Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Dramicus posted:

This is the biggest/only complaint I have. There are only 2 possibilities for weights above 55 tons. If I see a 90ton mech, I know its a Highlander and due to rarity there's like a 95% chance that a 75ton mech is an orion or that a 70 ton is a grasshopper.
It varies. I just had a destroy-base contract that threw 1 Quickdraw and no less than 3 Cataphracts at me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

SilverMike posted:

You could pull it off in a Jager S if you were willing to run dangerously light on armor and only have 30 or 45 rounds of ammo. Heat's low enough on AC/5s to not need heat sinks.

bleeeeech. If I'm gonna go full Thunder Of My Guns I want it on something that can take a punch

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Sombrerotron posted:

It varies. I just had a destroy-base contract that threw 1 Quickdraw and no less than 3 Cataphracts at me.

I'm halfway through my second campaign and I have never seen a Cataphract. Not once.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Dramicus posted:

I also figured that the Warhammer 40k rule to salvage applied when it came to mechs. That in most circumstances pretty much any mech could be recovered and repaired from all but the most severe damage. That the chassis itself was made of incredibly stern stuff, and all it would take is some time and money to repair the armor and reattach lost weapons. So like in 40k, even if heavy losses were incurred it was possible to come back from that, given enough time. With this being the case, it would also mean that offensive operations would be incredibly risky as it could be difficult to recover and salvage damaged equipment. Defensively, you might even encourage the enemy to attack as there was a good chance they would have to leave behind equipment if they failed. This would also mean that light and medium mechs would see far more use as they could use their speed to effectively withdraw from losing engagements, maybe without even losing any mechs. Whereas the Houses would be hesitant to commit heavy and assault mechs to anything other than defensive actions or specific attacks, as it would be far too likely to run the risk of having them cut off from salvage operations.

A good insight into pre-core Inner Sphere fighting is Decision at Thunder Rift: The action is on a desert planet and we learn through the story that the planet was supposed to be terraformed. There are still broken domes and poo poo leftover from that time, rudely interrupted by the Succession Wars. Then we have Grayson Carlyle running around salvaging his enemy's mechs like a motherfucker to build his own force and in the final battle, the enemy doesn't actually fight to the bitter end. The Rifleman leading the main force retreats after taking a walloping, and Grayson's troops leave him be, fearing the damage they would take in an attempt to stop him.

The entire backstory of that conflict gives some more insight: House Kurita uses subterfuge and a false flag operation to attack, so they can take the planet as "liberators" later, rather then openly attack a planet ruled by House Steiner. Through this, the reader is lead to believe the great Houses will got through all manners of shady poo poo to prevent their irreplaceable main armies from getting hurt on the battlefield.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Skippy McPants posted:

I'm halfway through my second campaign and I have never seen a Cataphract. Not once.

A Cataphract was the very first Heavy I ever salvaged. I have never seen a Grasshopper.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
On a Martian planet:

Glitch: "Hey look, rocks!" :yayclod:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Dramicus posted:

This is the biggest/only complaint I have. There are only 2 possibilities for weights above 55 tons. If I see a 90ton mech, I know its a Highlander and due to rarity there's like a 95% chance that a 75ton mech is an orion or that a 70 ton is a grasshopper.

There's occasionally some Victors at the 90 ton range. I managed to do a mission where I knocked out a Victor and Highlander pilot at the same time and got both mechs.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Party Plane Jones posted:

There's occasionally some Victors at the 90 ton range. I managed to do a mission where I knocked out a Victor and Highlander pilot at the same time and got both mechs.

Did you knock one out and then it domino'd over onto the other one's head for the double kill

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I got a jagermech-s with the quad ACs, is that a decent load out? 2x5s and 2x2s? I've not really used the 2 much, seems a bit pants.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Eej posted:

Did you knock one out and then it domino'd over onto the other one's head for the double kill

If I remember right I had knocked them over twice and blown off some center torso sections/legs so when they stood up again I missile boated them over on the next turn for a pilot knockout.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

ac5s are nice. ac2s are kinda eh. if you can fit better stuff on it go ahead and rip those out.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
So am I misunderstanding salvage? You can nuke both side torsos and a leg (and pilot hits as needed) and get full salvage? I thought it had to have 1 side torso, center torso (obviously), and 1 leg for 3 parts.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Thronde posted:

So am I misunderstanding salvage? You can nuke both side torsos and a leg (and pilot hits as needed) and get full salvage? I thought it had to have 1 side torso, center torso (obviously), and 1 leg for 3 parts.

regardless of how much damage you do on the thing:

a CT kill gives you one part

a leg kill gives you two parts

a cockpit/pilot injury kill gives you three parts

So you could blow out the CT and nothing else and get only one part, or destroy everything but the CT and one leg and get three parts

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yeah, I'd like some salvage info too- I've never scored a headshot, not even once, and now that I've started a new game I'd like to have some chance of getting a cool mech without praying to RNGesus.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Thronde posted:

Nope, salvage rules for Mechs are as follows:
CT blown up is 1 part.
Both legs blown off get you 2 parts.
Killing the pilot by destroying the head or dealing enough damage via knockdowns, LT/RT destruction, and ammo explosions gets you 3 parts.

And this is completely separate from the equipment and weapons you get from Mechs, which will require not destroying the part they were on.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Thronde posted:

I think the game doesn't count this precise. It's just dead pilot = 3 parts, two legs broken = 2 parts and center torso blown out = 1 part. So if you smash everything besides center torso and one leg, killing the pilot will still give you three parts. Likewise a totally pristine mech minus only the CT is still just one part.

Edit:

Beaten like a rabid dog, yikes that was fast

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

CommissarMega posted:

Yeah, I'd like some salvage info too- I've never scored a headshot, not even once, and now that I've started a new game I'd like to have some chance of getting a cool mech without praying to RNGesus.

You don't need to score a headshot necessarily, you need to incapacitate the pilot

so what you can do is focus on knockdowns, which give one pilot hit, blow out side torsos (also a pilot hit), ammo explosions, random heat-hits with 80 LRMs, etc.

it requires some babysitting but you can totally do it if you set out to

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Thronde posted:

R and L torsos, arms, and head have no impact on mech piece salvage (you get 3 pieces). Destroying one leg has no effect (you get 3). Destroying both legs means you get 2. Destroying CT leaves you with 1.

No idea if/how limb destruction affects component salvage from those limbs.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

aparmenideanmonad posted:

R and L torsos, arms, and head have no impact on mech piece salvage (you get 3 pieces). Destroying one leg has no effect (you get 3). Destroying both legs means you get 2. Destroying CT leaves you with 1.

There does appear to be some randomness to it.

I domed a Cataphract with an AC20 and only got 2/3 salvage.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Any weapons or components in destroyed limbs/body parts are taken out of the pool of salvage you can get at the end of a mission. So if you blow up the right torso a Hunchback has its AC/10 in that AC/10 won't be available for salvage where it would be if you cored the Hunchback instead.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Whoops and here I've been alpha striking the facefucker cannon off of any Hunchbacks I see cause giant cannon shells hurt.

This could explain my chronic lack of spare AC/20s just in case my Orion's arm gets blown off.

cugel
Jan 22, 2010
Laser Hunchbacks aim for the right torso where the lasers are.

AC/20 Hunchbacks aim for the left torso where the ammo is.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
It's really stupid that unmanned drones will all trip over themselves to attack the MUST SURVIVE member of your group, and ONLY that member, every turn.

It's almost like the game wouldn't have any challenge unless they created exploitative AI and outnumbered you 2-1 in every fight.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Interested in getting this. Is there a lot of replay value in this? Or is it play the campaign once type of thing? And is there any online modes?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

The AI is set to ignore priority targets and instead return fire at things that shot at them for 2 turns after receiving fire. So, aggro those bitches to protect your convoy.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Ulio posted:

Interested in getting this. Is there a lot of replay value in this? Or is it play the campaign once type of thing? And is there any online modes?

Currently once you've done one pretty thorough playthrough of the main campaign there isn't much new to see, though you can keep playing to build an army of rediculously perfect death mechs. A recent dev AMA on Reddit made it sound like they have a lot of plans for adding new content even before they start talking about DLCs so the amount of value you can get out of the campaign is very likely to increase from the level it's at presently.

There's an online skirmish mode, no matchmaking, you just play 4v4 against another player.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Skippy McPants posted:

Same, only I'm like 8/10ths through my first campaign. It's all thunderbolts, awesomes, dragons and quickdraws.

E: and higlanders, the most boring assault.

ditty bout my clitty fucked around with this message at 23:48 on May 6, 2018

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

It's really stupid that unmanned drones will all trip over themselves to attack the MUST SURVIVE member of your group, and ONLY that member, every turn.

It's almost like the game wouldn't have any challenge unless they created exploitative AI and outnumbered you 2-1 in every fight.

On one hand, making AI is hard. On the other hand, having an AI that just 4v4s you evenly every fight is exhausting and will lead to a lot of dead pilots. In a campaign like this you absolutely need to be able to 1v2 consistently or you'll just always be recruiting fresh pilots.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I love when the events are completely in character with how I imagine crew is like.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I have a sneaking suspicion that Glitch is the Mechwarrior skinny-dipping in the coolant.

Pattonesque posted:

You don't need to score a headshot necessarily, you need to incapacitate the pilot

so what you can do is focus on knockdowns, which give one pilot hit, blow out side torsos (also a pilot hit), ammo explosions, random heat-hits with 80 LRMs, etc.

it requires some babysitting but you can totally do it if you set out to

Awesome, thanks!

Sadistic
Dec 1, 2004
In his image God made me ugly.

Dramicus posted:

I have 90 hours in this game and I've seen 2 Cataphracts.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

That'll do some fire support, for sure :v:

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010

Arrath posted:

Whoops and here I've been alpha striking the facefucker cannon off of any Hunchbacks I see cause giant cannon shells hurt.

This could explain my chronic lack of spare AC/20s just in case my Orion's arm gets blown off.

The trick is to go for the ammo in the other torso instead.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

RabidWeasel posted:

Currently once you've done one pretty thorough playthrough of the main campaign there isn't much new to see, though you can keep playing to build an army of rediculously perfect death mechs. A recent dev AMA on Reddit made it sound like they have a lot of plans for adding new content even before they start talking about DLCs so the amount of value you can get out of the campaign is very likely to increase from the level it's at presently.

There's an online skirmish mode, no matchmaking, you just play 4v4 against another player.

How long is the main campaign?

DeepThrobble
Sep 18, 2006

Dramicus posted:

I also figured that the Warhammer 40k rule to salvage applied when it came to mechs. That in most circumstances pretty much any mech could be recovered and repaired from all but the most severe damage. That the chassis itself was made of incredibly stern stuff, and all it would take is some time and money to repair the armor and reattach lost weapons. So like in 40k, even if heavy losses were incurred it was possible to come back from that, given enough time. With this being the case, it would also mean that offensive operations would be incredibly risky as it could be difficult to recover and salvage damaged equipment. Defensively, you might even encourage the enemy to attack as there was a good chance they would have to leave behind equipment if they failed. This would also mean that light and medium mechs would see far more use as they could use their speed to effectively withdraw from losing engagements, maybe without even losing any mechs. Whereas the Houses would be hesitant to commit heavy and assault mechs to anything other than defensive actions or specific attacks, as it would be far too likely to run the risk of having them cut off from salvage operations.
You actually have the right of it. Barring destruction of the center torso, any mech can be salvaged and eventually rebuilt. Despite the Mechwarrior games and competitive tabletop players skewing things toward the biggest and baddest mechs, mediums and lights are supposed to be the most common weight classes. Assault mechs are rare and held back so they can be committed to actual assaults when all the lighter elements are joined in battle. The tabletop has an optional forced withdrawal mechanic to model people wanting to disengage and preserve their mechs over fighting to the death, so beyond unlucky crits the mechs leave the field mostly intact. Of course it's a lot more fun and tense for players to play the fight out, so that's the default. I do agree with a lot of others that it'd be nice to have some more nuance and have enemies flee or eject when things are clearly not in their favor instead of the death spiral of eternal aggression.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

CommissarMega posted:

I have a sneaking suspicion that Glitch is the Mechwarrior skinny-dipping in the coolant.

When you build a pool she recruits half a dozen others!

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Yeah in 90% of cases where it wasn't someone deciding "No...this is it, I'm eating heat death for honor", any legit commander at lance level or higher, even with lovely rear end merc units would be like "crawl the gently caress out of the cock pit. don't eject and don't blow the reactor. The gently caress you thinking?"

e: although the advanced rules where you could take three turns to purposely self destruct your own reactor and cause a nuclear explosion were pretty legit. I think the rules were something like "divide the weight of the mech by 10. Anything withing 1 hex radius of that is obliterated. by 2 50%, and so on" I think I'm overpowering that, but still, if you stood still for 3 turns you could cause yourself to nuke out.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 01:38 on May 7, 2018

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

she never got targeted by a single one of those for me, position/evasion matters to their AI just like anything else

also 4v4 in this game is simply too easy after a point. It's not too hard to make it a guaranteed 4 kills without even armor breaking once you're into a mixed medium/heavy lance much less overgunned heavies/assaults. You gotta get used to being outnumbered because that's how you're forced to make tough choices to win despite taking damage. The AI has a lot of things turned off - it could be a lot meaner, but I bet you wouldn't like getting one-turn alphaed in return! I know I wouldn't :v:

Psion fucked around with this message at 01:31 on May 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Ulio posted:

How long is the main campaign?

Uhh it's pretty long, I think on a first playthrough you're looking at ~30 hours minimum assuming that you do a bunch of procedurally generated missions and actually read the flavour text / story etc.

If you rush it super hard I think that there's only 10 missions you absolutely must do but you do get forced into doing side missions from time to time so probably you can potentially squeeze the campaign into less than 15 hours if you know exactly what you're doing