Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

cugel posted:

Au revoir Jessica.

what the fcuk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

mooooods

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

cugel posted:

Au revoir Jessica.
I'm not sure I even want to know, but which Kickstarter mechwarrior did she make room for?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Wizard Styles posted:

I'm not sure I even want to know, but which Kickstarter mechwarrior did she make room for?

The one with a weird past about a girl he's obsessed with.

EDIT: One of the ones....

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The only mechwarrior I've fired is Homunculus and that's only because low spirits bugged out on him and there's no room for moviesads on my spaceship.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Anyone else had an issue with vehicles having more armour and firepower than a Mech in 1.5 skull missions?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Hahah, turns out when you sell off three hundred heat sinks at once they start to add up

hello 5 million achievement

edit:

I think i prefer the Atlas to the King Crab just because it keeps its weapons in the torso.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Hello beautiful!

Finished the final mission with my King Crab and collection of 3 different highlanders(There can be only one ... letter difference in designations). Fun game, can't wait for whatever they put out next.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Cynic Jester posted:

Hello beautiful!

Finished the final mission with my King Crab and collection of 3 different highlanders(There can be only one ... letter difference in designations). Fun game, can't wait for whatever they put out next.

Is that Atlas a story mech or can you find that variant randomly in game?

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

It's a story reward.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

raverrn posted:

It's a story reward.

Know which one? I need something that can carry a gauss rifle and at least 50 LRMs.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Ragingsheep posted:

Know which one? I need something that can carry a gauss rifle and at least 50 LRMs.

The last one.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Anyone mind sharing some Orion builds? I'm struggling to fit mine out, I think I've gone for an AC20 and some LRMs for now and it sits hiding at the back sniping people being an obnoxious shitbag, but it feels like a waste of its armour.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Flipswitch posted:

Anyone mind sharing some Orion builds? I'm struggling to fit mine out, I think I've gone for an AC20 and some LRMs for now and it sits hiding at the back sniping people being an obnoxious shitbag, but it feels like a waste of its armour.

AC 20 and srm 6's in the torso, up armor everything but the arms which are disposable, heat sinks and jjs to taste. You won't get a better brawler till the atlas or king crab.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

AC 20 and srm 6's in the torso, up armor everything but the arms which are disposable, heat sinks and jjs to taste. You won't get a better brawler till the atlas or king crab.

Cheers bud, will give that a go! I always feel the need to fill every weapon slot and sometimes end up under-gunning my mechs, I need to break that habit.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Flipswitch posted:

waste of its armour.

mate it has p low armor what are you talking about?

Orions are perfect Dekker-Boats because they act with the enemy mediums while surviving contact with enemy assaults

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Goa Tse-tung posted:

mate it has p low armor what are you talking about?

Orions are perfect Dekker-Boats because they act with the enemy mediums while surviving contact with enemy assaults

I thought it had decent armour? I didn't look at the numbers though!

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Flipswitch posted:

Looks like a huge waste to combine AC20 and LRM, refit to have AC20 with as many SRMs, med lasers, and armor as you can and charge into the thick of battle, that's what orions are best at.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jedit posted:

Anyone else had an issue with vehicles having more armour and firepower than a Mech in 1.5 skull missions?

Stomp on them.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

40 Proof Listerine posted:

Any tips on juggling multiple lances in a Battle procgen mid-game when your average drop weight is ~200 tons?

I have the worst luck with stumbling into the reinforcements at the same time as the main lance and when there's no cover. Bulwark's nice, but when there's a Shreck, Thunderbolt, Quickdraw, and Cicada in the main lance, and a fully armored Hunchback, 2 Trebuchets, and a Centurion-AL in the reinforcements, that's a lot of incoming heat.

My advice: Run 2 LRM boats, 2 brawlers. Everybody should have stability damage. Move forward until you see the first red contact, then immediately halt and brace or start to reserve your units. When the first guy walks into visual range, everyone who's been reserving just unloads on him. Use your called shots to core the CT's out of med/lights with your brawlers, or use with your missile boats to open up legs/st's for pilot damage if you need to capture a heavy.

This usually kills 1 mech/turn, increasing as you add more AC20's to your brawl group. It is almost never the case that more than one or two mechs will show up in visual range per turn, in my experience. Yes you'll end up taking some long range LRM fire while one enemy mech spots for the others, but as soon as he's dead everyone is going to be shuffling forward to your guns again. In the nightmare scenario you describe up above, where all 4 of the original lance and all 4 of the reinforcements are squaring off with you at the same time, my advice would be to turn and run. Use JJ's or sprinting to open as much ground as possible and break line of sight, so they begin to shuffle forward and string out. Alternately if they're strung out in a big long line, run towards one end of it so you can engage that side while denying fire from the other. Failing that, withdraw- you will not come out well in a shootout if all you do is stand still and trade with twice your weight. That's the AI's strategy.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Pyromancer posted:

Looks like a huge waste to combine AC20 and LRM, refit to have AC20 with as many SRMs, med lasers, and armor as you can and charge into the thick of battle, that's what orions are best at.
Cheers bud. Will give that a go. :)

cugel
Jan 22, 2010

Wizard Styles posted:

All of them! She was the last to be fired. She doesn't have to share my overcrowded barrack full of KS weirdos. (One of those share her voice set.) I'd fire my character if I could.

She is rich, alive and away from the O.D. Bastards; I call that a happy ending. :colbert:

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Flipswitch posted:

I thought it had decent armour? I didn't look at the numbers though!

compared to highlanders and king crabs yeah :p

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Ulio posted:

Interested in getting this. Is there a lot of replay value in this? Or is it play the campaign once type of thing? And is there any online modes?

I can't speak for anyone else but my two playthroughs were radically different in difficulty due to the kind of mechs I got as salvage.

cugel
Jan 22, 2010

Dekker was dismissed for the douchiest guy available.

On the same day Glitch was sent away, Ronin is so very special I can't screenshot her backstory.

Bonus:

Spenthia has the same voice as Glitch.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Flipswitch posted:

I use the AC-20, three MLs, and then fill up armor, jump jets, and heat sinks. Works great since the AC-20 basically does all the work while the medium lasers let me do precision work. I really should start putting more emphasis on finding accuracy/critical hit ones. Two Orions and two LRM boats works really well for me. The approach is pretty simple:

1. Hit enemy with two LRM shots, knocking them down and injuring pilot.
2. Blow off side torso to get pilot injury.
3. Repeat.

Two turns and the target is incapacitated.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Psion posted:

The AI has a lot of things turned off - it could be a lot meaner, but I bet you wouldn't like getting one-turn alphaed in return! I know I wouldn't :v:

I would. Might give us a reason to actually have hireable mechwarriors and 18 mech bays.

Point me to where the fun and engaging settings are.

Are there mods to up the enemy numbers in missions?

cugel
Jan 22, 2010

Flipswitch posted:

Dekker's ride, he was my first 10/10/10/10 mechwarrior (scout).

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

cugel posted:

Dekker was dismissed for the douchiest guy available.

On the same day Glitch was sent away, Ronin is so very special I can't screenshot her backstory.

Bonus:

Yeah, I'm a big fan of Spenthia.

There was one NPC I only saw once, something like "Showgirl" or something, who had this whole backstory about Mech Dancing competitions or something. Wish I could find her again.

cugel
Jan 22, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, I'm a big fan of Spenthia.

There was one NPC I only saw once, something like "Showgirl" or something, who had this whole backstory about Mech Dancing competitions or something. Wish I could find her again.

That sounds amazing.

I'm at full capacity now, 19 men and 4 women, I know there are 57 backers from the .json. I missed only one of them at the beginning. Some of them are boring, they will have to go if I find someone more interesting.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

feedmegin posted:

Stomp on them.

Tried it, bounced off without even exposing structure. I really am not kidding when I say these things are tougher than Mechs. One of them ate 25 LRM hits and kept going.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Flipswitch posted:

AC/20, 2SRM6, 2MLas. I keep it up front along with an assault. It runs a little hot and I should probably drop the lasers for more heat sinks, but it will kill a Thunderbolt in one called shot, and knock down most other things if paired with a lrmboat. It tends to draw a lot of fire, being the lightest thing on my team in late game, but it's extremely tough and by the time its armor is gone we're usually hunting the last couple of mechs down.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Jedit posted:

Tried it, bounced off without even exposing structure. I really am not kidding when I say these things are tougher than Mechs. One of them ate 25 LRM hits and kept going.

Stomp harder.

Is it just me, or is Outrider (Pilot major, Guts minor) a very redundant combo? If an ace pilot shoots without moving, then they can brace, which gives the same bonus as the Guts minor plus some with no stacking if my understanding is correct, or move behind something and probably not get shot at in the first place.

I know, the optimal combo is Gunnery major Guts minor, but I like being able to scoot after shooting.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Stomp harder.

Is it just me, or is Outrider (Pilot major, Guts minor) a very redundant combo? If an ace pilot shoots without moving, then they can brace, which gives the same bonus as the Guts minor plus some with no stacking if my understanding is correct, or move behind something and probably not get shot at in the first place.

I know, the optimal combo is Gunnery major Guts minor, but I like being able to scoot after shooting.

I think it depends on your approach. Personally I really like Guts Minor Tactical Major, since the majority of damage seems to be from called shots and getting ahead of your opponent before knocking them down is pretty powerful. Especially when you can combine it with reserves to go twice before they do.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

cugel posted:

Bonus:

What is going on with that portrait angle. It's like a super crappy Tinder profile pic.

Sarsapariller posted:

AC/20, 2SRM6, 2MLas. I keep it up front along with an assault. It runs a little hot and I should probably drop the lasers for more heat sinks, but it will kill a Thunderbolt in one called shot, and knock down most other things if paired with a lrmboat. It tends to draw a lot of fire, being the lightest thing on my team in late game, but it's extremely tough and by the time its armor is gone we're usually hunting the last couple of mechs down.
Do you run jumpjets with it at all? Though with that many weapons, I'd assume not as the weight starts stacking. I'll give it a go tonight. Thanks for the Orion replies all!

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
The stars aligned and a tiny little NPC allied tank got a called headshot on a Battlemaster, so now I own a brand new 85-tonner I absolutely don't deserve to have. I'm mainly gonna use it as is I think. Speaking of heavies though what's the next step up from a Trebuchet for LRMs? The Catapult?

Also I've gotten into the lore (or at least the wiki) and errrr give it to me straight guys, were the original battletech tabletop developers real big weebs? Because some of this stuff seems to swing wildly between Honourable Perfect Orient and Devilish Yellow Peril. Sometimes in the same paragraph.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

cugel posted:

Dekker's ride, he was my first 10/10/10/10 mechwarrior (scout).

This is my Dekker chariot (also a scout):

Still finding better +dmg lasers but sitting at 370 alpha, which is plenty to buttshot or even frontal CT core most anything.

But really, the best part is the +3 hit def gyro. With 1200 armor and a scout/ace pilot pulling 5 evasion pips off of jumps every round, this thing ends up doing more tanking work while taking less damage than my fat king crab on most missions.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I've just noticed you don't ever seem to find MG+s.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
Lurms Mechkenzie was probably the best one I've seen so far. Best I could come up with for my LRM mech was HARD NOVOROSSIA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlCzP3cwIYk

:v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Major Tactics is probably the best ability in the game and by a huge margin. Not only is it better as you level, because called shot mastery is the single biggest increase in your ability to core you can get from any source, but once you start trucking around with 4x Heavies or Assault, being able to shed stability damage without using an action is huge. If I was redoing my run, I'd have Master Tactician on all my pilots, and Minor Gunnery on LRM pilots and Bulwark on frontliners. As you hit mid to late game, relying on evasion for damage mitigation is silly. And Bulwark has the advantage of protecting you against having your head shot out by a lucky AC20 hit. And this doesn't even get into how huge +1 initiative is at all weights.