Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Really Pants posted:

Chaos Theory is the best Splinter Cell.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Blacklist is the best Splinter Cell. You'll enjoy it.

Hah. I actually have Chaos Theory so I will go with that but I like Blacklist's military setting more.

thekeeshman posted:

The new Hitman game (which has been helpfully titled HITMAN) might appeal to you, though like Blood Money it's mostly disguise-based stealth. I would strongly recommend the Dishonored games if you don't mind some mild steampunk, and definitely play the first before the second.

Ya I heard great things of it from the Giantbomb guys. I been wanting to get it on sale for a while now. But I heard there are a bunch of targets that were timed events can you still do those?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Splinter Cell Conviction and Blacklist share some DNA with Wildlands, so probably worth taking a look at those.

Hitman's elusive targets went back into rotation, but they're on a more or less fixed schedule; I'm not even sure if they're technically still going or not but you've missed a bunch either way.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Ulio posted:

Hah. I actually have Chaos Theory so I will go with that but I like Blacklist's military setting more.

Why are you spelling rogue so wrong?

For content, is there a colony building/management similar to frost punk, but a little less ballbustingly strict? And hopefully in the $5 and under range?

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

numerrik posted:

For content, is there a colony building/management similar to frost punk, but a little less ballbustingly strict? And hopefully in the $5 and under range?

Maybe not what you're looking for, but Fallout Shelter was basically a spin on their previous game: This War is Mine. It's much more small scale than Frostpunk, but it might scratch your itch.

Bitter fly
Sep 25, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I'm looking for a game like Sid Meier's Pirates for PC or Uncharted Waters for the SNES.

Something where there's a world map and you can be a bandit/pirate

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Bitter fly posted:

I'm looking for a game like Sid Meier's Pirates for PC or Uncharted Waters for the SNES.

Check out the Sea Dogs series. The best title in it is Pirates of the Caribbean with the New Horizons mod.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Bitter fly posted:

Try Assassin's Creed: Black Flag. It's one of the best pirate games I've played, really.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Nalesh posted:

One of my favourite types of attacks in games are ones that chain react, like mass spreading dots(For example, Saryn in Warframe), huge bouncing attacks(For example the bounce bird build in borderlands 1), etc. What could scratch this itch of mine? Pretty much fine with any genre. I'd go back to PoE but I just don't have the time to grind poo poo in that game anymore.

There are a few Diablo 3 end-game sets work like this, no grinding required to get started with seasonal rewards. Mass spread witch doctor dots then explode them all, put exploding palm on everything and then detonate them in a chain reaction with monk, condemn crusader just runs around chain exploding monsters with no setup, they're all good fun. I suspect any wizard build with Etched Sigil might scratch the same itch (trigger a secondary attack every second you're channeling a primary attack).

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Bitter fly posted:

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Check out the Sea Dogs series. The best title in it is Pirates of the Caribbean with the New Horizons mod.

Sea Dogs series is the right answer, but the best in series is "City of Abandoned Ships", with Gentlemen of Fortune mod

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Pyromancer posted:

Sea Dogs series is the right answer, but the best in series is "City of Abandoned Ships", with Gentlemen of Fortune mod

I do not doubt the quality of Gentlemen of Fortune, but New Horizons does everything Gentlemen of Fortune does while also allowing for ultraspergs like me to turn off the world map, sail and navigate by hand and in real time.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

numerrik posted:

The Tropico series maybe?

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

numerrik posted:

Banished (but wait for a sale)

And if you're willing to dip into the early access cesspool, Rise to Ruins.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

numerrik posted:

There are lots of city builders from the late 90s / early 2000s, one of them would probably meet your criteria.

Someone already mentioned Tropico, I'll second it. Caesar or Pharoah have pretty forgiving campaigns where instead of desperately struggling to survive you just have to build an awesome city, sometimes within a time limit, but if even that's too much anxiety then they also have pretty solid sandbox modes. Or you might check out some of the older Anno games.

Caesar 3 is $6: https://www.gog.com/game/caesar_3
Pharoah + the Cleopatra expansion is $10: https://www.gog.com/game/pharaoh_cleopatra

Anno 1503 is also $6: https://www.gog.com/game/anno_1503_ad and the other Anno games should all be on GOG or Steam, so you can basically pick your poison in terms of price vs. modernity.

Comedy option: Dwarf Fortress is free :v:

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Bitter fly posted:

The recent release Sea of Thieves is fun if you don't go at it from a game and grind poo poo, the sailing is fun and probably the best sailing sim out there, the combat in insanely balanced pvp wise, it's really fun to play with people, but it has a rather major content problem which rears its head fast if you grind.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

So kind of a weird request but what are some “fun”(I use this term loosely/subjectively) games to bot in? In the vein of something like lineage 2 or diablo 2.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Thirding Tropico. As someone who isn't really deep into city building/management games. I found it pretty easy to understand and it still had depth if you want to get deep into. I haven't played any of the new ones but Tropico 3 was very good.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Anecdotally, I played Tropico 1 when it first came out, and when I played Tropico 4 I said "hey, this is almost exactly the same game", a ton of the mechanics/buildings/etc are just copied wholesale (while adding new stuff of course)

So I'd probably get the most recent Tropico you can find, or the cheapest. They're great.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

What's the best modern successor to the STALKER games?

Basically I'm looking for an open world FPS with decent-feeling shooting (so not Fallout), an atmospheric sense of horror or at least isolation, and incentives to go out exploring and just stumble across weird poo poo.

I don't really care about narrative, it could be with or without RPG mechanics although ideally there'd be some degree of inventory / resource management. Metro is too linear, and while there are tons of survival horror games on Steam most of them seem keen on making you really ineffective or clumsy in combat which is not at all what I'm after.

Mostly I'm looking for something that recreates that feeling of being some weirdo with a duct-taped together rifle on his back, looking for his next meal as much as a big payday and/or not getting eaten by critters.

e: I'd be open to something that isn't even an FPS as long as it has good action gameplay of some kind.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 22:13 on May 4, 2018

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Basically I'm looking for an open world FPS with decent-feeling shooting (so not Fallout), an atmospheric sense of horror or at least isolation, and incentives to go out exploring and just stumble across weird poo poo.

I don't really care about narrative, it could be with or without RPG mechanics although ideally there'd be some degree of inventory / resource management.

Mostly I'm looking for something that recreates that feeling of being some weirdo with a duct-taped together rifle on his back, looking for his next meal as much as a big payday and/or not getting eaten by critters.

e: I'd be open to something that isn't even an FPS as long as it has good action gameplay of some kind.

drat I want these in a game too I hope there is something I haven't played that someone mentions

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
You might look into Prey. It basically slightly misses every single one of your criteria. :v:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'd mention ghost recon woodlands for the same reason. I love finding new triggers that I can screw into my ar to shoot people better.

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 23:10 on May 4, 2018

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Thanks guys, I half expected the answer would be "there isn't one," so even if those aren't exact matches I still appreciate the input.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I'm not sure how much it fulfills your criteria, but if you're keen on the more AI/faction-oriented side of Stalker, The Signal from Tolva is explicitly meant to evoke that stuff.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I really wish I could find a good 3rd person fantasy RPG with a lot of character customization abilities. Like, I want a 3rd person Skyrim with combat that doesn't completely suck. Like, something in the vein of Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

I want to be able to choose from a variety of weapon or magic to kill enemies in an RPG world.

gently caress man, I want like a Divinity: Original Sin with 3rd person action combat.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I played by some self-imposed rules and with cheats on and zombies mostly off in 7 Days to Die and got a little sliver of this. Unfortunately, there's nothing real 'weird' about the game, unless you mean "ugly as gently caress."

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bitter fly posted:

Try StarSector which scratched the same itch as me.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I don't really care about narrative, it could be with or without RPG mechanics although ideally there'd be some degree of inventory / resource management. Metro is too linear, and while there are tons of survival horror games on Steam most of them seem keen on making you really ineffective or clumsy in combat which is not at all what I'm after.

Ok, weird answer, the first entry to the Xenus series, Boiling Point.

Non action option but 100% the best Stalker game, Neo Scavenger.

Really though, just use Call of Chernobyl, a mega-mod that features all regions in STALKER and a faction questline mod. It's the best Stalker experience.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

so what's the recent best pretty princess dressup simulator that's actually a fun game to play also? final fantasy xiv has long been my go-to for that but i've sort of explored all the glamour options at this point. genre doesn't matter!

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
The endgame of Warframe is referred to as Fashionframe by a lot of people because playing ninja exoskeleton dressups is a big pastime. Decent fun to play and free to try as well.

Memento fucked around with this message at 02:53 on May 5, 2018

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mordiceius posted:

I really wish I could find a good 3rd person fantasy RPG with a lot of character customization abilities. Like, I want a 3rd person Skyrim with combat that doesn't completely suck. Like, something in the vein of Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

I want to be able to choose from a variety of weapon or magic to kill enemies in an RPG world.

gently caress man, I want like a Divinity: Original Sin with 3rd person action combat.

Have you played Dragon's Dogma? It's not quite as broad as something like Skyrim in terms of weapon variety (each class only has 1-2 weapon types it uses, although there's 9 classes and you can switch between them more or less freely) but the combat is really great - basically a weird blend of Devil May Cry, Dark Souls, and Shadow of the Colossus.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Have you played Dragon's Dogma? It's not quite as broad as something like Skyrim in terms of weapon variety (each class only has 1-2 weapon types it uses, although there's 9 classes and you can switch between them more or less freely) but the combat is really great - basically a weird blend of Devil May Cry, Dark Souls, and Shadow of the Colossus.

Yeah. Love Dragon's Dogma.

There just aren't enough games in this vein out.

We can get a bunch of bland open world FPS games every year, but I just want my fantasy action RPGs. :(

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Any decent couch multiplayer games that aren't on this list? https://www.slant.co/topics/2388/~couch-multiplayer-pc-games
Preferably 3 or more players, but we've played some fighting games like Tekken and DBFZ so not an absolute.

That's just PC though, and our platforms are two fairly old laptops (Run most indies well enough but skirting on rocket league for 60 fps experience to be honest) 2x Nintendo Switch and a PS4.

I'm personally biased to Rocket League and Speedrunners personally but not all of us like them. I honestly think FORCED is a pretty good experience too. I personally wish Smash was on Switch already. We're probably going to give Brawlhalla a shot but both it and Rivals of Aether look really uninspiring. Icons Combat Arena actually looks really promising in terms of visual aesthetics and I can't wait till' it comes out (a melee "clone"). Wonder if it would be worth emulating Melee? We did like Smash on Wii U, and I know Melee is a bit of a different beast at least on a competitive level but that probably doesn't matter for our casual play. I personally dislike Mario Kart because it lacks a lot of "immediate" interactions in the game, but that's probably mostly because I'm a terrible scrub. We've played a quite bit of Duck Game and Lethal League as well.

I guess I'm saying that even though it feels like it's the golden age of indie couch multiplayer games there are only so many games that are really enticing - Although that's probably because we're so picky when it comes to all of us.

edit: I actually own a decent enough desktop as well but we're mostly playing at another location due to space and dude having a personal sauna (We live in Finland, so fairly common).

edit 2:

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

so what's the recent best pretty princess dressup simulator that's actually a fun game to play also? final fantasy xiv has long been my go-to for that but i've sort of explored all the glamour options at this point. genre doesn't matter!

I'm actually in a similar situation and asked for recommendations earlier but nothing really sticked. Personally waiting for Monster Hunter World for PC but it doesn't have glamour system. Someone familiar with the game could give an answer whether it's a good fit (I understand armour stats/importance is a little different from that of MMOs for example). Maybe this video gives you an idea about how the gear looks at least. I've been playing some God Eater though, but again, rather limited selection of outfits as far as I know.

Dessel fucked around with this message at 21:33 on May 5, 2018

MrXmas
Apr 10, 2006

Let's Get Sweaty

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

Yakuza 0? The dress up simulator is only one aspect of it but the rest of the game kicks rear end so

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

MrXmas posted:

Yakuza 0? The dress up simulator is only one aspect of it but the rest of the game kicks rear end so

already played. :( the hostess club minigames in yakuza 0 were perfect for dressup and i wish 6 had it also.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I want more games like Persona and Yakuza with the specific angle being games that have tons and tons of characterization with at least somewhat intricate narratives such that it is gripping. I want the story to take the spotlight, not the gameplay necessarily, but I want the gameplay to still be good. I also would like, if at all possible, for these games to not be menu-driven, and for the protagonist(s) to have a very strong will to overcome whatever is in their way as their dominant character trait. I want a carefully crafted story, so branching plot is not at all something I care about.

What are the gems I'm missing here

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

signalnoise posted:

I want more games like Persona and Yakuza with the specific angle being games that have tons and tons of characterization with at least somewhat intricate narratives such that it is gripping. I want the story to take the spotlight, not the gameplay necessarily, but I want the gameplay to still be good. I also would like, if at all possible, for these games to not be menu-driven, and for the protagonist(s) to have a very strong will to overcome whatever is in their way as their dominant character trait. I want a carefully crafted story, so branching plot is not at all something I care about.

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
anything from Supergiant Games--Bastion, Transistor, Pyre
Hollow Knight, maybe?

Trails in the Sky and Trails of Cold Steel are DETERMINATION as gently caress--Cold Steel is just about a Persona 3/4 clone--but the combat uses menus

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 04:37 on May 6, 2018

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
The Witness was pretty good, despite only being a little bit less pretentious than I expected. I didn't wind up taking many real notes, mostly just worked out puzzles on paper for the most part. That was satisfying too though.

Anyone got a recommendation for a game where I need to take notes or otherwise use a notepad? I wouldn't mind playing an old game for this, even.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

McFrugal posted:

The Witness was pretty good, despite only being a little bit less pretentious than I expected. I didn't wind up taking many real notes, mostly just worked out puzzles on paper for the most part. That was satisfying too though.

Anyone got a recommendation for a game where I need to take notes or otherwise use a notepad? I wouldn't mind playing an old game for this, even.

La-Mulana

vvvv actually get The Ur-Quan Masters first, that's a better suggestion

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 04:54 on May 6, 2018

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

McFrugal posted:

Star Control 2 / The Ur-Quan Masters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

signalnoise posted:

A lot of the big PS4 games seem to fall in this category like nier automata, god of war, uncharted, etc

Outside of that there’s night in the woods maybe? Sleeping dogs and the new Wolfenstein games come to mind as well. The new colossus has a great plot and characters but the gameplay is significantly worse than the first game.