Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice

hopterque posted:

i mean i think they're getting more into it, its hard to jump into the deep end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSCcRhHyvjo

That track is an absolute beast, i've always adored the long drumming section when it kicks off https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTr7bqKHvgE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

il_cornuto posted:

I liked their reaction to Ne Obliviscaris, and also that they correctly identified Anthrax as terrible. Thanks for linking it MrBling, I had them on while doing other things yesterday and it was good stuff.

Poor Anthrax gets so much disrespect for being out of place in the Big 4 but Among the Living and Spreading the Disease are fantastic albums that I will defend to the death.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

Poor Anthrax gets so much disrespect for being out of place in the Big 4 but Among the Living and Spreading the Disease are fantastic albums that I will defend to the death.

they should have done a crossover with sesame street instead of public enemy

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Vargatron posted:

PSA: The new Ihsahn is out today. Just starting to listen to it so I can't offer any thoughts, but will give a trip report.

It's good. Not as accessible as Arktis (which was fuckin great) but still a solid album

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Fistful of Metal is a loving great album, that never gets mentioned except by me. Easily the best Anthrax album.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
plus the cover owns

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Vargatron posted:

PSA: The new Ihsahn is out today. Just starting to listen to it so I can't offer any thoughts, but will give a trip report.

Also today in releases on my radar, a new AIC single, hardcore punk outfit D.O.A. have a new release, and we can all laugh at the new Dimmu Borgir album.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I listened to the new DB album and all the songs are the same choir, keyboard beeps and boops, and unremarkable riffs

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

MrBling posted:

Fistful of Metal is a loving great album, that never gets mentioned except by me. Easily the best Anthrax album.
This guy knows what he's talking about.

Vargatron posted:

Oh awesome, I had no idea this was coming out. Arktis got a huge amount of play in my rotation.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Stay Safe posted:

I listened to the new DB album and all the songs are the same choir, keyboard beeps and boops, and unremarkable riffs

How could you tell it was the new one?

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Ihsahn loving rules. Dude has some good cleans that he only rarely got to flex with Emperor, like the ending chant to Inno A Satana, and you really get a sense of the incredible depth of his musical knowledge from listening to his solo stuff.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

A grip of Judas Iscariot albums are getting a reissue, preordered a couple including the box set of his last album. Going to re-jam all of his discog, I've always considered the project great but never as great as everyone else seemed to.

Edit: Link if anyone was interested https://judasiscariotusbm.bandcamp.com/merch

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Trip report from day 1 of desertfest berlin: Church of Misery are adequate these days, I guess. Nebula were indeed great. Weedeater loving owned, and if they replaced their kickass drummer who does stick tricks, they certainly picked a perfect replacement. I'm thinking it's still the same guy you guys were talking about. Monster Magnet were worse than I could have imagined. I kept thinking like "the Van Halen of stoner rock" but tbf Van Halen had their moments. "Bon Jovi of stoner rock"? I guess, but to my knowledge Bon Jovi don't play rambling 15 minute psychedelic talking blues encores. Who the gently caress listens to Monster Magnet. Show yourselves cowards

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Monster Magnet are very popular but I never got the hype

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Speaking of replacements, I think Brian Kingsland might actually be better than Dallas.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

poo poo this Ihsahn is really hitting me the first time though. I think I’m going to like this one a lot.

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

You only lose what you cling to, bitch.
Fun Shoe
How long until this thread rushes the lost in vegas guys with BOLT THROWER

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Monster Magnet are very popular but I never got the hype

Idk I saw them at metal and beer fest not long ago and they were fun to mosh to but I was very drunk so ymmv

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Smirr posted:

Who the gently caress listens to Monster Magnet. Show yourselves cowards
I... I like a bunch of their stuff? Not the recent crappy "remix" albums, those are pretty lame, but I'm pretty big on the new one that came out like a month ago.

I've never seen them live, though, so maybe they just disappear up their own asses on stage? I can see that happening. :shrug:

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

The Kins posted:

I... I like a bunch of their stuff? Not the recent crappy "remix" albums, those are pretty lame, but I'm pretty big on the new one that came out like a month ago.

I've never seen them live, though, so maybe they just disappear up their own asses on stage? I can see that happening. :shrug:

Yeah, sorry for the belligerent tone. It was mostly that encore that completely baffled me (can't figure out what the song is called). Though at least it provided a good spot for a piss break. Oh wait, I found it: it was Spine of God, but there's no way in hell the version they played was only 8 minutes long.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

did the bass player for Church of Misery play his bass on the ground? They make some great music but whenever i see youtube videos of them the bassist has his strap so low the instrument is like below his knees lol. it always looks so goofy, but hey if the musics good the man can play his bass however he drat well pleases

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Kvlt! posted:

did the bass player for Church of Misery play his bass on the ground? They make some great music but whenever i see youtube videos of them the bassist has his strap so low the instrument is like below his knees lol. it always looks so goofy, but hey if the musics good the man can play his bass however he drat well pleases

Yeah, he mostly picked on the neck, too. It looked a bit silly (similar to Korn)

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Al Cisneros from Sleep does the same thing, not the low-hanging bass part but he plucks the strings way up on the neck (tho he uses fingerstyle).

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Smirr posted:

Yeah, sorry for the belligerent tone. It was mostly that encore that completely baffled me (can't figure out what the song is called). Though at least it provided a good spot for a piss break. Oh wait, I found it: it was Spine of God, but there's no way in hell the version they played was only 8 minutes long.

This makes sense. I've never seen them but I remember hearing that they used to get reeaaal weird with their encores. Like they'd play the more mainstream stuff first for the people who like that, and then play the spacey-er stuff for that subset of fans and themselves.

In my head it goes down kinda like Hank III shows, where he shifts from country > rockabilly > metal.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Kvlt! posted:

Al Cisneros from Sleep does the same thing, not the low-hanging bass part but he plucks the strings way up on the neck (tho he uses fingerstyle).

Al probably does that because Geezer Butler does it.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

This new Unreqvited album is heavy in the weirdest way. It’s very much a dreamy atmospheric black metal album but the riffs + production give me a doom/death vibe. It’s hard to explain.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LLmh_HCEido

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Monster Magnet is on and off for me. They can deliver some excellent songs, but sometimes they are just to slow.
Last album I listened to was Last Patrol, which had some excellent songs, particularly End of Time. If you can write an 8 minute song without dead parts, you are ok in my book.

Also, if you don’t like the Powertrip record I don’t know what to say.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Dopes to infinity is an excellent albums you assholes

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Can't believe I'm seeing Demilich tonight

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Can't believe I'm seeing Demilich tonight

gently caress yeah!

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I wanted to try to see Demilich’s early show then race over to see Electric Wizard Friday night but my friend with the Demilich tickets didn’t want to risk it so he sold them. :argh:

Other friend got tickets to both early and late shows, he’s a smart man.

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

I saw demilich at what was supposed to be their final gig, kinda mad they kept on touring, all that scene cred down the drain

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Demilich were great on Friday night, as were Blood Incantation.

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

Two teenagers in Colorado on a college tour got the cops called on them and kicked off the tour because they were wearing Cattle Decapitation and Archspire T-shirts.

Also maybe because they were native american but knowing skittish white moms it was probably the metal shirts.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

friendly 2 da void posted:

Two teenagers in Colorado on a college tour got the cops called on them and kicked off the tour because they were wearing Cattle Decapitation and Archspire T-shirts.

Also maybe because they were native american but knowing skittish white moms it was probably the metal shirts.

https://twitter.com/metaltxt/status/992822192239919104

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Kilometers Davis posted:

poo poo this Ihsahn is really hitting me the first time though. I think I’m going to like this one a lot.

Yeah that's how I felt listening to it on Friday. I skipped his last couple I think but this latest one is really good.

I'm barely through the first track on the new Dimmu and.....ummm.....what the gently caress am I listening to? Like this is really poo poo, even by modern Dimmu standards.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Knowing skittish white moms it was probably both, but more the native thing. White people are definitely more afraid of brown people than metal.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
There is/was a native thrash band from the Southwest. I think they are Navajo dudes. There name was a word in their language I think, but I don't remember what it is/what it translated to. Anyone recall them?

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Knowing skittish white moms it was probably both, but more the native thing. White people are definitely more afraid of brown people than metal.

I feel you. I bet a lot of white ppl in this thread have experience sketching out people because they're wearing metal shirts though, I sure have. Got the cops called on me half a dozen times for the crime of "wearing metal shirts in a public park at 7pm".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I feel you. I bet a lot of white ppl in this thread have experience sketching out people because they're wearing metal shirts though, I sure have. Got the cops called on me half a dozen times for the crime of "wearing metal shirts in a public park at 7pm".

My last and strangest metal shirt moment was getting turned away at the door for a party I was invited to because I was wearing a 1349 tank and apparently it made it seem like I was up to no good.