Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

dragonshardz posted:

Pathfinding is pretty heavily CPU-bound so the less of it there is, the better your FPS will be.

At this point I'm really hoping that C:S 2 moves on to using GPU pathfinding. Recent GPU based techniques for solving traveling salesmen problems are anywhere from 5 to 300 times faster than CPU based calculations. One of Nvidia's dedicated computing GPUs can perform tens of billions of moves per second on a network of 10,000 nodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

turn off the TV posted:

At this point I'm really hoping that C:S 2 moves on to using GPU pathfinding. Recent GPU based techniques for solving traveling salesmen problems are anywhere from 5 to 300 times faster than CPU based calculations. One of Nvidia's dedicated computing GPUs can perform tens of billions of moves per second on a network of 10,000 nodes.

That likely depends on if Unity implements it, and how willing CO is to hack it in if not.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

dragonshardz posted:

That likely depends on if Unity implements it, and how willing CO is to hack it in if not.

Unity is implementing a bunch of additional GPU calculation systems for its back end in order to to support ray-tracing, which coincidentally is the nstuff being used for GPU route solving.

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God
Can anyone suggest a good, up to date workshop collection with plenty of interchange, lane, and public transport mods? I just reinstalled this and want to make something.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

JFC posted:

Can anyone suggest a good, up to date workshop collection with plenty of interchange, lane, and public transport mods? I just reinstalled this and want to make something.

I don't think you need a collection for that. NeXT2 and TM:PE will cover most lane/traffic stuff. Add Metro Overhaul Mod for, y'know, Metro and then take a poke around the Roads category maybe? There are some useful and nice roads in there among the cruft.

If you can be more specific about your idea I can find more stuff to help you accomplish it.

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

Loot at all this bullshit.
Who lets something like this happen?
made some ye olde rowhouses

sidenote: why is the tag for this thread not "YOU WILL REGRET THIS!!!!"

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

turn off the TV posted:

Probably not going to happen soon because C:S is explicitly designed to work on mediocre computers and GPU power is far more expensive than CPU power. Right?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Eric the Mauve posted:

Probably not going to happen soon because C:S is explicitly designed to work on mediocre computers and GPU power is far more expensive than CPU power. Right?

It really depends on what you're doing with the GPU, but if you're computing stuff that the GPU is good at (huge numbers of parallel computations) then it's way, way faster and way, way cheaper to do it on the GPU than CPU. One of the studies I was looking at from 2012 compared a GTX 680 to two 16 core CPUs clocked at 2.3 Ghz and the 680 was significantly outperforming them. This should be true for just about any card built in the 2010s. I read some similar articles about large scale traffic simulations doing most of their work on GPU's having good results as well.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

donoteat posted:

It actually was something along the lines of "BUY THIS GAME YOU WILL NOT REGRET THIS!!!!" for a while.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

donoteat posted:

These are awesome! I need a little section in my city for them. Too bad I don’t have cobblestone streets to add in....

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

xergm posted:

It actually was something along the lines of "BUY THIS GAME YOU WILL NOT REGRET THIS!!!!" for a while.

I also have 0 regrets about buying this game or any of the DLC. All of it has added enough functionality for modders to build off of which is 90% of the reason i bought this game anyway.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

donoteat posted:

This was the SimCity 2013 thread title.

Because you'd actually regret it.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
And I surely did.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Right hand side is blurred, left hand side is neural net export. Beneath is the neural net image with some basic erosion done in Wilbur.

:science:

Still a decent amount of training left to do. I'm using roughly 2 million square kilometers worth of 10 meter DEM data covering all of Alaska and a large extent of the western United States, and I'm in the process of downloading a thousand or so square kilometers worth of 1 meter DEM data. The eventual goal is to have three models, one of them for very low detail, one medium detail and one for high detail. By using any or all of the models you should be able to work with any amount of detail without having to worry too much about making the first input image too detailed or too blurry.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 00:03 on May 10, 2018

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

turn off the TV posted:

Right hand side is blurred, left hand side is neural net export. Beneath is the neural net image with some basic erosion done in Wilbur.

:science:

Still a decent amount of training left to do. I'm using roughly 2 million square kilometers worth of 10 meter DEM data covering all of Alaska and a large extent of the western United States, and I'm in the process of downloading a thousand or so square kilometers worth of 1 meter DEM data. The eventual goal is to have three models, one of them for very low detail, one medium detail and one for high detail. By using any or all of the models you should be able to work with any amount of detail without having to worry too much about making the first input image too detailed or too blurry.

So this would, for example, let us take non-US terrain data from terrain.party and sharpen it from "blurry mess" to something usable?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

dragonshardz posted:

So this would, for example, let us take non-US terrain data from terrain.party and sharpen it from "blurry mess" to something usable?

That's something it could do, but at the moment the output of the neural net isn't any better than the ASTER or SRTM 4.1 data available from terrain.party. Assuming that the areas you're looking at aren't covered by those data sets then it'd be a pretty big improvement.

After it has trained enough to start generating its own details it should be an improvement for pretty much anything non U.S. from terrain.party. The caveat there is that I don't know how long that will take or if it'll actually happen.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 05:10 on May 10, 2018

Nova69
Jul 12, 2012

Anyone able to recommend some district styles/building collections to complement European + European Suburbia? The residential side of things is pretty well covered by those two, but low density commercial seems to have mainly modern buildings, which doesn't really fit in with the aesthetic.

Opals25
Jun 21, 2006

TOURISTS SPOTTED, TWELVE O'CLOCK
Apparently Parklife's demo city was made by Strictoaster and he's posting his build process for it on his Youtube channel. That explains the wall to wall buildings, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWNFqE5zn8g

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

I accidentally bought two copies of Cities Skylines - Snowfall on Greenmangaming just a few hours ago and they just told me they won't refund me. If anyone wants the key PM me. I'll try to be quick about replying.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

afkmacro posted:

I accidentally bought two copies of Cities Skylines - Snowfall on Greenmangaming just a few hours ago and they just told me they won't refund me. If anyone wants the key PM me. I'll try to be quick about replying.

Aw crap I don't have PM but if by any chance you see this post and nobody PMs you before...

https://steamcommunity.com/id/negrostrike/

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Negrostrike posted:

Aw crap I don't have PM but if by any chance you see this post and nobody PMs you before...

https://steamcommunity.com/id/negrostrike/

Sent invite.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

afkmacro posted:

Sent invite.

Thanks for these sweet trams!

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

donoteat posted:

These look nice.

Anyone know of a pack that does something similar for Montreal 2-3 storey row houses?

Cyberwasted
Mar 28, 2005
Internet Proctologist
There's a Steam sale on the game right now, which DLC should I buy with the game? I don't have money for the whole bundle.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ExtraNoise posted:

This was the SimCity 2013 thread title.

Because you'd actually regret it.

I still love how they timed the beta to be exactly as long as it'd take to fully finish/fill a city.

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006

Cyberwasted posted:

There's a Steam sale on the game right now, which DLC should I buy with the game? I don't have money for the whole bundle.

I came here to ask the same thing, I know there was a list in this thread somewhere but I can't find it

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Page 383 is where the most recent DLC breakdown was. I'd just quote it but multiple people chimed in with info.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
Anyone get a chance to make some cool parks yet?

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Ah the ol' "wait for everyone to update their mods after a major update" dance.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Are there any mods that actually improve performance? I find the game starts to run sluggishly as soon as a city hits a decent size. Probably my computer showing its age, but it would be nice if there were a way to at least delay the slowdown until the city gets really big.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Cyberwasted posted:

As noted, check out page 383, but the real answer is none at them if you're at all on a budget.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

vyelkin posted:

Are there any mods that actually improve performance? I find the game starts to run sluggishly as soon as a city hits a decent size. Probably my computer showing its age, but it would be nice if there were a way to at least delay the slowdown until the city gets really big.

The one that removes seagulls from parks give a little boost cause it removes a bunch of agents from the maps. I’m tempted to get the park dlc even though it’ll probably be overpriced garbage

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I saw the DLC sale and realized I haven't played since 2015. Has this game changed significantly through updates are mods since then? Specifically in regards to city management and making the customizer thing less annoying/time consuming?

edit: Also would appreciate some must have mods suggestions

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 22:20 on May 26, 2018

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Google Butt posted:

I saw the DLC sale and realized I haven't played since 2015. Has this game changed significantly through updates are mods since then? Specifically in regards to city management and making the customizer thing less annoying/time consuming?

edit: Also would appreciate some must have mods suggestions

100% of the game's development since 2015 has been an increasingly complex web of "essential" mods that constantly get disrupted every time CO uploads their latest stuff-pack.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!
Are trams really that good? I don't think there's anything else about Snowfall that I really want and it doesn't seem like trams would be worth it, but I'm willing to consider the possibility. I already have After Dark and I'm probably going to pick up Mass Transit this time around.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
They're just trams. If you like trams then they're good. If you don't care they're not really any different than other public transport options. The main thing with them is you can set them into existing road networks but buses do that too.

None of the expansions are really must haves. Buy them if you like the things they add.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Bike paths and bikes are really really good and worth buying After Dark for by themselves.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

is there a discord for this, i have questions.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

hailthefish posted:

Bike paths and bikes are really really good and worth buying After Dark for by themselves.
But you can't combine them with bus lanes, trams, monorail or any other combinations. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

As someone who has never played Cities: Skylines, what's the best way to get into it?

It's on sale right now for $7.49. Should I just go with that? Are the DLCs important, or does the base game have enough where it will be a long time before I care about them? Also, is this game and it's DLC something that's available on Humble Bundle often like Tropico?