Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Crowsbeak posted:

Wasn't Swampland a member?

Yeah, he posted them in the RWM thread iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Lawman 0 posted:

I thought they did mix pretty well though?
Like how a bunch of Turks are actually greeks

The case of conquering nomadic hordes leaving much in the way of genetic footprints has always been extremely rare. They usually melt into the sedentary populations they take over, and/or self segregate in warrior castes.
What usually happens is their culture/language/religion takes hold and the conquered populations adapt it (or the reverse but in Anatolia it was the former).
Most modern day Turk's ancestors would not have come from Central Asia or whatever, but would have been Greeks, Armenians, Kurds, and whatever other little ethnicities were running around the joint.
Point being, the ancestry of the region would basically be mostly continuous, the same old thing. With cultural identity change being the main thing going on. And this is true of most Old World history.

tldr: People in that area have always looked the way they do now.

Grape has issued a correction as of 00:10 on May 8, 2018

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

fool_of_sound posted:

Septimus Severus is distinctly dark skinned in at least one surviving portrait.

He's believed to have been half Italian and half Punic (now Tunisian), which would make him as white as Barack Obama.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

chitoryu12 posted:

He's believed to have been half Italian and half Punic (now Tunisian), which would make him as white as Barack Obama.

Italians and Tunisians don't exactly look hugely different from each-other lol.
It's silly even in the modern day to draw bold racial lines through the Mediterranean, let alone in Roman times when it really was a unified world.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

chitoryu12 posted:

Based on how his hair is depicted in his statue I always imagined him looking a bit like Ghadaffi.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

chitoryu12 posted:

Punic were white, you know that right.

well the same white as Italian.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

CharlestheHammer posted:

Punic were white, you know that right.

well the same white as Italian.

His wife in the picture is of Arab descent....

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

chitoryu12 posted:

I’m the son hated so bad that they literally scratched my face out of the family portrait

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
https://twitter.com/inthesedeserts/status/993645391445970944

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Crowsbeak posted:

His wife in the picture is of Arab descent....

I’m aware of Julia, I don’t particularly see the relevance.

they aren’t related in any way thank god.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

im the degenerate drill rap

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Ripoff posted:

I’m the son hated so bad that they literally scratched my face out of the family portrait

Septimius Severus' first son murdered the second son and instituted damnatio memoriae because he was a big bullying PoS

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

CharlestheHammer posted:

I’m aware of Julia, I don’t particularly see the relevance.

they aren’t related in any way thank god.

If you notice the Fresco painter showed him to be much darker then his wife...

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Septimius Severus' first son murdered the second son and instituted damnatio memoriae because he was a big bullying PoS

They both were.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
me and my two round sons

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
national review's got some hot takes on donald glover's "this is america" music video

‘This Is America’ Is the New Minstrel Show

quote:

So far, few Internet fans have seen through Glover’s pageant of destruction and paranoia. Nor have many realized that it represents the worst kind of manipulation — a strangely self-conscious version of a blackface Jim Crow coon-show that embarrasses black culture’s politically enlightened history.

Glover sweeps his audience, hip-hop fans as well as other pop-culture followers, back into a “safe space.” It’s not Kanye West’s eccentric freedom of thought but Millennial groupthink and its attendant anxiety

Director Hiro Murai suppresses his own Japanese-immigrant knowledge within the artifices of music videos that appropriate urban black experience for the pretense of emotional authenticity.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Crowsbeak posted:

If you notice the Fresco painter showed him to be much darker then his wife...

They both were.

we don’t know anything about Julia and her appearance.

we don’t even know how far back her Arab line goes. it could be a 1/32 Cherokee thing as far as we know

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

lol i guess armound white, king of awful movie takes, has expanded into music

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

CharlestheHammer posted:

we don’t know anything about Julia and her appearance.

we don’t even know how far back her Arab line goes. it could be a 1/32 Cherokee thing as far as we know

The fact that her family was noted for it's arab descent and she came from a hereditary line of priests for baal however...

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

StashAugustine posted:

it really is him

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Crowsbeak posted:

The fact that her family was noted for it's arab descent and she came from a hereditary line of priests for baal however...

in a Roman province yes my point exactly. there isn’t much info to go on.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Darkman Fanpage posted:

national review's got some hot takes on donald glover's "this is america" music video

nr just wanted to publish an article with the phrase 'coon-show' didn't they

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Office Pig posted:

nr just wanted to publish an article with the phrase 'coon-show' didn't they

Without checking, I'd say that there's a 300% chance that all of their articles contain some variation on the phrase.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

His takes have really degraded into old man ramblings, I read two of his recent movie reviews and he was haranguing about antifa corrupting the youth in both of them

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
he thinks david hogg is a crisis actor and that obama pimped his daughter out to weinstein

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos

rudatron posted:

there was a lot of contrariainism in the 90s i think about the civil war, where the 'woke' position (or the equivalent thereof) was to suggest that the situation was more complex than just slavery -- doing so was supposed to signal your literacy on teh subject. it was the point of a simpson gag involving apu, which was supposed to demonstrate that apu was over-qualified for citizenship:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Q--iGgtRn8

In the 90's it was woke to suggest that profit motivated the North, not a drive to be great liberators or a love for the blacks.

and its true

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Darkman Fanpage posted:

These fuckos never had a thing to say, or a thought to spare, toward Kanye West's music one way or the other until the precise moment he started posting dumb chud crap on twitter lol.
(also spoiler for conservatives: Kanye West lyrically is mostly hilariously dumb, he's generally lauded as a producer and an enjoyable over the top rockstar personality, you might not want to pose him as anything remotely approaching an intellectual icon :thumbsup: )

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

i keep it 300, like the romans

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.

Grape posted:

(also spoiler for conservatives: Kanye West lyrically is mostly hilariously dumb, he's generally lauded as a producer and an enjoyable over the top rockstar personality, you might not want to pose him as anything remotely approaching an intellectual icon :thumbsup: )

ummm excuse me you're clearly not a genius so you clearly can't recognize genius and also the emperor is wearing some mighty fine clothes today

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

StashAugustine posted:

i keep it 300, like the romans

My God... We should've known...

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ripoff posted:

the best voice is Mark Levin who is such a loser that a voice actor who literally made up a stupid voice for a dense, idiotic cartoon character beat Mark Levin to his game by six loving years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYz0RaZSMsA

mark levin isn’t even cool enough to sound like himself, he is literally a parody of a cartoon
I know I'm just repeating a Chapo joke at this point, but Jordan Peterson is in the same boat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sp3wTXYoCCg

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2018/05/godaddy-has-shut-down-richard-spencers-white-supremacist-site/

quote:

Domain registrar GoDaddy has stopped providing domain-registration service to altright.com, knocking the hate site offline. The site was the brainchild of Richard Spencer, the white supremacist who coined the term "alt right" to describe white nationalist beliefs. GoDaddy made the decision last Thursday, days after the Lawyer's Committee for Civil Rights sent GoDaddy a letter asking for the site to be shut down.

"Altright.com is in clear violation of GoDaddy's terms of service as it includes content actively inciting violence, particularly against racial and ethnic minorities," the group wrote in a late April letter.

lol get hosed Spencer.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/993849403353026561

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Shamelessly stolen from the replies; when you no-platform yourself

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert

Darkman Fanpage posted:

I knew who the author was before even clicking it. Sad!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Every Armond White article should have the headline “Gay Black Man Eagerly Waits Each Day to be Loaded into Ovens.”

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

good. they should hang out with kanye more.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/HarrisonCLee/status/993891898787057664

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Darkman Fanpage posted:

good. they should hang out with kanye more.

the right falling into disrepair because they made the exact same celebrity-chasing mistakes that dems made for the past decade+ is just

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corny
Feb 18, 2006

i am scared
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4hZn_i-2nI

watch the whole loving thing because what the gently caress