Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Spoeank posted:

lmao y'all lost like 75% of your starters and drafted an rb who cant pass block to save wilsons life in the first round how did you not get worse

The secondary in 2018 will be better than the injured 2017 secondary. (Young DBs have more experience, Kam coming back, better FA depth)
The LBers in 2018 will be the same as the 2017 LBers.
The DL in 2018 will be equal to or better than the injured 2017 DL. (A bunch of young draft picks are developing nicely on the DL)

The run game in 2018 will be much better than the nonexistant 2017 run game. (Rashaad + literally any of our RBs who can stay healthy there was nobody last year)
The OL in 2018 will be much better than the 2017 OL. (Young players developing + Duane Brown + New Non-Cable Coach)
The WR's in 2018 will be slightly worse than the 2017 wr's.

The only spot where the Hawks are way worse off than last year is at TE.

Oh no how will they move forward without a TE in the year of our lord 2018.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

The 2017 49ers were 13 points away (including two fixed calls from the NFL to favor the Rams) from going 11-5 and have upgraded everywhere except RB and LB and are thus going to go 19-0 with a Super Bowl win this season.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Imagine having any kind of hope in 2018

And I'm not even talking about football necessarily but hell especially any kind of hope re: the Seahawks. If I wasn't flat broke I'd smash the under on every book in Vegas, that poo poo's easy money

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I knew poo poo had hit the fan when Mike Clay, noted sports autist, projected the Niners to beat the Seahawks in Santa Clara this season.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Definitely think this is Carroll's last or next-to-last year in Seattle

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

The secondary in 2018 will be better than the injured 2017 secondary. (Young DBs have more experience, Kam coming back, better FA depth)
The LBers in 2018 will be the same as the 2017 LBers.
The DL in 2018 will be equal to or better than the injured 2017 DL. (A bunch of young draft picks are developing nicely on the DL)

The run game in 2018 will be much better than the nonexistant 2017 run game. (Rashaad + literally any of our RBs who can stay healthy there was nobody last year)
The OL in 2018 will be much better than the 2017 OL. (Young players developing + Duane Brown + New Non-Cable Coach)
The WR's in 2018 will be slightly worse than the 2017 wr's.

The only spot where the Hawks are way worse off than last year is at TE.

Oh no how will they move forward without a TE in the year of our lord 2018.

They hired Brian Schottenheimer and Ken Norton Jr as their coordinators.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

"Ton of capital" ?

They spent a second on Sheldon and he's gone. That's it.

The mid round picks we traded got us a fantastic and current LT.

Well, right, they spent a ton on Richardson as a gap fill for McDowell, who they used their top pick on to shore up the D line--not a position of need with Bennett and Avril. Duane Brown was brought in to gap fill for Fant, who was supposed to start but tore his ACL. Those two alone along with losing McDowell set the team back. Last year was a win-now team, but the gamble they took on kicker didn't work and their run game and pass rush succumbed to injury hell.

It was a reasonable attempt, but it was a big push because they knew it was that core's last shot.

I really like what the team has done with this year's draft and FA period, but they just didn't have the picks to reload they way they needed to. This year will be about figuring out who will be useful next year.

Chris James 2 posted:

Definitely think this is Carroll's last or next-to-last year in Seattle

If so, then barring catastrophe the next coach will be someone connected to Carroll, and Schneider will stay on as GM. The team they're building is designed to compete in 2019 or 2020, each move they're making appears to be about the long term.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Spoeank posted:

lmao y'all lost like 75% of your starters and drafted an rb who cant pass block to save wilsons life in the first round how did you not get worse

Lol like we ever had pass blocking

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

lynch was pretty good, iirc

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

The Seahawks are cursed to never run it in again after SB49. All Seattle RB's will be bad or get injured. :(

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Maybe Marshawn took Beast Mode with him come to think of it I just thought of a name for all your rbs since he left..........

Least Mode!

Got'em

BITCHTITS
Oct 22, 2003

Perry'd

shirts and skins posted:

This year will be about figuring out who will be useful next year.

Agreed. I don't expect them to go over 10 wins tbh, but I also don't expect them to go over 7.

I personally like all the moves done this off season. I think they were a year too late, but Pete is a stubborn old man.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

shirts and skins posted:

Well, right, they spent a ton on Richardson as a gap fill for McDowell, who they used their top pick on to shore up the D line--not a position of need with Bennett and Avril. Duane Brown was brought in to gap fill for Fant, who was supposed to start but tore his ACL. Those two alone along with losing McDowell set the team back. Last year was a win-now team, but the gamble they took on kicker didn't work and their run game and pass rush succumbed to injury hell.

It was a reasonable attempt, but it was a big push because they knew it was that core's last shot.

It was not a big push. It was a single second round pick.You're acting like they mortgaged the entire future of the franchise.

The supremely injured 2017 team still went 9-7 and was close to 11-5. It's entirely reasonable to think this healthy 2018 roster is better than the injured 2017 roster. It's also reasonable to think this healthy 2018 roster is better than the 2018 Niners and Cardinals.

Are the hawks the supreme favorite to win the NFC? Of course not. But it's still a darn good team who can plausibly make the playoffs.

BITCHTITS posted:

Agreed. I don't expect them to go over 10 wins tbh, but I also don't expect them to go over 7.

I personally like all the moves done this off season. I think they were a year too late, but Pete is a stubborn old man.

You think this team is going to win 6 or less games? Are you assuming Wilson gets a season-ending injury in practice?

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

You think this team is going to win 6 or less games? Are you assuming Wilson gets a season-ending injury in practice?

You do realize that teams with good QBs sometimes lose a lot of games, yes? Look at the Chargers '15/'16 seasons.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

If you're gonna say a 9-7 team was "close to 11-5" then you also have to look at it the other way. How many wins were just barely wins?

They beat the niners 12-9 week 2, and the Texans 41-38 week 8. So you could say by the same logic that they were "close to 7-9."

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Leperflesh posted:

If you're gonna say a 9-7 team was "close to 11-5" then you also have to look at it the other way. How many wins were just barely wins?

They beat the niners 12-9 week 2, and the Texans 41-38 week 8. So you could say by the same logic that they were "close to 7-9."

Okay so let's say they were almost 7-9. That's still more than 6 wins and the 2018 roster is better than the 2017 injured team.

Coldforge posted:

You do realize that teams with good QBs sometimes lose a lot of games, yes? Look at the Chargers '15/'16 seasons.

Yeah so? Teams with good qbs can lose a lot of games. Those teams generally suck outside of the qb position. This is not the case with Seattle, which has a lot of surrounding talent. E.g., with almost half the starters injured, the defense was still 11th best. Which is even crazier considering the offense had no loving running backs.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I understand that you yellow-bellied 49er fans are hungry for the mighty Seahawks to fall from grace, but 2018 is not that year.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Which were the Seahawks injuries that decimated the team last year?

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Which were the Seahawks injuries that decimated the team last year?

Earl Thomas, Kam Chancellor and Cliff Avril on the d side off the top of my head

Edit: DeShawn Shead maybe

Cat Hassler fucked around with this message at 03:11 on May 6, 2018

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Kam
Sherm
Shead
Avril
McDowell*

5/11 Defensive Starters

Then the defensive depth chart also had injuries (at least 7 games missed):

Dion Jordan
Cromartie
Elliot
Jones*
Powell
McDonald

And that's not counting people like Earl Thomas who missed a couple games.

*these are both DTs, and one of them was going to be the starter and the other was going to be depth

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Again, I'm not saying Seattle is a lock for winning the superbowl or anything ridiculous,. But a healthy 2018 roster is very likely to be better than the injured 2017 team. And the injured 2017 team was still above .500.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Kam
Sherm
Shead
Avril
McDowell*

5/11 Defensive Starters

All of those dudes except maybe Kam are gone though. It seems like you’re both saying that the team will be better with them gone this year but also that they were important enough that their injuries last year really hurt the team.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

All of those dudes except maybe Kam are gone though. It seems like you’re both saying that the team will be better with them gone this year but also that they were important enough that their injuries last year really hurt the team.

That's exactly what he's been saying and I can't stop laughing.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I'm saying it is reasonable to expect the healthy 2018 Seahawks to have an equal or better record than the actual record of the injured 2017 Seahawks.

Coldforge posted:

That's exactly what he's been saying and I can't stop laughing.

I am going to try and explain this as simply as I can because Coldforge has smooth brains.

The 2017 team had injuries to many defensive players. Effectively, that meant the 2017 team did not have those players. Ex/ Elliot was a Seahawk in 2017, but because of injuries he didn't play a single regular season game. So effectively, the 2017 team did not have Elliot.

Despite the many injuries, the 2017 team still went 9-7. This means that the 2017 team, which effectively did not have Avril or Shead or Sherman, was still talented enough to go 9-7. This means the team is productive enough to go 9-7 without those players. It's measurably true, because that's what actually happened.

So when estimating how the good the 2018 Seahawks (without the players who left in FA) will be, we can look at the 2017 team as a baseline for the production level of the team. Because the 2017 team effectively didn't have those players either.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:
Dunno why this point is hard to grasp without it being spelled out but here you are.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Team X puts their LT on IR before the regular season, and ends with an 8-8 record.

The following offseason the LT leaves in FA. Holding all other variables constant, would you expect their upcoming record to change from 8-8? No.

warcrimes posted:

Dunno why this point is hard to grasp without it being spelled out but here you are.

I appreciate you getting it :)

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Coldfudge i hate you and your football team but i respect the work you put in making everyone mad all the time.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Papercut posted:

They hired Brian Schottenheimer and Ken Norton Jr as their coordinators.

Yep, a gosh darned nightmare!

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Team X puts their LT on IR before the regular season, and ends with an 8-8 record.

The following offseason the LT leaves in FA. Holding all other variables constant, would you expect their upcoming record to change from 8-8? No.

I’m glad you’ve moved on from “Russ will save us,” to “the math says everything’s okay!”

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Coldforge posted:

I’m glad you’ve moved on from “Russ will save us,” to “the math says everything’s okay!”

And when it fails, he's already made his leverage for "it's a fluke, 2019 will be when everything goes back to normal okay"

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
It's amazing how the transfer of Dick Sherm has changed the personalities of these two fandoms.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Coldforge posted:

I’m glad you are an idiot who can’t comprehend simple logic.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i have nfc west brain

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

By the time Sherman went out the Hawks had picked up more than half their wins and were on their way to another. Likewise for Chancellor, who isn’t guaranteed to return and can’t seem to last a season anymore anyway.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Chichevache posted:

It's amazing how the transfer of Dick Sherm has changed the personalities of these two fandoms.

:hawksin:

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Gonna need a silhouette of a kneeling Kaepernick on a green, blue and silver shirt now.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

By the time Sherman went out the Hawks had picked up more than half their wins and were on their way to another. Likewise for Chancellor, who isn’t guaranteed to return and can’t seem to last a season anymore anyway.

Or “with Sherman out, Kam out, and a bunch of other defensive players out, the Seahawks had almost the same number of wins when Sherman was healthy”

E: let’s cut the foreplay YOLO. Toxx bet $20 to the winner’s charity of choice. I wager that the 2018 Seahawks will have more than the claimed 6 wins if Wilson is healthy all year.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

if Wilson is healthy all year.

That is a hell of qualifier

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
My god, this is the best off season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Coldforge posted:

My god, this is the best off season.

Nut up punk. Take the toxx or shut your villainous mouth.

• Locked thread