Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Voyager I posted:

Backstabber Lights are an extremely real thing that you should be afraid of, though.
I suppose their boot plowing through your chest and into your back armor technically rates as a backstab :v:

My campaign hates the thought of Jenners being more than a myth with a fiery passion though. It preferred to spam Laser Commandos and Panthers.

Helion posted:

I just got an 8 laser hunchback....but what do I DO with it? Slow, low armor, no jets... I don't know how I can get it up to the front without getting wrecked as well as keeping it up there without getting cored.....

Helion posted:

Hmmm, maybe I misread it. That would indeed be the missing piece I was looking for.

Maybe you were thinking of the Laser Shadowhawk, instead of the laser Hunchback. If I recall right that thing did come with some crazy low armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
It turns out that you can tell by the tags what weapons a planet can offer from their shop:

So this might help your quest for that utterly rare AC/20 +++ to know that you'll only find it on worlds with Research or Former Star League Preference, or a Free Worlds League planet with Manufacturing, Rich and Research.

https://battletech.gamepedia.com/Weapon_shop_locations

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
Huh. So there's a quick start milestone already pre-programmed into the game for testing purposes. It lets you skip all the leopard stuff and start with the Argo. On top of that, milestones do appear to handle flipping planets from one faction to another. So once someone figures out to insert milestones via missions and events it'll be entirely possible to add an actual dynamic galaxy to the game that changes over time.

Not sure if anyone is interested in that stuff but that basically means that the game has the potential to get a hell of a lot more entertaining if some decent modders have the time to work on it.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
If people manage to mod in a dynamic map and combine it with a mod that adds the entire Inner Sphere that would make this game the best Battletech game there is

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Eej posted:

If people manage to mod in a dynamic map and combine it with a mod that adds the entire Inner Sphere that would make this game the best Battletech game there is

Not sure how to get it into the UI yet but from the looks of it it's definitely possible to add in or alter existing star systems.

Just about everything is in JSON files, which are editable by anyone with a text editor.

Planets also have price variables attached to them for some reason, despite not being able to buy them. I assume it's either a holdover from an unimplemented feature or they have them for some vague programming reason that requires them to be listed like items.

code:
    "Description": {
        "Id": "starsystemdef_Adrar",
        "Name": "Adrar",
        "Details": "The surface of Adrar is ruined and polluted after an early attempt at independence was quelled, harshly, by Capellan forces. The remaining population struggles to sustain an agricultural industry in the wreckage.",
        "Icon": "",
        "Cost": 0,
        "Rarity": 0,
        "Purchasable": false
There's also what appear to be predefined difficulty settings set up you could swap in. So that apparently didn't make it into the live release.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 05:34 on May 7, 2018

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

TastyLemonDrops posted:

I think people are underestimating what their lance is capable of when being so fearful of fighting two or three lances at once. Just do it!

Any tips on juggling multiple lances in a Battle procgen mid-game when your average drop weight is ~200 tons?

I have the worst luck with stumbling into the reinforcements at the same time as the main lance and when there's no cover. Bulwark's nice, but when there's a Shreck, Thunderbolt, Quickdraw, and Cicada in the main lance, and a fully armored Hunchback, 2 Trebuchets, and a Centurion-AL in the reinforcements, that's a lot of incoming heat.

Sadistic
Dec 1, 2004
In his image God made me ugly.

Eej posted:

Imagine this game getting turned into the new version of Mekwars.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Aha. I figured it out! You put star systems on the map through the coordinates in the specific star system file.

code:
    "Position": {
        "x": -9.55,
        "y": -452.23,
        "z": 0
    },
Not sure if that's all that's needed to get them to show up (You'd definitely need to define the faction, contracts, shops, events, etc, etc for an inner sphere mod.) but if so then yeah, it's at the very least theoretically possible for someone to mod in the Inner Sphere so long as it's possible to move the map over far enough to select them. Not even sure where to look for that setting so far though.

I also think i've figured out how to mod in a way to hire/bring support vehicles or extra (At this point AI controlled.) lances to contracts, like in Mercenaries. Doubtless i'll run into some problems before I get it working but it seems doable from what I can see so far.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 05:42 on May 7, 2018

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Eej posted:

I will kill the sworn enemies of everyone at HBS* if they make Mech and Blade.

*Disclaimer: By kill I mean 'slag off under my breath'.

high six
Feb 6, 2010

Helion posted:

I just got an 8 laser hunchback....but what do I DO with it? Slow, low armor, no jets... I don't know how I can get it up to the front without getting wrecked as well as keeping it up there without getting cored.....

I gave it to a guy with enough piloting to get extra sprint distance, put as many jumpjets as I could in it, and took out like two lasers for some more armor I think. It works pretty well.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Sadistic posted:

Imagine this game getting turned into the new version of Mekwars.

First step: Dynamic Map
Second step: Map of the Inner Sphere
Third step: Select your start year and have the factions and technology adjust as appropriate

OhGreatAGinger
Oct 10, 2012

Eej posted:

It is the destiny of HBS Battletech to become a triple-A version of MekHQ, so Blake has written and so shall it be...

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Eej posted:

First step: Dynamic Map
Second step: Map of the Inner Sphere
Third step: Select your start year and have the factions and technology adjust as appropriate

Fourth step: Grand campaign progressing from start year, factions and technology adjusts as appropriate
Fifth step: As above, story events and mission chains pop as appropriate

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

CK2 Inner Sphere

They implemented possessions and poo poo that you can divvy out a while ago. For stuff like heirloom weapons or just trinkets. Now do it with battlemechs.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Sixth step: tech tree and timeline spans hundreds of years so your PC will die of old age and you pass your heirloom mech onto your child.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Argas posted:

CK2 Inner Sphere

They implemented possessions and poo poo that you can divvy out a while ago. For stuff like heirloom weapons or just trinkets. Now do it with battlemechs.

Could go wrong with court management there, though.

“For your great service to the realm, I have decided to reward you with... ((oh hang on wait what do I have lying around... well, I don’t want to part with that Thunderbolt... definitely keeping the Kitano...))

...reward you with this, uh, Locust.

May it forever be your family’s most treasured heirloom.”

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Pirate Radar posted:

Could go wrong with court management there, though.

“For your great service to the realm, I have decided to reward you with... ((oh hang on wait what do I have lying around... well, I don’t want to part with that Thunderbolt... definitely keeping the Kitano...))

...reward you with this, uh, Locust.

May it forever be your family’s most treasured heirloom.”

'My Liege I call in a favour to grab me a boon'

1. 'Take this system. [Lose system of New Avalan]'

2. 'Take my Ancestral Battlemech! [Lose your Atlas]'

3. [High Diplomacy] 'Err...here this brand new battlemech, fresh off the production line with a brand new variant, it is called a Wasp!'

My Khan! The Inner Sphere is in turmoil and Terra is exposed, now is our chance to seize the holy land!

1. Deus Vult!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I mean the event system looks lifted straight from a Paradox game so let's do it modders

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

kingcom posted:

My Khan! The Inner Sphere is in turmoil and Terra is exposed, now is our chance to seize the holy land!

1. Kerensky Vult!

Fixed it for you. Also, :bisonyes:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Also fully playable Dropship Commander

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Booting up MW4 Mercs with the Mekpak mods, and after playing Battletech I'd forgot how silly some of the later variants could be.

Like I'd totally take the Dragon more often if it came with a loving heavy Gauss on top of the LRM/AC5/Medium Lasers...

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Synthbuttrange posted:

Also fully playable Dropship Commander

Is that like Chapter Master?

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Chapter_Master_(game)

A surprisingly decent army management game before it got lawyer'd. I'd play a BT3025 version in a heartbeat

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Booting up MW4 Mercs with the Mekpak mods, and after playing Battletech I'd forgot how silly some of the later variants could be.

Like I'd totally take the Dragon more often if it came with a loving heavy Gauss on top of the LRM/AC5/Medium Lasers...

MW4 Mercs is just Grampy Spectre's Absolutely True Tall Tales so I wouldn't really put any stock into what mech variants may or may not exist based on that game.

Duncan Fisher however is extremely real and strong and my friend (of a friend of a friend)

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XvjcCHjvok

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Im wanting to make AC/2s and AC/5s fire in bursts of 5x5 damage vs 25 and 3x15 damage vs 45, respectively with ammo use and stability damage adjusted to fit. Ammo boxes increased in capacity to allow 10 rounds of firing per ton/gun with the new ammo usage. More or less mimic LB-X series cannons, making the smaller auto cannons into giant machineguns. Here is my attempt with an AC/2. First test saw it fire one projectile, do 25 damage, and take 5 ammo. 2nd attempt I set "ProjectilesPerShot" : 1, to 5. it played 5 sound effects, but only showed 1 projectile, and a single 25 damage number. Looking at LRMs, Machine Guns, and SRMs, im not seeing If what i want isnt there, or if its an engine thing. Thoughts?

code:
{
    "Category" : "Ballistic",
    "Type" : "Autocannon",
    "WeaponSubType" : "AC2",
    "MinRange" : 120,
    "MaxRange" : 720,
    "RangeSplit" : [
    ],
    "AmmoCategory" : "AC2",
    "StartingAmmoCapacity" : 0,
    "HeatGenerated" : 5,
    "Damage" : 5,
    "OverheatedDamageMultiplier" : 0,
    "EvasiveDamageMultiplier" : 0,
    "EvasivePipsIgnored" : 0,
    "DamageVariance" : 0,
    "HeatDamage" : 0,
    "AccuracyModifier" : 0,
    "CriticalChanceMultiplier" : 1,
    "AOECapable" : false,
    "IndirectFireCapable" : false,
    "RefireModifier" : 1,
    "ShotsWhenFired" : 5,
    "ProjectilesPerShot" : 1,
    "AttackRecoil" : 1,
    "Instability" : 1, 
    "WeaponEffectID" : "WeaponEffect-Weapon_AC2",
    "Description" : {
        "Cost" : 50000,
        "Rarity" : 0,
        "Purchasable" : true,
        "Manufacturer" : "GM",
        "Model" : "Sniper Autocannon",
        "UIName" : "AC/2",
        "Id" : "Weapon_Autocannon_AC2_0-STOCK",
        "Name" : "AC/2",
        "Details" : "Intended for use as supporting fire at very long range, AC/2s deal moderate damage with low heat and a large ammunition count per ton. Like all Autocannon weaponry, AC/2s suffer from recoil effects from continuous fire.",
        "Icon" : "uixSvgIcon_weapon_Ballistic"
    },
    "BonusValueA" : "",
    "BonusValueB" : "",
    "ComponentType" : "Weapon",
    "ComponentSubType" : "Weapon",
    "PrefabIdentifier" : "AC2",
    "BattleValue" : 0,
    "InventorySize" : 1,
    "Tonnage" : 6,
    "AllowedLocations" : "All",
    "DisallowedLocations" : "All",
    "CriticalComponent" : false,
    "statusEffects" : [

],
    "ComponentTags" : {
        "items" : [
            "component_type_stock",
            "range_extreme"
        ],
        "tagSetSourceFile" : ""
    }
}

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

am i doing this right goons

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

:yikes:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

SpookyLizard posted:

As far as Stalker names go I think that one goon's Lurms Mackenzie has this one beat

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Gonna assume they're a big M*A*S*H fan.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

SpookyLizard posted:

Do you really need to be that heat efficient?

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Ragingsheep posted:

Do you really need to be that heat efficient?

you're gonna be firing every turn once your sensor lock pilot gets in range, so....
and firing everything is usually good because it means you go from 0-100 stab in one big hit, no fucks given if they're guarded or not, so your next guy can knock em over with a stiff breeze

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
When do you start seeing double heat sinks? Do I just need to look at shops more closely?

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
I'm just saying that you could probably get rid of the two single heat sinks and up the LRM10 to a 15.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Pirate Radar posted:

When do you start seeing double heat sinks? Do I just need to look at shops more closely?

You only get like four from the story I think

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Pirate Radar posted:

you can only get them from the Star League Highlander I believe

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
That would explain it then.

cugel
Jan 22, 2010

Au revoir Jessica.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

smooth jazz posted:

Sixth step: tech tree and timeline spans hundreds of years so your PC will die of old age and you pass your heirloom mech onto your child.

Seventh step: Say "Ah, gently caress it" and combine Battletech with Stellaris.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

cugel posted:

Au revoir Jessica.

Ban this sick filth.