Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Reiterpallasch posted:

compromise option: the ability to abuse both bulwark and evasion by vigilance + sprinting/jumping even on an assault is the real criminal here

it's only fair when they bring demolishers and SRM carriers that you can't have! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
The marginalization of light/mediums towards the end of the game is seriously bumming me out, but I can't really think of a way to encourage their use without making things unfun somehow. Like a tax for going over the mission's tonnage rating, maybe? But that would be lame.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

Rookersh posted:

each evasion pip is roughly a 5% chance to hit. so at 7 you get -35% chance to be hit.

As far as I know each evasion pip counts for -2 Difficulty to Hit which is usually 10%. Difficulty to Hit (which includes evasion, range, partial obstruction, terrain effects, and possibly gyro upgrades) is 5% per point up to -10 total points (-50%), then -2.5% per point after that. Light mechs have an inherent -2 to be hit, mediums have -1.

Edit: Base chance to hit is 65% plus 2.5% per Gunnery skill.

Promethium fucked around with this message at 20:56 on May 7, 2018

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

The short answer is that it's just the consequence of focusing on individual small skirmishes.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

KPC_Mammon posted:

I don't get DFA self damage. I have a firestarter with two leg enhancements providing -10 and -20 DFA damage. It is a 35 ton mech.

Why is DFA dealing 15 damage to each leg when I use it?

It looks like DFA self damage = DFA damage, but it is applied in two separate hits. Leg enhancements that reduce DFA damage apply to each hit separately.

Firestarter normally hits itself twice for 45 damage each, with the leg mods it is reduced to 15 damage each hit.

This means with the best leg mods your best bet for infinite zero self damage DFA's is the Blackjack (110 DFA damage).

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Argas posted:

The short answer is that it's just the consequence of focusing on individual small skirmishes.

Basically this. While you could theoretically say "let the player bring 16 lights on a drop" or whatever, the game would just drag on longer, and the action economy of more bots could swing the meta to "never use assaults".

Limiting drop tonnage or having costs associated with fueling/maintenance per drop that scales with size is probably the only workable option that doesn't fundamentally change poo poo.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Ultimately, I'd rather play a game where I fight lots of mechs/vehicles in a mission and if Bulwark needs to be a little OP to make that happen, so be it (But Disabling turn in place and still getting Bulkwark is a good first step). Certainly more fun than a fair fight against a good AI in campaign mode.

Just giving the AI artillery/airstrikes so you can't kill zone turtle every mission, and it would balance out just fine. Extra fun if you can destroy the artillery/aircraft. Of courses that's more

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I keep saying I should stop playing soon, just because there's no real new content yet and I have the sort of lance(s) I need.

Yet here I am with 970 Board rating and 53 million Cbills in my warchest. I could have a lot more if I just sold off some of the ++ gear I am carting around but I'm saving it for when I inevitably blow an arm or something on my cooler mechs.

I've even started hunting for mechwarriors with special traits for whenever they properly implement that stuff.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Are there AAA mechs/weapons in the BT Universe?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Eldragon posted:

Ultimately, I'd rather play a game where I fight lots of mechs/vehicles in a mission and if Bulwark needs to be a little OP to make that happen, so be it (But Disabling turn in place and still getting Bulkwark is a good first step). Certainly more fun than a fair fight against a good AI in campaign mode.

Just giving the AI artillery/airstrikes so you can't kill zone turtle every mission, and it would balance out just fine. Extra fun if you can destroy the artillery/aircraft. Of courses that's more

The base attack missions sure would be a lot harder if the base turrets could lock at longer ranges. As it is, you just have to instakill all their spotters.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Make monthly operating costs change relative to the amount of tonnage you've deployed on contracts during that month.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

BurntCornMuffin posted:

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Rifleman

E: the JagerMech was also designed as an AA platform.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

BurntCornMuffin posted:

The Rifleman and its variants are

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Zigmidge posted:

you're playing a strategy game with some of the worst AI ever.

To be fair, the game is perfect for me, the worst player ever

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Don't forget the Jagermech

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Yeah, the Rifleman is a dedicated aa mech and it's one of the classic original "unseen" designs.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

The marginalization of light/mediums towards the end of the game is seriously bumming me out, but I can't really think of a way to encourage their use without making things unfun somehow. Like a tax for going over the mission's tonnage rating, maybe? But that would be lame.

I think the fundamental problem is that Battletech sees light>medium>heavy>assault as just being a linear gear progression like going from a +1 to a +2 sword in some RPG rather than having actual different roles. So yeah, I don't see that changing without some major overhauls to how stuff works or just a lame fun tax.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Gobblecoque posted:

I think the fundamental problem is that Battletech sees light>medium>heavy>assault as just being a linear gear progression like going from a +1 to a +2 sword in some RPG rather than having actual different roles. So yeah, I don't see that changing without some major overhauls to how stuff works or just a lame fun tax.

Really just missions that require you to move quickly solve this issue. The storyline mission where you have to destroy the comm tower in 15 rounds or less is tricky with a slow lance, trivially easy with a single jump equipped light. is a decent example of "don't roll nothing but slow mechs". Similar solutions can be done with randomly generated missions.

And let us not forget the fun of infantry. Trivially easy to kill, only dangerous at short range, but chew through mechs dumb enough to let them get close. Back when I was doing weekend TT games, dropping with an swarm of infantry against the dudes with their anti-mech optimized murder boats is probably the most fun I had playing the game. Course this game will probably never have them, which is too bad.

But yeah, the core base game of mechs slugging it out, tonnage wins.

Eldragon fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 7, 2018

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Made a BeforeIPlay page for Battletech. Guys take a look and suggest anything to add?

May want to mention that in some cases, you can target the support structure under a turret, which will generally come down with far less of a hit.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Reiterpallasch posted:

compromise option: the ability to abuse both bulwark and evasion by vigilance + sprinting/jumping even on an assault is the real criminal here

Vigilance doesn’t grant bulwark. You get the half stability damage but not the half armor damage.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

May want to mention that in some cases, you can target the support structure under a turret, which will generally come down with far less of a hit.

Only some, though. It failed for me at the ammo depot.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

E: the JagerMech was also designed as an AA platform.

I never really got the “anti aircraft mech” tabletop design concept like the Jagermech. Ok, so it has some long range firepower but it’s using lovely light auto cannons and aero fighters aren’t made out of tissue paper.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Make monthly operating costs change relative to the amount of tonnage you've deployed on contracts during that month.

This is a reasonable solution. However I've never really had money crunch all game long so far, so I'd probably just effortlessly pay for the extra weight.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Deuce posted:

I never really got the “anti aircraft mech” tabletop design concept like the Jagermech. Ok, so it has some long range firepower but it’s using lovely light auto cannons and aero fighters aren’t made out of tissue paper.

If I remember right, aerofighters have to check versus losing control and cratering any time they take hits.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Deuce posted:

Vigilance doesn’t grant bulwark. You get the half stability damage but not the half armor damage.

oh poo poo, really? some certain unpleasant experiences with a highlander are starting to explain themselves...

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Reiterpallasch posted:

oh poo poo, really? some certain unpleasant experiences with a highlander are starting to explain themselves...

This is technically true, as bulwark is a special ability.

It gives you entrenched and guarded though, which is better than bulwark. Bulwark only gives guarded.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Hell, just look at the numbers that pop up when you get shot after using vigilance. You absolutely take 1/2 armor damage under Vigilance.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Only some, though. It failed for me at the ammo depot.

See, that was the first time I'd tried it, and it worked on at least one of the turrets.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
:rip: Dekker. Core'd by a demolisher that moved over the ridgeline before it could be focus-fired down.

Apparently asking for him to survive his third core'ing was too much to ask. :smith:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Reiterpallasch posted:

bulwark seriously needs a nerf, though

come to think of it, making it not work when rotating might be a good first step. or making it the tier-2 skill for guts so it's an actual choice what to take.

"Something actually works. Better nerf it. In fact, swap it with the widely accepted to be garbage skill."

Also clearly the REAL pro answer if you can't decide between Bulwark Vs Ace Pilot for your frontliners is to take BOTH :pseudo:

Control Volume posted:

HBS is apparently going to to add missions that make lights mobility useful strategically, but as missions and infinite weight limits stand, I think the only real fix to this is making the AI use sensor lock and LRMs more which is kind of a poo poo way to fix things

The AI loving LOVES to use Sensor Lock+LRM spam on me even when I'm two feet from my spawn point and my only route is 'out into an open field' or 'up a mountain' that still leaves me in their sensor range :v: "Ugh this sucks. At least it's probably only a Trebuchet I can kill with a stiff breeze-oh it's a missile Jager with master tactician."

Though to be fair, routinely poo poo luck will make any AI look like a super genius. Then you get moments where a pair of enemy enforcers go from a problem to a joke as their pathing breaks on an awkward mountain pass when they land next to eachother (Guys, you have jump jets... Which make me jealous as my heavies spends 4 turns sprinting in an awkward zig zag to get LoS).

As for lights, I hope they actually make lights themselves more useful. Like, direct advantages for lights that are universal in a way that doesn't favor the AI's ability to spam the poo poo out of them vs your limited unit.

Not falling into the common pit of "Okay, what if we make a set of chase targets, time limits, and other hurdles that make weaker faster units LOOK appealing without any actual benefit!"

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Because as said above, that's just not fun unless you're only in it find validation on the internet based on your robo tactics.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 22:03 on May 7, 2018

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Given how consistently and successfully my Firestarter is loving up whatever I point at it, the only thing Lights need is enough Support weapon slots to make their backstabs stick.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Night10194 posted:

Given how consistently and successfully my Firestarter is loving up whatever I point at it, the only thing Lights need is enough Support weapon slots to make their backstabs stick.

If you could preview the map I would be using my still in the mechbays firestarter way more often, and bring my Jenner out of storage. Rather than keeping it on the ship out of :tinfoil: fear of more shitshow spawns.

...But seriously, being able to preview the terrain would be a HUGE deal for deciding if you want to bring your more agile mechs, across all mission types. I would have left my heavies home and brought an all medium lance tops for some of the missions I've seen based on how awkward anything without jumpjets or a 150 top speed was to use. "Don't worry guys, our Jagermech is almost finally able to loving see the enemy in the first place! Oh by the way our Centurion is almost out of missiles already."

Section Z fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 7, 2018

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Night10194 posted:

Yeah, switch support slots back to ballistic/energy but still let support weapons fire with melee attacks and suddenly lights become a lot more scary.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
They could also introduce a percentage-based tonnage fee as you drop, so there's an incentive to beat each mission with the lightest total mech weight possible.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

KPC_Mammon posted:

Yeah, switch support slots back to ballistic/energy but still let support weapons fire with melee attacks and suddenly lights become a lot more scary.

I can't tell you how disappointed I was to finally get a jenner chassis and find I can't load it up with small lasers and SRMs to complete my old MWO chubby-chaser build.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

They could also introduce a percentage-based tonnage fee as you drop, so there's an incentive to beat each mission with the lightest total mech weight possible.

But that's basically a fun tax, and those suck.

Edit: Maybe instead of a penalty for being overweight, there could be a bonus for being underweight? That might work.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

I know everyone hates clans, but having a built in incentive to drop as few tons as possible would really help.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Deuce posted:

That is 100% not true:
"Gain GUARDED and ENTRENCHED and remove all stability damage. Your next Initiative is increased by 1 (to a maximum of 5)."

Guarded is 50% damage reduction, entrenched is the 50% stability damage reduction.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

KPC_Mammon posted:

I know everyone hates clans, but having a built in incentive to drop as few tons as possible would really help.

Soft deterrents like this sound good in theory and are invariably awful in practice. A hard limit at least gives you something concrete to work around and be creative, a soft limit is just the game scolding you for bringing an assault

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Cheen posted:

Its not true grognard/minmaxing if its against the AI-

I await the minmaxing in multiplayer!

Flamer Firestarter to lock down the heaviest mech the opponent has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

It would have to be quite the absurd fee if you want to make "More assurance I don't have a repair bill" not the the correct financial answer 99% of the time.

"Why won't you loving use lighter mechs!?
"Because the enemy has 1.7 AC20's per 1 mech I'm fielding."
"Oh yeah! Well now you have to pay 50,000 credits extra per heavy mech you drop with!"
"That's still less than my last hunchback repair bill, even before destroyed AC20++ I had to replace."
"100,000?"
"Worth keeping Decker out of the hospital for another 37 days."