didn't even acknowledge Sega in their adverts as that would ultimately legitimize them as a legitimate competitor. We all see how that went; Nintendo is still releasing consoles while Sega...well...was Sega.

The Earthbound thing was because gross out stuff was at its peak at that time. Remember that Earthbound came out in 1994. Ren and Stimpy came out in 1991 and I think was over by that point. Rocco's Modern Life was still in full swing and gross out humor was in full swing. So they decided to do an experiment with Earthbound's advertising. It turned out that if you make an advertisement that says "this thing stinks and is bad lol" then the message people get is not "you should buy this." Who would have thought?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Nintendo was basically synonymous with video games at that point. Sega was trying to set itself up as better than the Nintendo. Nintendo for their part didn't even acknowledge Sega in their adverts as that would ultimately legitimize them as a legitimate competitor. We all see how that went; Nintendo is still releasing consoles while Sega...well...was Sega.

The Earthbound thing was because gross out stuff was at its peak at that time. Remember that Earthbound came out in 1994. Ren and Stimpy came out in 1991 and I think was over by that point. Rocco's Modern Life was still in full swing and gross out humor was in full swing. So they decided to do an experiment with Earthbound's advertising. It turned out that if you make an advertisement that says "this thing stinks and is bad lol" then the message people get is not "you should buy this." Who would have thought?

Yup, and as I said, it seemed to appeal to kids 3 or so years younger than me. When you're a teen and you see something that is clearly marketed to "kids" you're not going to bother. Honestly until relatively recently with retrogaming did I hear that Earthbound was actually a really great, though weird, game that I probably would have liked at the time.

I've said it in other threads, but I feel like Sega could have only existed in the 90s. It was all extreme awesome radical duuuuuude kind of stuff. Like Sonic embodies everything that is 90s, he's all fast and hyper, loves junk food, wears sneakers. That seems so old hat, but its very 90s. Mario though, timeless.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Those ads saved Saga in the 90s though

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ToxicSlurpee posted:

TSR was a cavalcade of tremendously awful decisions about literally everything.

It was like everybody involved sat around and brainstormed about the worst decisions they could possibly make and then said "no, that isn't bad enough. Let's do worse."

i would love some effortposting on this if anyone has good knowledge or links. It's hard to overstate how much of a douche gygax could be, but he got handily outdouched by the people who took over TSR.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Yeah let's not pretend that's what killed sega. For a time they had Nintendo beat in America. Had they survived they certainly would have changed advertising with the times.

Stupid business decisions and infighting killed them.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Here's mainstream America getting their first look at the Dreamcast and experiencing the sound glitch on live TV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEqm3OqcGYs&t=95s

Mu Zeta has a new favorite as of 10:21 on May 7, 2018

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

twistedmentat posted:

Sega ads even back when i was tween/teen always screamed desperation. All they do is poo poo on Nintendo, while Nintendo never poo poo on Sega, it was "hey look at this cool game!". Pepsi was the same way.

Anyone who's comfortably #1 in their market doesn't need to poo poo on the competition, but they're fair game to everyone else. Burger King's ads for the longest time were all "Our burgers are flame-broiled, not fried like those chumps at McDonald's" and Wendy's were "We use fresh beef, not frozen like those jerks at McDonald's (and Burger King)". Meanwhile McDonald's ads just went "Looks like Hamburglar's up to his old tricks again!"

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Yeah. :(

Turns out it was cheaper to pay some random dudes to wander around the woods with a camera and fail to find Bigfoot than it was to produce real documentaries.

Old The Learning Channel shows couldn't have been that expensive to produce. I remember Great Books, in which some literature guys would explain why The Jungle or Crime and Punishment were good, or Paleontology, where a guy would show you dinosaur bones and talk about dinosaurs. I think it's just a plot to make everyone more stupid.

Ooof, there was also this show called The Operation in which they just filmed an operation of some kind. My parents loved it and watched it all the time, but for whatever reason it gave me massive anxiety. Same thing with Rescue 911. My folks would watch every episode and I'd go hide in my room. I remember this one episode where a babysitter was trying to get the shrinkwrap off one of them Disney clam shell VHSs and one of the kids grabbed a knife and ran with it straight out into the living room and stabbed the other kid real bad. My parents thought that was totally good and cool for kids to watch.

They also took us to see Alive and Fire in the Sky and Cliffhanger in the theater cause I guess my grandparents were too busy to watch us that night, but my mom forbade us to watch South Park when it came out cause it had dirty words. People falling to death from a mountain/nightmare aliens/airplane crash with cannibalism=cool and good for four and six year children, a talking poop=bad for middle and high school students.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

RagnarokAngel posted:

Yeah let's not pretend that's what killed sega. For a time they had Nintendo beat in America. Had they survived they certainly would have changed advertising with the times.

Stupid business decisions and infighting killed them.

Is there any really good article or retrospective detailing why Sega died?

On another forum I used to post on, there was one guy who used to revel in every piece of bad news for Sony, because he was a huge Sega fanboy and he resented the PlayStation for killing the Dreamcast, and every time he went off about it, the only response one could ever muster was, "I'm pretty sure Sega killed themselves, dude."

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There's a book called Console Wars that goes over the Sega fiasco. Basically Sega of Japan and Sega of America never saw eye to eye on how to beat Nintendo/Sony.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
My favorite part of that is when Sega made this simulation/dungeon-crawl game where you play the new anime teen CEO of Sega and try to beat Sony at game making.

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005

Ralph Crammed In posted:

Ooof, there was also this show called The Operation in which they just filmed an operation of some kind. My parents loved it and watched it all the time, but for whatever reason it gave me massive anxiety. Same thing with Rescue 911. My folks would watch every episode and I'd go hide in my room. I remember this one episode where a babysitter was trying to get the shrinkwrap off one of them Disney clam shell VHSs and one of the kids grabbed a knife and ran with it straight out into the living room and stabbed the other kid real bad. My parents thought that was totally good and cool for kids to watch.

I remember my father and grandmother watching this exact episode while I was in the room, probably around 5 years old, only for them to realize halfway through that I was paralyzed with terror. I recall a lot of really disturbing material ambiently playing around me as a child, which my parents thought was fine because it was news or educational tv. News with graphic images of dying children was fine, but GIJoe too violent.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Crystal Pepsi was just pepsi without the coloring added. It tasted like Pepsi (bad) and was discontinued

Later, the name was reused and they launched Crystal (from the makers of Pepsi) which was citrusy and good. Really, the only Pepsi product I've ever loved (Mountain Dew Throwback is good too)

Also, OK soda was GREAT and was indeed a mixture of different coke products. You can simulate it by mixing the correct % of Coke, Sprite, and Orange Soda, but many fountains don't have orange soda anymore. I wish they'd add it to Coke Freestyle since everything it needs is in there.

Internet Victory
Dec 10, 2005
The future is here. Internet!

twistedmentat posted:

Also a friend of mine was obessed with OK Cola. He covered an entire wall in his bedroom with cans by super gluing them to the each other and the wall. I don't think his parents knew it was a solid structure. I remember it tasting kind of fruity, but still a cola taste. "Underground" comics like Hate and 8Ball and anything Evan Dorkin seemed to be something that media tried to get in on, like the excellent show Mission Hill really took the style for the animation. Though I think they really didn't understand that then popularity of these were not as big as they thought. It was cool to see it embraced though.

Did you watch the latest Angry Videogame Nerd? It's a 40 minute long look at Earthbound and it starts of talking about the terrible advertising. Headlines like "This game stinks!" on full page ads in nintendo power and such. After he realizes it's a good game he gets upset and begins to scream "It was supposed to be poo poo!" Why, nintendo?

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
"I want my scooter to look like a trapper keeper" :allears:

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Section Z posted:

"I want my scooter to look like a trapper keeper" :allears:

Seems they did have one for each style of trapper.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Zil posted:

Seems they did have one for each style of trapper.

gently caress the haters I’d ride one of those TODAY. And I’m a 36-year old man with real bikes...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Internet Victory posted:

Did you watch the latest Angry Videogame Nerd? It's a 40 minute long look at Earthbound and it starts of talking about the terrible advertising. Headlines like "This game stinks!" on full page ads in nintendo power and such. After he realizes it's a good game he gets upset and begins to scream "It was supposed to be poo poo!" Why, nintendo?

I knew about it before that, but yea, its a good example how people would have dismissed it back in the 90s. Honestly, I had no idea what earthbound was until I saw some video about "weird poo poo in SNES games" and it was about the baby at the end.

As I said, I think marketing people misread the popularity of gross out humor in cartoons and kids shows for a poo poo towards everything being gross, and they misread why it was popular. There were a lot of gross ads in Nintendo Power like the one with the giant meatloaf or the jar of toenail clippings. I remember the ads but not what they were for, that's bad marketing.

And I wasn't suggesting Sega's marketing was their downfall, that's more about bad timing and not really understanding a changing game market, but mostly about the inability of the Japanese and US branches to agree on anything as mentioned. I also think that the whole thing with the Genesis with its addons of the Sega CD and 32X also really turned a lot of peopel off. Expensive pointless addons that maybe had a handful of decent games but most of them were poo poo and mostly about gimmicks. What i meant is Sega positioned itself as the Rude Dude with 'Tude to the nerds and squares at Nintendo. They were the Gambit and Wolverine, the Rapheal and Michaelanglo to Nintento's Cyclops and Beast, Leonardo and Donatello. That was a very 90s thing, and come the turn of the century, that was seen as silly.

Their marketing for the Saturn was really weird too.
like wtf is most of this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyv6ZehQyTQ
It reminds me of those weird creepy early ps3 ads. The whole idea of video games being some transcendent experience is just so weird. That being said, the section with the Theater of the Eye ads is pretty solid. Their weird, but not too weird and mostly focus on the idea of the GAMES blowing your mind. But the rest is just random abstract weirdness which I don't really think works. These are trying to get kids to ask their parents for them, and avant gard art projects aren't going to do it. Well, maybe they do, but Just remember going "wtf was that?" when I was 17 seeing those.