Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
the default assumption should always be confirmation bias unless someone actually does code diving, to be honest

people are really, really bad at trying to 'look in' at an RNG system and determine if it's fair or not, like, literally awful. it's how brains are wired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Psion posted:

the default assumption should always be confirmation bias unless someone actually does code diving, to be honest

people are really, really bad at trying to 'look in' at an RNG system and determine if it's fair or not, like, literally awful. it's how brains are wired.

RNG or not it isn't exactly good game design?

Like in XCOM I can look at a move and know exactly how it's going to play out. The two enemies that can fire on him do combined 8 damage, I have 9 HP, as long as neither crit he should be fine. This is a calculated move I can make.

Sometimes you make bad calls and expose a 3rd enemy. Sometimes they get that crit. Sometimes you gently caress up. That's fine. That's "XCOM."

In Battletech I've had matches where a Cicada rolled up, hit my Heavy/Assault and got a lucky crit on the CT and boom, Mechwarrior down. Felt like I hosed up, but in a good way. That's Battletech!

In Battletech I've had dudes melee me/DFA me and get a head critical. Mechwarrior down. Again, it's my fuckup. That's Battletech!

In both cases I could have, and I should have done better. I had ways of mitigating that, or doing it better/differently that I didn't use properly. I learned from those experiences, and they happen super rarely in the campaign.

For a 1% chance to headshot, I've had numerous missions now where I've gotten 3 LRM Head Hits in a row and it didn't feel good. Hell, I've had numerous missions where I'll just get Head Hits from way offscreen on the first turn. I tend to get 3-5 Head Hits per match. Meanwhile I've never scored a single Head Hit despite having a SRM boat and a LRM boat and dumping constantly. It feels skewed even outside of confirmation bias. But hell, even if it's right, it's not fun. Getting a bad hit like that doesn't make me feel like I hosed up, it makes me feel like the game is bullshit, because there was nothing I could have done to counter that. No better planning, no "that's Battletech.".

Just gently caress you, here's some head hits.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

AI uses a lot of poo poo that has multiple rolls. Like any given locust is throwing eleven dice to hit that 1%.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It's not good or bad design - some games are inherently more deterministic than others. Battle Brothers is a great mercenary company game where RANDOM DECAPITATION happens and you just lose people.

The problem I think Battletech has is that because you see Mechs rather than Mechwarriors and because mechwarriors don't get that distinctive you never get attached to them. Everyone remembers losing Dekker and probably the other members of the original squad - you probably don't remember the others.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I have Behemoth run in to punch the last mech to death on a mission, figuring the red pips on the ground are for geothermal.

She gets crushed underneath the dropship.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Skippy McPants posted:

Lancer (Bulwark, Multi, Breach) definitely seems like the best all-around skill set, but tactics is useful enough that I generally want at least one Vanguard.

Piloting is the only tree that feels weak to me, but maybe that's because I don't tend to use lights or melee enough for Ace Pilot to be worth a drat.
I'll probably obsess over quality skill picks rather than essentially just trying combos because combos are cool on a replay.

But Bulwark + Good At Guns seems to be the safest 'Eh, who cares what they are driving or what my tactics are' combo. Plus Bulwark and Multishot are skills you can feed an off the shelf 2/3/etc rookie in short order.

I'm sure I'll be regretting my commander skill picks once enough time passes and enough tonnage enters my mechbay. Feeling jealous of my (hopefully) NPC Ace Pilot grasshoppers going hog wild.

But Bulwark+Multishot is certainly feeling worthwhile in my early game Enforcer.

"Commander, how the gently caress did you come out of Weldry with every torso exposed, missing most of your head armor, and STILL not have anything blown up?"

"Well maybe if ANYONE ELSE could make their loving called shots, I wouldn't NEED to come back into LRM range to finish off the Trebuchet and Jagermech myself :argh: I don't pay these guys to have more called shot bonuses than I do for their random commando headcapping."

kater posted:

AI uses a lot of poo poo that has multiple rolls. Like any given locust is throwing eleven dice to hit that 1%.
In the very early stage of the game, you can start to fear Locusts more than SRM carriers and Demolishers that still only appear one at a time, MAYBE two, tops.

"Okay guys, we have range on the Demolisher and can disable them at our leisure-OH gently caress IT'S A LOCUST! I don't want to go back to the hospita-MOTHER FUCKER"

Section Z fucked around with this message at 22:00 on May 5, 2018

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

in addition to everything else, doesn't this game's dice have both a streakbreaker AND a spread-squash (shots displayed as 85% are closer to 74% behind the scenes, opposite direction at less than 50% shots--'cause nailing bad shots feels good i guess???? or maybe to balance the ai's lovely tactical judgment/lack of Reserve power)

so fairness doesn't really enter into it anymore :v:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Alchenar posted:

It's not good or bad design - some games are inherently more deterministic than others. Battle Brothers is a great mercenary company game where RANDOM DECAPITATION happens and you just lose people.

The problem I think Battletech has is that because you see Mechs rather than Mechwarriors and because mechwarriors don't get that distinctive you never get attached to them. Everyone remembers losing Dekker and probably the other members of the original squad - you probably don't remember the others.

Also, part of the meta strategy of this game is dealing with it when poo poo goes wrong, which is why sometimes poo poo just goes wrong.

Nion
Jun 8, 2008

Every time I build a mech I seem to end up with either all LRMs and no armor, or all Medium Lasers and SRMs. Perhaps an occasional AC20. Building anything with a preferred range in between those two just doesn't feel viable with the current numbers.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Rookersh posted:

Like in XCOM I can look at a move and know exactly how it's going to play out. The two enemies that can fire on him do combined 8 damage, I have 9 HP, as long as neither crit he should be fine. This is a calculated move I can make.

Sometimes you make bad calls and expose a 3rd enemy. Sometimes they get that crit. Sometimes you gently caress up. That's fine. That's "XCOM."

In Battletech I've had matches where a Cicada rolled up, hit my Heavy/Assault and got a lucky crit on the CT and boom, Mechwarrior down. Felt like I hosed up, but in a good way. That's Battletech!

In Battletech I've had dudes melee me/DFA me and get a head critical. Mechwarrior down. Again, it's my fuckup. That's Battletech!

In both cases I could have, and I should have done better. I had ways of mitigating that, or doing it better/differently that I didn't use properly. I learned from those experiences, and they happen super rarely in the campaign.

For a 1% chance to headshot, I've had numerous missions now where I've gotten 3 LRM Head Hits in a row and it didn't feel good. Hell, I've had numerous missions where I'll just get Head Hits from way offscreen on the first turn. I tend to get 3-5 Head Hits per match. Meanwhile I've never scored a single Head Hit despite having a SRM boat and a LRM boat and dumping constantly. It feels skewed even outside of confirmation bias. But hell, even if it's right, it's not fun. Getting a bad hit like that doesn't make me feel like I hosed up, it makes me feel like the game is bullshit, because there was nothing I could have done to counter that. No better planning, no "that's Battletech.".

Just gently caress you, here's some head hits.

Gambit: "that's Battletech Mon Cheri"

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Given the combination of number of attacks and action economy, 1% is too high imo.

On the other end, standing at a downed mechs head and getting a 2% chance to hit is p dumb.

I still love this game though. Just have to adjust to its Byzantine internal logic.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Tae posted:

It's not like Adam Jensen has any future employment

:catstare:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Well it's true. His employment is almost 1000 years in the past.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Ciaphas posted:

in addition to everything else, doesn't this game's dice have both a streakbreaker AND a spread-squash (shots displayed as 85% are closer to 74% behind the scenes, opposite direction at less than 50% shots--'cause nailing bad shots feels good i guess???? or maybe to balance the ai's lovely tactical judgment/lack of Reserve power)

so fairness doesn't really enter into it anymore :v:
You got it the wrong way around: shots above 50% are boosted and shots below 50% are penalized
https://www.reddit.com/r/Battletechgame/comments/8gjr3j/displayed_hit_percentages_above_50_are_boosted/

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Insert name here posted:

You got it the wrong way around: shots above 50% are boosted and shots below 50% are penalized
https://www.reddit.com/r/Battletechgame/comments/8gjr3j/displayed_hit_percentages_above_50_are_boosted/

drat it, i was intelligent once :arghfist::saddowns:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Insert name here posted:

To be fair someone posted this on Reddit the other way first, it got corrected later

Nion posted:

Every time I build a mech I seem to end up with either all LRMs and no armor, or all Medium Lasers and SRMs. Perhaps an occasional AC20. Building anything with a preferred range in between those two just doesn't feel viable with the current numbers.

Congrats you can do simple arithmetic and are smarter than 90% of the grognards who are feverishly nerfing the AC5 for the crime of not being 100% terrible to use all the time.

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Wizard Styles posted:

The saddest mech.

Mech should be named the "Garrus".

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Nion posted:

I've been adopting an AC20 and then melee approach for everything other than my black knight...the black knight is all medium and small lasers (it out discos the hunchback).

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

ulmont posted:

I've been adopting an AC20 and then melee approach for everything other than my black knight...the black knight is all medium and small lasers (it out discos the hunchback).

Medium Lasers++ with +10 Damage are hilariously broken on the hunchback.

180 Damage/round forever? Don't mind if I do.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I must be broken, I'm running very light on energy weapons, usually I pack an AC/5 or /10 and a bevvy of SRMs on Mechs that aren't designated LRM throwers.

Though I'm rolling in improved ACs and SRM packs, aint found poo poo for even + MLas'.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 5, 2018

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
I'm getting a patch, anyone have the notes? It's almost 800 MB

Also I hate when developers gently caress with to-hit percentages. Just show what they are, it's fun to watch babies cry about it.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Arrath posted:

I must be broken, I'm running very light on energy weapons, usually I pack an AC/5 or /10 and a bevvy of SRMs on Mechs that aren't designated LRM throwers.

Though I'm rolling in improved ACs and SRM packs, aint found poo poo for even + MLas'.

The heat output on the Large Lasers and PPCs makes them a tough fit, but mediums and smalls are very efficient, and add up to a lot on something like the disco Hunchback or the Grasshopper.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Outfit a grasshopper with nothing but lasers on night missions and host disco parties.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
I'm running mediums+smalls+JJs on all my brawler mechs and the stand up snipers are all PPC+LRMs (except for Gauss+LRM+LL highlander). I love my dumb triple LRM5, double PPC Orion, that thing is a beast. Until I hit the heavy and assault only phase of the game I never stopped using the triple AC5 Jagermech, Behemoth was basically living in it for 80% of the game.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Huh. I never thought of putting 3 AC5s on the Jaeger. The asymmetry would drive me nuts.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Eej posted:

Headshots are base 1% chance and if you are always fighting 4v8 or more than you should expect to see twice as many received headshots than you deal out per mission.

Is this per weapon or overall? Because if its per weapon enemies generally have larger numbers of shittier weapons so there's more chance of a cockpit hit.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I'm still trying to find an assault mech so I popped in a trap mission just to see if it was worth doing. The main pack is demolisher, shreck, LRM carrier, manticore - ouch enough but the reinforcements that spawn right next to them are an LRM jaeger, catapult C1 (LRMs) and a grasshopper.
I rather fancy the catapult but it's not going to be fun wasing through the poo poo to get it.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Got my first assault, a banshee, what do I do with it? It comes by default with 2 ppc and that seems underwhelming. Maybe like 8mlas and 5-6 small lasers?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Banshee or Zeus: Which is a sicker joke on the driver?

Chaos341
Aug 13, 2010

Night10194 posted:

The Banshee or Zeus: Which is a sicker joke on the driver?

The Banshee, a Zeus can at least be a sick joke with lrms.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

OddObserver posted:

The heat output on the Large Lasers and PPCs makes them a tough fit, but mediums and smalls are very efficient, and add up to a lot on something like the disco Hunchback or the Grasshopper.

Well I just fitted out a Grasshopper with max JJs 7 MLas and 6 MGs. So here goes.

Max armor on this thing leaves 0.19 tons free wtf is that. :argh:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Rookersh posted:

XCOM is a really bad example for this because every difficulty level below Legendary actually has a hidden bonus to the player's chance to hit so your hit % is higher than what is actually shown on screen.

Party Plane Jones posted:

Is this per weapon or overall? Because if its per weapon enemies generally have larger numbers of shittier weapons so there's more chance of a cockpit hit.

Yep I forgot to mention that stock mechs tend to have more weapons which means more chances at random glancing blows to the head.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I've noticed that MGs are really good at rolling random head hits for similar reasons probably

Sonderval
Sep 10, 2011
I just got a Victor for my first assault from a lucky head shot ... not really sure what to make of it, even with the AC20 it seems underwhelming for an "assault".

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Less armor, jump jets and heat sinks means more guns!

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Ciaphas posted:

I don't think there's sufficient appreciation in this thread for how loving rad the OST for this game is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfqy_Lsu_3s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkNnunHW7IA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4sdpMcYuxQ

It is really really good

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Sonderval posted:

I just got a Victor for my first assault from a lucky head shot ... not really sure what to make of it, even with the AC20 it seems underwhelming for an "assault".

In this game, the Victor, Zeus, and Battlemaster all have the same free tonnage as the Onion and Black Knight so all you're getting on them is a bit more armor and fewer guns (because more weight spent on armor).

But hey, at least they're not the Banshee!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Eej posted:

XCOM is a really bad example for this because every difficulty level below Legendary actually has a hidden bonus to the player's chance to hit so your hit % is higher than what is actually shown on screen.

There's this, but they also said "as long as nobody crits" well, there are a lot more shots going off in any given round of BT and you're gonna get crits, especially when some weapons are dedicated critseekers. This is how BT works.

taking pilot hits is just poo poo happens, that's why you have a medbay. Don't even stress on them. Now headcaps, those are something where it's specifically been tuned to prevent all but a very few weapons from being able to one-hit you straight to dead, and that's (i mean, obviously) intentional

cugel
Jan 22, 2010

Skippy McPants posted:

In this game, the Victor, Zeus, and Battlemaster all have the same free tonnage as the Onion and Black Knight so all you're getting on them is a bit more armor and fewer guns (because more weight spent on armor).

I want an onion mech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Tarezax posted:

I've noticed that MGs are really good at rolling random head hits for similar reasons probably
Yeah, LRMs cluster and can't hit the head unless the first missile hits it but with SRMs and MGs every shot rolls individually.