Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

What I truly want though is the locust to be useful to the endgame though, because if they manage that, the theme of pilots randomly getting hosed in a meatgrinder comes back into play and creates all sorts of interesting stories as a result, similar to OG xcom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

NmareBfly posted:

The problem is ‘power’ doesn’t equate exactly to ‘fun.’ Some people prefer to have units that can cover lots of ground really fast instead of lumber forward then alpha strike. Maybe the ‘fun’ comes from high risk high reward backstabs and lots of ducking and weaving. Assaults are only so much better because the game is balanced to make them so.

They basically need a ton of the gear that just doesn't exist in game in this era to have lights progress in power past trivial speedbumps to a player, or ineffective precision strikers to the AI.

The stock spider in this game? Eh, whatever. The equivalent of the TT spider with a partial wing and Nimble Jumper that can force a minimum +5 to hit mod against it? God tier forever. (Or, for as long as the AI doesn't get similarly maxed level pilots with max + accuracy gear and tarcomps).

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Rygar201 posted:

It is nice to see the Spheroids learning to appreciate the efficient beauty of Batchall though :allears:

In the end the Inner Sphere acquiesced to the Clans not because of their superior mechwarriors but because people were sick of all the Lyran scouting lances in every mission.

But seriously a large part of the problem is that this game just represents a single lance in short missions. This has no room for some of the logistics or other factors that can favor lights and mediums.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
I don't think limits for players are enough. Mission load outs & economics have to be different, too. A single light isn't going be much fun when you're facing an assault lance backed up by a full lance of 80t tanks.
(Maybe equal weight in lights would be fun, though)

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Missions where speed is more important than firepower and durability should be a given for any "I want to keep fast movers on my roster forever" of course.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
What does Bulwark even represent? Your pilot is so personally tough that his mech's armor responds to lasers differently?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

StringOfLetters posted:

I found a way to get good mileage out of a 55 ton Shadow Hawk, pretty late in the game when I've got more assault mechs than I can use. A cheap Light or Medium mech is an overpriced coffin, but a fully equipped one is kinda useful. The pilot wants to have the Piloting skill. The extra evasion bip is necessary, and the higher-rank piloting nub that gives +1 max evasion is even better. A Rangefinder is a very good piece to put in the head spot. Rangefinders++' go up to +100m spot distance, but even the basic +25m ones will let you out-spot the opposition. Jump Jets are also mandatory. When you get any, a Gyro to stick into its torso that adds + Hit Difficulty, basically functions the same way as permanent extra evasion bips. A Shadow Hawk who spends its turn Jumping, who gets 5 evasion bips, who is even harder to hit with the evasion Gyro, will have such a low hit percentage - enemies will only shoot at it when it's the only mech in range, and they'll usually miss.

I gave mine 2x SRM6 and a M'Laser. It can deal a decent chunk of stability damage, it can gently caress up anything with an exposed section, and it's mobile enough to get pretty much whatever angle it wants on the enemy. The pilot is a Tactics 2 / Pilot 1, which is most useful when you take into account all of the things it can do. A Shadow Hawk with maxed JJ's and hot SRM's is going to overheat a lot. The Tactics 1 ability, Sensor Thing, is what you use on turns when you have too much heat for a full salvo, or when you are spotting something on the other side of a wall, and all three of your other assault mech pals have a LRM to follow it up with. (Shooting 8 ability 'Breaching Shot' with a LRM20 makes the first couple of long-range sensor-contact rounds verrry useful. Don't plink a pile of 2-damage missiles into something that's using Cover, pair your spotter with a skilled Shooter. One LRM is all you need for sensor-range fights, and then punchier direct-fire weaponry when it gets to visual range. The sandpaper-esque damage distribution doesn't look impressive by itself, but it does meaningfully soften poo poo up before it closes with you.)

I run one very similar except it's an AC/5 instead of the Medium Laser. I use it as a spotter and jump-in assassin on downed mechs.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

I love that so many people in this thread both hate the Clans and are also mad that sometime the enemies field a larger force than indicated before the mission starts, as well as want incentives to field lighter Mechs than they have to.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Rygar201 posted:

I love that so many people in this thread both hate the Clans and are also mad that sometime the enemies field a larger force than indicated before the mission starts, as well as want incentives to field lighter Mechs than they have to.

:eyepop:

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Flavius Belisarius posted:

What does Bulwark even represent? Your pilot is so personally tough that his mech's armor responds to lasers differently?

think of it like they're spending all the thought they would have used to move instead constantly subconsciously angling just right to have those autocannon shells glance off or bobbing and weaving so that lasers don't have enough dwell time in one spot to do full damage.

e:

Rygar201 posted:

also this owns tbh

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

TBH I have a lot more fun playing my sandbox mod with a lance of lights and one or two mediums doing 1-2 skull contracts than I do a bunch of assaults and heavies.

I wish that phase of the game lasted longer in the actual story mode, but thats why I made that mod.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

So just started playing the game and absolutely loving it so far, but is Glitch supposed to be a complete murder machine out of the box?

I just got the dropship and I swear Glitch has killed like 15 mechs so far :stare:

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Glitch has the highest gunnery and landing hits on the swarms of made-of-glass lights is one thing that leads to another, so...

Pretty quick everyone will be just as proficient, though.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Rygar201 posted:

Yeah, but we're not furries.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Rygar201 posted:

And whatever it is they want, it had better be optimal

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

What's the deal with how some assassination missions have the target backed up by a spotter on top of reinforcements/ambushes? It's not listed in the objectives as a target and doesn't count toward any of them and no one seems to ever mention it, but like half the time the target will just have some locust or spider hanging out with it.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I really want another Gauss Rifle to appear somehow. I know it won't, but I'm having visions of a dual-Gauss King Crab just murdering everything. Speaking of, Crabs: 2 AC-20s, JJs, and...? I really don't know what to add to that loadout though I want to.

I'm using a Stalker LRMboat, the SLDF Highlander that I just switched to 2 LRM-20s and the Gauss that I might switch back to a more midrange/bracket set-up, and currently a scout Grasshopper that switches between 3 loadouts because they keep getting blown up, but I'm looking for suggestions on another mech as well.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Flavius Belisarius posted:

They know how to torso-twist a la mwo. Non-bulwark is a pubbie who stares you down and lets you core him, bulwark is someone who knows how to spread damage and get the most out of their mech. Maybe a bit of fancy footwork.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I threw my glitch in the bin because I levelled her badly. Replaced with some Ronin.

Also I think adding the ecm suites might help lights, like letting them fire indirect weapons to unconfirmed targets might help.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Flipswitch posted:

I threw my glitch in the bin because I levelled her badly. Replaced with some Ronin.

Also I think adding the ecm suites might help lights, like letting them fire indirect weapons to unconfirmed targets might help.
Finally, a way to make AI Locusts land random headhits on me even faster.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Flipswitch posted:

oh man, imagine C3 Ravens spotting for your LRM spam... Go from 50% of your missiles hitting at extreme range to 95%

Perma-evasion from Guardian ECM

Massively increased spotting ranges with Beagle Active Probe

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
People want lighter mechs to remain relevant because it makes for a more interesting tactical game than a slow mosh between a bunch of 3/5 gunboats with maybe the odd 4/6 jumpy gunboat mixed in.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Ravenfood posted:

I really want another Gauss Rifle to appear somehow. I know it won't, but I'm having visions of a dual-Gauss King Crab just murdering everything. Speaking of, Crabs: 2 AC-20s, JJs, and...? I really don't know what to add to that loadout though I want to.

I'm using a Stalker LRMboat, the SLDF Highlander that I just switched to 2 LRM-20s and the Gauss that I might switch back to a more midrange/bracket set-up, and currently a scout Grasshopper that switches between 3 loadouts because they keep getting blown up, but I'm looking for suggestions on another mech as well.

There's a mod out there that adds SLDF stuff to the shops. 'Mechs too.

And thank you, that's a great idea. it's time stop playing Citizen Snips with AC/20s.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
What was that other pilot that shares Glitch's voice lines? Might need a spare.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Tarezax posted:

oh man, imagine C3 Ravens spotting for your LRM spam... Go from 50% of your missiles hitting at extreme range to 95%

Perma-evasion from Guardian ECM

Massively increased spotting ranges with Beagle Active Probe
All of my missiles have 95% accuracy at pretty much all times, tbh. There's a +missile accuracy TTS that weighs maybe 2 tons and gives +2 to accuracy. You'll never, ever miss.

e

SpookyLizard posted:

There's a mod out there that adds SLDF stuff to the shops. 'Mechs too.
Where could I find one? I have no idea how to mod this game.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Conspiratiorist posted:

What was that other pilot that shares Glitch's voice lines? Might need a spare.

Spenthia uses glitches voice.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Ravenfood posted:

All of my missiles have 95% accuracy at pretty much all times, tbh. There's a +missile accuracy TTS that weighs maybe 2 tons and gives +2 to accuracy. You'll never, ever miss.

e
Where could I find one? I have no idea how to mod this game.

https://www.reddit.com/r/BattleTechMods/comments/8frbbn/mod_releaselostech_in_shops/

Gotcha.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Argas posted:

In the end the Inner Sphere acquiesced to the Clans not because of their superior mechwarriors but because people were sick of all the Lyran scouting lances in every mission.

But seriously a large part of the problem is that this game just represents a single lance in short missions. This has no room for some of the logistics or other factors that can favor lights and mediums.

It's hard to represent the in-universe explanation for a small mercenary company in the rear end end of nowhere to keep using that one locust they have, which is that there isn't a replacement so they use what they have. It's pretty easy after a few missions to get several replacement mechs in the game, but usually it would be harder.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
I had Big Sly make a Tremors reference!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

SLDF tech doesn't get +s so the only good poo poo is really the Gauss Rifle and DHS

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

seaborgium posted:

It's hard to represent the in-universe explanation for a small mercenary company in the rear end end of nowhere to keep using that one locust they have, which is that there isn't a replacement so they use what they have. It's pretty easy after a few missions to get several replacement mechs in the game, but usually it would be harder.

Well, since your Rating Board is also zero, I like to think that there were about three years of paperwork and bureaucracy to wait on as well as finalizing the Raiders old commander's records and remains before you took ownership of the company and started dropping.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Eej posted:

SLDF tech doesn't get +s so the only good poo poo is really the Gauss Rifle and DHS
Yeah, that's pretty much all I was hoping for, tbh. I wanted some long-range weapons that weren't LRMs. Gauss Rifles fit the bill, and DHS should help make PPCs a little more viable as well.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Eej posted:

Modding the damage and heat values to something more in line with the + weapons is simple as opening a text editor and changing a couple clearly labeled values.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Well, since your Rating Board is also zero, I like to think that there were about three years of paperwork and bureaucracy to wait on as well as finalizing the Raiders old commander's records and remains before you took ownership of the company and started dropping.

Plus you're stuck in debt so excess cash and salvage goes into debt servicing rather than upgrading your company

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Galaga Galaxian posted:

TBH I have a lot more fun playing my sandbox mod with a lance of lights and one or two mediums doing 1-2 skull contracts than I do a bunch of assaults and heavies.

I wish that phase of the game lasted longer in the actual story mode, but thats why I made that mod.

I have been having so much fun with this. I am using Galaga's sandbox mod and I have JK's Variants in the campaign now. Starting off with a Cicada, Commando, Panther and a two Locusts has made picking a contract a serious consideration. Damage is brutal and fast, because everything has so little armour. Mechs with PPC's and AC/5's are really scary as they can expose or even destroy a torso in a hit. Enemy Medium mechs are terrifying right now.

There is a real sense of progress as you slowly acquire the money and parts to upgrade your starting lance, and work towards adding new mechs to your team. I really love the light/medium play in this game.

My locust has the most kills in my company so far.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Ultimately, the issue comes down to the basic framework of the game. Without changing that, you're never going to get your "lights stay relevant" wish bar never advancing the storyline and taking the easy missions forever.

The problem is a combination of only ever being able to field one lance, combined with more skulls on the mission meaning precisely one thing only - higher tonnage enemies with more elite pilots. Like, in universe a difficult mission could be something like being dropped on an occupied planet to run a guerrilla campaign - in that case running faster mechs actually makes some sense, given you'd want hit and fade tactics combined with garrisons not necessarily consisting entirely of super elite pilots in assault mechs (that'd be something you'd want to avoid). But within the context of this game this is frankly impossible to have. And (bar some huge tech difference, like a Firemoth D against an IS Assault of this era) engaging an Assault lance with a scout lance SHOULD be suicidal, but the game requires you to do so if you're taking light mechs into a difficult mission.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
I really am stuck on my Mechwarrior Mercenaries mech design. A Catapult doesn't look like that!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Rygar201 posted:

:stare: :golfclap:

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Clearly, goons were clanners all along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I started trying out some AC-2 instead of just relying on LRM 20 spamming. It seems....okay? I dunno if I'm not far enough that they're actually okay to use over a billion M lasers yet.

I just finished the mission where I have a time limit to kill a dropship building for reference.