Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Every time I've parked at the hotel at GenCon I've only been charged for one night, 3 times in a row now. I will lease this magic free parking aura for $10/day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zalabar
Feb 13, 2012

Yes, he would like fries with that, thank you.
If you're like me and didn't know how to find this magical free parking aura... it's an event. Just search for 'parking.'

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
My hotel is out by the airport, so I got parking from Spothero. Worked well last year.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Pollyanna posted:

Oh well, I hadn’t signed up for any interesting events and I don’t really have a plan for it this year. Maybe next year I’ll bum off of my friend’s apartment in exchange for food and car :v:
Good, you are going!!!

Let this be a reminder that THEY ARE NOT SOLD OUT and PROBABLY WILL NOT UNTIL JULY LIKE LAST YEAR! WOOO! Though you should still all get your badges now.

I say, having as usual not had a badge in time for event registration. But that is different, I have to wait for my volunteer badge to be thrown at me, and I cannot possibly be bothered to buy a fake badge and then return it later just to get in the event queue madness

In other news, GEN-CONNNNNNNNNNNnnnnnnnnn

Conan the Librarian
Mar 1, 2006

I drink zee beer from zee glass but das boring, das boot? ew yeah das more like it keep pouring
Hi fellow goons, I'm not sure how I missed this thread until now as I've been going to Gencon for 4-5 years now, flying out from California each time.

Does anyone else participate in the L5R 4th edition RPG living campaign? It's been a big draw for me each year to make the journey out to Indy.

Also, I'm not sure how this wasn't mentioned earlier in the food section but I've had a wonderful time at Pearings Cafe for great breakfast crepes and coffee each morning of the con.

It looks like I'll need to seek out the goon gathering on Wednesday night as I usually go with a party of teetotalers and responsible drinkers.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.

Conan the Librarian posted:

Hi fellow goons, I'm not sure how I missed this thread until now as I've been going to Gencon for 4-5 years now, flying out from California each time.

Where abouts? I'm on my way from LA.

I've never done the L5R Karo because I'm scared of not knowing what I'm doing, but L5R is my main crush and I'm going to try to sneak in on a 5e FFG demo.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Also, I'm not sure how this wasn't mentioned earlier in the food section but I've had a wonderful time at Pearings Cafe for great breakfast crepes and coffee each morning of the con.

It looks like I'll need to seek out the goon gathering on Wednesday night as I usually go with a party of teetotalers and responsible drinkers.
WELCOME TO THE THREAD, PAL

Also thank you for the Pearings Cafe recommendation; considering how close it is I am shocked I have never heard anyone else talk about it.

Oh and as one of our official Goon Teetotalers clearly I should switch places with you for your party

Helpful re-posting of our Official GroupMe instructions if you dare:

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Oh hey! This thread exists.

I'm mad excited for my first Gencon, where I'll be participating in things such as 13th Age, 13th Age in Glorantha, 13th Age seminars, and probably other things too.

Just Burgs fucked around with this message at 18:32 on May 8, 2018

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

WerrWaaa posted:

Ditto, I just moved out here. I used to be able to drive to Gen Con. :negative:

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Old Dirty Cumburgs posted:

Oh hey! This thread exists.

I'm mad excited for my first Gencon, where I'll be participating in things such as 13th Age, 13th Age in Glorantha, 13th Age seminars, and probably other things too.

We've been playing a 13th Age campaign for about 2 years (with about a year of downtime in there due to members quitting/having jobs/etc) and I really like it. Been playing a gnome Wizard, getting up to gnomish things.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.

Avenging Dentist posted:

Ditto, I just moved out here. I used to be able to drive to Gen Con. :negative:

Oh yeah me too. Indiana is going home for me. And welcome to LA! I game in Pasadena if you're ever looking for people, PM me. Which is why I never hang out with Goons. God bless you, but I've got some old boys to get drunk with and they don't like strangers. I tried to bring them to play games in the goon ballroom last year but they got cold feet.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

OgreNoah posted:

We've been playing a 13th Age campaign for about 2 years (with about a year of downtime in there due to members quitting/having jobs/etc) and I really like it. Been playing a gnome Wizard, getting up to gnomish things.

Rad! I was a pretty early adopter of the system, and its quickly become my favorite, but the tabletop scene where I'm from is pretty limited so if I want to play it, I usually have to run it.

I got really lucky and managed to get a ticket to the "Run by the Creator" 13th Age in Glorantha game with Rob Heinsoo. From what I've seen, he runs some good games.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Forgot about Critical Role tickets going on sale today. Still got them, but man, they're nearly sold out. They'll need to move to a larger venue next year I think.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

WerrWaaa posted:

I game in Pasadena if you're ever looking for people, PM me.

Cool, I've been meaning to head out to Pasadena to check out Game Empire, but haven't had a chance. I haven't gotten all my game stuff unpacked yet, but when I do I'll try and remember to PM you!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Philthy posted:

Forgot about Critical Role tickets going on sale today. Still got them, but man, they're nearly sold out. They'll need to move to a larger venue next year I think.

Which is "bigger", them or Adventure Zone? I know the McElroy's don't do GenCon (though Travis was there last year to walk around a bit) and I'm guessing they're already too big for it.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Which is "bigger", them or Adventure Zone? I know the McElroy's don't do GenCon (though Travis was there last year to walk around a bit) and I'm guessing they're already too big for it.

AFAICT Critical Role wins as an actual play vs. TAZ in popularity, but the whole of the McElroy empire is even bigger. Even my sister listens to Sawbones, for chrissakes.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

https://thehardtimes.net/harddrive/mcelroy-brothers-enjoy-15-non-recorded-minutes/

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

I mean if I had the charisma, brand awareness, and willingness to whore myself AND my family’s interactions for money, I would milk that cow dry also.

I’m more surprised at the staying power, they’ve been doing it for like 5 years or something right? And afaik they don’t have any disgusting personal or political opinions/actions on the record, pretty impressive.

Although I assume that last bit will be corrected shortly.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Is it August yet?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Fellis posted:

I mean if I had the charisma, brand awareness, and willingness to whore myself AND my family’s interactions for money, I would milk that cow dry also.

I’m more surprised at the staying power, they’ve been doing it for like 5 years or something right? And afaik they don’t have any disgusting personal or political opinions/actions on the record, pretty impressive.

Although I assume that last bit will be corrected shortly.
Thank you for helping me remember to look up Milkshake Duck

I have a work buddy (who is a Goon and I apologize if he sees this) who never shuts up about these dudes and goes to their convention every year... though ... yeah now that I think about it he is just like me in every way except replace Gygax with McElroy

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Dr. Quarex posted:

Thank you for helping me remember to look up Milkshake Duck

I have a work buddy (who is a Goon and I apologize if he sees this) who never shuts up about these dudes and goes to their convention every year... though ... yeah now that I think about it he is just like me in every way except replace Gygax with McElroy

Shot! Heaven! Now!

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Honestly, I've never even heard of Adventure Zone until your post. But I don't go out of my way for these things, Crit Role was pointed out to me by a friend and then I was able to "get" all the inside jokes that every D&D player seems to know. Kinda like a room full of Simpsons fans. CR has their own source book and just an absolutely huge fan base is all I know.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I tried to watch one of those Geek & Sundry RPG productions but in 5 minutes it felt super obvious that everyone involved was there for a paycheck and not because they wanted to be. It was like sitting down with a bad GM at Gencon, basically :v:

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Bottom Liner posted:

I tried to watch one of those Geek & Sundry RPG productions but in 5 minutes it felt super obvious that everyone involved was there for a paycheck and not because they wanted to be. It was like sitting down with a bad GM at Gencon, basically :v:

I don't watch any of the other shows. The folks doing CR are all professional voice actors that knew each other and played D&D weekly before someone decided to put them on the air. They get really into the games, and Matt Mercer absolutely has the best freakin voices and acts out all the creatures and NPCs. He often get annoyed at having to do the sponsors at the beginning because he just wants to get the game going. I went from not being able to watch it much, to just being sucked in. The early season 1 stuff is poorly done sound and video wise so I never really was able to get into it easily. If you start with Season 2 you'll get a good taste of what it's all about.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 21:34 on May 9, 2018

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I just read about Critical Role for the first time in this thread and then suddenly I get the message about Pillars of Eternity II getting day-one Critical Role-themed voice packs and portraits and I wonder why I have been so accursed this day

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Dr. Quarex posted:

I just read about Critical Role for the first time in this thread and then suddenly I get the message about Pillars of Eternity II getting day-one Critical Role-themed voice packs and portraits and I wonder why I have been so accursed this day

Yeah, some of them did voices for the first game also. (They do voices for a TON of poo poo, actually.) They had the Samurai Champloo voice actor show up as basically Samurai Champloo cleric in an episode.

Here's all the stuff Matt Mercer (The DM) has done. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_Mercer#Video_games

Philthy fucked around with this message at 04:00 on May 10, 2018

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I like putting Critical Role on in the background while I do other things. I couldn't see watching/listening to all 3-4 hours of an episode weekly while paying attention to nothing else though. Also, I just watched the first episode of the new campaign this week after not watching any CR for about 6 months. Holy ads! Is there this much promotional stuff every week now?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

nesbit37 posted:

I like putting Critical Role on in the background while I do other things. I couldn't see watching/listening to all 3-4 hours of an episode weekly while paying attention to nothing else though. Also, I just watched the first episode of the new campaign this week after not watching any CR for about 6 months. Holy ads! Is there this much promotional stuff every week now?

Only at the beginning and at the 15 min break about 1.5-2hrs in. They usually have a little skit for whatever movie/game donates to their children's writing charity, and one for D&D Beyond who are their major sponsor for this season. It's about 3-5 minutes of "ads" total. When ever they roll a 1, D&D Beyond is donating $100 to 826LA charity. They've rolled a million 1s so far. Last episode someone rolled three 1s in a row. It's nuts how bad their rolls are. (And helps point out why dice based skills need tweaking.)

I usually listen to it while painting. I don't sit and stare at it, either, unless they're doing combat because I like minis.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 10, 2018

Conan the Librarian
Mar 1, 2006

I drink zee beer from zee glass but das boring, das boot? ew yeah das more like it keep pouring

WerrWaaa posted:

I've never done the L5R Karo because I'm scared of not knowing what I'm doing, but L5R is my main crush and I'm going to try to sneak in on a 5e FFG demo.

I, and my group of friends, are from the southern bay area. The L5R living campaign (Heroes of Rokugan now on its 4th incarnation), for all of its flaws, is a very easy entry point into the L5R RPG. I find the battle interactive at Gencon each year to be quite compelling. I haven't sought out the new FFG edition much because I'm mostly satisfied with AEG's 4th edition. Hopefully FFG can find a way to work with the current player base to produce a compelling campaign for the near future.

I'll join up with the group, other than dinner my Wednesday nights are usually boring affairs.

Are there any goons who are interested in doing True Dungeon? I've recently gotten into it along with my friend and now have an absurd collection between us. I'm happy to answer any questions people might have about it.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Are there any goons who are interested in doing True Dungeon? I've recently gotten into it along with my friend and now have an absurd collection between us. I'm happy to answer any questions people might have about it.
MY WIFE is a huge True Dungeon fan, and has roped me into doing it this year. It's not really my cuppa (and is SUPER loving expensive!), but I'll give it a shot.

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015
Its a lot of fun! Plus volunteering for it is a good way to get a free badge and some extra con scratch.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Exhibit hall is up and we're in booth 3058! Not a great spot, but then again what is in Entrepreneur's Avenue.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

My friend and I had a really mixed first experience two years ago (got paired with a group of people who were SUPER into it, tricked us out with all their extra stuff from binders and binders of things, then we did the EXTREME mode or whatever it's called where things are harder but you get more loot, and I pulled something that I flipped the next day for $400). We walked away from it thinking we probably wouldn't do it again, but this year we're going with two other friends who really want to try it out one time. We settled on doing the SEALED quest since it'll put everyone on the same page--has anyone done one of those before?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

nesbit37 posted:

Exhibit hall is up and we're in booth 3058! Not a great spot, but then again what is in Entrepreneur's Avenue.

I love entrepreneurs avenue. People are so much more into the game they're peddling and are stoked that you're stoked about their game.

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015
Sealed runs can be a lot of fun - I'd definitely make sure someone is a bard though to even out the random equipment.
Much better than randoming into a group with someone who has done it twice already and has enough equipment to solo the dungeon anyways.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Radio Free Walrus posted:

Sealed runs can be a lot of fun - I'd definitely make sure someone is a bard though to even out the random equipment.
Much better than randoming into a group with someone who has done it twice already and has enough equipment to solo the dungeon anyways.

The group we rando'ed into the first time told us after the fact that they had done it before and purposely let us figure the puzzles out instead of spoiling them. :shobon:

Conan the Librarian
Mar 1, 2006

Agrias120 posted:

My friend and I had a really mixed first experience two years ago (got paired with a group of people who were SUPER into it, tricked us out with all their extra stuff from binders and binders of things, then we did the EXTREME mode or whatever it's called where things are harder but you get more loot, and I pulled something that I flipped the next day for $400). We walked away from it thinking we probably wouldn't do it again, but this year we're going with two other friends who really want to try it out one time. We settled on doing the SEALED quest since it'll put everyone on the same page--has anyone done one of those before?

I believe the sealed runs as a distinct run is new this year, people have agreed to do sealed runs before but its just been by informal agreement before.

Ilor posted:

MY WIFE is a huge True Dungeon fan, and has roped me into doing it this year. It's not really my cuppa (and is SUPER loving expensive!), but I'll give it a shot.

Yeah, it went up significantly this year, supposedly to cover a lot of improvements in the dungeon and to allow for a greater variety of runs this year. I'm planning on doing each of the runs once this year.

Deviant posted:

The group we rando'ed into the first time told us after the fact that they had done it before and purposely let us figure the puzzles out instead of spoiling them. :shobon:

This is generally the agreed upon plan for weirdos like myself who have shocking amounts of money tied up in plastic discs. Don't ruin other people's experience and quietly collect your pile of tokens at the end.

The treasure boxes were significantly diluted last year so pulling high value tokens at the end of the dungeon is unlikely. I'm confused as to what motivated this change though it doesn't mean a whole lot to most people in this thread.

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015
Honestly i feel like they diluted it because TDC was way too concentrated. Those boxes were positively stuffed with expensive tokens.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Radio Free Walrus posted:

Honestly i feel like they diluted it because TDC was way too concentrated. Those boxes were positively stuffed with expensive tokens.

This doesn't make sense to me. Is the problem that they gave away so many good tokens at TDC that they drove the price down and pissed off players who spent a bunch of money on tokens that were suddenly worth a lot less?

'Cause making expensive tokens more scarce is going to make them more expensive and I don't really understand why they'd want to drive up prices in the secondary market, which they don't get a cut of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conan the Librarian
Mar 1, 2006

Lawen posted:

This doesn't make sense to me. Is the problem that they gave away so many good tokens at TDC that they drove the price down and pissed off players who spent a bunch of money on tokens that were suddenly worth a lot less?

'Cause making expensive tokens more scarce is going to make them more expensive and I don't really understand why they'd want to drive up prices in the secondary market, which they don't get a cut of.

Yes, exactly this.

The other possibility is that they wanted to make farming runs less enticing to collectors so keep ticket availability open to new players, but that's really what the sealed runs should be about.