Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
Killed 7 mechs, fired once on my assassinate target, dropship swoops in and picks him up same turn without him moving. Failed mission, $19k payout and a heatsink. Cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Bonus c-bills or extra salvage choice for every 50 tons you're under the maximum drop tonnage.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Conspiratiorist posted:

Flamer Firestarter to lock down the heaviest mech the opponent has.

4 firestarters to do this to three mechs while the last firestarter uses small lasers

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Control Volume posted:

4 firestarters to do this to three mechs while the last firestarter uses small lasers

The problem is the limited flamer charges; you want the rest of your team to have the firepower to quickly destroy or utterly cripple the shutdown mech. If you commit more than one flame firestarter to this strategy you risk running out of ammo before having inflicted sufficient damage to the enemy lance.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Thats what the small laser mech is for

cugel
Jan 22, 2010
What is wrong with a limit on tonnage?

You can't be this fat for this mission!

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
They could also just put strict tonnage limits on certain missions because the employer doesn't want to attract too much attention, or wants to avoid escalation. They could also include more mission types with timers that require you to get to a certain location and occupy it before the timer runs out. Maybe they could make it interesting by only pausing the timer while you have a mech in the zone, so your lights and mediums would rush forward to delay the timer while your heavies and assaults catch up to hold the position in time for a counter-attack.

Some missions could have you starting far from the objective due to AA cover, or stuff like that. Give different reasons to prioritize speed. Maybe add some fame mechanic that you only accrue points when going under weight. Let you spend fame on getting access to LosTech from certain suppliers. Stuff like that.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Eldragon posted:

Really just missions that require you to move quickly solve this issue. The storyline mission where you have to destroy the comm tower in 15 rounds or less is tricky with a slow lance, trivially easy with a single jump equipped light. is a decent example of "don't roll nothing but slow mechs". Similar solutions can be done with randomly generated missions.

And let us not forget the fun of infantry. Trivially easy to kill, only dangerous at short range, but chew through mechs dumb enough to let them get close. Back when I was doing weekend TT games, dropping with an swarm of infantry against the dudes with their anti-mech optimized murder boats is probably the most fun I had playing the game. Course this game will probably never have them, which is too bad.

But yeah, the core base game of mechs slugging it out, tonnage wins.

I dunno, the comm tower mission was still easy with nothing but assaults/heavies. The secret ingredient is jump jets. You could probably do it no problem with an all Atlas lance as long as you had jump jets. In any case, trying to force the player to bring a token light just to grab objectives is still lame.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
I just nerfed LRMs (roughly half dmg/stab damge). Thus allowing me to more safely bring lighter Mechs. This is also more fun for me, since I dislike LRMs. I also made light and medium Mechs harder to hit. Which should help.

If you don't like how the game plays => mod it.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Control Volume posted:

Soft deterrents like this sound good in theory and are invariably awful in practice. A hard limit at least gives you something concrete to work around and be creative, a soft limit is just the game scolding you for bringing an assault

I was thinking more along the lines of "winning the bid caps you at X tons but you can bring less for additional prestige."

A hard cap with incentives to go even lower.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Or, just weight cap at 300 tons for the lance and think around that.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Night10194 posted:

If I remember right, aerofighters have to check versus losing control and cratering any time they take hits.

Ahh, so the Battlefield version of ... Battletech I’m envisioning would have aerofighters be constantly spammed with “Press X to not die” quick time events. Seems balanced.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Gwaihir posted:

That is 100% not true:
"Gain GUARDED and ENTRENCHED and remove all stability damage. Your next Initiative is increased by 1 (to a maximum of 5)."

Guarded is 50% damage reduction, entrenched is the 50% stability damage reduction.

Man, I read that wrong and somehow ignored an awesome ability all campaign. :downs:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

cugel posted:

What is wrong with a limit on tonnage?

You can't be this fat for this mission!

It doesn't really solve the problem of lights being Bad and usually just delays all-assault lances instead of making mixed lances more viable.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
I found a way to get good mileage out of a 55 ton Shadow Hawk, pretty late in the game when I've got more assault mechs than I can use. A cheap Light or Medium mech is an overpriced coffin, but a fully equipped one is kinda useful. The pilot wants to have the Piloting skill. The extra evasion bip is necessary, and the higher-rank piloting nub that gives +1 max evasion is even better. A Rangefinder is a very good piece to put in the head spot. Rangefinders++' go up to +100m spot distance, but even the basic +25m ones will let you out-spot the opposition. Jump Jets are also mandatory. When you get any, a Gyro to stick into its torso that adds + Hit Difficulty, basically functions the same way as permanent extra evasion bips. A Shadow Hawk who spends its turn Jumping, who gets 5 evasion bips, who is even harder to hit with the evasion Gyro, will have such a low hit percentage - enemies will only shoot at it when it's the only mech in range, and they'll usually miss.

I gave mine 2x SRM6 and a M'Laser. It can deal a decent chunk of stability damage, it can gently caress up anything with an exposed section, and it's mobile enough to get pretty much whatever angle it wants on the enemy. The pilot is a Tactics 2 / Pilot 1, which is most useful when you take into account all of the things it can do. A Shadow Hawk with maxed JJ's and hot SRM's is going to overheat a lot. The Tactics 1 ability, Sensor Thing, is what you use on turns when you have too much heat for a full salvo, or when you are spotting something on the other side of a wall, and all three of your other assault mech pals have a LRM to follow it up with. (Shooting 8 ability 'Breaching Shot' with a LRM20 makes the first couple of long-range sensor-contact rounds verrry useful. Don't plink a pile of 2-damage missiles into something that's using Cover, pair your spotter with a skilled Shooter. One LRM is all you need for sensor-range fights, and then punchier direct-fire weaponry when it gets to visual range. The sandpaper-esque damage distribution doesn't look impressive by itself, but it does meaningfully soften poo poo up before it closes with you.)

The most useful part of Tactics 2 for a lighter mech is not that you get an initiative bonus - it's that, when you Reserve Action, you get an evasion bip. If somebody takes a pot shot at your scout, or uses a sensor lock to try to pin them down, Reserve will maintain their ridiculously good evasion chance. Most of the time, you should be reserving, and going on the same phase as your assault buddies - either to chip in some damage, or Sensor Lock whoever they're about to shoot. The only times where you shouldn't reserve your action to go with the assaults: if somebody has an exposed section, and you have enough morale for a called shot, jump to the appropriate flanking side, and hit it with SRM's. If somebody's stability meter is almost capped out, hit them with SRM's from any direction and watch them fall. If you can't get a knockdown or break a valuable section by going first, reserve your action.

Sometimes, the enemy will have fire support poo poo, like Catapults or Jagermechs, standing on top of a hill outside of your visual range, using their front line guys as spotters. A spotting evasion-rich Shadow Hawk (or whatever) jumping way ahead of your assault pack is an excellent way to get a targeting line on those fire support guys. Don't jump way ahead of your assault pals until they're also in the enemy's visual range, though - you cannot have enough evasion to dodge all attacks forever. You can have enough evasion that your enemies won't bother focusing fire on it, and will target your guarded Assaults instead. With the AI's loadouts, their designated fire support mechs usually have thin armor and explodable ammunition. Also, if there are too many Devastators on the board, remember that a Shadow Hawk's DFA stomp can reliably one-shot any tank. That will leave it exposed to counter-attack next turn, so is good to use Vigilance before jumping, if there's a chance you'll get shot at the next round.

StringOfLetters fucked around with this message at 23:11 on May 7, 2018

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
functionally requiring a light/medium for bonus objectives seems a nice balance to me, especially if you make those bonus objectives give better rewards (eg more salvage, better salvage). That mission with the all the APCs attacking the base and the bonus objective to protect the medbay was a pretty good balance I thought. Basically no way to do it with all assaults.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

I can't tell you how disappointed I was to finally get a jenner chassis and find I can't load it up with small lasers and SRMs to complete my old MWO chubby-chaser build.

But that's basically a fun tax, and those suck.

Edit: Maybe instead of a penalty for being overweight, there could be a bonus for being underweight? That might work.

Introduce urban missions where the contract includes a bonus for every mech you keep below a certain tonnage in order to save on repaving all the roads.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

I imagined an Atlas tipping a giant hat.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Just did the Grave Robbing mission series and drat, that was a wild ride.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Tank Boy Ken posted:

I just nerfed LRMs (roughly half dmg/stab damge). Thus allowing me to more safely bring lighter Mechs. This is also more fun for me, since I dislike LRMs. I also made light and medium Mechs harder to hit. Which should help.

If you don't like how the game plays => mod it.

-1 stability damage across the board for LRMs is a good campaign mod since it makes salvage less braindead easy to come by, and makes you put more effort in to knocking down entire lances at once through multishot LRM boats.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Gwaihir posted:

-1 stability damage across the board for LRMs is a good campaign mod since it makes salvage less braindead easy to come by, and makes you put more effort in to knocking down entire lances at once through multishot LRM boats.

Not really, the +++lrms would still do ridiculous stab damage. It really just nerfs the AI who shoot normal lrms at you.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Dramicus posted:

Not really, the +++lrms would still do ridiculous stab damage. It really just nerfs the AI who shoot normal lrms at you.

I mean I reduced all the +++ LRMs too.

AI LRMs have never ever been threatening in this game.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Gwaihir posted:

I mean I reduced all the +++ LRMs too.

AI LRMs have never ever been threatening in this game.

Even so, a simple -1 stab doesn't stop you from knocking everyone over with +++lrm20s. Any more of a debuff and it would just shift the knocking meta to SRM6s, which also do a lot at +++ levels and are easy to boat.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Dramicus posted:

Even so, a simple -1 stab doesn't stop you from knocking everyone over with +++lrm20s. Any more of a debuff and it would just shift the knocking meta to SRM6s, which also do a lot at +++ levels and are easy to boat.

To add on to that, I also reduced Stab damage on SRMs too, LRMs are at 2-3 dmg per missile with 1-2 stab per Missile.
And I used Gwaihir idea to buff lights and added 4 extra tons of available weight to every Light (and Cicada). I starte a new campaign for it, and even with an Orion (AC/10 and SRMs) it's not a ONE alpha to unsteady route.

I see a lot less knowdowns this campaign. Though I'm immensely lucky with dealing head shots to enemies. And not getting many in return.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
can't believe gwaihir is just modding his game to bring back the energyboat meta circa MW2-MWO

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Eej posted:

can't believe gwaihir is just modding his game to bring back the energyboat meta circa MW2-MWO

Goons wanted knockdowns most of all in MWO and now that they have them in this game, they want less.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
If anything, the Dragon should have an special ramming attack where you boop em with your snoot like the good old days of Dragon Bowling in MWO

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
It mostly means I bring more autocannons and a couple PPCs, because even a lowly AC5 does more stab damage than a stock lrm20

Right now I'm running grasshopper laser boat + MGS, Orion with AC10, 3x SRM, and LL, Jager-A lrm boat, and Jager-S ppc + 2x AC5

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 23:42 on May 7, 2018

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Gwaihir posted:

It mostly means I bring more autocannons and a couple PPCs, because even a lowly AC5 does more stab damage than a stock lrm20

Once you get +30 stab ppcs and ac5s, they get pretty nuts too.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Tonnage limits would get ugly fast, unless they also add tweaks to how enemy composition is determined along with how Evasion works. As-is, Evasion is fairly strong early on, but drops off incredibly hard as the game goes on - I noticed this fairly definitively in the SLDF mission, as I constantly had the Royal Griffon jumping around at max distance, gaining the full 5 stacks (that pilot has enough Piloting), and was STILL reliably eating just about every weapon fired at it from that Assault lance.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Eej posted:

Bonus c-bills or extra salvage choice for every 50 tons you're under the maximum drop tonnage.

That's actually really clever.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Eej posted:

Does the commander look like a clanner?!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Honestly the problem lies with the source material.

The mass disparity between the lightest and heaviest classes of mech is kinda absurd

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I don't really get the gigantic want for contrivances that make you bring light mechs in a single player game. pure tonnage limits or higher fees are just fun taxes, and in any game where the player is outnumbered (All of them when you're only fighting the AI) there's no way to make a significantly more fragile unit worthwhile without also making it too powerful in equal (MP) settings.

You have to go to separate rulesets at that point- Like in SP lights would remain good if they had both the advanced weight savings tech to let them mount actual armor to go with their guns, and if Evasion pips were not stripped by just shooting and whiffing.

But that in turn makes mp a nightmare where the only reliable way to kill lights is the other person loving up because you have far fewer dice to throw at a single unit than the SP AI does.

It's a single player game, it's fine if the player gets far more powerful over time, even if it probably happens a tad too fast in this one at the moment.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

The problem is ‘power’ doesn’t equate exactly to ‘fun.’ Some people prefer to have units that can cover lots of ground really fast instead of lumber forward then alpha strike. Maybe the ‘fun’ comes from high risk high reward backstabs and lots of ducking and weaving. Assaults are only so much better because the game is balanced to make them so.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Just take lights as is, and challenge yourself. Maybe try something that isn't LRM, KD, and Core :iiam:

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Rygar201 posted:

Just take lights as is, and challenge yourself. Maybe try something that isn't LRM, KD, and Core :iiam:

Large lasers only.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Xae posted:

Large lasers only.

That's like Beat Dark Souls Using DDR Pad or something

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

A hard tonnage limit would just force the choice between a light + an assault + some mediums vs 4 mediums or whatever which is a much more interesting choice than 4 assaults or everything else which is less optimal than 4 assaults. Its a clear hurdle that you have to think around which is why it has so much appeal.

It also got vetoed by the developers so this is all just cheap talk anyways, I agree with their approach of making stomping around the map as 4 assaults optimal only some of the time but still an option

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

It is nice to see the Spheroids learning to appreciate the efficient beauty of Batchall though :allears: