Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Deku is far more powerful than any of the villains he's faced so far. The problem is that he isn't skilled or conditioned enough to use OfA without injury. It's a subtle difference, but MHA is about Deku becoming worthy of the gift he's received instead of simply proving to everyone how special he is (Bakugou). Izuku was a nothing doomed to a irrelevant life until All Might noticed him. That's why I'm hoping the plight of the powerless is the main theme of a future story arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

CharlestheHammer posted:

The 1,000,000 kind of solidifies just how typical Shonen protagonist he is.

Which is fine MHA isn’t exactly treading new ground. It’s a by the books Shonen in a time when there really isn’t any good by the books shonen around. Especially on TV, were your choices are One piece and black clover which are trainwrecks.

Whoever says MHA isn't typical shonen is a dumb baby who just wants a thing he likes to be something original. MHA doesn't tread much in the way of new ground (outside of the super hero theme adopted straight from Marvel) but it is a shonen done well, which is a relief after 10 years of terrible garbage.

Well, some terrible garbage and some other fun stuff sprinkled in between. MHA's main attraction is that it hasn't lost the drive that begun it yet.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

MHA is defined more by execution and charisma than originality IMO - and that's a perfectly fine thing to be.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

Whoever says MHA isn't typical shonen is a dumb baby who just wants a thing he likes to be something original. MHA doesn't tread much in the way of new ground (outside of the super hero theme adopted straight from Marvel) but it is a shonen done well, which is a relief after 10 years of terrible garbage.

Well, some terrible garbage and some other fun stuff sprinkled in between. MHA's main attraction is that it hasn't lost the drive that begun it yet.

I agree that MHA is a (very well executed) traditional shonen. I just don't agree that Deku is a standard shonen protagonist.

Too smart, too socially awkward, too much in the way of consequences for his self-destructive tendencies. I'd say that in 1-A, Kirishima's closer to the traditional model. Book dumb, befriends everyone he meets, primarily powered by sheer dumb stubborn. (To be fair, sheer dumb stubborn is one of the primary items on UA's curriculum.) What's neat about Deku is that he manages to execute the necessary standard shonen hero beats while displaying a fairly different personality.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Vinylshadow posted:

I like that MHA did what Dragon Ball Super did

"Welp, the enemy is out of my league. Better just hit him harder."

"Holy crap it worked."

When does Deku get One for All God One for All?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Spiritus Nox posted:

MHA is defined more by execution and charisma than originality IMO - and that's a perfectly fine thing to be.

Yeah, essentially. I will say though that there seems to be a big focus on authoritative figures being inexperienced and making wrong decisions. All Might almost feels like a secondary protagonist since he's coming to terms with losing his power, and is also very afraid of messing up as both Deku's mentor and as a teacher at UA. Deku's flashback with his mother explicitly being "you said the wrong thing to me that day" and her working through that to be a more supportive mother is also one.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Judging by this thread the 1,000,000% complainers only watch anime because they can't read. :(

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Deku is insanely typical Shonen protagonist. Socially awkward, makes snap downright dumb decisions but in a fight is rather good at tactical poo poo. Makes a lot of friendship speeches or true hero speeches which are basically the same. The only real difference is we get more insight into his though process while most shonen intentionally hide it so it can be a reveal.

Deku is the platonic ideal of the shonen protagonist.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

It says a lot about people who don’t think Naruto, Goku and Luffy are socially awkward

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Asta, Luffy, and Naruto are more of the "loud and pretty dumb" school of shounen protagonists.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Deku isn't a carbon copy of naruto but I can't say he's a terribly unique or distinctive character either

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Arrgytehpirate posted:

It says a lot about people who don’t think Naruto, Goku and Luffy are socially awkward

that's more social obliviousness

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Deku is A Very Good Boy and I admire his simplicity and earnestness and I will not tolerate those who impugn his honor.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Most shonen protagonists have a brashness that Deku completely lacks. Normal Deku is mumbly and reserved. Deku is only dumb and brash when it comes to saving people. His desire to do good is just that loving strong. Naruto, Goku and Luffy are dumb and brash all the time. Bakugo is the is the one that's headstrong and brash like a typical shonen protag, but it isn't tempered by that standard dumb kindness.

Basically, Deku and Bakugo are the platonic ideal of a shonen protag split into two people.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Spiritus Nox posted:

Deku is A Very Good Boy and I admire his simplicity and earnestness and I will not tolerate those who impugn his honor.

No one is insulting him. He is perfect for what MHA is.

A by the books protagonist for a by the book series.

Having a more complex or different shonen character just wouldn’t work.

The series needs a generic Shonen protagonist to function

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 00:20 on May 8, 2018

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

ninjewtsu posted:

Deku isn't a carbon copy of naruto but I can't say he's a terribly unique or distinctive character either

He's an awkward social outcast who dreams of becoming the strongest magical super powered person. Initially gets by on pluck and determination to make up for lack of talent and finesse but not for lack of inheriting the strongest power in the world that he can tap into at a moment's notice at great personal risk.

I really like MHA in a way Naruto never even came close to, but I'd never say it's the most original thing in the world. Horikoshi just knows how to structure and pace the story in a way that's both refreshing and impactful.

Also for real, Deku is a great character and a good boy.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 00:49 on May 8, 2018

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

none of this matters because we al know the real protagonist is tokoyami

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

White bread is good sometimes, if it's well made.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Tokoyami is pretty boring

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Shere posted:

He's an awkward social outcast who dreams of becoming the strongest magical super powered person. Initially gets by on pluck and determination to make up for lack of talent and finesse but not for lack of inheriting the strongest power in the world that he can tap into at a moment's notice at great personal risk.

I really like MHA in a way Naruto never even came close to, but I'd never say it's the most original thing in the world. Horikoshi just knows how to structure and pace the story in a way that's both refreshing and impactful.

I mean, I'm not going to argue that Deku is some breathtakingly original or even super-deep character or anything, but I think calling him Green Naruto is a bit of a disservice. He's a lot quieter and more introspective than what I remember of Naruto (though to be fair I didn't ever really go past the Chuunin Exam arc), more concerned with other people, and less ostracized, especially after he makes it to UA where it's really only Bakugo who doesn't basically like the guy. His ambitions are a lot more outwardly focused, too - Naruto wanted to become Hokage at least in part to demand the respect of people who had ostracized him. It was at least partially a selfish thing. Deku, meanwhile, just straight up wants to help and inspire people for no real remarkable reason beyond having a good upbringing and people who inspired him.

Like I said, there's a purity to Deku that I kind of admire, especially given how charismatic the story as a whole is.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Holy poo poo that guy has started this stupid rear end argument after literally every episode so far this season please stop

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

ninjewtsu posted:

Tokoyami is pretty boring

you WHAT

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
MHA is pretty good.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

boredom in the dark

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

fool_of_sound posted:

Holy poo poo that guy has started this stupid rear end argument after literally every episode so far this season please stop

Lol you believe goons will ever let things go.

We could talk about 1,000,000 or whatever.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

banquet of bad posts

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Let's talk about how Tetsutetsu is really cool.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Rhonne posted:

Let's talk about how Tetsutetsu is really cool.

His name is also the most fun to say out of anyone in the entire series.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
It's also the only one besides Deku I can remember.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

He's not bad for a discount Kirishima

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

He's not bad for a discount Kirishima

Even a discount Kirishima is pretty great. And given that Kirishima is a discount Crimson Riot, Crimson Riot is, by the transitive property, really loving rad.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Tetsutetsu and Kirishima should form a hero team called the Hardy Boys.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I wanted a full episode of their internship.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Tetsutetsu took like three bullets to the dome he's metal as gently caress

I said what I said

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Deku is like Peter Parker. Naruto is that loving kid.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Mordaedil posted:

Deku is like Peter Parker.

Yeah. I've been thinking on my own recently that Deku reminds me a lot of Tom Holland's Peter Parker in particular.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Has this been posted yet?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USmrzeyn9Ro
A fan remix of the anime opening and full version.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
The openings for this show have always been super skippable but this season doesn't even have a good ending.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Which is weird because both groups involved this season have made good openings and endings previously.

They seem to be a fan of more light poppy/rocky stuff for the openings. I keep hoping for something like Jam Project or Man With A Mission or One OK Rock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Jackard posted:

The openings for this show have always been super skippable

Out of everything posted in this thread, this managed to be the Most Wrong. That's... incredible, honestly.