Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
A Hawkeye movie by Studio I.G. in the style of Jin Roh

Hnnnnng

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Beachcomber posted:

Iron Man by Gainax

You don't want anything from Gainax nowadays. The studio's been a shell of its former self for a decade now.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Waffleman_ posted:

You don't want anything from Gainax nowadays. The studio's been a shell of its former self for a decade now.

What are they even doing these days anyway? The NGE movies aside I can't think of anything they've made since Gurren Lagann.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

They're not making the Rebuild movies. That's Anno's studio, khara. The last worthwhile thing they made was Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt back in 2010.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

if you're just looking for animated anthology films/projects, anime is littered with tons of them. Robot Carnival, Neotokyo, Memories, Genius Party, Genius Party Beyond, Short Peace, Sweat Punch, Digital Juice, Amazing Nuts!, Japan Animator Expo, and the sadly inaccessible Toruru's Adventure. You also have a couple tv anime options with spinning director's chairs, like Space Dandy (mostly good) and 18if (mostly bad).

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Beachcomber posted:

Dr. Strange by the Madoka Magica people.

Not written by Urobutcher hopefully. The man only knows one type of story: Bleak poo poo where if you try to be optimistic, you will get your poo poo kicked in, everyone you love will die, and you're likely to lose your loving mind in the meantime.

aka: He writes like the kind of loving goons who thought Flynn should've died.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

The_Doctor posted:

So, uh, this actually looks ok? I laughed. Having Will Arnett be Deathstroke is going to be weird though, as he’s already Batman to my ears. Nice that Nicolas Cage finally gets to be Superman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9WhJyyTtqo

I would honestly prefer watching the Alfred movie.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
If we're talking animated anthologies, I want to say that the Diana segment of Garfield's 9 Lives still makes me, a 30 year-old woman, cry.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Das Boo posted:

If we're talking animated anthologies, I want to say that the Diana segment of Garfield's 9 Lives still makes me, a 30 year-old woman, cry.

the last time I watched it i was practically sobbing, and since then my cat has passed away, I'm sure I'd be incapable of human speech for a good hour after watching it now.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Nude posted:

Oh ya I really liked that as well. My favorite being the runner short. I would be totally down for more animated anthology/collage movies. The Prophet is interesting and one of the first time I seen a newgrounds-style collab done, like, in theaters. Here is a trailer for anyone who is a little curious, it does a good job just showing the variety of different animation styles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hF7ySPRzOaI

A version of the Prophet that edited out the framing device would be super dope, but as is the movie is merely dope

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Waffleman_ posted:

I just figured they knew robots and daddy issues.

Robindaybird posted:

Not written by Urobutcher hopefully. The man only knows one type of story: Bleak poo poo where if you try to be optimistic, you will get your poo poo kicked in, everyone you love will die, and you're likely to lose your loving mind in the meantime.

aka: He writes like the kind of loving goons who thought Flynn should've died.

Didn't Madoka end up OK? If you don't watch the movies, at least. I just thought they could make a suitably weirdass n-dimensional horror realm.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Madoka's script is okay but the thing that actually makes it remarkable are the visuals, and that's mostly down to the studio rather than Urobuchi.

The only thing that's really good because of his writing is the first season of Psycho-Pass, and I'm pretty comfortable writing that off as a fluke at this point.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Beachcomber posted:

I just figured they knew robots and daddy issues.

Didn't Madoka end up OK? If you don't watch the movies, at least. I just thought they could make a suitably weirdass n-dimensional horror realm.

Yeah, it's mainly visuals - so you'd want the studio that did Madoka, but someone else to do the writing.

His other works are of the same bleak, depressing, and actively shits on people trying to do good - Saya no Uta where your choice is get rid of the one person your viewpoint character loves or go stark-raving mad, Madoka: Rebellion ends with Homura purposely undo everything Madoka did just to keep her locked up in a cage, Fate/Zero Anime was so bleak (and made Kiritsugu the Worst Person Ever) that Fate/GO basically created an Event to actually give someone a happy ending in that mess.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Thunderbolt Fantasy was written by him and was lit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1muOeJ4fBps

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

That's mostly because the puppets were badass.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Ccs posted:

Thunderbolt Fantasy was written by him and was lit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1muOeJ4fBps

This was the dumbest poo poo and I love it.

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

Yeah, that show was pretty cool. I also started watching X-Bomber because of it.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Robindaybird posted:

Yeah, it's mainly visuals - so you'd want the studio that did Madoka, but someone else to do the writing.

Speaking of Shaft, last year "Fireworks, Should We See it from the Side or the Bottom?" made it to my local cinema. It's not bad as far as these things go. Very similar to Your Name in that it's a teen romance with time travel shenanigans, but the romance aspect is better handled, actually being somewhat realistic by anime standards since they acknowledge it's just a brief fling rather than "true love". The side characters making stupid anime boob jokes prevent me from endorsing it fully though, and it's a bit cheaper looking than Your Name (more visually interesting and creative though).

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Laika's next movie, Missing Link

Winklebottom fucked around with this message at 19:37 on May 8, 2018

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

But there's a link right in your post.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Robindaybird posted:

His other works are of the same bleak, depressing, and actively shits on people trying to do good - Saya no Uta where your choice is get rid of the one person your viewpoint character loves or go stark-raving mad, Madoka: Rebellion ends with Homura purposely undo everything Madoka did just to keep her locked up in a cage, Fate/Zero Anime was so bleak (and made Kiritsugu the Worst Person Ever) that Fate/GO basically created an Event to actually give someone a happy ending in that mess.

I mean, I didn't really like Rebellion either but I feel like you sort of missed the point. Basically Rebellion is a coda to answer the question of "wait, what, isn't Homura gonna still be all hosed up over the situation since she still remembers everything" and the answer is "YES SHE ABSOLUTELY IS, WHAT THE CHRIST WERE YOU EXPECTING."

Also, uh, trap sprung by pointing out that you've played Saya no Uta. that's not really a game you should talk about on SA.

e: also wait, what, how the gently caress do you figure that the Fate/zero anime made Kiri the worst person ever :psyboom: like, I can't even argue against that yet because I have no clue where in God's name you're coming from on it

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 20:48 on May 8, 2018

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Saya no Pico

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
I'M ALIVE

I'M ALIIIIIiiiiiiive

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Also, uh, trap sprung by pointing out that you've played Saya no Uta. that's not really a game you should talk about on SA.

... what? you can talk about basically anything on SA, and Saya isn't exactly the most horrifically taboo thing out there

I mean this isn't the most appropriate thread for it but the horror games thread would eat that poo poo up, I'm sure

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

You can't really discuss the guy without mentioning the thing that he's pretty much most well-known for.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

SatansBestBuddy posted:

... what? you can talk about basically anything on SA, and Saya isn't exactly the most horrifically taboo thing out there

I mean this isn't the most appropriate thread for it but the horror games thread would eat that poo poo up, I'm sure

y'know, except for the whole part where Saya is basically drawn as a 12-year-old girl and there's a lot of sex scenes involving her.

like, this isn't really a me thing, I'm familiar with SnU and I get that it's supposed to be gross and unsettling and make you feel like you need a shower, but uh, not a great look

e: i'm going to laugh my rear end off if it turns out you haven't played it in years and legit forgot about that :v:

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 06:10 on May 9, 2018

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Your posts about it are weirder than the dude casually mentioning it in a conversation about Urobuchi's works.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

dogsicle posted:

Your posts about it are weirder than the dude casually mentioning it in a conversation about Urobuchi's works.

Gal, and frankly my issue with Urobochi is he's so unrelentlessly bleak, it's all he does, and seems to actively tear down characters that actually try to improve themselves and others.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Robindaybird posted:

You can't really discuss the guy without mentioning the thing that he's pretty much most well-known for.

I actually completely forgot that was him. :v:

Robindaybird posted:

Gal, and frankly my issue with Urobochi is he's so unrelentlessly bleak, it's all he does, and seems to actively tear down characters that actually try to improve themselves and others.

I don't mind so much if only because I can get feel good stories of triumph elsewhere, and he's good at what he does so I never really end one of his stories feeling unfulfilled.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
I saw Wrinkles. It was amazing. It’s not for the faint of heart though.

I’ve been on a project of using DVD Netflix to see all the indie and foreign animated films I can. So far it’s been like eating a home-cooked meal after years of nothing but Subway. American commercial animation is...pretty bad. Even when it’s good it’s bad. It’s really depressing that the culture of animation in America is permanently infantilized, and I say this as a person who loves kids’/family movies.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Neon Noodle posted:

I’ve been on a project of using DVD Netflix to see all the indie and foreign animated films I can. So far it’s been like eating a home-cooked meal after years of nothing but Subway. American commercial animation is...pretty bad. Even when it’s good it’s bad. It’s really depressing that the culture of animation in America is permanently infantilized, and I say this as a person who loves kids’/family movies.

Wrinkles really got me when I first saw it, especially the ending that was a tough watch. Have you gotten into watching short films? There is a breadth of refreshingly really good films there. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be an easy way to get a dvd of them. The way I do it is just go through the Oscar Nominated Animation Short list and search for them, 9 times out of 10 the author has posted it online. Although admittedly that might be too tedious.

Nude fucked around with this message at 13:44 on May 9, 2018

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Today's film is The Painting (2011).

Edit: It's really cool. It reminds me a little bit of Twice Upon a Time in its art direction. It's 2.5D but highly effective at presenting a fully painted world. The story is good and has neat religious overtones. It's a little corny in places but so much of it is interesting and good that it's worth a watch.

Neon Noodle fucked around with this message at 16:14 on May 9, 2018

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Neon Noodle posted:

I don't really know why semi-serious adult animation just refuses to take off here. I mean, for gently caress's sake, we had a whole anime boom for a solid decade-and-a-half, and it's coming back around for a second go nowadays after a few years of nobody giving a poo poo. Sausage Party literally made almost 10x its budget despite being a huge pile of poo poo. and yet it's like everyone just really, really hates the idea of making money and refuses to capitalize on any of this.

e: I kind of feel like Netflix is trying to backdoor it in with some of their anime selection- between Devilman Crybaby, BLAME and Violet Evergarden they've been funding a pretty decent amount of artsy stuff. I'm not entirely sure if that's gonna change the problem I'm seeing, though, because it seems like everyone kind of actively refuses to engage with Devilman on a serious level, and the other two are obscure.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

e: I kind of feel like Netflix is trying to backdoor it in with some of their anime selection- between Devilman Crybaby, BLAME and Violet Evergarden they've been funding a pretty decent amount of artsy stuff. I'm not entirely sure if that's gonna change the problem I'm seeing, though, because it seems like everyone kind of actively refuses to engage with Devilman on a serious level, and the other two are obscure.
Also Castlevania.

Otherwise, most of the "adult animation" I've seen come out of North America is basically comedy, so... yeah, not a whole lot of super-serious stuff.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I don't really know why semi-serious adult animation just refuses to take off here.
The American market is overcrowded with children's animation. Some of the results of this are:

- all animation is perceived as being "for children"
- there aren't very many adults who are interested in animation in the first place
- what few adult "animation fans" there are, are mostly fans of animation for children

It kind of makes me think about "literary fiction," which is what they call highbrow novels written for adults now. The number of people who read literary fiction is vanishingly small in the market sense, and the cost to produce them is much lower than for animated films. Now imagine the animated film equivalent and it's no surprise that nobody will want to fund that kind of thing, no theatres will want to run it, and almost nobody will want to see it. Winning awards is nice and everything, but animation awards are a ghetto and they don't really affect ticket sales.

It goes beyond animation into the systemic problem of American film culture. It's really hard to get medium-budget films funded now. It's either blockbuster Disney-owned IP "cinematic universes", or television/streaming. Television has certainly gotten great! But the economics of TV animation are obviously different from feature-length animation.

Independent films seem to be doing relatively well via paid VOD and streaming deals (along with the old reliable arthouse and festival circuits), and I'd guess that that's because the production platform costs have dropped to almost zero. Digital video, NLE software, AfterEffects, etc. mean it's possible for a small band of people to bootstrap something feature-length of very high quality. That still isn't possible for animation.

I feel weird describing myself as a "fan of animation" because it's like saying you're a "fan of music". On some level anyone can appreciate the technical skill that goes into a commercial production, but I'm less and less interested in technical skill. It's like Top 40 vs. punk or indie or acoustic folk. Labels throw zillions into producing hits, and some charting artists are clearly good! Some hit songs are great! But if I want to actually feel something, that's not what I listen to.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
stuff for adults does get made, though and when it does manage to crack the mainstream temporarily, it loving prints money. and yet, for some reason, it never becomes a trend. nobody looks at Ninja Scroll and Ghost in the Shell basically singlehandedly keeping Manga Entertainment in business and Castlevania doing crazy well on Netflix, and goes "hmm, maybe there's an audience for animated action stuff." nobody looks at Sausage Party managing to make its budget back almost tenfold and Rick and Morty having a crazy huge rabid fanbase and goes "hmm, maybe there's an audience for adult comedy in animation." it's like they actively ignore it when these things do well.

literary fiction would only be comparable if there was a massive horde of starved intellectuals coming out of the woodwork whenever a publisher puts a literary fiction novel out.

e: like, loving christ, Sausage Party alone should have honestly changed this. it was a very bad movie, but it also literally made ten times its budget solely off the novelty of it being R-rated. you'd think some of the animation studios would be looking at this, imagining the results of making an R-rated animated movie that's actually good and high-effort, and seeing massive loving dollar signs.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 19:45 on May 10, 2018

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Hahaha jfc people claiming Aggretsuko isn’t basically “women’s issues: the show” if u are the same guys who said Your Name was any less than an insipid wad I’m gonna loving lol myself to death

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

Pick posted:

Hahaha jfc people claiming Aggretsuko isn’t basically “women’s issues: the show” if u are the same guys who said Your Name was any less than an insipid wad I’m gonna loving lol myself to death

I'm usually pretty good at Pickish but I have no idea what this means. Who was it wasn't about women?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Aggretsuko, like many cartoons about animal-people in a normal setting, is insufficiently marxist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

stuff for adults does get made, though and when it does manage to crack the mainstream temporarily, it loving prints money. and yet, for some reason, it never becomes a trend. nobody looks at Ninja Scroll and Ghost in the Shell basically singlehandedly keeping Manga Entertainment in business and Castlevania doing crazy well on Netflix, and goes "hmm, maybe there's an audience for animated action stuff." nobody looks at Sausage Party managing to make its budget back almost tenfold and Rick and Morty having a crazy huge rabid fanbase and goes "hmm, maybe there's an audience for adult comedy in animation." it's like they actively ignore it when these things do well.

literary fiction would only be comparable if there was a massive horde of starved intellectuals coming out of the woodwork whenever a publisher puts a literary fiction novel out.

e: like, loving christ, Sausage Party alone should have honestly changed this. it was a very bad movie, but it also literally made ten times its budget solely off the novelty of it being R-rated. you'd think some of the animation studios would be looking at this, imagining the results of making an R-rated animated movie that's actually good and high-effort, and seeing massive loving dollar signs.

You left out The Simpson’s (surprisingly still as popular as ever), all of Adult Swim and the fact that kids shows get a ton of adult followers by just winking at the adult demographic from time to time. Grown ups like them some cartoons.