Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.

beefnoodle posted:

Now I wanna see RuPaul host a fishing show.

They can call it "The Lady of the Lake" and run with a whole medieval theme!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!
Reel Drag Queens.

Actually that's a better name for a boat.

CHUCK WAS TAKEN
Aug 1, 2004
this kid has heart

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

Finally got into some trout this past weekend. I was playing around with some peacock neck feathers while tying flies, and made a killer nymph pattern. I caught over 60 fish in 3 sessions over the weekend on them. Saturday evening, I got 28 trout to hand out of one hole in about 45 minutes at the local spillway. :haw:

Sick!

The amateur entomologist in me wants to believe that you found a population of trout that were keyed in on Baetis nymphs in a particular size which your pattern was doing a really great job at imitating, but the experienced fly fisherman in me feels like you prolly found a bunch of stupid rear end fish that liked the red thread and brass bead you were shoving in their faces.

CHUCK WAS TAKEN fucked around with this message at 11:05 on May 6, 2018

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

CHUCK WAS TAKEN posted:

Sick!

The amateur entomologist in me wants to believe that you found a population of trout that were keyed in on Baetis nymphs in a particular size which your pattern was doing a really great job at imitating, but the experienced fly fisherman in me feels like you prolly found a bunch of stupid rear end fish that liked the red thread and brass bead you were shoving in their faces.

Yeah, they were tailwater stockers, so I’m betting stupid fish. I actually have a 0.4g micro spoon in “pellet brown” that works good out there, too

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Post a Fish(ing knife)

Here are my two trusty knives. The fixed blade is what I usually carry, I love it. My wife bought it for me for Christmas. The second was a gift from my best friend, a leftover from his days in the Marines. I'm a sucker for automatic knives. Both are 4 inch blades.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Was reading the fish reports on the SDfish forums and this caught my eye, thought I'd share. Guy was trolling for crappie and caught this albino blue catfish on 4lb test.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Wow, I have always wondered, "what is nastier looking then a big catfish?" and now I know the answer is "a big albino catfish".

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

joem83 posted:

Post a Fish(ing knife)

Here are my two trusty knives. The fixed blade is what I usually carry, I love it. My wife bought it for me for Christmas. The second was a gift from my best friend, a leftover from his days in the Marines. I'm a sucker for automatic knives. Both are 4 inch blades.

Makes a man want to get married. Is that curly birch on the Helle knife? And sorry we don't have a tree thread here or I'd ask elsewhere, does anyone know if curly birch is actually a silver birch subspecies or is it just a word used to describe silver birch that have irregular grain that resembles a mild burl swirl? Beautiful knife.

bongwizzard posted:

Wow, I have always wondered, "what is nastier looking then a big catfish?" and now I know the answer is "a big albino catfish".

I want to agree but I would replace nastier with tastier

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

I know it's birch but not sure on the specific type. I love the cool story behind those knives too. Handmade and designed to withstand actual hard use.

The year before that for Christmas she got me a heavy wool cloak with some fox fur on it. She even got me a handmade cloak clasp from Sven's Viking Forge I think it was called. I love her dearly <3

joem83 fucked around with this message at 06:36 on May 8, 2018

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

joem83 posted:

I know it's birch but not sure on the specific type. I love the cool story behind those knives too. Handmade and designed to withstand actual hard use.

The year before that for Christmas she got me a heavy wool cloak with some fox fur on it. She even got me a handmade cloak clasp from Sven's Viking Forge I think it was called. I love her dearly <3

That cloak sounds great for those chilly San Diego beach days! :v:

If anybody else needs a fishing knife, look at this:

... or you could go to Goodwill and get your own secondhand steak knife for fifty cents. But don't do that, get a good knife.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Order the Klenk DA71000 Dual Edge duct knife :getin:

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
I just use crappy Chinese made ‘filleting’ knives. You wouldn’t want to use them to actually fillet something but for hacking bait into chunks or gutting and bleeding fish they work fine. They were a couple of dollars at the old job and I just treat them as disposable because nice things get all rusty and hosed up from salt water on the kayak, and they have a hollow handle which means they float (or sometimes just sink slower depending on how much the Chinese factory worker was paying attention) which is great because I have a habit of losing things over the side of the the yak. There’s been multiple occasions where I’ve been “where the gently caress are my braid snips/pliers/knife??” then look at the sounder and see the distinctive diagonal line of a small object sinking to a watery grave.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I went so loving overboard with zingers, rod leashes, and similar gear tethers for exactly this reason.

My fishing buddy sent me this of yesterday's haul from the lake near his new place. I guess that answers my question about whether or not the yellow perch are biting yet, god drat.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Yeah my cloak doesn't get much use here in San Diego, lol. She just knows I'm a nerd and love that kinda crap; hence the belt knife. I've worn it a couple times on cold nights for novelty value and once right after she gave it to me while I was in Merced and it was like 24 degrees out.

I actually like that Klenk knife, it looks cool. lol.

I use my knife mostly for trimming the tag end of my line, works well for that. It's also great for slicing through tule wrapped props on your rental boat :D

I found a pic of me in the cloak, don't judge my selfie pose it was 2015.

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

I launched my kayak at Fort Desoto's north beach this morning and then drifted the flats behind Shell Key, and I finally caught a fish with my dick!

Caught this little pinfish on the first cast of the day. I didn't bring anything to keep live bait in so I let it go. Also caught a few small (~12-inch)speckled trout with a clear/silver/chartreuse mirrolure on a 1/8 oz jig head, and hooked up on a huge one, but I lost it when it jumped out of the water. It was a fun fight but all too brief.

Nice day, except for the guys who parked their boat right in the path of my drift. At least they didn't catch anything that I could tell, though they saw a lot of trout & snook I guess since one of them would shout out every time he saw a fish. I also saw what I think was a big-rear end (like, 4 feet easily) tarpon leap clean out of the air. It was about 100 yards away, but it was silver and had a forked tail. Catching one of those would be a hell of a lot of fun I imagine. I'll have to do some research once I've got disposable income.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Was that the first dick-fish caught so far in the thread?

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

joem83 posted:

Was that the first dick-fish caught so far in the thread?

Yes! :neckbeard: Hopefully more to follow.

I'm going to start making sinkers and jigs, I think. Fun times with molten metal, what could go wrong? :v:

Are there any unusual jig styles that I should pay attention to? Midwest Finesse mold is already on the list. I was thinking about a bat jig mold for crappies, but I'm not sure if I should get one of those before I get a tube skirt jig mold.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I’m getting a dick fish next Tuesday god damnit

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
There were about a half dozen or so guys down at my local spot, which was a bit of a surprise. They were all sitting on top of their empty buckets when I showed up.

I brought this walleye in about 15min after showing up. It probably burned all those guy's asses watching me show up and catch. Tossed for another 10minutes with no bites before packing it in.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Sockington posted:

There were about a half dozen or so guys down at my local spot, which was a bit of a surprise. They were all sitting on top of their empty buckets when I showed up.

I brought this walleye in about 15min after showing up. It probably burned all those guy's asses watching me show up and catch. Tossed for another 10minutes with no bites before packing it in.

:hellyeah: That is 25 minutes well spent. Your posts are 100% the reason why I'm planning a walleye weekend camping trip east of the Cascades this summer.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Sockington posted:

Where do you fish? I'm in SE Michigan, and I'd love to get some walleye.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

a foolish pianist posted:

Where do you fish? I'm in SE Michigan, and I'd love to get some walleye.

Detroit river is super hot right now. St. Clair river up by Port Huron is my stomping ground.

Went back for three hours of casting tonight and got nothing.:confused:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Took it for an uneventful quick rip.

I learned I need a shorter rod for my next go, so went and grabbed a short ugly stick to use my SilverMax reel.

Might have a go at drifting in the main river soon. :dance:

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

What came first, the SA username or the personalized license plate?

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Sockington posted:

Might have a go at drifting in the main river soon. :dance:

Weekend's just starting. :getin:

I've fallen pretty hard down the tacklecraft rabbit hole, but I'm tearing myself away from those projects to try to catch some dang fish this weekend. I'm going for yellow perch and crappie in Lake Washington and sea perch off the pier in the Sound. Here's hoping that I have a lot of fish to clean as something to complain about soon.

Also, I'll need some guinea pigs to test out my various jigs soon (roundhead, tube & tail, and Midwest finesse so far). I'm very curious what y'all's favorite jig styles, weights, and colors for whatever you fish for are, too.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

joem83 posted:

What came first, the SA username or the personalized license plate?

SA Username, but I had used it during the time I was expelled in high school earlier in life :sweatdrop:

I battled some rain and went out in the kayak on the big river. There were so many minnows in the flow that there was no point hanging a worm. Nothing bit during the hour and half float around.

It was kind of cool to float right next to some 24"+ long-nose Gar Pike in the little creek off the main river. I'll have to grab a little minnow catching net to pick some up while floating around.

I gave drifting bottom a try, but it was sort of the limits of my ultra-light short rod. I went to a lighter bottom bouncer and gave it a shot. Good learning experience though.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

I'm honestly glad you said the SA name came first, excellent.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Sockington posted:

Took it for an uneventful quick rip.

If you are going to transport it rightside up, I strongly suggest doing a bow and stern tiedown. I use these cheap rope cam-pulleys and they will help a ton if I have have to slam my brakes.

Also is that UglyStick an UL casting rod?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

bongwizzard posted:

If you are going to transport it rightside up, I strongly suggest doing a bow and stern tiedown. I use these cheap rope cam-pulleys and they will help a ton if I have have to slam my brakes.

Also is that UglyStick an UL casting rod?

Makes sense. The rear tie points are eyelets that go through the plywood and into the shell, so they hold tight. I then use the fabric strap behind the rod holder and crank the poo poo out of it with knots on each side. I'm a rope access technician, so my knots are usually pretty good (alpine butterfly works great for making quick Pickerel rigs on the fly).

I'll look into the nose/tail tie down system as it would be less work than what I have going on and way safer.

The Ugly Stick is a "micro" combo setup they sell. There's a bait casting and a spincaster setup available. Our local store charges half price if you just take the rod from a combo setup. It was their shortest lighter action rod under 5 feet.

I think it'll really shine when I take it to the slower moving offshoots of our main river where I can work towards my limit of 50 yellow perch in one day. :quagmire:

Sockington fucked around with this message at 03:40 on May 12, 2018

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Sockington posted:

Makes sense. The rear tie points are eyelets that go through the plywood and into the shell, so they hold tight. I then use the fabric strap behind the rod holder and crank the poo poo out of it with knots on each side. I'm a rope access technician, so my knots are usually pretty good (alpine butterfly works great for making quick Pickerel rigs on the fly).

I'll look into the nose/tail tie down system as it would be less work than what I have going on and way safer.

The Ugly Stick is a "micro" combo setup they sell. There's a bait casting and a spincaster setup available. Our local store charges half price if you just take the rod from a combo setup. It was their shortest lighter action rod under 5 feet.

I think it'll really shine when I take it to the slower moving offshoots of our main river where I can work towards my limit of 50 yellow perch in one day. :quagmire:

Ah, I am/was a stagehand/rigger, so a well secured load is extremely my poo poo. I use straps (that I have cut to length so there is only like a 6-8” tag left after they are cinched) to go across the top of my
yak down to my roof rack, then the cam-pulleys to keep the bow/stern from shifting. Running the yak right side up gives a lot less surface area for the straps to contact so if you end up with a lot less friction holding your boat in place. I would love to find some slightly higher grade cam-pulleys however, the ones I have are plastic and I suspect the metal inner parts are going to rust out by the end of the year. I don’t need anything big or super highly rated, but I’m not finding much with my googlings.

I have a pair of ultralight casing Rods and they are a blast. Look around for a Ray’s Studio/DIY spool for your reel. I’m not sure if they make them for that model, but if they do it will be a casting super light lures a ton easier.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Neighbour took me out on his 14' aluminum for some drifting. Smallest was 19.5" and the largest 23.5".

Bag of meat for dinner with family tomorrow.

:dukedoge:

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

drat dude, change your name from Sockington to No Filla King Walleye Killa. Insane.

I had a little adventure today, so I am posting about it! I went out this morning, hit my usual shore spot at my local lake for no bites, like usual. I look over and... HOLY poo poo!

Scared a stain into my underwear. Luckily, it was dead. I thought it was a gopher snake at first but once I mustered the courage to inspect it closer I saw the rattles on it's tail. Fished that spot for no bites, then went and found a new one. If you remember my story from a few posts back about getting the prop clogged with tules, I was in that spot again but this time from the shore. Threw the frog around the tule lines for no bites, then I grabbed the trusty ultra light with the 2" swim bait (same one I use for trout). A few casts in and BAM. Drag is screaming, I'm fighting a monster! I get him up aaaaaaaaaaand, it's my first bluegill!

That bad boy fought like a fish twice it's size. It also peed on me. Twice. Released him because I had no stringer/cooler. Fished a little longer and kaboom! Another fish!

Fought about 1/3 as hard as the bluegill. I dropped my rod to get my massive beast of a fish and apparently I dropped it on a rock that snapped the tip. Heartbreaking :(

Anyone have any experience with Daiwa rod warranties? I'm guessing it'll be a waste of time to send it in, I should just buy a new one.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

joem83 posted:

Anyone have any experience with Daiwa rod warranties? I'm guessing it'll be a waste of time to send it in, I should just buy a new one.

gently caress dude, I'm sorry about the rod. :( Here's a link to the warranty claim form if you want it. If it costs more to ship than replace it probably isn't worth doing the paperwork.

That is awesome about everything else though! That is probably the best rattlesnake encounter one could have, and congrats on the bluegill! Panfish put up so much fight for their size. This is the part where I repeat how much fun surf perch are on light tackle.

Sockington posted:

WalleyeFest Spring '18

You bastard, I am seethingly jealous. What's your rig setup when you drift? I'm wondering if it's like a salmon and steelhead mooching rig here. Fantastic haul, seriously well done.

I didn't catch this little octopus on Saturday, but my new pier buddy did. I was trying to coax out some pile perch that didn't give a poo poo about anything, and dude's over catching flatfish and little rockfish. He said he took a cabezon right there by the marina, so I think next time I go to the pier I'll probably fish his way. Pile perch don't seem like reliable quarry, as much fun as they are to catch. Surf perch take bait willingly and aggressively, sea perch seem cautious and picky as all gently caress. I don't get it.

Yesterday I went to a new lake specifically for crappie and yellow perch. I drifted around on my float tube, but didn't get any takers. My gear performed well and I got some more practice reading the fish finder, but after a couple of hours it turned into a shitshow Mother's Day lake party. I really should have known that was going to happen when I first saw the numerous picnic areas, but I thought that the lake might be big enough to get away from them all. It was not, which sucks: crappie aren't native here and they're not in very many lakes, so it's a drag that this one didn't turn out well.

Does anybody fish crappie itt, or is that what retirees do? I think I remember forums user extra stout mentioning it, and I would encourage them to sperg out about crappie if they feel like it.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Turner's has these Californian rods that are Phenix blanks, think I'm gonna get one of those instead. I've heard decent things about them, they're about the same price as my Daiwa and if anything happens I can handle everything in store. I've seen some people say that they will sometimes replace it no questions asked.

I'm eyeballing the 7 footer. Might go grab one on my lunch break tomorrow.

https://www.turners.com/californian/californian-ctx-spinning-trout-664655

Re: crappie. They're in my local lake and not targeted often. I wanna get on some, never caught one before. I have been hoping for one to bite then I throw the mini swimbait.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

I've been crappie fishing plenty here in MN, and what everyone I know does is hook a fathead or shiner minnow through the back with a sinker a foot or so from the hook, with a bobber + stop suspending the minnow a foot or two off the bottom. just let it sit for the most part, with the occasional small jig to keep the minnow lively. The minnow should do most of the work, swimming around and looking appetizing. Crappie hit the hook kinda weird. A lot of the time I'll just see the bobber go limp and lay on its side, because the fish will take the minnow and swim straight up. Careful with the hookset, as they're way smarter than sunfish.

I can't really speak to where in the lake to target them... That was usually my dad's arena and I stupidly didn't pay too much attention. They like structure and dropoffs though, like most predatory fish. You'll definitely see them if you have a fish finder.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Hooplah posted:

I've been crappie fishing plenty here in MN, and what everyone I know does is hook a fathead or shiner minnow through the back with a sinker a foot or so from the hook, with a bobber + stop suspending the minnow a foot or two off the bottom. just let it sit for the most part, with the occasional small jig to keep the minnow lively. The minnow should do most of the work, swimming around and looking appetizing. Crappie hit the hook kinda weird. A lot of the time I'll just see the bobber go limp and lay on its side, because the fish will take the minnow and swim straight up. Careful with the hookset, as they're way smarter than sunfish.

I can't really speak to where in the lake to target them... That was usually my dad's arena and I stupidly didn't pay too much attention. They like structure and dropoffs though, like most predatory fish. You'll definitely see them if you have a fish finder.

Thanks! gently caress, it's illegal in WA to use live fish as bait in fresh water. I think I'm going to need to figure out a jig and soft plastic solution. Why do I have the feeling that after having tried a bunch of jighead and grub color combinations, I'd throw out a worm and bobber and have better luck? The lake I was fishing was almost 80' deep in some places (Deep Lake isn't a clever name), but I was trying to stick to places that looked bassy to me.

I really appreciate you speaking to your experience, though! That is good hookset info for sure. I've heard crappies referred to as paper mouths before, like you have to be sort of gentle or else you can rip right through their weird lips. Does that sound right to you?

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Thanks! gently caress, it's illegal in WA to use live fish as bait in fresh water. I think I'm going to need to figure out a jig and soft plastic solution. Why do I have the feeling that after having tried a bunch of jighead and grub color combinations, I'd throw out a worm and bobber and have better luck? The lake I was fishing was almost 80' deep in some places (Deep Lake isn't a clever name), but I was trying to stick to places that looked bassy to me.

I really appreciate you speaking to your experience, though! That is good hookset info for sure. I've heard crappies referred to as paper mouths before, like you have to be sort of gentle or else you can rip right through their weird lips. Does that sound right to you?

Crappie stick to the deeper water when they're not spawning, so not really in the same areas as bass. A deep lake is really good! I think spinners and jigheads can definitely work, but use small ones. They don't have huge mouths like bass.

The thing about the lips sounds right. I don't remember ever tearing them off, but they're pretty small and thin. I was always taught to pull up steadily and and not jerk the line.

Actually, I'm not sure of when spawning happens in WA. If they're spawning now, they'll be up in the shallows, and you can target them very similarly to bass, by harassing them with small jigheads. I'm a lot more familiar with fall and ice fishing, though.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I was sort of trying to take the spawn into consideration; it has started to really warm up here in western Washington and I wondered if that was going to trigger it. I was thinking about bassy-looking areas for the cover-loving, predator fish behavior like you mentioned earlier. I'll keep the depth in mind when scouting new lakes, though! I don't think I'd go back to that one.

I think the jigs I was using may have been too light, too. I was tossing 1/16 and 1/32 oz roundheads, but I think they were drifting too much and I wasn't really putting them in front of the fish. The tube & tail jig mold I bought has cavities for 1/8 and 1/4 oz. I'm very stoked to get them poured and painted.

Edit: pics added

Sitting on top of a bunch of fish and can't do poo poo about it. :saddowns:

A Pack of Kobolds fucked around with this message at 17:22 on May 15, 2018

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

I picked up my replacement rod today. It doesn't look as nice as my other rod when paired up with this reel, but it seems to cast better so that's a plus! Went out and tossed the little swim jig around for a bit during my lunch break. Got a few bites and I saw a 20+ lb carp eatin' leaves off the surface. Good lunch break.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

That still looks awesome though, I really wanna get a float tube! Unfortunately, I also want some of those fancy Force Fins because anything that makes my lazy rear end exert less energy is a win in my book. Watch out for the rattlers, apparently they like to come chill on float tubes!