Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Retro Futurist posted:

Thanos is just arrogant and bullheaded. He has a plan to save the universe and he's going to to go through with it regardless of anything, and listening to anyone else's would be weakness.
He's a foil for Stark that's what works
Yeah I think this is also why Thanos has those positive words for Tony after they fight on Titan. He sees himself in Tony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

duck trucker posted:

Thanos' thinking is the same thinking hunters use. It's a very good motivation for a villian and way better for the moves than wanting to bone the concept of death.

"If we don't kill deer every year they're will be too many and they'll eat all the grass and all die."

His motivation was fine when he was culling planets with his space army. A brutal but practical way for a sociopath to do things

The first issue however is that he gets a magic glove that can fulfill any wish, ever, and he still does the same thing as before . The second issue is that in the movie he isn't portrayed as a 'mad titan' he is portrayed as a calm and calculating character who regrets that he has to kill to achieve his goals. Yet he kills half the universe because... what, he's too dumb? Because he doesn't have any imagination?

I loved Thanos but some things like that raised an eyebrow from me. Sure you can rationalize his actions in many ways but none of them are satisfying to me with the current plot and character motivation. Just imo

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Because he doesn't want to rule. And he doesn't want infinite power.

He wants to watch the sunset.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

He could have literally magicked the negative concepts of overpopulation away or any of the other hundred things people have come up with in threads like this. I guess he chose the most basic solution because he is lazy

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Fartbox posted:

The second issue is that in the movie he isn't portrayed as a 'mad titan' he is portrayed as a calm and calculating character who regrets that he has to kill to achieve his goals.

Your definition of “mad” seems very limited.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Fartbox posted:

He could have literally magicked the negative concepts of overpopulation away or any of the other hundred things people have come up with in threads like this. I guess he chose the most basic solution because he is lazy

Thanos snaps his fingers and makes the universe slightly bigger. Then he shrugs and walks off as the Avengers notice they have an extra three feet of personal space now.

[SMASH CUT TO CREDITS]

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/FortniteGame/status/993490649864396800?s=19

The two biggest things are colliding!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
fortnite is just one of those games where you run around and shoot other players forever right?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's no respawning so not really.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Soonmot posted:

fortnite is just one of those games where you run around and shoot other players forever right?

You also build huts and then die anyways.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Fartbox posted:

The first issue however is that he gets a magic glove that can fulfill any wish, ever, and he still does the same thing as before . The second issue is that in the movie he isn't portrayed as a 'mad titan' he is portrayed as a calm and calculating character who regrets that he has to kill to achieve his goals. Yet he kills half the universe because... what, he's too dumb? Because he doesn't have any imagination?

Keep in mind that even before he had the glove, he was a dedicated psychopath who routinely tortured both his "daughters," slaughtered millions, and destroyed whole planets. Gamora was genuinely surprised to find out that he loved her, and then he threw her off a cliff anyway. The impression you're meant to come away with from all of that was that maybe he was a little bent when he started, since he proposed the "let's kill half our population" plan on Titan in the first place, but whatever happened to wreck Titan has made him maniacally focused on that as the solution to everyone's problems everywhere. When he's talking to Strange before the big fight scene, he still gives the impression that he doesn't get why anyone would object to the plan at all.

So no, he doesn't have any real imagination on the subject. He's dangerously obsessed with what was, before then, an unattainable goal, and by the time he can accomplish it, he's sacrificed what little was left in the universe that gave his own life meaning and--perhaps most crucially--he's about ten seconds from Thor splitting him in half like a wishbone at Thanksgiving. Thanos isn't just "the Mad Titan" at that point; he's psychotic, obsessed, grieving, has lost just about all his followers, and has Stormbreaker instead of lungs. Of course he doesn't make a perfectly rational decision.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

duck trucker posted:

Thanos' thinking is the same thinking hunters use. It's a very good motivation for a villian and way better for the moves than wanting to bone the concept of death.

"If we don't kill deer every year they're will be too many and they'll eat all the grass and all die."

The deer thing is correct though. Their natural predators aren't around anymore in enough numbers and deer gently caress up the ecosystem

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

Fartbox posted:

His motivation was fine when he was culling planets with his space army. A brutal but practical way for a sociopath to do things

Yeah he doesn't. He sees a problem and has a solution for it. Maybe there's another solution but he thinks his solution is still correct so he doesn't consider it.

Considering we live in a world where the current administration has men in it who's only solution to troubles is to try to start a war I don't see how Thanos character is such a difficult thing to comprehend

Edit:

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

The deer thing is correct though. Their natural predators aren't around anymore in enough numbers and deer gently caress up the ecosystem

Yeah I'm not saying that hunters are wrong. Just that's a much better motivation for the movies then wanting to moterboat death

duck trucker fucked around with this message at 18:34 on May 7, 2018

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Teenage Fansub posted:

Just saw Wind River. Highly recommended extra-curricular Avengers work.

edit: Looking up Elizabeth Olsen, she was previously in a Hank Williams biopic with Tom Hiddleston.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6H0cA-YxRwM

Just how many non-MCU movies have multiple MCU people in them?

I can think of this winner with Evans and Johansson.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUHzFQFHOUM

ee:
Jon Favreau's Jungle Book's got Black Widow, Nakia, Heimdall and Happy, of course.

eee: Zodiac's got Hulk and Iron Man.

There are probably a thousand things, come to think of it.

Go check out IMDb. Seems like every goddamn movie has trivia about what superheroes the people in the movie play

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

You also build huts and then die anyways.
Literal children love it, so you get called lots of epithets, too.

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole
I made this for a discord server I go to because they kept trying to over analyze Thanos' plan

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
If Joss Whedon’s dad wrote Avengers Infinity War:

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
What is even happening in these panels?

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

Sgt. Politeness posted:

What is even happening in these panels?

Then Thanos gets arrested by cops

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Fartbox posted:

Then Thanos gets arrested by cops
Cheese and Crackers!

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
I see now. Comics...were a mistake.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sgt. Politeness posted:

I see now. Comics...were a mistake.

Why would a good thing bring you to that conclusion!?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The best part of that comic is that Thanos gets the Cosmic Cube, and instead of using it to instantly teleport anywhere he wants, uses it to create a helicopter called "The Thanos-Copter" that he flies around in.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The best part of that comic is that Thanos gets the Cosmic Cube, and instead of using it to instantly teleport anywhere he wants, uses it to create a helicopter called "The Thanos-Copter" that he flies around in.

No, he had the Thanoscopter before that, according to the Deadpool issue that brings it into continuity. Apparently, Deadpool was the one who got the Cube for him.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Gavok posted:

No, he had the Thanoscopter before that, according to the Deadpool issue that brings it into continuity. Apparently, Deadpool was the one who got the Cube for him.

My new favorite thing is that Deadpool fans are going around and inserting Deadpool's comedic retcons into various comic wikis as if they were definitive fact and not retcons: ie, the Marvel Wiki now lists Deadpool as the first wearer of the black Spider-man symbiote suit.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

My new favorite thing is that Deadpool fans are going around and inserting Deadpool's comedic retcons into various comic wikis as if they were definitive fact and not retcons: ie, the Marvel Wiki now lists Deadpool as the first wearer of the black Spider-man symbiote suit.

That poo poo has been going on for ages and it was annoying as gently caress to listen to those idiots argue about it when I worked.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Thanos's goal is not to save the universe, it's to prove himself right. He's already probably killed billions of people extending his original 'solution' to countless other planets. He's not going to pursue a course of action that acknowledges another solution exists, especially since even the existence of an alternative would require he acknowledge that everything he has done his entire life was a mistake.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Fangz posted:

Thanos's goal is not to save the universe, it's to prove himself right. He's already probably killed billions of people extending his original 'solution' to countless other planets. He's not going to pursue a course of action that acknowledges another solution exists, especially since even the existence of an alternative would require he acknowledge that everything he has done his entire life was a mistake.

It's almost as if the movie is trying to draw some sort of parallel between him and Tony Stark both trying to overcome past trauma using an egotistical pursuit of single-minded solutions to complex problems.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

To be fair, Cullen Bunn has been very adamant about that symbiote retcon. He's referenced it in at least three different minis he's worked on since. It's his version of Brian Reed's obsession with making the Peter Parker/Carol Danvers relationship happen.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Those were all published before Secret Wars right? So in the newly made universe I guess we can say they count?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Rhyno posted:

Those were all published before Secret Wars right? So in the newly made universe I guess we can say they count?

The original retcon was released during Secret Wars. The idea was that Deadpool was involved in the original Secret Wars, where he tried on the symbiote moments before Spider-Man and presumably caused it mental damage by accident. In the end, Wasp caused everyone to forget that Deadpool was involved.

After the fact, Bunn did a follow-up miniseries about the symbiote going back to Deadpool in-between Parker and Brock having it. In Deadpool Kills the Marvel Universe Again (which is supposed to be in Old Man Logan continuity), he spares the symbiote because "We used to be friends." Then in Edge of Venomverse, one universe's Deadpool gets the symbiote and it's treated like reunited lovers.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

Well poo poo, it's definitely canon now

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

According to Joe Russo, that scene at the very end of IW where Thanos is suddenly in an orange aura and has a vision of a younger Gamora takes place inside the Soul Stone, and also that (likely Avengers 4 spoilers) Gamora is still alive in the Soul Stone, and potentially anyone else who turned into dust

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/05/07/avengers-infinity-war-co-director-confirms-soul-stone-theory

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
hah called it

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Thanos is just traumatized because he "saw it coming" before with Titan and everybody thought he was a monster, so he didn't do anything.

He did it to Gamora's home planet and it worked, so he's convinced that this time he can't let anyone talk him down or stop him from doing the greater good because he has brokebrains/martyr complex.

His plan makes logical sense from his history. He is just reliving his past battle and doesn't have the advantage of 60+ years of comic lore that the audience has.

Ding ding, it's this. If you find yourself thinking "gosh darn it, Thanos' plan doesn't make rational sense from a purely objective standpoint" then boy howdy let me introduce you to the concept of viewing things through an emotional lens and past trauma! It's the new craze among actual human beings

You gat dang robot. I'm gonna rip out the deuterium rods that power your iron frame, pose as a human being no more.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Based on what looked like damage to the Gauntlet at the end, it's not clear that Thanos could wish for absolutely anything or be able to make multiple changes to the whole universe. Like Earth Dragonballs. The Stones themselves may theoretically be able to do anything but with an imperfect Gauntlet (or other method) or a lowly being controlling them you might be limited in what you can do.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lobok posted:

Based on what looked like damage to the Gauntlet at the end, it's not clear that Thanos could wish for absolutely anything or be able to make multiple changes to the whole universe. Like Earth Dragonballs. The Stones themselves may theoretically be able to do anything but with an imperfect Gauntlet (or other method) or a lowly being controlling them you might be limited in what you can do.

Captain America is no "lowly being."

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lobok posted:

He could just....make another Gauntlet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

He could just....make another Gauntlet

Could he? He didn't make the first one and after it was complete he destroyed the maker's hands.

• Locked thread