Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

We all live on a Giallo submarine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Krankenstyle posted:

almost same. i hope they convict him and then after 50 years release him, and hes infirm and he has a heart attack just when he realizes hes free but before he is free.

see? thats how you do it, all you torture weirdos.

Gotta mention, even in the theoretical event of his release, Madsen will only be "free" in a certain sense. Even if released Madsen would be under heavy surveillance and supervision for the rest of his life. Due to no life penalty (or the practice around the life penalty in Denmark) there's a few people out and about in society that have been convicted of similar crimes as Madsen. They are all under regular surveillance and have other restrictions imposed meant to protect the public. Sometimes they have their identities changed and moved to a secret location where they live in state housing because if people found out who they were they'd likely face some vigilantism. It's a life sentence of a different sort, I suppose. Not technically punishment, but not a great life.

Madsen's in a special club. There are only 12 lifers in Herstedvester and Madsen will be lucky number 13. You don't come back from that and get even the resemblance of a normal life.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Nice piece of fish posted:

Gotta mention, even in the theoretical event of his release, Madsen will only be "free" in a certain sense. Even if released Madsen would be under heavy surveillance and supervision for the rest of his life. Due to no life penalty (or the practice around the life penalty in Denmark) there's a few people out and about in society that have been convicted of similar crimes as Madsen. They are all under regular surveillance and have other restrictions imposed meant to protect the public. Sometimes they have their identities changed and moved to a secret location where they live in state housing because if people found out who they were they'd likely face some vigilantism. It's a life sentence of a different sort, I suppose. Not technically punishment, but not a great life.

Madsen's in a special club. There are only 12 lifers in Herstedvester and Madsen will be lucky number 13. You don't come back from that and get even the resemblance of a normal life.

When is the sentencing?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

may 25 iirc

i mean the appeal deadline. the sentencing has already been done

e: oh he already did that. i dont think theres a trial date for the higher court yet

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 10:58 on May 2, 2018

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Bob NewSCART posted:

When is the sentencing?

What? He's already been convicted in the lower courts, sentenced to life in prison by unanimous vote, and has appealed to high court. He's technically so far without a sentence until the court is all done with him, but realistically he's still looking at life in prison.

Or did you mean when's the appeal hearing? Don't know, but unlikely to be before summer. Probably late august/september at the earliest.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

no he means the goon verdict

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
Lol @ how everyone in this thread was sucking his dick until the deep-sea sex murder reveal

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i shouldnt, but lol @ beef turret for their illiteracy

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

Beef Turret posted:

Lol @ how everyone in this thread was sucking his dick until the deep-sea sex murder reveal

Literally on the second page posted:

lol he absolutely raped and killed her

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I mean, there was definitely some serious dick sucking before we found out that they found him scuttling a sub sans wall.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

FoolyCharged posted:

I mean, there was definitely some serious dick sucking before we found out that they found him scuttling a sub sans wall.

I don't think this counts as dick sucking:

KomodoWagon posted:

Wow, a rich guy has expensive toys? What a shocker. What an inspiration. I want to sick his duck.

Kim Wall missing was mentioned on the first page and no one believed his story of conveniently letting her out a few hours before.

Lurking Haro fucked around with this message at 13:44 on May 3, 2018

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

He's technically so far without a sentence until the court is all done with him, but realistically he's still looking at life in prison.earliest.

Why cant you just speak english. Simple yes no question: are we allowed to still suck his dick or not, and if you don't know can we please speak to your supervisor.

Anyway, this tell-all book was published within the last few days, by Steen Lorck the retired Danish naval officer who piloted Nautilus on several occasions. It's full of nerdy technical details about the soon-to-be-reduced-into-granule-sized-scrap submarine if anyone cares. It's full of stolen photos reprinted without permission so I'ma sue his rear end.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

frumpykvetchbot posted:

Why cant you just speak english. Simple yes no question: are we allowed to still suck his dick or not, and if you don't know can we please speak to your supervisor.

Anyway, this tell-all book was published within the last few days, by Steen Lorck the retired Danish naval officer who piloted Nautilus on several occasions. It's full of nerdy technical details about the soon-to-be-reduced-into-granule-sized-scrap submarine if anyone cares. It's full of stolen photos reprinted without permission so I'ma sue his rear end.

I don't know I thought you were my supervisor? Who is even flying this plane?!?

Spoiler alert, I just rewatched Das Boot and I'll just consider that a documentary of this case, excruciatingly long, full of incomprehensible gibberish and a tragic ending that while somehow expected, was still painful in its own right. Also submarines.

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

FoolyCharged posted:

There really wasn't, read the first page. There was one person who said something along the lines of having a man crush on Madsen, and it was the last comment like that, the rest is speculation about his finances and the missing Swedish woman who had been on the sub.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Huh, I could have sworn there was a guy slobbering all over him as a great scientist real early. Guess my memory is garbage.

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

FoolyCharged posted:

Huh, I could have sworn there was a guy slobbering all over him as a great scientist real early. Guess my memory is garbage.

You're probably thinking of the thread about the making of the submarine, which was made years ago. The goon involved in the construction defended the project itself and many of the other people involved, but not Madsen or any of his Nazi sex party friends.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

The district attorney just announced that Butcher Pete only appeals the length of the sentence, not the matter of guilt.

The argony finally got to him it seems.

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

some sort of irredeemable trash person
Goddamn, lol. This is the birth of confession-madsen.

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Lima posted:

The district attorney just announced that Butcher Pete only appeals the length of the sentence, not the matter of guilt.

lmao even his lawyer must have gotten sick of his bullshit

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Lima posted:

Ha! Yeah, I guess that puts the issue of the accuracy of the court's findings to rest. I don't know if Denmark practices oral arguments when contesting sentencing alone, Retsplejeloven § 917 would suggest that a more or less regular hearing will be held, though I don't know about the avenue for introduction of new evidence and such, that doesn't seem like it would be possible. Since the matter of sentencing is usually a purely legal matter of presedence and the facts of the case, I wouldn't expect oral arguments to be very interesting. For that matter I don't see why they don't just submit it to written review, as I sincerely doubt Madsen is going to sway judges any by his appearance.

Anyway, piss poor showing from Madsen and the defence counsel. The lower court verdict is crushing, he (almost) literally couldn't have had a worse outcome. He's portrayed as a calculating monster, and high court is going to be against him at the outset on this. Madsen should have appealed outright (from the perspective of effort -> result) because he arguably has a better change of reducing the sentence if he also didn't admit that the lower court findings were accurate. As it stands, his best legal argument is actually a reduction in his sentence, as it is somewhat unusual to sentence someone to life for a single murder. Thing is, it's also not unheard of, and given what the court's findings of facts and evidence look like I would have tried a full appeal. Giving up the full appeal means the lower court's findings is what goes, so that's how it's going to go down in the history books.

I get going the legalese high road to try and pick up some points any maybe avoid life, but I don't think it's going to work.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i feel if you were going to admit guilt to try and avoid spending life behind bars you maybe shouldn't have waited until after the high publicised trial and being convicted

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I don't know if Denmark practices oral arguments when contesting sentencing alone, Retsplejeloven § 917 would suggest that a more or less regular hearing will be held,

I've been a lay judge and once had an appeal only on the sentencing.

The guy came from the lower court with a suspended sentence and got sent to prison, lol :black101:

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

brylcreem posted:

I've been a lay judge and once had an appeal only on the sentencing.

The guy came from the lower court with a suspended sentence and got sent to prison, lol :black101:

Yeah, that's right, you were a lay judge, you mentioned this. So it's just a hearing then? Both parties nagging about precedent and Madsen begging?

What's your gut feeling on this one? Ol' Madsen gonna slip one past the judges and walk away with a slap on the wrist?

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Yeah, that's right, you were a lay judge, you mentioned this. So it's just a hearing then? Both parties nagging about precedent and Madsen begging?

What's your gut feeling on this one? Ol' Madsen gonna slip one past the judges and walk away with a slap on the wrist?

It's been a while, but the defendant gave testimony and also one other guy. They also read some stuff from the first trial. And of course the lawyers does their thing about precedent.

My gut feeling is that the higher court is going to listen to the defense and her argument that the cause of death hasn't been established.

I doubt he'll get away with "usømmelig omgang med lig" (can't remember the English term) but he'll probably get a reduced sentence.

Which means forvaring in this case.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Google translate gives me "indecent dealings with equal" for that, so maybe not-murder murder?

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
No, it means messing around with a dead body - the dismemberment part.

It carries a sentence of six months.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

brylcreem posted:

It's been a while, but the defendant gave testimony and also one other guy. They also read some stuff from the first trial. And of course the lawyers does their thing about precedent.

My gut feeling is that the higher court is going to listen to the defense and her argument that the cause of death hasn't been established.

I doubt he'll get away with "usømmelig omgang med lig" (can't remember the English term) but he'll probably get a reduced sentence.

Which means forvaring in this case.

Why would the court hear her argument about a question of fact that was determined in lower court? Let me put it this way, whether it was strangulation or exsanguination, Madsen is the cause of death. This is a matter of criminal guilt, which has been determined by the lower court and not contested (by appeal) by Madsen. Claimed uncertainty about facts that determine guilt are not extenuating circumstances and may not be used (in the technical sense, obviously you wanna mention it) to reduce Madsen's punishment.

I also doubt he'll get away with anything that he's been convicted of since he's been convicted of it and high court will not be hearing anything that determines whether Madsen should be aquitted. What kind of mickey mouse court would acquit someone at a sentencing hearing. That's what retrials are for.

I hope you're wrong and the court delivers a smackdown. It's not rare that high court/supreme court delivers a lowered sentence, but I don't see any good reason for doing so in this case. Not after that verdict in lower court. However, I would consider it likely that the supreme court would take this opportunity to firmly establish through presedence that life in prison can unequivocally be sought for single murders.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

brylcreem posted:

I'm not sure I understand. Do you suppose the higher court would disregard the circumstantial evidence for pre-meditation?

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Is the 100% exact cause of death relevant after the examination result state that she was stabbed while still alive?

A more extreme example would be poisioning, beheading and shooting someone and claiming you can't be convicted for murder since the exact reason of death can't be determined. Also you allegedly popped a balloon behind their back, so the victim must have died of an heart attack, so it's an accident.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Lima posted:

What could possibly induce anyone to reduce his sentence

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Phlegmish posted:

What could possibly induce anyone to reduce his sentence

Regression toward the mean?

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
What hes asking on appeal isnt something the judge would be required to even consider in the us. Ask a judge to invalidate a juries finding of fact you can take a hike lol. In this case another judges finding a fact. If they even consider it they unravel tje entire legal system. Thats so foundational im not even sure what would underpin your legal system if men cannot judge what is and what is not fact and be done with it. At that point technically anything is true from the governments perspective and i dont understand how that could function. Thats not a little technical detail lol. But.. moon people... so hell i dont know.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

DogonCrook posted:

What hes asking on appeal isnt something the judge would be required to even consider in the us. Ask a judge to invalidate a juries finding of fact you can take a hike lol.

Your odds are incredibly bad, but US appellate courts occasionally overturn trial court's findings of fact. It's usually under a "plain error" or a "clearly erroneous" test.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

ulmont posted:

Your odds are incredibly bad, but US appellate courts occasionally overturn trial court's findings of fact. It's usually under a "plain error" or a "clearly erroneous" test.

Yeah im just saying doing it while aknowledging the guilty verdict and not contesting the finding of fact, is questioning the validity of a guilty verdict generally, not his specifically. Hes claiming beside guilt there is some other abstract bar you have to clear to enact a sentence on that verdict. As if there were shades of fact some being more valid than others. Thats plainly retarded imo. Thats a completely arbitrary system if so, its not justice.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
But he's not asking for anything foundational? Just to have a more lenient sentence, within the limits stated by the law for his crime. That is a pretty routine thing in continental law afaik.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

DogonCrook posted:

What hes asking on appeal isnt something the judge would be required to even consider in the us. Ask a judge to invalidate a juries finding of fact you can take a hike lol. In this case another judges finding a fact. If they even consider it they unravel tje entire legal system. Thats so foundational im not even sure what would underpin your legal system if men cannot judge what is and what is not fact and be done with it. At that point technically anything is true from the governments perspective and i dont understand how that could function. Thats not a little technical detail lol. But.. moon people... so hell i dont know.

#whoa watch out guys we got a regular Montesquieu over here

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

Lol i know a thing or two about guilty verdicts.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

DogonCrook posted:

Lol i know a thing or two about guilty verdicts.

I'm sorry they caught you, but maybe you lack the legal perspective?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

DogonCrook posted:

Yeah im just saying doing it while aknowledging the guilty verdict and not contesting the finding of fact, is questioning the validity of a guilty verdict generally, not his specifically. Hes claiming beside guilt there is some other abstract bar you have to clear to enact a sentence on that verdict. As if there were shades of fact some being more valid than others. Thats plainly retarded imo. Thats a completely arbitrary system if so, its not justice.

Yeah, but he got a specifically "life" sentence as opposed to "20 years" or something. It is pretty common in the US to appeal a "death" sentence as opposed to any other sentence without challenging guilt of the underlying crime, and that doesn't seem to be very far different from what Madsen is doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I mean if you can point to where im wrong im all ears.

• Locked thread