Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Coasterphreak posted:

Sauerkraut is pickled cabbage in salt and brine, and was a traditional way of keeping food shelf-stable over long periods of time for thousands of years in Europe. The pickling solution kills the bacteria, the refrigeration is probably just to preserve flavor and texture.

Yeah but do you really trust a company that built, shared, and defended that “refrigerator” not to gently caress up the canning process in some way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
It's an ugly lovely refrigerator, but at the same time I find it difficult to see a really lovely low cost solution. I mean, it's obvious after hearing what an HVAC pro has to say about it, but as a DIYer, I might do something that stupid. . . I mean, at one point, I wanted to build a "mini fridge" that would hold just one or two beer cans using some foam insulation boards and a couple peltier coolers, I wanted something small enough to sit on top of my desk. In the end :effort: and the fact my wife got me a mini fridge for my birthday prevented me from ever doing it. And once I researched and got to the planning stage I probably would have realized it was going to be a stupid idea, but it never had a chance to get that far. My own ambitions of a lovely beverage cooler for my own private use are a whole different level than trying to DIY a commercial fridge, but the owner did claim that their size and budget wasn't enough to justify the cost of a real commercial HVAC install. I'm willing to guess the guy probably spent a thousand on that ghetto fridge, and a pro install would probably have been several thousand dollars. . . But I do think that the "insulated door" is well below even amateur DIY standards, he should have used either a solid door or a hollow door filled with expanding foam (yes I know this might explode).

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Platystemon posted:

Yeah but do you really trust a company that built, shared, and defended that “refrigerator” not to gently caress up the canning process in some way?

To be fair, they didn’t share the refrigerator, it was posted by a professional HVAC/R tech that took the pictures. If they are selling their product retail in a commercial storefront, they are presumably subject to health code compliance. Canning for retail sale requires a shitton of HAACP and usually involves a written variance from the local health department since it’s low-oxygen packaging, so yeah, their operation is probably okay if they’ve been in business any length of time.

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

So searching for the CoolBot thing they used, leads to Amazon. It’s great for mortuaries apparently

https://www.amazon.com/CoolBot-Cooler-Controller-window-conditioner/dp/B003VSLTAI

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Coasterphreak posted:

To be fair, they didn’t share the refrigerator, it was posted by a professional HVAC/R tech that took the pictures. If they are selling their product retail in a commercial storefront, they are presumably subject to health code compliance. Canning for retail sale requires a shitton of HAACP and usually involves a written variance from the local health department since it’s low-oxygen packaging, so yeah, their operation is probably okay if they’ve been in business any length of time.

No, the owner was the one who proudly showed off his creation there

Crotch Fruit posted:

It's an ugly lovely refrigerator, but at the same time I find it difficult to see a really lovely low cost solution. I mean, it's obvious after hearing what an HVAC pro has to say about it, but as a DIYer, I might do something that stupid. . . I mean, at one point, I wanted to build a "mini fridge" that would hold just one or two beer cans using some foam insulation boards and a couple peltier coolers, I wanted something small enough to sit on top of my desk. In the end :effort: and the fact my wife got me a mini fridge for my birthday prevented me from ever doing it. And once I researched and got to the planning stage I probably would have realized it was going to be a stupid idea, but it never had a chance to get that far. My own ambitions of a lovely beverage cooler for my own private use are a whole different level than trying to DIY a commercial fridge, but the owner did claim that their size and budget wasn't enough to justify the cost of a real commercial HVAC install. I'm willing to guess the guy probably spent a thousand on that ghetto fridge, and a pro install would probably have been several thousand dollars. . . But I do think that the "insulated door" is well below even amateur DIY standards, he should have used either a solid door or a hollow door filled with expanding foam (yes I know this might explode).

If he wants to have a serious food business, he should be prepared to budget for the proper equipment for the job. He should have either bought another commercial reach in, used or otherwise, and continued to budget for a small, properly assembled walk in.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

MarxCarl posted:

So searching for the CoolBot thing they used, leads to Amazon. It’s great for mortuaries apparently

Farm to table to grave

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“We understand that new technology can be very threatening to some people” is the biggest load of horseshit I’ve seen since the third photo (depicting their product).

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

I'm doing something similarly unwise to a window air conditioner, but not nearly as unwise as that (just getting it 2 degrees below its lowest set point, not... like fifteen.) Using window units and CoolBots is a great way for small-scale farmers to get a lot of fridge space (a friend of mine does this for his cut-flower farm), but yeah, the trick is you have to build the room properly, and also consult the CoolBot AC unit sizing guidelines which basically say "not this lol"

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Coasterphreak posted:

Sauerkraut is pickled cabbage in salt and brine, and was a traditional way of keeping food shelf-stable over long periods of time for thousands of years in Europe. The pickling solution kills the bacteria, the refrigeration is probably just to preserve flavor and texture.

Salt and brine are sorta the same thing though, did you mean vinegar and salt?

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Salt and brine are sorta the same thing though, did you mean vinegar and salt?

Traditional fermented sauerkraut isn't made with vinegar.

It's just cabbage, saltwater, and spices. The salty anaerobic environment is bad for most bacteria, but good for a few that make lactic acid. The lactic acid is what gives it the sour taste, and the salt and acid inhibit the growth of botulism and all the bacteria and fungi that normally make cabbage rot.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

ExplodingSims posted:

So a "small business owner" went and built himself a custom walk-in fridge for his stuff.

And then an actual HVAC/R contractor comes into explain what's wrong with, well, everything here.

His rebuttal:

In case anyone is wondering what exactly is wrong here:
For one, it's not really anywhere close to being sealed properly. A proper walk-in actually had cam-locks inside the panels, and when you assemble them, they pull into each other. There is a rubber lip, and you also run a bead of butyl to seal it 100%. The doors have gaskets and are supposed to close by themselves to seal properly. He has none of this.

The bigger problem is that the window unit is completely insufficient for this task. It's undersized and not designed to cycle like a walk-in does. While he does have a different controller, which, to my understanding, refortifies some of this, its still running too low for it's design and will end up overtaxing and prematurely burning out the compressor. Of course, while it may be able to maintain the temperature, the it's almost certainly going to struggle actually pull the product temp down to safe temps.

To say nothing of the mold growth potential in all the cracks, crevices and gaps in there.

:stonk:

The health inspector is going to climb up his rear end with a flashlight the moment he sees that. There's a reason walk-ins are so expensive, and it's reliable cooling. There's no way that thing maintains 40 degrees even if repeatedly accessed, and if he's half-assing basic food safety like this what else is he cutting corners on? Hell, I bet those boxes are sitting on the floor of that 'walk-in' and not even on so much as a pallet to let air circulate at floor level.

ExplodingSims posted:

There's a big difference between product temp and space temp.

Even though he may be able to keep the space in the safe zone, between 35-40*, that little window shaker isn't really up to the task of pulling the heat out of the product in a sufficient time to keep it out of the danger zone.

If you look at walk in evaps, that generally why they've got big fans with long throw, to be able to cycle as much air as possible across the space.

Basic health standards are as thus: Food must cool from 135f to 75f within two hours, and to below 41f within 4 more, and must be maintained at an internal temp below 41f. An air temp in the 30's without circulation isn't going to do that for the stuff in the middle of that big pile of boxes.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 06:54 on May 8, 2018

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
CoolBot seems pretty dope tbh, and making your own walk-in cooler is insanely useful, especially for a setup that isn't dealing with unpackaged food. There is nothing magical about the compressors in regular walk-ins that makes they instantly cool whatever you put in them, regardless of how things are stacked and how long the door is open for! The other downsides with this are probably just energy efficiency, lifespan of the AC and durability of the whole thing (not to mention the half-disassembled AC unit sticking out of the wall).

That guy was just using it to store boxes of sauerkraut, right? It's fine lol. Since it's a finished product in boxes, you don't need to worry about making everything out of easily-sanitizable stainless steel (since that poo poo could be stored in a refrigerated warehouse, or refrigerated trailer). His build looks lovely as hell and is probably extremely inefficient, but without seeing the specs I have no idea if that AC unit is insufficient for the volume

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

Basic health standards are as thus: Food must cool from 135f to 75f within two hours, and to below 41f within 4 more, and must be maintained at an internal temp below 41f. An air temp in the 30's without circulation isn't going to do that for the stuff in the middle of that big pile of boxes.

1. This doesn't apply to sauerkraut you dingus. It starts at room temperature.
2. There is a reason why food is stored on racks in walk ins, but cases of beer are stacked
3. This has nothing to do with the walk-in he made. He'd be storing that the same way in a professional one

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I am upset by this.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Half your house is a traditional farmhouse and the other half is a McMansion :wtc:

I want to see interior pics. I especially want to see the transition point from one style to the other.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I really, really hope that the interior wall in the McMansion side is just the unaltered exterior wall of the old house.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
I wish I had pictures of my aunt's house. She didn't plan to retire to the farmhouse, but her brother had an accident and couldn't find renovating work, so she decided that she'd keep him employed by renovating the place. It started off as just fixing up the kitchen, and then a few rooms, but then she added a huuuuuge addition on the back (she kept the original kitchen and servant stairs, but added a full floor and a loft overseeing it, and had Mennonites built an octagonal post-and-peg sitting room on the back. The whole thing ties in exceptionally well somehow.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

It's like when an amoeba starts to consume another single-cell organism.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

"OK Google; what would it look like if grover had a lot more money to deal with"

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Aww, I really like that old style of house. The controlled rust (?) roof, the church windows, etc.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
It looks like the house grew another house as a tumor.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The Real Estate Centipede, beginning stages.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

"OK Google; what would it look like if grover had a lot more money to deal with"

GroverMcMansion

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It looks like the wife and husband has their own sides of house.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Aww, I really like that old style of house. The controlled rust (?) roof, the church windows, etc.

Are we sure that -isn't- a church? That entryway screams 'small town Methodist Church' to me. Maybe they had someone who runs a contracting company donate extra McMansion materials for an addition.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Liquid Communism posted:

Are we sure that -isn't- a church? That entryway screams 'small town Methodist Church' to me. Maybe they had someone who runs a contracting company donate extra McMansion materials for an addition.

Yeah, I don't kow about that, I don't see too many lower case "T"s anywhere around there.
I think the T stands for tits maybe.

Ok, ok, I've been following this thread for a while now and see numerous references to the Grover house.
I seem to recall that many years ago, Grover was a mod, assuming the same Grover, and not just some random Grover named dude who also posted at SA.

So what was the deal with the Grover house? Was it crappy construction? Questionable Aesthetics? A combination of crappy construction and questionable aesthetics? Like say a guy wanting to pimp out his bathroom for :females: and cutting the tops off his engineered joists for his sunken infinity gravel (gravel and grover are only two different letters) surrounded bathtub?

What happened to Grover the mod? Did he resign as a result of his crappy construction, or because there was an impostor Grover that made a lovely construction thing?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Google for groverhaus and you'll find what remains of the story. It's ancient history now; as best I can tell it was basically someone suffering from the Dunning-Kruger effect deciding to build a mcmansion. In a swamp.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

We maintain a repository of forums lore for just this purpose

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
The pictures are gone, but response at the end appears to suggest he ended up doing a great job?

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
If I remember correctly, he mentioned "load bearing drywall" and if anything, the really stupid as hell stairs would tell me right off the bat that it was not a great job.

The stupid stairs had a window right at the landing the stairs were largely pointing to so anyone who tripped and fell down would fly right out the window. Also the stairs were indoors but coated in layers of insulation for reasons. Gotta keep the stairs warm! I can't find a picture right now but I'm sure someone will.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
He also melted a bunch of siding with his BBQ and the living room thermostat was directly in the shining sun of the afore-mentioned defenstration window. But iirc the thing that upset goons the most was that he insinuated that he was getting his own engineering license or whatever so he could pass his own permits.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Also he melted the siding of his house.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah the main thing was that he hosed up his electrical and a bunch of other very serious safety issues and an inspector came and said it was poo poo and bad. So he did some dubiously legal maneuver to become a registered inspector and inspected him self and gave him self a pass.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

It's been archived on twitter:

https://twitter.com/3liza/status/891475977183739905

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah the main thing was that he hosed up his electrical and a bunch of other very serious safety issues and an inspector came and said it was poo poo and bad. So he did some dubiously legal maneuver to become a registered inspector and inspected him self and gave him self a pass.

This, plus the shed with a pipe coming out the window, immortalized in the emoticon: :grovertoot:

The whole thing was a spectacular shitshow, and he got really belligerent about it. He'd been known up to that point for posting a lot in military related threads making it sound like he'd served when he was really a contractor. Also he made this hilarious post where he predicted the war in Iraq would be over in weeks and we'd be out of the country shortly after. It got quoted at him any time he prognosticated about pretty much anything, but especially geopolitics. Which he did a lot. Point is: dude was a weenie. And a mod.

So people in LF made fun of him a lot. Somebody figured out where he lived, so even after he started nuking his posts and pictures people were still posting their own pics. Because they were driving by his house and taking pictures.

This thread was half of what got LF deleted. The other half was a thread about an article about guys who got arrested for posting online about killing the president, which quickly devolded into posting elaborate fiction and Doctor Seuss parody about the same. Lowtax got an in-person visit by humorless men in suits.

The whole thing was surreal.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
Yikes. I definitely wouldn't have guessed it was that much of a shitshow by the comments on the last page of the archived thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7zPiTHjzVI