Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
Looks like something out of Halo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I think it looks more like a puma.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Platystemon posted:

I appreciate you.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Platystemon posted:

You made that up.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Platystemon posted:

:chanpop:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Platystemon posted:

You magnificent bastard.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Platystemon posted:

:perfect:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Is a RvB all it takes to get a reaction like that?

Wait, what?! 2003? gently caress.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Yeah. We're all loving old.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

RvB predates YouTube. We shared that poo poo at LAN parties because there was no social media to link everyone to.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I watched it with friends on DEE VEE DEE. Physical media for essentially video game shitposts.

Imagine having the bluray box set of project binky or roadkill- wait no that would own

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

iwentdoodie posted:

Yeah. We're all loving old.

If you were born before Christmas Day, 1981, the date of your birth is closer to the end of the Second World War than to the present day.

Before 20 January 1988: closer to the flight of Sputnik than to the present day

Before 13 February 1991: closer to the JFK assassination than to the present day

Before 13 December 1993: closer to the Moon landing than to the present day

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

xzzy posted:

RvB predates YouTube. We shared that poo poo at LAN parties because there was no social media to link everyone to.

Going to 250+ person LAN parties at the local community college, hauling my CRT and my tower computer (that had a moulded plastic handle on top) and all assorted accouterments. Getting everything set up at my station, watching them fumble with the actual LAN part of the LAN party, buying BAWLS soda at the counter, having the breakers trip multiple times in the conference center, and downloading pirated copies of Quake III. Playing Halo PC with mods on that let you fly Ghosts or made tank rounds come out of the sniper rifle. Having the inverter for my :pcgaming: neon purple cold cathode tubes melt itself. Spending all night trying to connect to that one guy's PC that had a massive 1TB of storage (spread out over like 18 hard drives in a gigantic cube-shaped case that needed and entire circuit branch), only to download some hardsubbed copies of Chobits and Naruto. I never watched Naruto, it was only what I could access. At around midnight they start the "chubby bunny" contests with gallons of milk and hostess Sno Balls (it had "balls" in the name, you see), and then cancelling the competition because a kid choked so badly on some that they had to call an ambulance. The 4x projector 4x xbox setup for Halo getting used to watch RvB, with one of the xboxes set up with wireless INFRARED headphones, and another one of the xboxes playing modded SNES games and increasingly risque videos and getting shut down by the admins. Getting burnt out around midnight and scrawling my "game icon" in the paint in the bathroom stall. Some kid caught masturbating in the corner and getting booted. Calling my dad at 6AM the next day to come pick me up. Having to wait for him because he wants to actually, you know, sleep on his only day off in two months, and sitting on the corner with my PC and monitor and rubbermaid tub of accessories, and watching the HS kids coming in at 7 to take the ACT/SAT.

Holy poo poo I'd nearly completely forgotten.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Platystemon posted:

If you were born before Christmas Day, 1981, the date of your birth is closer to the end of the Second World War than to the present day.

Nahh gently caress that

gently caress

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Platystemon posted:

NOBODY LIKES YOU.

gently caress i'm old.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Going to 250+ person LAN parties at the local community college, hauling my CRT and my tower computer (that had a moulded plastic handle on top) and all assorted accouterments. Getting everything set up at my station, watching them fumble with the actual LAN part of the LAN party, buying BAWLS soda at the counter, having the breakers trip multiple times in the conference center, and downloading pirated copies of Quake III. Playing Halo PC with mods on that let you fly Ghosts or made tank rounds come out of the sniper rifle. Having the inverter for my :pcgaming: neon purple cold cathode tubes melt itself. Spending all night trying to connect to that one guy's PC that had a massive 1TB of storage (spread out over like 18 hard drives in a gigantic cube-shaped case that needed and entire circuit branch), only to download some hardsubbed copies of Chobits and Naruto. I never watched Naruto, it was only what I could access. At around midnight they start the "chubby bunny" contests with gallons of milk and hostess Sno Balls (it had "balls" in the name, you see), and then cancelling the competition because a kid choked so badly on some that they had to call an ambulance. The 4x projector 4x xbox setup for Halo getting used to watch RvB, with one of the xboxes set up with wireless INFRARED headphones, and another one of the xboxes playing modded SNES games and increasingly risque videos and getting shut down by the admins. Getting burnt out around midnight and scrawling my "game icon" in the paint in the bathroom stall. Some kid caught masturbating in the corner and getting booted. Calling my dad at 6AM the next day to come pick me up. Having to wait for him because he wants to actually, you know, sleep on his only day off in two months, and sitting on the corner with my PC and monitor and rubbermaid tub of accessories, and watching the HS kids coming in at 7 to take the ACT/SAT.

Holy poo poo I'd nearly completely forgotten.

I ran the LAN club at my highschool. We basically did exactly this, and because it was the early 2000s we somehow managed to get some sponsorship from AMD and some energy drink companies. I think we raffled off a few processors and other junk. What an age to be alive.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I was never into PC gaming, my school had a LAN club and they were the really, REALLY weird kids. Like the "clearly didn't shower every day" kids. A few of us were interested and went to one of the in school meetings and man, it was just super uncomfortable.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Man it really was great. I was able to sneak into UTs LAN party crew and they were really the stereotypical anime watching, Halo playing, Bawls drinking keyboard warriors. My highschool had a sponsorshop from Dell and Apple so I was able to score incredible amount of parts through my teachers.

Edit: we all showered.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

MetaJew posted:

highschool... ...early 2000s

drat whippersnappers, get off my lawn, cut your hair, get a job!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
What really sucked is the school thought "this LAN thing" was gonna be huge and spent a ton of money on hardware and only those 4 or 5 dudes were ever in there. I think it got broken up the year after i graduated because one of the kids stole and sold a bunch of poo poo.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Wasabi the J posted:

Edit: we all showered.

Uh huh...

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Look, I won't lie, we were teens in the Austin so theres only so much you can do against hormones and humidity, but dammit I went through a bottle of AXE DRAGON FUCKER BODY WASH every two weeks so I definitely showered.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
<rolls eyes at all you youngsters>

I landed on the delivery-room table before man landed on the moon.

And much like NASA, that was kinda the peak of the whole affair.

:smith:

Meanwhile, various unrelated stuff:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
This is awesome car stuff right here.

https://twitter.com/DougStanhope/status/991831682033438721

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ygolonac posted:

Closer to the American Indian Wars than to the present day.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 07:25 on May 8, 2018

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

https://i.imgur.com/rdP6WTr.gifv

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Ygolonac posted:

poo poo. So did I.

But they say you are as young as the woman you hold so......

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

What is this gorgeous thing?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Alfa romeo 6C 2300

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
looks like an alfa

e:fb

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Dune buggy glitter paint will never not be gorgeous to me :allears:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

The startling thing is that RvB is still going.

As far as LAN parties, I could never afford a decent gaming box back then (college, didn't live at home), but I had a buddy that ran the network for the Cyberathlete Professional League back when they got started here in Dallas (1997 - Jesus Christ. I think I was involved closer to 2000, because I remember Fatal1ty winning it all), so I got into the competitions for free by volunteering to help him out building the network. The BYOC network was the most impressive ad-hoc network I've ever seen. So much free Bawlz. I still have a couple of those unique blue bottles somewhere.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Darchangel posted:

As far as LAN parties, I could never afford a decent gaming box back then (college, didn't live at home), but I had a buddy that ran the network for the Cyberathlete Professional League back when they got started here in Dallas (1997 - Jesus Christ. I think I was involved closer to 2000, because I remember Fatal1ty winning it all), so I got into the competitions for free by volunteering to help him out building the network. The BYOC network was the most impressive ad-hoc network I've ever seen. So much free Bawlz. I still have a couple of those unique blue bottles somewhere.

Oh hey, I might've been at the same thing. I went down to Quakecon in 2001 and 2002 (maybe 2003 as well?), I remember watching Fatal1ty play. Drove down to DFW with friends from high school (from Minnesota), 20 hours straight stopping only for gas because stupid kids. Carting around my goddamned 2' tall Inwin case and 19" CRT, the BO smell of the convention center, all the free nerd swag and Bawls... good times. I do remember that had to get progressively larger generators because the power draw was so high breakers kept blowing.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Darchangel posted:

The startling thing is that RvB is still going.

Texas was like the place for gaming back then, jesus. I played on a cluster out of Texas called Thunderdome or something; the Quake 3 servers were filled with really good guys and the CS servers were frequented by CK3/3D and some other big name clans. Feels like a long, long time ago.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

boxen posted:

Oh hey, I might've been at the same thing. I went down to Quakecon in 2001 and 2002 (maybe 2003 as well?), I remember watching Fatal1ty play. Drove down to DFW with friends from high school (from Minnesota), 20 hours straight stopping only for gas because stupid kids. Carting around my goddamned 2' tall Inwin case and 19" CRT, the BO smell of the convention center, all the free nerd swag and Bawls... good times. I do remember that had to get progressively larger generators because the power draw was so high breakers kept blowing.

I only made it a couple year, and I don't remember which years. Entirely possible. The CPL gave up in like 2005, and sold the name to some Asian company.
Quakecon still happens here, I think.

BlackMK4 posted:

Texas was like the place for gaming back then, jesus. I played on a cluster out of Texas called Thunderdome or something; the Quake 3 servers were filled with really good guys and the CS servers were frequented by CK3/3D and some other big name clans. Feels like a long, long time ago.

I miss Quake 3 Arena, despite never being particularly good at it. Quake Champions isn't terrible, but I don't PC game much.

edit: yep, QuakeCon is till a thing, and it's still in Dallas: http://www.quakecon.org
edit2: 1998 is the only year that QuakeCon was co-hosted with the CPL event.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 18:11 on May 8, 2018

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Gloom is the greatest mod ever made.

Fight me. :colbert:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You mean Lithium for Quake 2, right?

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum
You mean Renegades for Starsiege: Tribes, right?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

antimatt posted:

You mean Renegades for Starsiege: Tribes, right?

Oh man that was a great mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

This is loving incredible