Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinball Jizzard
Jun 23, 2010

itskage posted:

If you want to do it completely solo maybe. But you've got roulettes, Dungeons, Palace of the Dead, and even PVP as options.

The problem here is time. If I level something else doing that, I’m not progressing to the HW content. If I wasn’t playing for the story then it’s a great option, but I want to keep progressing as I play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Pinball Jizzard posted:

The problem here is time. If I level something else doing that, I’m not progressing to the HW content. If I wasn’t playing for the story then it’s a great option, but I want to keep progressing as I play.

Nessus posted:

Also RDM.

But yeah despite of how many people claim it's fine and it will be faster/better once you're halfway through, the 2.x stretch is just pure trash and their current "uh, we'll let you... buy a skip option :v:" solution is insulting.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

orcane posted:

But yeah despite of how many people claim it's fine and it will be faster/better once you're halfway through, the 2.x stretch is just pure trash and their current "uh, we'll let you... buy a skip option :v:" solution is insulting.
I personally didn't find it that bad since most of the quests amounts to "go here, talk to a guy, eventually there is a trial or something." I enjoyed the story, which is obviously subjective.

Pinball Jizzard
Jun 23, 2010

Nessus posted:

I personally didn't find it that bad since most of the quests amounts to "go here, talk to a guy, eventually there is a trial or something." I enjoyed the story, which is obviously subjective.

Some of the story and characterisation is good. Some of the chain being, go to this cave, now travel half the zone to another cave kill 5 mobs, return to first cave. Not particularly satisfying.

*edit* RDM unlocked, I’ll level a WHM and roulette that to 50 I guess. Which should happen before I hit HW content.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Raid update: The clown is a dick.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Doing Titan's trial as a dragoon is funny because I have to jump

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

jump to my death apparently, I actually killed myself on accident

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

OgretailFood posted:

This has been the correct way to dragoon since 2.0.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

watching red mages leap to their death during titan will never not be funny

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Murder-suicide on Titan is the best.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

OgretailFood posted:

Reminds me of back when Titan Extreme was current and a friend of mine, dragoon at the time, was running it with me.

At several points, of course, there was Weight of the Land to dodge. At one of those times he found himself in the middle of a very big mess of those, so he Elusive Jumped out of them. And to his credit, he did not get hit with Weight of the Land.

However, he also did not get hit with the platform when landing, either, as he gracefully sailed over the heads of all the tanks and melees and went right over the edge in front of Titan.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I cleared O3S. :dance:

Now all I need to do are O7S and O8S.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Vil posted:

Reminds me of back when Titan Extreme was current and a friend of mine, dragoon at the time, was running it with me.

At several points, of course, there was Weight of the Land to dodge. At one of those times he found himself in the middle of a very big mess of those, so he Elusive Jumped out of them. And to his credit, he did not get hit with Weight of the Land.

However, he also did not get hit with the platform when landing, either, as he gracefully sailed over the heads of all the tanks and melees and went right over the edge in front of Titan.

I have a screenshot somewhere of my dumb rear end suspended in midair like david blaine because it turns out you can glitch poo poo if you start falling right when he's beaten

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

SonicRulez posted:

He sure is. It's fitting, of course.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I cleared O3S. :dance:

Now all I need to do are O7S and O8S.

Congratulations! O7S is easier than 3, I think you'll have a good time.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Black Mage really takes off when you get Fire and Blizzard 3, huh?

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

yeah, and then it really takes off when you get Fire IV and Blizz IV.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Cabbit posted:

Black Mage really takes off when you get Fire and Blizzard 3, huh?

Having both of them changes the class from "oh nice I have functionally infinite MP" to you cackling about unlimited power like you're the goddamn emperor.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Black Mage takes off when you get Flare.

From there the curve is "how many Flares can I reliably cast in a row?"

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

SonicRulez posted:

Started progging Kefaust tonight, can confirm.

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Congratulations! O7S is easier than 3, I think you'll have a good time.

Can also confirm this. O7S is a lot slower-paced than O3S, the add phases and healer checks are nowhere near as rough, and the mechanics are (mostly) pretty visually clear. The DPS check is probably a bit tighter, but it's still not super-tough especially since most people will have i355-370 gear in most of their slots by now.

Also, I hung up my Plague Doctor's Coat in favor of something a bit simpler, at least for a little while.

And, uh, got video game engaged. :3: If any Balgoons want an invitation, it's at 8:00 PM Central on the 13th!

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The hardest part of O7S is that your static Dragoon and Paladin will hit at least one missle per pull and it all comes down to when they do it and if they clip someone else with it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I tend to have a hard/tight time killing the Air Force if I don't burn my Riposte combo on it when it's up.

Gymp
Dec 9, 2003

I'm starting to get back in this again and was wondering whether Please Be Careful or Third Party Tools is more active? Or does it not really matter? I think I remember Third Party Tools used to be for alts?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I tend to have a hard/tight time killing the Air Force if I don't burn my Riposte combo on it when it's up.

It always looks like I might be able to get away without using any of my oGCDs, but one tick of the damage boosted auto is gonna kill me. So I inevitably end up hitting Jugulate or Bhavacakra on a stupid plane.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Gymp posted:

I'm starting to get back in this again and was wondering whether Please Be Careful or Third Party Tools is more active? Or does it not really matter? I think I remember Third Party Tools used to be for alts?

People are welcome to join any FC they like. None are really too active thanks to patch lull, but PBC usually has 20ish online.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I don't think I'm going to clear O7S before the new Raid tier is out. Pugging this seems impossible.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Gymp posted:

What's wrong with DGKK!?

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I don't think I'm going to clear O7S before the new Raid tier is out. Pugging this seems impossible.

You're an Aether goon, aren't you? My static has an open spot for a non-Summoner ranged DPS, and while the leader would probably like someone with a 7 clear, I could at least talk them into giving you a tryout (and probably a clear) on it.

Phone posted:

What's wrong with DGKK!?

DGKK is bad and dumb and full of shitposts, which makes it the perfect FC for me.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

My parses aren't the best since I usually forget to record my runs, so I don't know if your static would accept me.

https://www.fflogs.com/rankings/character/8481427/15/

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

My parses aren't the best since I usually forget to record my runs, so I don't know if your static would accept me.

I don't think a lot of statics give a poo poo about parses.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Those recent logs are quite fine, considering that I'm usually stuck somewhere between high green and low blue percentiles on SMN. The bigger issue is that I got mixed up and we need a melee and not a ranged, unless our BRD feels like switching to a different job or I can :gitgud: on NIN*. If you have any melee jobs at 70 and feel like you could raid on them, that'd be awesome. I don't think too much would be expected, since we're looking to be casual-but-competent; if you can hit green parses or even 20-25% that'd probably be fine, especially if you're gearing up. Otherwise I could definitely see if the person in charge wants to add you on as a sub or if they're crazy enough to go triple ranged.

*gitting gud on NIN is never going to happen

Solo Wing Pixy fucked around with this message at 21:05 on May 6, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The only Level 70s I have are casters until HoH comes out. :smith:

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

I just did floor 50 of Palace of the Dead, the end of which I suspect is my first real glimpse of what real bosses are like in this game, and man alive movement screws Black Mage up real bad.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Cabbit posted:

I just did floor 50 of Palace of the Dead, the end of which I suspect is my first real glimpse of what real bosses are like in this game, and man alive movement screws Black Mage up real bad.

My friend, Edda isn't even remotely close to a real boss. She does punish the entire party heavily if one person is unwilling or unable to move out of the AoEs though, which is unfun for black mages.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Cabbit posted:

The real secret of BLM is that you want to move as little as possible by using Aetherial Manipulation/Between the Lines as much as possible.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Cabbit posted:

Edda is probably the hardest boss of the first 100 PotD bosses, but she's still pretty easy.

Assuming your party knows to not look at gaze markers and can dodge AOE markers. Otherwise, she'll murder you violently.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Edda is probably the hardest boss of the first 100 PotD bosses, but she's still pretty easy.

Oh that's the other thing-- I wasn't expecting Edda to show up there, went and Googled it, and god drat that girl's life took a loving turn as soon as I stopped paying attention.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yeah, it's kind of jarring how she goes from "budding adventurer seeking fame and fortune" to "reanimated Necromancer that yearns to spill your blood for her undead master".

Oh well. At least she was thoughtful enough to invite you to her wedding! Oh, wait, no, you have to gate crash that.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Cabbit posted:

Oh that's the other thing-- I wasn't expecting Edda to show up there, went and Googled it, and god drat that girl's life took a loving turn as soon as I stopped paying attention.

I take it you haven’t done tam tara hard mode yet. Go do that and make sure to read all the notes along the way.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

I take it you haven’t done tam tara hard mode yet. Go do that and make sure to read all the notes along the way.

Its worth noting that Tam Tara HM happens before Palace of the Dead, but most newer players will run PotD to 50+ long before they do the old level 50 dungeons. So in that sense her showing up is kind of a weird swerve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.

Brainamp posted:

The real secret of BLM is that you want to move as little as possible by using Aetherial Manipulation/Between the Lines as much as possible.

The real secret of BLM is just eat the AoE with manaward, if you didn't die you didn't have to move. More fire 4.