Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Hahaha...I am looking at a kickstarter pilot with the callsign of Scrub whose stats are 9 tac and 2 everything else.

I'm pretty sure I need to hire him. His backstory is that his family thought he sucked, he barely met expectations, he graduated bottom of his class and then the shipped him to some Periphery planet to supervise doctors and then when some attack happened he jumped in an empty mech and showed his aptitude for tactics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It's not like Adam Jensen has any future employment

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Tempest_56 posted:

My time was more spent spamming .n and changing headings by single degrees

This describes my Battletech MUX time too.

Consequently I got really good at driving mechs (really just tanks and tow vehicles) but poo poo at actually shooting things.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Woooowwwww. 4 headshot injuries in one mission before any of my mech armor was even critical.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

TMMadman posted:

Hahaha...I am looking at a kickstarter pilot with the callsign of Scrub whose stats are 9 tac and 2 everything else.

No lie, I hired a generic who was a 2/2/2/8 and never regretted it. Put them in your missile boat and they'll outpace everyone in a hurry since it's so cheap to get them up to a respectable 4/4/4/[whatever their stupid-high tactics score is]

Tactics is the best tree, fite me. Being able to delay, let the enemy advance on you, then attack them twice with most of your forces is great.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Finally bit the bullet and reloaded a save before a mission. Lost 2 pilots in 2 turns to headshots. Not even from SRM or LRM boats, just standard attacks with laser or whatever. Took 7 headshots in two turns, 3+ evasion be damned.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Axetrain posted:

Also lol at the voice actor for Ostergaard, when he showed up I was like "who spilled Deus Ex in my Battletech".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWjrHaQpfd8

I'm more surprised that Adam Jensen was the earth spy in The Expanse!

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Wizard Styles posted:

Mission begins, Sumire drops the squad off next to a lake.

Glitch: "Let's get this over with so we can go swimming!" :yayclod:

Started a mission in a snowy field.

Glitch: "I wonder if we'll see bears!" :yayclod:

Glitch is the best. :allears:

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Boy howdy that got bad.

Had 9 or so months of funds saved, my company was doing alright. Jump into an Assassination mission.

Easily clear the first side of reinforcements, target drops in with the second group. Last time I did an Assassination the target booked it as soon as I killed all his buddies, so I start focusing him.

Whoops, bad idea, they get lucky and kill my new guy because I'm ignoring the group to focus on this Heavy. Whatever, my bad, I'm still good here.

Keep fighting, tear down two of his four buddies. Suddenly my MC gets hit and gets a CT destroyed, out for the count. gently caress. Full health to zero there, that was also my bad. I should have been paying more attention. Whatever, it's Glitch and Dekker vs a Spider, Wolverine and a Thunderbolt, both at full health/armor, both in Mediums. This'll be easy.

Jump Glitch out to shoot her PPC, and suddenly the Wolverine DFAs her. Instant Headshot crit, she's dead. Dekker turns and kills the Spider, then kills the Wolverine.

Thunderbolt is at 50% structure, Dekker is still doing great, I can handle this. This got real hosed but I can handle this. Nope Thunderbolt runs up, punches Dekker in the head and we get a forced retreat.

It'll take 4-5 months for everyone to heal up. Glitch stays dead. Costs of repairing all my mechs eats away all my funds. By the time they are healed we'll be bankrupt. Good game.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

No lie, I hired a generic who was a 2/2/2/8 and never regretted it. Put them in your missile boat and they'll outpace everyone in a hurry since it's so cheap to get them up to a respectable 4/4/4/[whatever their stupid-high tactics score is]

Tactics is the best tree, fite me. Being able to delay, let the enemy advance on you, then attack them twice with most of your forces is great.

Plus the called shot bonus. And indirect penalty reduction. And the minimal range reduction....

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

OddObserver posted:

Plus the called shot bonus. And indirect penalty reduction. And the minimal range reduction....

Tactics 2 / Guts 1 seems like the pro choice.

Pity I wasn't smart enough to take it on any of my dudes.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Gunnery 2/Guts 1 pro tier pilot. Bring 4 awesomes and four pilots with those skills. Breach shot PPCs on everyone in range every round. :science:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

OddObserver posted:

You can get all of those along with Gun2/Guts1 fwiw

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I don't think there's sufficient appreciation in this thread for how loving rad the OST for this game is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfqy_Lsu_3s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkNnunHW7IA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4sdpMcYuxQ

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 20:31 on May 5, 2018

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Breach shot is great but you are splitting damage. Tactical Mastery has its place for making sure that your Assault goes before all their Assaults, which is great for having a King Crab pop out of cover and double tap something in the chest.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Finally bit the bullet and reloaded a save before a mission. Lost 2 pilots in 2 turns to headshots. Not even from SRM or LRM boats, just standard attacks with laser or whatever. Took 7 headshots in two turns, 3+ evasion be damned.

Tried it again and a mech walked up and destroyed my PCs head with a punch the round after we made visual contact. This is fine.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
The gunnery skills are great until the very end of the campaign when you mostly just want to drop rediculous alpha strike CT shots on everyone, at which point either piloting or tactics are generally better (tactics IMO, tactical mastery is great).

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Alchenar posted:

Breach shot is great but you are splitting damage. Tactical Mastery has its place for making sure that your Assault goes before all their Assaults, which is great for having a King Crab pop out of cover and double tap something in the chest.

To be fair lets say the enemy is braced, the hypothetical awesome can shoot 2 PPC's at one target to do the same damage for double the heat, or hit two seperate targets for full damage. You do the same damage to one target, but have the added bonus of hurting another.

Emy
Apr 21, 2009
You can't use called shots with multi targeting, though.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Great Beer posted:

Gunnery 2/Guts 1 pro tier pilot. Bring 4 awesomes and four pilots with those skills. Breach shot PPCs on everyone in range every round. :science:
This route also happens to give you almost all of the good poo poo that you can get from Tactics too.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
What I love about the tactics tree is you get all the good stuff (min range, called shot bonus, reduced indirect fire penalty) without having to take the mediocre abilities. :cool:

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
The beauty of Multishot/Breach is that you should theoretically quickly learn what'll do what to what mechs.

So if you do run into a situation where, let's say you have a Thunderbolt with a CT that's real low, bad structure, a broken arm, etc you can instead just focus a single AC10 on him knowing it'll kill him. Maybe putting a laser into the mix as well for insurance. But then you can plug your other AC10/other lasers into starting on the next guy, which'll set him up for your other teammates to finish off. Rather then having to just focus on the guy with 3% health remaining and "wasting" a turn.

It's also real good for LRM boats, because if you have MS/SL/TM you get to go VERY first ( and you can also do some reserve fuckery to go twice. ), and you can just loving rip everyone's evasion away, then blast them again before your team can start ripping into them.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Only stumbled upon this today and it looks fantastic. Does anyone remember a mid 90s game called Missionforce: Cyberstorm? Am I right to think this is in that vein? That’s one of my favourite games of all time.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

kaesarsosei posted:

Only stumbled upon this today and it looks fantastic. Does anyone remember a mid 90s game called Missionforce: Cyberstorm? Am I right to think this is in that vein? That’s one of my favourite games of all time.

:respek: Yeah, its pretty similar. Cyberstorm 2 is one of my all time faves.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Lancer (Bulwark, Multi, Breach) definitely seems like the best all-around skill set, but tactics is useful enough that I generally want at least one Vanguard.

Piloting is the only tree that feels weak to me, but maybe that's because I don't tend to use lights or melee enough for Ace Pilot to be worth a drat.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

kaesarsosei posted:

Boto remembers,

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Okay, why do I have a 2% called shot chance to hit heads, but enemies hit my head twice a mission minimum?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Jack2142 posted:

To be fair lets say the enemy is braced, the hypothetical awesome can shoot 2 PPC's at one target to do the same damage for double the heat, or hit two seperate targets for full damage. You do the same damage to one target, but have the added bonus of hurting another.

There's plenty of instances where the enemy isn't braced and you want to take them down hard. My endgame squad was two guys with 2 Guns/1 Guts, one 1 Guns/2 Tactics and one 1 Guts/2 Tactics

Also you don't shoot at the enemy when they're braced and you don't have breaching, you either focus fire on something else or you deny line of sight and sprint for a better position.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Nasgate posted:

Okay, why do I have a 2% called shot chance to hit heads, but enemies hit my head twice a mission minimum?

The enemy shoots your four mechs more than you shoot the enemy, thus your mechs catch random headshots more often

Called shot chances don't really enter into this

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Nasgate posted:

:xcom:

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Nasgate posted:

I'm nearly convinced by now that enemies are just straight up more likely to hit the head.

You can explain some of the discrepancy with the fact that the enemy attacks more often since the player is usually outnumbered and it's not always possible to break enemy formations up enough to finish all of them off piecemeal. But not all of it.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Emy posted:

You can't use called shots with multi targeting, though.

You can't hit multiple targets with called shots

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Wizard Styles posted:

I'm nearly convinced by now that enemies are just straight up more likely to hit the head.

You can explain some of the discrepancy with the fact that the enemy attacks more often since the player is usually outnumbered and it's not always possible to break enemy formations up enough to finish all of them off piecemeal. But not all of it.

People have extensively examined the contact code, it's just confirmation bias my dudes

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Piloting works well on jumpy heavy mechs and can do well on jump-capable assaults as well, as long as you never stop jumping. 5-6 evasion pips on an assault mech is pretty nice.

Also the prevalence of head hits to players seems to be mostly due to AI LRM spam. Indirect fire seems to have an elevated head hit chance in my experience, whether it's the player or the AI on the receiving end.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Headshots are base 1% chance and if you are always fighting 4v8 or more than you should expect to see twice as many received headshots than you deal out per mission.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I have refit my Firestarter with 6 MGs because it consistently takes both torsos off anything stupid enough to store ammo in both torsos with backstab jumps.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Rygar201 posted:

People have extensively examined the contact code, it's just confirmation bias my dudes

Yeah, RNG is RNG. I had missions where I had to reload because of literally dozens of head shots slowly killing all my pilots, followed by the rematch turning into a cakewalk due to the enemy mechs violently exploding as soon as a single hit touched them.

Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. :shrug:

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Night10194 posted:

I have refit my Firestarter with 6 MGs because it consistently takes both torsos off anything stupid enough to store ammo in both torsos with backstab jumps.

So basically every mech with ammo because the AI drives stock and all the stock builds have ammo crammed in their torsos for some reason.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Skippy McPants posted:

So basically every mech with ammo because the AI drives stock and all the stock builds have ammo crammed in their torsos for some reason.

The secret power of MGs is that they are forged of pure ammunition explosions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Eej posted:

Headshots are base 1% chance and if you are always fighting 4v8 or more than you should expect to see twice as many received headshots than you deal out per mission.
Only if the mission is a straight up 4v8 shootout with no mechs ever going down from start to finish and the involved mechs all have the same amount of weapons.
Which is not terribly likely.

And the game does fudge rolls, so I wouldn't put giving enemies a headshot bonus to force mechwarrior rotation past it. But if people really have actually looked into the code to such an extent as to be able to say that's not the case, well, confirmation bias it is I guess.