Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i wonder if the guy has bipolar disorder or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Sagebrush posted:

i wonder if the guy has bipolar disorder or something

i was gonna guess coke habit, but yeah maybe he is mentally ill.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Improbable is season 9, isn't it. I ended up seeing it by chance and I think it's good, so there.

It's like a classic mysterious murder episode meets Lost Highway with extra comedy.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

can i start a boring company; filling the musky business inside his bushes

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

President Beep posted:

i was gonna guess coke habit, but yeah maybe he is mentally ill.

also what did i say about doxxing me already, cmon

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

what happened to his media empire

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Krankenstyle posted:

also what did i say about doxxing me already, cmon

sorry! that was supposed to be a pm to lowtax!

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

TimWinter posted:

This fun article just showed up in my feed, apparently Jeff Bezos stepped in personally to help find someone's dog! It turns out an evil amazon driver stole the pup and Bezos, uh, foiled his evil plan?

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2018/05/04/puppy-stolen-by-amazon-driver-returned-after-owner-emails-jeff-bezos.html

This is one of those stories where the plot doesn't really invite scrutiny. For instance, why did the driver steal the puppy? And how did the guy get a hold of JB's email address, did he just guess "jeff.bezos@amazon.com"?Also, how did the CEO getting involved turn up the dog? Did the driver get fired or is this a "drivers will be drivers" slap on the wrist scenario?

The plus side is that the roles are pretty clear. Bezos is the hero and the people who work for him are puppy theives that Bezos personally keeps in line.

there is a team of people who go through the e-mails that go to jeff@amazon.com and bounce them to the right team with the expectation that you better fix it. im p sure it was the same thing with e-mail steve jobs

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I used to report security and other bugs to jeff@amazon.com, but haven't had to do that in like 10 years. Whatever team they have manning that address was pretty responsive and always fixed stuff quickly.

the site used to be a real trainwreck

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

syscall girl posted:

best episodes (imho) are Drive feat. the guy from breaking bad and Je Souhaite

as a child that plot was very upsetting because we drove a lot and what if it could happen to anyone???

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Pryor on Fire posted:

I used to report security and other bugs to jeff@amazon.com, but haven't had to do that in like 10 years. Whatever team they have manning that address was pretty responsive and always fixed stuff quickly.

the site used to be a real trainwreck

it is still a visual and product quality train wreck, admittedly, but jeef probably doesn't care about that stuff

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Agile Vector posted:

as a child that plot was very upsetting because we drove a lot and what if it could happen to anyone???

interesting take

i just saw it as walter white vs. duchovny

hey is that nose jewish?

thanks for the ride but it's jewish are you jewish? jew

and mulder was like uh, yeah sure trying to save your dumb life

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
can't wait to hear arguments about how he went back and time and invented the chocolate bar himself

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

hobbesmaster posted:

thats because duchovny made them move to LA and then didn't show up anyways

that happened for season 6 but yeah duchovny was the source of a lot of issues

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

syscall girl posted:

part of me wants to do pcp because it's a dissociative like ketamine and dxm* but i'm afraid i will lift my neighbor's car up and throw it through her window because how do you even leave a dog in there, dog is barking at all hours and just put it in your house ffs

*ask j290 about that one

typically PCP won't induce mania unless you take too much. the problem is the dosages are like 1-3mg and 10+ can trigger mania, very small therapeutic window.

3-meo-pcp is supposed to be really good though.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

a friend of mine developed epilepsy after a few years of heavy dxm use

he got himself a chemistry license so that he could order the stuff directly

it might not've caused it but it sure didn't help and now he's not allowed to drive a car because his seizures are bad enough

yeah the serotonin activity with dxm in particular will really gently caress you up with repeated long term use

there's been a few cases I've seen of people abusing diphenhydramine enough to start developing weird allergies and permanent autoimmune stuff like eczema and psoriasis

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Sagebrush posted:

you stink, mister

you didn't even bother to do a couple of different levels of blur to properly simulate depth of field. the chain the foreground is exactly as blurred as the bridge towers

if you duplicate the original layer, apply a Gaussian blur then add a vector or regular mask, throw that layer in a folder and apply a mask to that that's a normal black to white gradient you can get a real good simulation of dof.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah isnt there a thing bout doctors being pretty fucken bad pilots

isn't there a name for this fallacy? it's not dunning-kreuger, it's when you assume being good at one thing means you're good at other things ex: doctors crashing planes and losing money on the stock market

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

SENSUAL DAD KISS posted:

yeah the serotonin activity with dxm in particular will really gently caress you up with repeated long term use

that episode of intervention with the dxm Addict eating French fries off the ground outside

quote:

there's been a few cases I've seen of people abusing diphenhydramine enough to start developing weird allergies and permanent autoimmune stuff like eczema and psoriasis

also Alzheimer’s lol

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

exploded mummy posted:

do not diss jose chung's from outer space

President Beep posted:

i never minded that stuff. jose chung’s from outer space is good fun.

:spooky::hf::spooky:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

SENSUAL DAD KISS posted:

oh wow

i was writing a paper on neurotoxicity from mdma while drinking the tussin

seems like you're better educated than me on the subject though

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

SENSUAL DAD KISS posted:

does there have to be a genetic predisposition for something like this to happen?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

President Beep posted:

does there have to be a genetic predisposition for something like this to happen?

No. Recent studies strongly correlate benadryl use with development of dementia in old age. Get your rear end onto zyrtec, the generic otc version is 10bux for 360 pills at Costco.

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
go get allergy shots too

yeah its a pain in the rear end to get jabbed in the arm once a week for like forever but having (almost) no allergies owns bones

edit: allergy symptoms. you're still allergic to poo poo dwi

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

jit bull transpile posted:

No. Recent studies strongly correlate benadryl use with development of dementia in old age. Get your rear end onto zyrtec, the generic otc version is 10bux for 360 pills at Costco.

i’m especially curious about the psoriasis thing. i was always told that’s genetic, but what dad kiss posted makes me wonder if it can be acquired too.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

go get allergy shots too

yeah its a pain in the rear end to get jabbed in the arm once a week for like forever but having (almost) no allergies owns bones

edit: allergy symptoms. you're still allergic to poo poo dwi

You only have to do immunotherapy for 5 years. I finished 2 years ago and it's nice being able to visit my in laws without dying of cat exposure.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Lol if your sad, weak, failing body gets allergies

Planet Earth has judged you and found you wanting

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

exposure works too, to some degree. I was in a dust allergy trial years ago whose premise was “taking dustmite allergen extract daily” to see if symptoms reduce (we were head to toe in scrubs in an airlocked room once a month, where they pumped in dust, and administered forms by people in hazmat looking getups). in my subjective experience I’m not much bothered by cats after living with one for many years, and that used to be one of my worst allergies. but I know these things may change over time on their own accord

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

allergies actually mean your immune system is super powerful, defending you from assumed dangers

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

jit bull transpile posted:

You only have to do immunotherapy for 5 years. I finished 2 years ago and it's nice being able to visit my in laws without dying of cat exposure.

ya i did five years as well, but once a week doc visits gets fuckin' old after a while. and my doc was just across the street from work

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Sagebrush posted:

I like to think of it as being better through science, like musks hair plugs and pec implants

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

OldAlias posted:

allergies actually mean your immune system is super powerful, defending you from assumed dangers

the heuristic norton of body health

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
my life-long mild cat allergy just disappeared after living with my housemate’s cats for three months. i had never lived with cats before this, so there’s probably some merit to exposure curing allergies

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

meatpotato posted:

my life-long mild cat allergy just disappeared after living with my housemate’s cats for three months. i had never lived with cats before this, so there’s probably some merit to exposure curing allergies

my allergic response to my own cats is very small, but strange cats still set it off full bore

it's not a universal acclimation

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

mars colonies may have to spend months, if not years between resupply. in the harsh and cramped quarters of a manned colony, small luxuries will be a vital tool for maintaining morale. what do you send astronauts to the red planet with? alcohol can lead to violent or erratic behavior, and by dulling the senses creates a recipe for catastrophic accidents. smoking or vaping are right out- you'll gently caress up your atmosphere and coat every surface in a thin film of grime. junk food is too bulky; you need something that makes people feel good which ideally never runs out or needs replacing

what i'm saying is ol' musky watched charlie and the chocolate factory and thinks he's going to invent everlasting gobstoppers

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
he's going to invent Can-D to help his martian peons escape into fantasy and forget about unionization

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Internet Janitor posted:

you need something that makes people feel good which ideally never runs out or needs replacing

(Star Trek boatswain's whistle) All crew report to the sexeteria

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

haveblue posted:

that happened for season 6 but yeah duchovny was the source of a lot of issues

i love that you can tell the exact point it happens because all the spooky stuff immediately stops happening in ~the forest~ and starts happening in ~the desert~

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

willy wonka for internet nerds seems like a good fit for his personality and aptitude for self-promotion. it might also make money if he keeps his candy ambitions modest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...89f0_story.html

hey remember that time our rocket blew up on the pad while we were fueling it? how about next time we put some people in there too to make it more fun

quote:

When Elon Musk and his team at SpaceX were looking to make their Falcon 9 rocket even more powerful, they came up with a creative idea — keep the propellant at super-cold temperatures to shrink its size, allowing them to pack more of it into the tanks.

But the approach comes with a major risk, according to some safety experts. At those extreme temperatures, the propellant would need to be loaded just before takeoff — while astronauts are aboard. An accident, or a spark, during this maneuver, known as “load-and-go,” could set off an explosion.

The proposal has raised alarms for members of Congress and NASA safety advisers as the agency and SpaceX prepare to launch humans into orbit as early as this year. One watchdog group labeled load-and-go a “potential safety risk.” A NASA advisory group warned in a letter that the method was “contrary to booster safety criteria that has been in place for over 50 years.”

by "they came up with a creative idea" they mean "nasa came up with this idea decades ago and rejected it as stupid," of course

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 05:08 on May 6, 2018