Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Take a cue from Arm Joe and let’s have Les Mis musou

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Behold the new ruler of China:

My lord!

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

kirbysuperstar posted:

Well, at least you can play as Jeanne in WO3 and she's pretty solid there.

I haven't gotten to unlocking a lot of the characters yet, but those bonus characters is partially what attracted me to WO3. Bladestorm sounded like it wasn't worth trying, and I read that Warriors game set in Troy didn't do so well, so having them in WO3, along with the Ninja Gaiden cast made it sound like the best time-travel fan-fic video game ever.

Regarding Empires, I've only played Samurai Warriors 4 Empires, and...it was okay. I don't know if Dynasty Warriors 8 Empires is any different or, but the character creation/Genesis mode in SW4E fell a little flat for me. It could just be my lack of creativity, but you don't have a real wealth of customization options to choose. Still, it is fun to create a bunch of goofy characters and interject them into a game alongside the regular characters. Playing as your own dumb OC and teaming up with Oda Nobunaga to fight the Takeda/Gary Stu alliance makes for some good laughs.

I do still want to try DW8E, but I'm not sure whether to get it for PC (I think there's some overlap with it and the DLC for DW8Xtreme, but it has some technical problems) or PS4. I also don't know if it plays any differently than SW4E. DW8E looks a little more fleshed out from what little I've seen of it.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Just digging though some old DW8 screenshots and burst out laughing at this even though there's nothing to really laugh at:

Max Wilco posted:

I do still want to try DW8E, but I'm not sure whether to get it for PC (I think there's some overlap with it and the DLC for DW8Xtreme, but it has some technical problems) or PS4. I also don't know if it plays any differently than SW4E. DW8E looks a little more fleshed out from what little I've seen of it.
There's definitely some overlap with the DLC since I was immediately able to run around with characters dressed up like it's 2001 all over again. DW8E is fine I suppose, you certainly have plenty of options to mess around with during a campaign (albeit many of them depending on your character's position in the kingdom's hierarchy) and creating ridiculous poo poo to fight alongside/against is never not funny. You can even make the dumbest loving warhorse; some fat dumpy thing with tiny little legs and a massive head.

I'm currently in the middle of an idiot campaign where I'm trying drat hard to sabotage Shu's efforts from the inside by wasting all the resources on unhelpful crap before I defect to Jin (or just start an uprising) and stomp all over them. Harder than it sounds.

Edit:
There's also the whole character relationship aspect where marriage happens, followed by the birth of a Dynasty Babby, and then that babby becomes a playable officer comprised of Edit Mode bits and pieces. I don't know if there's some sort of (very basic) algorithm at work to try and make said Babby Warrior look like a blend of the two officers in question (I doubt it though) but the results are often hilarious and/or terrifying nontheless.

EXAMPLE:
Lu Bu + Xingcai = Whatever this is:

ZogrimAteMyHamster fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Apr 28, 2018

Remarker
Feb 7, 2011

EXAMPLE:

Excuse me, that's my wife

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

What level are you supposed to be playing Gauntlet mode at in Orochi 3 because I get destroyed instantly even on the first stage?

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Sakurazuka posted:

What level are you supposed to be playing Gauntlet mode at in Orochi 3 because I get destroyed instantly even on the first stage?

It is absolutely intended for play after you've cleared Story Mode. It can be used for grinding, though, because enemies (especially in the early stages) typically start out very low-level and ramp up as time passes, and there's an endless supply of them.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ah, that's kind of what I figured, thanks

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Okay so is there some sort of magic bullshit required to finish the "Persistence Pays Off" Raid Scenario in DW8E? Because no matter what I do, any bases I'm not in or near just get loving hosed in moments and it's obviously impossible to be in all of them at once to stop this from happening.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

EXAMPLE:

I think you finally ended up with something closer to how Yueying is supposed to look in real life.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

I guess Lingqi took after her mother.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
What is the best Musou of the past few years? Last one I played was Samurai Warriors 4 and I hated it because of what they did to SW, my favorite Musou series. I guess Zelda Warriors? ARE SW2XL HD or SW2E HD in English yet? Because I could just go with that.

Remarker
Feb 7, 2011

Himuro posted:

What is the best Musou of the past few years? Last one I played was Samurai Warriors 4 and I hated it because of what they did to SW, my favorite Musou series. I guess Zelda Warriors? ARE SW2XL HD or SW2E HD in English yet? Because I could just go with that.

They are not and probably never will be :(

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Remarker posted:

They are not and probably never will be :(

Nooooo :smith:

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Himuro posted:

It depends on who you ask, but the front-runners are Hyrule Warriors, Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate, and One Piece Pirate Warriors 3.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
i'll defend fire emblem warriors to my dying breath

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Maleketh posted:

It depends on who you ask, but the front-runners are Hyrule Warriors, Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate, and One Piece Pirate Warriors 3.

I love WO3 but haven’t played Ultimate.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Raserys posted:

i'll defend fire emblem warriors to my dying breath

Same, but I also understand why people were disappointed by it.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Okay so is there some sort of magic bullshit required to finish the "Persistence Pays Off" Raid Scenario in DW8E? Because no matter what I do, any bases I'm not in or near just get loving hosed in moments and it's obviously impossible to be in all of them at once to stop this from happening.
Seems like you just want to beeline the victory condition since you get new spawns at all your bases, only backtracking to clear out close bases. Does seem to be the hardest of the scenarios.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Same, but I also understand why people were disappointed by it.

The extreme lack of character variety is a real drag because I like it a lot better than Hyrule otherwise. That's a pretty big deal for a musou game, though.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Himuro posted:

One Piece 3

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I am probably the biggest FE fan who's favorite is awakening, but I dropped off Warriors because of literal clonnage and I do not remotely like the Peg Knight moveset.

One Piece warriors 3 is the best combat.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I think Hyrule Warriors strikes the best balance. Pirate Warriors 3 has better characters/movesets but it feels kind of bare bones to me otherwise. Of course if you like One Piece significantly more than Zelda or vice versa that probably makes a bigger difference.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

The Moon Monster posted:

I think Hyrule Warriors strikes the best balance. Pirate Warriors 3 has better characters/movesets but it feels kind of bare bones to me otherwise. Of course if you like One Piece significantly more than Zelda or vice versa that probably makes a bigger difference.

The attention to detail in PW3 rules on account of stuff like Sanji dealing basically no damage to women on account of him always refusing to fight women.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

lurksion posted:

Seems like you just want to beeline the victory condition since you get new spawns at all your bases, only backtracking to clear out close bases. Does seem to be the hardest of the scenarios.

Well that fixes it. Wow, it's admittedly pretty poo poo for a scenario built around being difficult, but then that's what happens when it's literally impossible to win without just baserushing for a fast win. Easy way for farming points though.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I'm not sure of the best way to progress in FEW. Most of the guys I've been using are hovering around 40-60, story's complete, I just about managed to get Lyn but S-ranking her mission seems a long way off. (by the way gently caress those 'demon summoner' missions, holy poo poo) Battles are getting to be more of a slog and there doesn't seem to be any quick 'now you can start to annihilate everything' point.

I've started collecting Silver weapons but I'm not sure what I should be doing other than that to beef my guys up.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Put paragon on someone you want to level up a lot and do history missions until they get to a high level and you have a lot of money. Weapons you aren't going to use and don't have useful attributes to feed to ones you will are also a good source of money. Once you have a lot of money built up you can level a whole bunch of characters to what you need. Temple blessings can help.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Stelas posted:

I'm not sure of the best way to progress in FEW. Most of the guys I've been using are hovering around 40-60, story's complete, I just about managed to get Lyn but S-ranking her mission seems a long way off. (by the way gently caress those 'demon summoner' missions, holy poo poo) Battles are getting to be more of a slog and there doesn't seem to be any quick 'now you can start to annihilate everything' point.

I've started collecting Silver weapons but I'm not sure what I should be doing other than that to beef my guys up.

Have you focused on bonding everyone with certain characters for their personal skill? Ryoma, Chrom, Lucina, Robin, Lyn, and Camilla's skills are generally good to have. Otherwise, it's just forging good weapon skills onto your weapons. I haven't played FEW's dlc so I dunno how good those dlc skills are, but you'd basically give slayer attributes to cover things that'd give that character trouble, like lances getting plateslayer. It also ends up saving a lot of time since slayers can kill things fast, despite the decrease in base atk.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
In the shadow missions, the key is to have someone tank as many shadows as possible while you have a Lyn or a Ryoma make a beeline for the summoners

Once they're gone there won't be any additional shadow spawns, so have someone with weapon advantage or high def/res hold the main base, occasionally switching back to them or a healer

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Allarion posted:

Have you focused on bonding everyone with certain characters for their personal skill? Ryoma, Chrom, Lucina, Robin, Lyn, and Camilla's skills are generally good to have.

Bonding has felt really slow and really tricky to force - there's generally such a mess of poo poo happening at all times in each battle that I don't feel like Pairing up is the greatest of ideas. I probably need to grab a Bond Charm or three. Levelling doesn't really seem to give much in the way of raw attack, depending on character?

I think Lianna's about to be able to equip S rank weapons so I'll probably get some mileage out of tearing people up with that for a while.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Stelas posted:

Bonding has felt really slow and really tricky to force - there's generally such a mess of poo poo happening at all times in each battle that I don't feel like Pairing up is the greatest of ideas. I probably need to grab a Bond Charm or three. Levelling doesn't really seem to give much in the way of raw attack, depending on character?

Grab the Bond Charm, Pair Up, and use Dual Specials a lot. You will generally hit C and B levels in one battle each, with A or A+ being anywhere from 2-3 battles.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I'll give it a go, thanks.

I think that's one thing FEW did really well, while I'm thinking about it - being able to order people around directly allowed them to throw an absolute mountain of poo poo at you every single battle. DW8 you generally only had one thing to worry about at any given time. In FEW I've sometimes had to fail missions just because I'm busy, god drat it.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

You can also do story missions, since completing objectives gives bond points for a couple people at once.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Stelas posted:

I'll give it a go, thanks.

I think that's one thing FEW did really well, while I'm thinking about it - being able to order people around directly allowed them to throw an absolute mountain of poo poo at you every single battle. DW8 you generally only had one thing to worry about at any given time. In FEW I've sometimes had to fail missions just because I'm busy, god drat it.

Hyrule Warriors (Legends and Definitive) have this as well.

I'd love to see one of the mainline games copy it. Heck it'd be brilliant to tie to being a commander in Empires.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Directing your other playable character started on samurai warriors.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Mokinokaro posted:

Hyrule Warriors (Legends and Definitive) have this as well.

I'd love to see one of the mainline games copy it. Heck it'd be brilliant to tie to being a commander in Empires.

Empires usually has that option, but often it never works out as well as doing it yourself. Even with 8 Empires, where you can have them with a bunch of buff strategies and such.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 06:20 on May 7, 2018

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Stelas posted:

Just a heads up because I was an idiot about this - try and unlock Brave weapons. I think they're on Lyn's history map mainly. In normal FE games Silver weapons are the best "generic" weapons and Brave have a gimmick to them so I didn't rush to get them, but in this game Brave weapons are basically the A rank generic.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Tae posted:

Directing your other playable character started on samurai warriors.

And I've hated it ever since.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's incredibly useful even if you only use it to teleport yourself around the map faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Playing more than one character is a thing that is only beneficial :psyduck: Literally no downside, because you can just ignore it if you really hate it