Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Suspicious Dish posted:

Sure, but only if they improve the developer experience on Mac to not be loving terrible. Seriously, use some of that 36 billion dollars or whatever you have lying around, buy some PS4 SDKs made by grownups and call me back when you can do a twentieth of the stuff they have.

gently caress you, the developer experience on the Mac is pretty goddamn nice, and I’ve worked pretty goddamn hard on making my parts of it—and a great many parts that aren’t mine—quite good and quite capable

(also, I actually know one of the people who ran PS4 at Sony, and get regular and actionable input from them on this kind of thing, thanks)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Gazpacho posted:

so ah what's the other platform for hardware-independent net-delivered interactivity that we're all missing out on?

there is no such thing as a good way to deliver applications independently of operating system, trying to pretend it’s something that can exist despite decades of experience to the contrary is just folly

write native applications against well defined protocols

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

eschaton posted:

i wish this were more of a mantra and things like electron just hosed off forever. i cant think of a way to make electron worse - maybe replacing javascript with groovy?

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

eschaton posted:

there is no such thing as a good way to deliver applications independently of operating system, trying to pretend it’s something that can exist despite decades of experience to the contrary is just folly

lol if you think your ideological purity will ever outweigh business needs

get with the times grandpa

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

NihilCredo posted:

c tp s: new intern started working this week. he was the first guy to see my current project's f# codebase so I'd spend the previous few days cleaning it up, adding comments, and most importantly replacing some of the fancier tricks i used with more verbose but simpler code

turns out he's a haskell turbonerd who goes on nerdgasma talking about catamorphisms and quasiquotations :hellyeah: git reverted immediately and brought back all the srtp goodness

i love f# but hate how easy it is to cross the line from "succinct" to "unreadably terse"

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

raminasi posted:

i love f# but hate how easy it is to cross the line from "succinct" to "unreadably terse"

this but q

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

eschaton posted:

delenda est JavaScript
If you must persist on doing this: ceterum censeo iavascripto esse delendam.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

eschaton posted:

gently caress you, the developer experience on the Mac is pretty goddamn nice, and I’ve worked pretty goddamn hard on making my parts of it—and a great many parts that aren’t mine—quite good and quite capable

you need to get out of the apple bubble if you actually believe this. the developer experience on the mac is atrocious

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sapozhnik posted:

maybe in ten years when Linux might not be a completely dickless opposition (desktop environments were a solved problem ten years ago, surely they will eventually get bored of endlessly rewriting their broken poo poo from scratch)

this will never, ever happen

i say that as a desktop linux user. i've had a unix desktop for almost twenty years. i will never, ever change. but i don't expect this poo poo to ever hit the mainstream

i expect desktop linux will probably take over software development for everything that isn't a fart app on ios, as the years go by, for practical reasons

but no regular joe is going to put up with all the bullshit on linux. open sores projects are never going to stop scratching themselves and rewriting dumbassery

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

you're about twenty years too late for this fight, friend

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this will never, ever happen

i say that as a desktop linux user. i've had a unix desktop for almost twenty years. i will never, ever change. but i don't expect this poo poo to ever hit the mainstream

i expect desktop linux will probably take over software development for everything that isn't a fart app on ios, as the years go by, for practical reasons

but no regular joe is going to put up with all the bullshit on linux. open sores projects are never going to stop scratching themselves and rewriting dumbassery

yeah well read the microsoft thread sometime

oem agreements are a continuing issue but from everything i've seen lately microsoft are the ones racing to close the gap right now, not linux

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
every time i have to debug something on windows i am amazed by how much faster and responsive debugging something in visual studio in a vm is than debugging in xcode without the vm overhead

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

eschaton posted:

"the cost of the hardware and subscriptions required to create an iphone app is greater than the yearly income of over half the people on earth" "gently caress you im really proud of this one xcode dialog"

e:

im sure your work is great eschaton, but some of your posts about Apple stuff come across sounding really tone-deaf. i think it's reasonable to say that every big tech company has downsides in their products and in their corporate behavior. taking personal offense seemingly just because you work on the product of company X and know more about it is an extremely techbro response, imo

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 5, 2018

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I used to have a not-entirely-legitimate VM of OS X with XCode, so I could test it out and help my students when they ran into trouble.

After 2 hours with XCode, the official party line became that if you are on OS X, you are on your own :v: It is terrible.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Plorkyeran posted:

every time i have to debug something on windows i am amazed by how much faster and responsive debugging something in visual studio in a vm is than debugging in xcode without the vm overhead

im sure you're just missing the benefits of whatever it is that xcode is doing that requires it to be slow.

also you can use vs to do ios development so theres no need for a human to interact with xcode or osx.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Peeny Cheez posted:

If you must persist on doing this: ceterum censeo iavascripto esse delendam.

ITYM persist IN doing this :smuggo:

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Struggling to get even just a simple mariadb server running was all i needed to convince me that developing on osx is a complete waste of time.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

eschaton posted:

lmao

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

qhat posted:

Struggling to get even just a simple mariadb server running was all i needed to convince me that developing on osx is a complete waste of time.

code:
$ brew install mariadb
$ brew services start mariadb
$ mysql -u root
:confused:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

yeah, doing normal unix poo poo on macs is very nice and easy. xcode is where the pain is.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

eschaton posted:

trap sprung, nice meltdown, etc.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

feedmegin posted:

ITYM persist IN doing this :smuggo:
Holmes, you astound me.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Blinkz0rz posted:

code:
$ brew install mariadb
$ brew services start mariadb
$ mysql -u root
:confused:

gently caress a bunch of brew

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Suspicious Dish posted:

The PS3 architecture was really terrible for games just in general but that's a story for another thread.

idk, this seems like a perfectly good thread for it

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

that story about how the original plan was two cells and no gpu is boggling

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

pseudorandom name posted:

that story about how the original plan was two cells and no gpu is boggling

all rendering done in software on a general-purpose CPU? lmbo

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

no, the cell is mostly terrible CPU cores aka really nice DSP cores

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

fritz posted:

idk, this seems like a perfectly good thread for it

yeah there's no other threads

just some massive SPE's to offload computation on, but god help u if a branch is necessary

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
So, the PS3 was designed like the PS2 was. And the PS2 was designed for console developers -- you know, former arcade guys. People used to bizarre wack-rear end amounts of dumb special hardware and very not used to "multi-platform" development. A port was a real endeavor that basically meant rebuilding the game's code, and often the game's data.

The Xbox 360 came out of Microsoft, who had built Direct3D and was used to handling multiple GPU vendors and drivers and all that stuff, and they ran it like a PC project: build a PC game in Direct3D but with some extra weird stuff and special cases and it'll run well on the XB360. You have a CPU, and a GPU, and some lovely slow memory; go build your game.

The original goal was that, yes, your Cell processors rasterized the game, but they couldn't get the SDK ready in time and the memory bandwidth they required wouldn't be affordable to compete with the Xbox 360. At the last minute, they shoved in this godawful chip that NVIDIA had extras of and wanted to get rid of, basically. They duct taped this thing in there at the last minute. And when I say that, I mean it: it had its own memory that didn't connect to the rest of the Cell SPUs. So you had to initiate these really weird DMAs and such. The pixel processor on it was decently OK, but the vertex processor was somewhere between "extremely broken" and "meh". In order to, say, pass any camera uniforms into it, well, you had to patch the shader source code to supply constants in the code buffer itself. And flush the icaches. And cause a full pipeline stall.

The Cell processor in the PS3 was an extremely powerful device for compute workloads, and a lot of people made cool tech with it, but that doesn't transfer easily over to games.

(Note: the story in here is abridged and exaggerated for your humor)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
did the cell SPUs communicate with anything other than the main ppc core?

i thought they had little or no access to main memory

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

did the cell SPUs communicate with anything other than the main ppc core?

i thought they had little or no access to main memory

they interacted directly with a local store, but an spu could initiate a dma transfer to/from main memory and it's local store or between the local stores of 2 spus.

the cell was neat in the sense that it was sort of a primitive gpgpu in terms of what kinds of workloads it targeted, but a year after they started shipping cell chips nvidia rolled out cuda and we know how that turned out. it seemed like everyone lost interest in the cell pretty quickly after that, except for sony who were stuck with it, and in 2009 ibm officially gave up on it calling the architecture "an evolutionary dead end".

e: i remember seeing some generic benchmarks run on the main ppe processor core in the ps3 and overall it was slower than a powermac g5 running at roughly half the clock speed.

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 05:03 on May 6, 2018

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Suspicious Dish posted:

trap sprung, nice meltdown, etc.

so explain what you think is actually wrong with development on the Mac

and don’t just say “lol I couldn’t figure out how to build MariaDB on non-Linux”

like “VS debugging starts up instantly and is very responsive after startup,” is good feedback (and something we keep making progress on, though some people will assume no change unless LLDB suddenly becomes instant)

Slurps Mad Rips
Jan 25, 2009

Bwaltow!

Suspicious Dish posted:

So, the PS3 was designed like the PS2 was. And the PS2 was designed for console developers -- you know, former arcade guys.

You're forgetting the part where the PS2 was designed to fix PS1 developers complaints. Specifically "The lack of an FPU kind of sucks", so SCJP said "fine, here's 2 VPUs, but they don't work the same and neither one follows IEEE 754, but our own IEEE 754 adjacent implementation whose weirdness isn't documented anywhere... Anyways, have fun!"

Suspicious Dish posted:

The Xbox 360 came out of Microsoft, who had built Direct3D and was used to handling multiple GPU vendors and drivers and all that stuff, and they ran it like a PC project: build a PC game in Direct3D but with some extra weird stuff and special cases and it'll run well on the XB360. You have a CPU, and a GPU, and some lovely slow memory; go build your game.

The GPU and CPU had access to the same memory, which let you do cool things like write a GPU compute garbage collector for your lovely Lua port, but it was all PowerPC in the end, so enjoy your out of order execution anyway my dudes.

Suspicious Dish posted:

The original goal was that, yes, your Cell processors rasterized the game, but they couldn't get the SDK ready in time and the memory bandwidth they required wouldn't be affordable to compete with the Xbox 360. At the last minute, they shoved in this godawful chip that NVIDIA had extras of and wanted to get rid of, basically. They duct taped this thing in there at the last minute. And when I say that, I mean it: it had its own memory that didn't connect to the rest of the Cell SPUs. So you had to initiate these really weird DMAs and such. The pixel processor on it was decently OK, but the vertex processor was somewhere between "extremely broken" and "meh". In order to, say, pass any camera uniforms into it, well, you had to patch the shader source code to supply constants in the code buffer itself. And flush the icaches. And cause a full pipeline stall.

The Cell processor in the PS3 was an extremely powerful device for compute workloads, and a lot of people made cool tech with it, but that doesn't transfer easily over to games.

(Note: the story in here is abridged and exaggerated for your humor)

The RSX was hilarious because it was a modified 7800 GTX and was little endian, and the reason you could only interact with it via DMA is because the Cell's PPU was PowerPC based and big endian as a result.

Word is the RSX gently caress up is what led SCJP executives to give control over the PS4's design to SCEA, but I've only ever heard that from old white dudes perpetuating racists stereotypes at GDC.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Slurps Mad Rips posted:

Word is the RSX gently caress up is what led SCJP executives to give control over the PS4's design to SCEA, but I've only ever heard that from old white dudes perpetuating racists stereotypes at GDC.

less the rsx fuckup specifically, more that the ps3 very nearly bankrupted sony

it is not an accident that the ps4 is designed around commodity hardware

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Slurps Mad Rips posted:

The GPU and CPU had access to the same memory, which let you do cool things like write a GPU compute garbage collector for your lovely Lua port, but it was all PowerPC in the end, so enjoy your out of order execution anyway my dudes.

the xb360 and ps3 were both in-order units iirc. also the 360 didn't have gpu-level compute, it was a lovely fixed-function nvidia thing iirc.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Suspicious Dish posted:

the xb360 and ps3 were both in-order units iirc. also the 360 didn't have gpu-level compute, it was a lovely fixed-function nvidia thing iirc.

the ibm documentation says that the cell ppe is out-of-order, but i don't know if that was for the version they shipped in their blade servers and maybe the ps3 used a cheaper variant? the 360 was definitely in-order though.

the 360 used a then-ati gpu.

e: nevermind, it's in-order but allows limited out-of-order load instructions:

quote:

The PPE core can fetch four instructions at a time, and issue two. In order to improve performance from its in-order pipeline, the PPE utilizes delayed-execution pipelines and allows limited out-of-order execution of load instructions. This allows the PPE to get some of the advantages of out-of-order execution without any significant increase in complexity.

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 05:28 on May 6, 2018

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

The_Franz posted:

the ibm documentation says that the cell ppe is out-of-order, but i don't know if that was for the version they shipped in their blade servers and maybe the ps3 used a cheaper variant?

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/pa-cellperf/

quote:

The PPE consists of a POWER Processing Unit (PPU) connected to a 512KB L2 cache. The PPE is the main processor of the Cell BE, and is responsible for running the operating system and coordinating the SPEs. The key design goals of the PPE are to maximize the performance/power ratio as well as the performance/area ratio. The PPU is a dual-issue, in-order processor with dual-thread support.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

the 360 is three slightly modified cell PPUs, so it’d be in-order too

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

that reminds me, one of the 360 PPU modifications was an load instruction that completely ignored the cache coherency protocol

they discovered the hard way that if that instruction appeared anywhere in the executable, it could get speculatively executed on essentially random memory, which would cause speculative cache loads that ignored the cache coherency protocol and left the cache in a state that would later corrupt memory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

eschaton posted:

so explain what you think is actually wrong with development on the Mac

The fundamental problem is that Apple significantly under-invests in developer tools relative to Microsoft. Microsoft's lead is therefore large and ever-expanding. Thinking about it now, if you count the people working on cross-platform tools like VS Code + its infinitely many extensions, dotnet, powershell, and so forth in addition to the VS for Mac team it's probable that Microsoft employs more people working on developer tools for the Mac than does Apple.